Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99
17 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Perfect Blue (Blu-ray)
$20.67
11 hrs ago
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.38

Conjuring Universe Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.48

The Bourne Classified Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hellboy (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies

Old 02-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #4001
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
If you watch like that wouldn't age the display too quickly possibly causing burn-in at some point?
Burn in I don't have burn in.

I have bought a new tv long before it is too aged��

Last edited by shield80; 02-17-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #4002
Expert Member

Feb 2007
Default Dolby Vision :: 'not too bright'? :: 'definitely not'

Dolby Vision ('not too bright')
  • thank you ("Well it's not my tv or eyes")
  • answer :: definitely not (never an issue with regards to "brightness'' with regards to Dolby Vision content/viewing)
  • to be clear :: HDR 'highlights' (not-clipped) by their nature, 'should always be the appropriate brightness', given presentation capabilities of both content/display, so long as 'detail is not sacrificed' (this represents my point/perspective)
  • Dolby Vision (unlike HDR10) :: inherently maintains a proper balance of contrast/color, 'always' presenting a 'more natural/realistic picture quality' than HDR10, which when contrasted appears 'artificial', if not intolerable (this, as i 'see-it' - 'enjoy-it'), not-to-mention an by-product of Dolby Vision (for my eyes only?) that an obvious 'apparent-improvement' in resolution is also presented, which makes sense to me (upon considerable reflection/viewing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shield80 View Post
Well it's not my tv or eyes

but DV is not to bright for you?

Last edited by jibucha; 02-17-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #4003
Expert Member

Feb 2007

my apology (the confusion)
  • yes :: that '700-nits' is 'enough' (for me) display light output for 'HDR', which was 'exactly my intended point'
  • an additional clarification :: i further 'feel' that, for example, even '300-nits' might be enough for an 'pleasureable' HDR 'viewing' of UHD (at least i 'think so')
  • yes :: that '1500-nits' (HDR10) would 'easily' be intolerable to view (certainly requiring a 'display-turn-off - - - 'for myself/my eyes/my viewing enjoyment')
  • no :: that '1500-nits' (Dolby Vision) would 'easily' be an 'acceptable improvement to my viewing of UHD, that i would expect to be 'a richer viewing experience', given 'quality content production'
  • and :: i do understand 'tone-mapping' and also, the inherent problems of HDR10, and the 'extensive benefits' of Dolby Vision 'beyond just HDR itself' (all the implied details, i might add)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
This is one confusing post.

Unless you are trying to say that 700 nits is more than enough for "good" HDR and you personally don't need 1500+ nits to burn your eyeballs out? Which I think is perfectly fair and fine in itself btw.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #4004
Expert Member

Feb 2007

just a few 'helpful' thoughts?
  • burn in (LG B7) :: highly unlikely, especially at these settings, which as i recall are 'default', so the display should be expected to be 'safe' in this regard
  • furthermore :: LG OLED displays (7-Series/8-Series/9-Series) currently, should be expected to perform without image retention related performance issues
  • lastly :: LG OLED displays have come a long way with regards to image retention, so much so (regardless continuing controversy in this regard) that given 'so-called normal-use' that the expectation should be that 'all is well' finally

Quote:
If you watch like that wouldn't age the display too quickly possibly causing burn-in at some point?

Last edited by jibucha; 02-17-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:07 PM   #4005
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Burn in I don't have burn in.

I have bought a new tv long before it is too aged��
What about for those that don't upgrade after every CES? Those that what to keep their displays until there is something major that comes out? I don't want to upgrade until micro-led comes. I don't want to purchase another LED or OLED TV, I don't consider that an upgrade. Will OLED last long enough until Micro-LED?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #4006
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibucha View Post

just a few 'helpful' thoughts?
  • burn in (LG B7) :: highly unlikely, especially at these settings, which as i recall are 'default', so the display should be expected to be 'safe' in this regard
  • furthermore :: LG OLED displays (7-Series/8-Seroes/9-Series) currently, should be expected to perform without image retention related performance issues
  • lastly :: LG OLED displays have come a long way with regards to image retention, so much so (regardless continuing controversy in this regard) that given 'so-called normal-use' that the expectation should be that 'all is well' finally
With all that said, aggressive ABL is one of the tools used by LG and others to combat burn-in. Therefore there must be something to running a TV with the brightness(including the OLED light) set real high, premature aging of the OLED panel and burn-in.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #4007
Expert Member

Feb 2007
Default LG OLED :: 'replacement cycles'

LG OLED :: 'replacement cycles'?
  • first :: i currently own an LG 55OLEDC7P
  • originally :: it was my intention to replace my display yearly
  • yes :: after each CES
  • however :: i 'still' own my C7 and have no idea when it will be replaced (could be another five years or so; simply doesn't matter, as i am 'more than happy' with it
  • why was i originally intending to replace yearly? :: simply, for 'whatever improvements might occur', which i 'always appreciate' and enjoy
  • would i appreciate/acquire an C8/C9 (yearly) - - certainly!
  • do the 'yearly improvements' matter to me? :: certainly :: C8/C9 (calibration related improvements - 3DLUT/color accuracy - processor power - and, much more, that i am not thinking about at this moment in time)
  • problem? :: i am 'highly satisfied' with my C7 (while i do not lust for the C8/C9, i definitely would appreciate/like to have one now, but as i said, $$$ does matter and i am not willing to take a loss on my purchase, so i simply 'hardly think about it', although unusually aware of what 'i am missing' on a daily basis)
  • please keep in mind :: money always matters, but (for myself) so does display performance
  • my only regret? :: most likely, i wlll not replace until 2020/2021, or later (and, 'it's too big for my liking')
  • what will i purchase next? :: most likely an LG OLED (smallest possible, with 43" (my) ideal size
  • why not microLED? :: while i look forward to the time when i will, from what i perceive occurring is that 'miniLED' is masquarding as 'microLED'
  • note :: 'true' microLED is currently simply unblieveably expensive :: it's clearly an interesting technology (i have seen it already for many years now) but given production related issues, unfortunately it might just be awhile :: and, it depends (for myself) whom i would purchase from when it's avaiilable (unfortunately, Samsung does not have my trust currently - for many reasons)
  • when are you going to upgrade? :: i completely agree with you, that you should 'only do so' when you 'want to'; there's simply no other reason that i can think of that makes sense - whenever/whatever, that might be
  • 8K (i almost forgot) :: that's another emerging display replacement issue, that will seriously affect my 'display purchase(s)' decision(s) :: yes (i already want it - viewing SD/HD/UHD1, with hardly any expectation of watching 'native UHD2', which would certainly be a treat (for me, in this lifetime)

Quote:
What about for those that don't upgrade after every CES? Those that what to keep their displays until there is something major that comes out? I don't want to upgrade until micro-led comes. I don't want to purchase another LED or OLED TV, I don't consider that an upgrade. Will OLED last long enough until Micro-LED?

Last edited by jibucha; 02-18-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:34 PM   #4008
Expert Member

Feb 2007

i forgot (my apology)
  • no one should 'ever replace a display' until they 'want to'
  • makes sense?
  • actually :: you have 'clearly detailed 'why/when' one could/should consider a display replacement
  • certainly :: your thinking makes sense to me
  • Will OLED last long enough until Micro-LED? :: definitely, and, 'then some'
  • note (OLED) :: we all, might be surprised 'just how long' that OLED 'might be more-than-relevant', for so many reasons, in the forthcoming 8K-era and the impending display technologies :: after all, OLED (as i perceive/see it, is quite compelling, to say-the-least)

Quote:
Old 02-17-2019, 10:49 PM   #4009
Expert Member

Feb 2007

to be honest (at the moment)
  • ABL :: i have no concern(s)/issue(s) in this regard
  • perhaps i am 'ignorant'?
  • however, i do enjoy/watch content for hours daily (for a few years now - 2,000/hrs+) without reservation(s)
  • "must"? :: here, we certainly disagree (for 'many-many' reasons)
  • possibly? :: you're 'over-thinking' things?
  • for myself :: i simply am enjoying my display daily, and intend to continue doing so; without 'any' reservations
  • OLED (settings)? :: remember, it's simply an artriburary 'reference number' that the designer/manufacturer assigns
  • LG OLED (design) :: do you really think that LG Display (design group) doesn't know what they're doing/thinking?
  • for myself :: all is fine, and i do have one to enjoy regularly

Quote:
With all that said, aggressive ABL is one of the tools used by LG and others to combat burn-in. Therefore there must be something to running a TV with the brightness(including the OLED light) set real high, premature aging of the OLED panel and burn-in.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #4010
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
I upgrade every 3-4 years

It will last 200000 hours they say so that is a long time and I guess you would have change your tv before that.

So when M-Led comes out your OLED will last long after that too.

Last edited by shield80; 02-17-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #4011
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
I upgrade every 3-4 years

It will last 200000 hours they say so that is a long time and I guess you would have change your tv before that.

So when M-Led comes out your OLED will last long after that too.
You change TV every 3-4 years?
Old 02-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #4012
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
You have some people that upgrade TV'S like cell phones, 1-2 years.
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #4013
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Is there a way to get lossless audio on LG Oled 2016 while playing content from Plex apps or from external drives? HDMI ARC is limited to lossy audio, it seems
Old 02-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #4014
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
If I am happy with my tv then yea every 3-4 years
Old 02-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #4015
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
If I am happy with my tv then yea every 3-4 years
I don't ever want to replace my 55C6...Ever
Thanks given by:
deanandmaria (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #4016
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
I don't ever want to replace my 55C6...Ever
when I buy a new tv my B7 is going in my living room and my plasma is going in my bedroom, so I am not going to get rid of it
Old 02-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #4017
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
An interesting unboxing video of the 2016 E model.I cant see anyone who has experienced backlight-less panels go back to LED!

Unboxing and Basic Set up of LG OLED65E6P - YouTube
There many that have gone back to backlight LED. If could find a new Z9D I probably would go back to backlight as I get more and more frustrated with crushed blacks from my OLED.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #4018
Special Member

Oct 2010

I am so glad I got it pro calibrated, it made a huge difference in color and got more shadow details etc
Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #4019
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

This is the new crayons thread. It's black crayon.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #4020
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
There many that have gone back to backlight LED. If could find a new Z9D I probably would go back to backlight as I get more and more frustrated with crushed blacks from my OLED.
Best Buy was selling Sony ZD9 for $2000
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies