Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Local Hero (Blu-ray)
$27.37
12 hrs ago
Murder! (Blu-ray)
$19.98
5 hrs ago
Men in Black: International 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Conjuring Universe Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.48

The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.38

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Banana Splits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
The Bourne Classified Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies

Old 01-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #3041
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
You don't get it. Pro calibrators use tools to measure how different levels of TM affect picture. They don't go by personal preference. I think they had tested 3/7 to be the limit before severe artefacts and SOE creep up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Well 3/7 is SOE delux on my set.I think people Are using 2 after the new FW

Sent fra min Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F via Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #3042
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2007

DB 0 and DJ 2 or 3 always worked for me.

Thats another nice thing about the Sony, Smooth 3 and Clear 0 looks excellent with no artifacts.

I ordered the A1E 65" from Robert Sunday, with break in and calibration. Should have it in 3 weeks or so. After owning a 2017 Sony with the X1 Extreme chip, I do not want another LG until they prove to me they improved their video processing.
Thanks given by:
shield80 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #3043
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
DB 0 and DJ 2 or 3 always worked for me.

Thats another nice thing about the Sony, Smooth 3 and Clear 0 looks excellent with no artifacts.

I ordered the A1E 65" from Robert Sunday, with break in and calibration. Should have it in 3 weeks or so. After owning a 2017 Sony with the X1 Extreme chip, I do not want another LG until they prove to me they improved their video processing.
Sony always have better motion then LG had Even my VT60 has better motion then my B6 has,but the 2018 modell Will have black frame insertion, if it works time Will tell and they have new chipset to,alpha 7 on B8 and alpha 9 on C8 and up let's see if it is gonna improve things.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #3044
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2007

Here is the problem with BFI, you can use it on SDR fine... BUT, you cannot use it on HDR. So anything you watch HDR10 or DV, you still have motion problems. I know, I have a 1300 nit Sony right now, BFI is great on SDR, but I can't use it on HDR. In that aspect, Trumotion cant keep up with Motionflow.
Thanks given by:
shield80 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #3045
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Here is the problem with BFI, you can use it on SDR fine... BUT, you cannot use it on HDR. So anything you watch HDR10 or DV, you still have motion problems. I know, I have a 1300 nit Sony right now, BFI is great on SDR, but I can't use it on HDR. In that aspect, Trumotion cant keep up with Motionflow.
I see,but it least it works for SDR,then they need to go back to the bench and figure out away to get better motion on HDR without it becomes SOE.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #3046
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
So I was right in that de-judder 2-3 is the best compromise between heavy judder and heavy SOE.
Are you selling your E6?
Old 01-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #3047
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2007

Since I set my Sony on Smooth 3 Clear 0, I never even touch BFI, it is set it and forget it. That works on both the OLED and LCD's.

The main issue I had with LG and DJ 2 or 3, you see artifacts on stuff like helicopter blades, where the Sony has that down.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #3048
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
You don't get it. Pro calibrators use tools to measure how different levels of TM affect picture. They don't go by personal preference. I think they had tested 3/7 to be the limit before severe artefacts and SOE creep up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
There Are videos you can use to test what TM to use on your set,like Spears and Munsli have one,maybe wow has one to idk,or you can find it on the net too.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #3049
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Since I set my Sony on Smooth 3 Clear 0, I never even touch BFI, it is set it and forget it. That works on both the OLED and LCD's.

The main issue I had with LG and DJ 2 or 3, you see artifacts on stuff like helicopter blades, where the Sony has that down.
Yea I don't like the TM on LG to much SOE Even on 1,Sony always had it down when it comes to motion,no artifacts

Old 01-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #3050
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shield80 View Post
There Are videos you can use to test what TM to use on your set,like Spears and Munsli have one,maybe wow has one to idk,or you can find it on the net too.

I was asking the experts who have already tested TruMotion extensively on 2016 LG Oled
Old 01-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #3051
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2007

Quote:
Yea I don't like the TM on LG to much SOE Even on 1,Sony always had it down when it comes to motion,no artifacts

Sonys Smooth Gradation is something everyone needs to figure out. It removes banding and posturization from lower sources without hurting PQ, it is pretty sweet. Allegedly LG's new A9 chip is trying to compete with the X1 Extreme, so hopefully LG makes some improvements.
Thanks given by:
shield80 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #3052
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
I was asking the experts who have already tested TruMotion extensively on 2016 LG Oled
LOL,high and might you have become,well was only trying to help you with your motion settings,but if you gonna be douch about then piss off

Old 01-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #3053
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

ZD9 owners confirmed that Smooth Gradation can help with color banding but at the expenses of background details. To be used with caution and only on titles which are severely affected by heavy banding. The smoother gradation comes at a price (loss of details in backgrounds)
Old 01-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #3054
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
ZD9 owners confirmed that Smooth Gradation can help with color banding but at the expenses of background details. To be used with caution and only on titles which are severely affected by heavy banding. The smoother gradation comes at a price (loss of details in backgrounds)
Have you experienced yourself?do you have ZD9?so what do you know about it.

From Vincent Teoh who know a lot more about it then you will.

The Sony Bravia KD-65ZD9 was capable of delivering a motion resolution (as judged via the horizontally scrolling lines in Chapter 31 of the FPD Benchmark Software Blu-ray disc) of 1080 lines or even higher with [Motionflow] set to “Clear“, though this incurred a slight luminance drop (due to backlight scanning) and mild soap opera effect (SOE). This level of motion clarity could also be achieved by optimising the [Smoothness] and [Clearness] options under the [Motionflow] “Custom” submenu.

My bad Rocky, I thought we were talking about motion, not smooth graduation

We found we didn’t need to push [Smoothness] and [Clearness] to as high as the values required on the Bravia X94C or XD94 to obtain 1080 motion resolution, underlining the ZD9′s superior motion processing. Just like [Motionflow] “Clear“, some soap opera effect (SOE) was unavoidable if [Motionflow] “Custom” was optimised to provide the sharpest motion, but it’s truly mild and acceptable – we’ve always found Sony’s film smoothing to be less offensive than other TV manufacturers’ anywa

Last edited by shield80; 01-17-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #3055
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Here is what the expert use, not that you know that.

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/FPD-Benc...-/321711263091
Old 01-17-2018, 03:52 PM   #3056
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Have you experienced yourself?do you have ZD99?so what do you know about it.

From Vincent Teoh who know a lot more about it then you will.

The Sony Bravia KD-65ZD9 was capable of delivering a motion resolution (as judged via the horizontally scrolling lines in Chapter 31 of the FPD Benchmark Software Blu-ray disc) of 1080 lines or even higher with [Motionflow] set to “Clear“, though this incurred a slight luminance drop (due to backlight scanning) and mild soap opera effect (SOE). This level of motion clarity could also be achieved by optimising the [Smoothness] and [Clearness] options under the [Motionflow] “Custom” submenu.

We found we didn’t need to push [Smoothness] and [Clearness] to as high as the values required on the Bravia X94C or XD94 to obtain 1080 motion resolution, underlining the ZD9′s superior motion processing. Just like [Motionflow] “Clear“, some soap opera effect (SOE) was unavoidable if [Motionflow] “Custom” was optimised to provide the sharpest motion, but it’s truly mild and acceptable – we’ve always found Sony’s film smoothing to be less offensive than other TV manufacturers’ anywa
Smooth Gradation in Sony has nothing to do with Motionflow. Two different things
Old 01-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #3057
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2007

Even DNice commended Gradation Low. I have left it off on 1080p and 2160p streaming until I see banding in a sky, etc..., and then pause it and turn it on and off. I see no loss of detail, but it sure cleans things up.

Even Vincent Teoh loves it.
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (01-17-2018), shield80 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #3058
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Even DNice commended Gradation Low. I have left it off on 1080p and 2160p streaming until I see banding in a sky, etc..., and then pause it and turn it on and off. I see no loss of detail, but it sure cleans things up.

Even Vincent Teoh loves it.
I love it too on my Sony projector too, as long as it's kept on low and it helps with some content.
Liongate is known for terrible banding issues so that woud be a good example of when to use SG on low. But honetsly if the source is high quality I would rather keep it off because it can work almost like NR by blurring out some of the details in the background of the picture if we dont act carefully.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #3059
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
that is not smooth gradation MR I'm the right in everything I say.

Motion

We found we didn’t need to push [Smoothness] and [Clearness] to as high as the values required on the Bravia X94C or XD94 to obtain 1080 motion resolution, underlining the ZD9′s superior motion processing. Just like [Motionflow] “Clear“, some soap opera effect (SOE) was unavoidable if [Motionflow] “Custom” was optimised to provide the sharpest motion, but it’s truly mild and acceptable – we’ve always found Sony’s film smoothing to be less offensive than other TV manufacturers’ anyway.

Video Processing
The upscaling quality on 2015 and 2016 Sony Bravias has been good though never stellar, but the KD65ZD9 – featuring the Japanese maker’s new and improved X1 Extreme processor – is a totally different beast. According to our tests, the display boasts the best standard-def upconversion we’ve seen from a consumer-grade TV so far, outperforming even that delivered by the superb OPPO 103 Blu-ray player.

A 576i SMPTE RP-133 test card looked amazingly clean and sharp on the Sony ZD9, with no noticeable ringing, fizzing or junk pixels. Until today we’ve consistently rated Samsung as having the best in-TV scaling solution not necessarily because it’s the sharpest, but because it’s the most forgiving – our opinion may now change with the 65ZD9.

We’ve previously lamented the omission of [Smooth Gradation] from Sony’s 2015 and 2016 Android-based Bravia TVs, so imagine our delight when we discovered that this wonderful video processing feature has been reinstated on the KD65ZD9BU. For the uninitiated, [Smooth Gradation] is a useful option (we’ve only seen it offered on Sony televisions and projectors) to smooth out on-screen contouring by utilising the internal video processing’s higher bit depth. Here are the results when applied to an 8-bit gradient ramp from the AVSHD test disc:

See the difference,.smooth gradation is not motion, wow you need to pay attention in class.
What's your point again??
Old 01-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #3060
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
I love it too on my Sony projector too, as long as it's kept on low and it helps with some content.
Liongate is known for terrible banding issues so that woud be a good example of when to use SG on low. But honetsly if the source is high quality I would rather keep it off because it can work almost like NR by blurring out some of the details in the background of the picture if we dont act carefully.
O know it is I love it too and 2 sec ago it was it loses details when using it.make up your mind dude.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies