Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
20 hrs ago
Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73
3 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.00
20 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 07-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #561
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

4K or even 8K by itself has minimal value in TVs below 75", but with a 4K TV you also get HDR and HDR always includes a much higher contrast panel, 10 bit so you get 1096 steps of illumination vs. FHD dislays that are limited to 225 steps of gradation.

With a 4K TV you also get EOTF that mimicks how the human visual system sees contrast and a much larger color pallet and better color saturation vs. the old rec.709 color gamut that FHD TVs are limited to.
Thanks given by:
HDTV1080P (07-10-2019), panasonicst60 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #562

Sep 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluyoda View Post
I absolutely will. Have had my Pioneer Kuro 50inch for 10 years now, and this year I have noticed raised shadow brightness being emitted, which makes for a less than ideal viewing experience. Is there anything that can be done about it?
I believe a factory reset is required ever so often on kuros as this will happen over time. You may need to go on avs forums for more info.
Thanks given by:
Bluyoda (07-13-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #563
Power Member

Sep 2012
On Radford near the In 'N Out Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
4K or even 8K by itself has minimal value in TVs below 75", but with a 4K TV you also get HDR and HDR always includes a much higher contrast panel, 10 bit so you get 1096 steps of illumination vs. FHD dislays that are limited to 225 steps of gradation.

With a 4K TV you also get EOTF that mimicks how the human visual system sees contrast and a much larger color pallet and better color saturation vs. the old rec.709 color gamut that FHD TVs are limited to.
Thank you Robert. Very informative as usual. As a plasma owner myself I am waiting for OLED's to drop in price. My panel is a Panasonic 55VT50 from 2012 that is still going strong so I really cannot justify going to OLED at the moment, even though I own a 4K player and movies. And now I'm also hearing MicroLED's are being pushed for consumer production in the near future.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #564
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post

I hear you Robert but at SOME point this "arms race" has got to end. We're going to reach a point where there's only so much your eyes can perceive.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #565
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

True, and with 4K HDR we're almost there. I've been researching and putting together some of the many attributes of the 4K HDR capibilies compared to the human visual system.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #566
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
I hear you Robert but at SOME point this "arms race" has got to end. We're going to reach a point where there's only so much your eyes can perceive.
I thought we were pretty close to being there already lol

Anyways it looks like a 55" TV might actually suit my needs which if that's the case I can look at the LG C9 OLED 55" which is about the same price at a 65" Sony 8 or 950G
Old 07-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #567
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

It's always amazed me how many times we've heard the "Your eyes can't see more than X" line and each time we seem to end up with new tech in TV that pushes PQ further and we can notice it have a tangiblw effect.

I think we still need a more finessed TV tech than OLED. Something that gives perfect black, motion, colour and so on. We haven't reached that "perfect" display at large and consumer friendly price points just yet. So for me, there's still loads of areas to improve TVs as a whole. That's why i'm excited to see where we end up. My dream TVs are probably 65" and larger at sub <2k with all the bells and whistles. Perhaps 2030-40 is the years i feel we'll be much closer to that ideal of a "perfect" TV.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #568
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
It's always amazed me how many times we've heard the "Your eyes can't see more than X" line and each time we seem to end up with new tech in TV that pushes PQ further and we can notice it have a tangiblw effect.

I think we still need a more finessed TV tech than OLED. Something that gives perfect black, motion, colour and so on. We haven't reached that "perfect" display at large and consumer friendly price points just yet. So for me, there's still loads of areas to improve TVs as a whole. That's why i'm excited to see where we end up. My dream TVs are probably 65" and larger at sub <2k with all the bells and whistles. Perhaps 2030-40 is the years i feel we'll be much closer to that ideal of a "perfect" TV.
Meh, I think some of that is placebo effect. We see what we want to see sometimes.
Thanks given by:
Twm1988 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #569
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
I
I think we still need a more finessed TV tech than OLED. Something that gives perfect black, motion, colour and so on. We haven't reached that "perfect" display at large and consumer friendly price points just yet. So for me, there's still loads of areas to improve TVs as a whole.
TV can only do so much. Unless you're on location, or travel around the world and see different people, places and things, TV is not going to look any better. TV is fine, but it's nothing like being there. What we see in HD and 4K with HDR and Dolby Vision with all of the artificial video enhancements, images doesn't look like that in real life. It's a technology.

Last edited by slimdude; 07-15-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:25 AM   #570

May 2010

After swearing I'd never upgrade my plasma I took advantage of a recent sale and purchased a LG B8 55' OLED. So glad that I did. The difference is like night and day, even with 1080p content. The colours pop more (and that's when watching using the ISF Expert Dark Room Mode) and I love the deep blacks. The added internet functionality is much appreciated too. HDR material via Amazon Prime takes things up another notch.

As someone who watches mostly movies and TV shows, my biggest concern was motion handling and I've yet to notice any issues. I have all motion processing options switched off and only Real Cinema turned on. That was a huge relief as I am very sensitive to any video and audio issues, so it was great not to see any problems as they would have driven me nuts.

Last edited by Shemp; 07-15-2019 at 05:51 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs