Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Friday the 13th Collection (Blu-ray)
$132.99

Trolls World Tour 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.43

Ghostbusters 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.79

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.79

Bait 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.69

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.51

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.18
13 hrs ago
Nurse 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 03-30-2019, 02:22 PM   #3421

May 2014
Default 3D-World wide

Probably been asked before but: It seems as if studios are not releasing 3D discs because at the time discs are release per country of 2D release, there is not a large enough market for them to justify the 3D expense. The title will not receive a region free release because the feature has not been released in theaters in other countries. So it is region encoded justifying the expense of region encoding.
Why is it not a practice that ONCE the feature has been released world wide in theaters and on video, that a region free 3D disc be released for all countries to purchase...thus eliminating the expense of special region encoding?
If a small organization like SCREEN ARCHIVE survives with releasing a smaller number of excellent discs, seems like larger studios could at least break even with world sales of a 3D disc. And keep people like myself happy.

Hope this make sense!!!
Old 03-30-2019, 05:17 PM   #3422
Power Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada

There's really no way to know a specific studio's reasoning for releasing (or not releasing) a 3-D disc in a particular country. But I don't think it has to do with region coding, or any expense (if there is one I can't imagine it'd be much... region coding is usually more about contractual obligations than anything) associated with that.

The vast majority of 3-D Disney discs released in the UK and elsewhere, for example, are region free. Why these aren't released in North America (a much larger market, comparatively)? That's difficult to say. The upcoming release of Ralph Breaks the Internet is exclusive to one country on Earth: Japan. But Japan wasn't where it got its most impressive box office, so why there? Who knows. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of logic to it.
Thanks given by:
br3ttD (03-30-2019), mar3o (03-31-2019), Rui (03-30-2019), T. Warren Scollan (03-30-2019), Variety Films 3D (04-09-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #3423
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

I live in the UK and we're normally really good with 3D releases but Into the Spider-Verse and Ralph Breaks the Internet are absent. Maybe this is the start of a trend rather than a blip.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #3424
Blu-ray Guru

May 2014
Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
There's really no way to know a specific studio's reasoning for releasing (or not releasing) a 3-D disc in a particular country. But I don't think it has to do with region coding, or any expense (if there is one I can't imagine it'd be much... region coding is usually more about contractual obligations than anything) associated with that.

The vast majority of 3-D Disney discs released in the UK and elsewhere, for example, are region free. Why these aren't released in North America (a much larger market, comparatively)? That's difficult to say. The upcoming release of Ralph Breaks the Internet is exclusive to one country on Earth: Japan. But Japan wasn't where it got its most impressive box office, so why there? Who knows. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of logic to it.
I donít get Disney either. One of the reasons people were saying Disney wouldnít release 3D in the USA is that they didnít want to do 3 disc combos as it cost them more to produce. Instead of ditching the dvd they just didnít release the 3D version. Now with their 4K releases they arenít including the dvd. 3D fans would have been okay with that too Disney.
Thanks given by:
mar3o (03-31-2019), Variety Films 3D (04-09-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #3425
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by arob View Post
I donít get Disney either. One of the reasons people were saying Disney wouldnít release 3D in the USA is that they didnít want to do 3 disc combos as it cost them more to produce. Instead of ditching the dvd they just didnít release the 3D version. Now with their 4K releases they arenít including the dvd. 3D fans would have been okay with that too Disney.
The DVD market is bigger than the 3D and 4k market combined.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #3426

Sep 2010

i could care less about 4k pushed on to us after 3d and when they made the 4k tvs they removed the 3d as even a secondary feature.

dont forget needing the same as the 3d.

special 4k player and 4k tv in order to make it worth wild after most us upgraded to the 3d tv systems. Bah money grabbing.

ill stick with my 4 3d tvs thank you.
Thanks given by:
Variety Films 3D (04-09-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #3427
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

I have a 4k tv capable of 3D. I am about to buy a 4K blu ray player. I like the choice of 4K and blu ray. It's a little unfair 3D is because killed off. Ralph Breaks the Internet only available in 3D in Japan. That's harsh.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:11 PM   #3428
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

3D is a feature to provide a specific type of viewing experience. No economic reason for the industry to undermine consumers having this option. Is it just a case of only being satisfied with what is perceived as maximum profit? Why make ten million when cutting back expenses means making ten million and a little bit more?
Old 03-30-2019, 09:34 PM   #3429
Banned

Jun 2008

this thread should be merged with another you know which thread
Old 04-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #3430
Special Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
It's been said that the release of "Oz- The Great and Powerful" killed 3D for Disney because they put that out as a single, 3D-only disc- at the SAME price as their multi-disc sets! (I bought it later from an Ebay seller at a more reasonable price.) I answered a survey from them before 3D had even come onto the market where they asked if I'd prefer a single disc or a whole bunch of them (3D, 2D, DVD, digital copy) and I always answered as few discs as possible, yet they did the exact opposite at first.

Quote:
The DVD market is bigger than the 3D and 4k market combined.
And that's absolutely pathetic. DVD was great when it was new, but it's simply obsolete now.
Thanks given by:
Variety Films 3D (04-09-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 09:31 PM   #3431
Banned

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

If 3D was dead we wouldn't have Aquaman 3D BR from Amazon.
Forget Amazon, order it from Wal-Mart or Best Buy. 3D is alive, and under water this time from DC comics. Amazon is also under water, playing with Saudi Arabia.

If 3D was dead we would have The Wizard of Oz (original) on 4K BR instead of in 3D BR.

If 3D was dead we would have Oz The Great and Powerful on 4K BR instead of in 3D BR.

If 3D was dead we wouldn't have this con version conversation.
Thanks given by:
mredman (04-03-2019), Variety Films 3D (04-09-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 03:04 AM   #3432
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

And that's absolutely pathetic. DVD was great when it was new, but it's simply obsolete now.
Most of DVD's content offerings are not available on Blu-ray. There is nothing obsolete about exclusivity.
Thanks given by:
Lee A Stewart (04-03-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #3433

Mar 2017
Cool The definitive 2D presnetation

With the 30 Hz x 2 eye mode I propose in bradcasting, and the 3D/2D combo disc that I say should be used more and Promoted as a 3D/2D combo disc, or even hide the 3D in small print, (what the 2D people wonít know, woní;t hurt them) like Dolby or DTS, two quesiotns come up.

One: how do you make a definitve 2D veriosn wihtout using an extra disc/more bandwidht:? Answer define one of the eyes as the default 2D perspective.

Two: Which Eye? Currently the default standard is always left eye, but that is artistically the wrong answer.

2 out of 3 people are right eyed. If movie directors are representative of the general populous, 2 out of 3 directors are right eyed. if thatís the case making the default eye the left eye is a stupid as producing ten times as many left handed scissors as right handed ones. when itís 10/1 in favor for right handed.

If youíve ever fired a gun, (or played a light gun video game on a CRT TV before the Wii) you understand the importance of your dominant eye. Itís the one that gives the accurate 2D information, according to your perspective, and the other eye is a supplement for depth. No one is perfectly ambi-oculous. Cameras are perfectly ambi-oculous, itís the people using them that arenít.

To demonstrate, make a square out of your left and right index fingers and thumbs. Now center something in front out you an armís lenght away or more. Keep both eyes open when you do this.

Now close one eye, then open it and close the other eye. And open again. One of the 2 eyes had you centered in the exact same place. The other eye shifted your view so you could no longer see te item you were lining up. Te one that moved little or not at all is your strong eye. That determines your X-Y, ie. 2D framework.

2/3 of the people frame with the right eye, yet the left eye is the default frame electronically. Youíll be sick when you do that. One person had the courage to mention it.

We need to do a test. Put these variables in a 3 variable matrix, One axis is either left eyed or right eyed consumers, the second axis is left eyed and right eyed directors, ands the third is the 3D as the definitive to compare, left eye, right eye, and "different than either eye indivdiuallyí, "made for 2D" copy, as the "control". as the things to compare.

If we find that the 2D version closest to the 3D version is totally based on the Directorís strong eye, then let the Blu ray have a bit indicating left eye default or right eye default.

If it depends completely on the consumer and not the director, then make it a user selectable option, 3D, Left Eye, or Right Eye.

If the control "made for 2D" is closest, then I'll admit Iím wrong.

It also may be some combination of the 2 none of use can foresee.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #3434

Mar 2017
Default Way to repopularize 3D: play well with 2D

I’ve got a four part plan to reintorduce 3D. and all 4 points have a common theme, Make 3D an unlockable feature that will not interfere with the old 2D way of viewing Tv and Movies.

I got 5 key individual points:

1) Make a 3D standard that a) takes just as much bandwidth as 2D and is unnoticeable to 2D audiences. More info : https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=316512

2) Not have separate versions but have a 3D/2D combo disk. Heck, this might give rise to the 4K3D/4K2D disc. More: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=288379

3) Address a problem plaguing 3D/2D combo discs and will plague3D/2D broadcasts if not addressed: forcing left-eye dominance on a 2/3 right-eyed world. See post above.

4) Find to take ANY TV, either your already-exisiting TV, or, if you go TV shopping, the best 2D TV based on your own criteria, (the one you actually buy, but it can be ANY TV), and THEN add 3D to it. More: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=205648

5) finally, stop assuming the way it’s done in the theater is ALWAYS the best way it’s done at home. This applies to 3D, as well as surround sound. This also bolsters point 4, that shutter is also a better 3D. the fact it can be externally added to any TV is one more selling point. More: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=316542

Last edited by the13thman; 05-20-2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: maintenance
Old 04-15-2019, 05:07 PM   #3435
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

If Tiger Woods can make such a historic comeback, so can 3D!
Thanks given by:
BeastCreatureTrapper (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #3436
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
If Tiger Woods can make such a historic comeback, so can 3D!
Yeah, just ask the bookies!
Old 04-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #3437
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Yeah, just ask the bookies!
Wonder how much they lost, Bill.

There was an encore broadcast so I dubbed the 17th hole on. Magnificent.

I once broke 90 on a pitch and putt!
Old 04-16-2019, 02:56 AM   #3438
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Wonder how much they lost, Bill.

There was an encore broadcast so I dubbed the 17th hole on. Magnificent.

I once broke 90 on a pitch and putt!
From my bookie relative, a shit ton. Between Duke not winning and Tiger he aint' going to Vegas this year and he sure as hell won't be taking me!

Yeah golfing is one of the few "sports" I can play and enjoy it to boot. Especially if I am drinking. Ha.ha.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #3439
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
from my bookie relative, a shit ton. Between duke not winning and tiger he aint' going to vegas this year and he sure as hell won't be taking me!:d

yeah golfing is one of the few "sports" i can play and enjoy it to boot. Especially if i am drinking. Ha.ha.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #3440

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by arob View Post
The reason Disney kept the DVD in the pack is at the time there were a TON of minivans with DVD players in them and parents would buy Disney movies for the kids. Now parents don't care about those entertainment systems in the minivan because the kids are on their tablets and devices. The way I bring movies for my kids on long road trips is an Intel NUC with Plex on it and their Fire tablets. A decade makes a difference.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3d t.v, 3d tv production halted, 4k3d, broadcast, external processor, ode, poping, resurrection