Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$54.99
1 hr ago
The Equalizer 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.55
 
The Blackening 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
The Deer Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 hr ago
Streets of Fire 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 hr ago
The Flash 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Star Trek: Picard - The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$31.95
8 hrs ago
Rudy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
 
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? - Season 4 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$48.33
 
Silver Bullet 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.00
 
The Street Fighter Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
NotASpeckOfCereal NotASpeckOfCereal is offline
Power Member
 
NotASpeckOfCereal's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Default Netflix Disc Rental Future

Hey all,

I'd like to start a thread about the future of Netflix disc rental. If this isn't the appropriate forum area, feel free to re-direct.

I am a Netflix subscriber of both disc and streaming. When I tell friends this, I actually get some questions about discs. "What do you mean, the actual DVDs?" I explain the disc thing saying "Yes, and blu-rays too", how Netflix was once disc only (it wasn't that long ago) and streaming used to be a free add-on, only later to be charged for and then become the main Netflix business model in the battle for original content, etc.

If the conversation goes further I explain the differences—such as the fidelity difference, which often gets me blank stares—but mostly I try to point out the availability problem:
  • Netflix streaming does not offer anything near the number of film titles they have on disc, much less all that is available today.
  • TV shows I am interested in, but don't subscribe to huge cable channel packages (Hulu. SyFy, USA, HBO, FX, etc.): I can just rent the season when it's available on disc, but that's starting to disappear now that they want you to pay for streaming.
So my main question to you for this thread is: will Netflix continue to have disc rental in the foreseeable future, or is the end already near?

If not Netflix, what other means do we have to keep physical media alive, because buying the discs?

On the topic of disc ownership, I own a pretty good library, but we're starting to see some titles not coming out on disc. For now, it seems to be mostly TV series mentioned above, but I worry about tomorrow and I mostly fear for film titles becoming streaming-only.

Discuss!

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
robtadrian (07-12-2019)
Old 06-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
MifuneFan MifuneFan is offline
Blu-ray King
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
14
956
69
Default

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
NotASpeckOfCereal (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
splintersan splintersan is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
splintersan's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
10
486
11
19
Default

I think they'll continue with the Disc aspect of their business for a few more years at least. Until they don't see a profit for an extended period of time.

I ended up dropping the disc base portion of it last year after being a subscriber for over 10 years. I got to a point where I could not keep up with the discs coming in and was just wasting money. I buy too many blurays that they don't carry to justify the extra cost each month. If they had a better selection and availability I would probably have convinced my self to keep it. I waited on average 2-4 weeks for a new release, I used to have a shipping center in the city next to where I live but they closed up shop and the closest one was two states over so my movies were taking 3-4 days to ship back and forth. I used to be able to work it where I could get two movies a week with shipping, it turned into 1 movie every week and half.

I too worry about films only coming to streaming and no physical release so if there is a contract dispute or they don't feel like renewing anything the film can just disappear. There are a lot of Shudder exclusive films I would love to own and while I've seen a few pop up on disc not all of them. Same with the Netflix exclusives. Okja I would love a beautiful bluray or UHD of it. Because that was joint funding we may end up with a Korean bluray at some point down the road. But other films are not so lucky.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
SleazyForWeasley (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
filmbuffTX filmbuffTX is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
filmbuffTX's Avatar
 
May 2015
115
5953
2221
1485
2
16
Default

I just canceled my Netflix disc rental subscription yesterday. I had a 30 day free trial since I was a former customer and did one month paid at $14.99 for 2 discs at a time.

It’s a good service, but I just can’t justify the cost when I have a cable subscription with all of the movie channels, Netflix streaming, Hulu, Amazon Prime, as well as movies that I own that I haven’t watched. It’s just overkill.

Same deal when the XM Radio sales rep called me last night wanting me to buy a subscription package before my free trial runs out. I have terrestrial radio, podcasts from my cell phone, Amazon Music, I Heart Radio, Pandora. It’s overkill.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
AmishParadise AmishParadise is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
AmishParadise's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Central Florida
23
2
Default Different strokes for different folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuffTX View Post
I just canceled my Netflix disc rental subscription yesterday. I had a 30 day free trial since I was a former customer and did one month paid at $14.99 for 2 discs at a time.

It’s a good service, but I just can’t justify the cost when I have a cable subscription with all of the movie channels, Netflix streaming, Hulu, Amazon Prime, as well as movies that I own that I haven’t watched. It’s just overkill.

Same deal when the XM Radio sales rep called me last night wanting me to buy a subscription package before my free trial runs out. I have terrestrial radio, podcasts from my cell phone, Amazon Music, I Heart Radio, Pandora. It’s overkill.
I just can't justify the cost of all these cable/sat movie packages and streaming services. (Movies at times with station logos, altered aspect ratios and inferior picture/audio quality. No thanks.) It's overkill when I have plenty to choose from via my Netflix disc rental subscription not to mention all the movies and TV shows I actually own which I purchase on Blu-ray.

I just can't justify all these audio (music, news, talk) streaming services. It's overkill when I have plenty to choose from via my SiriusXM subscription (which includes exclusive content I listen to daily) not to mention all the music I actually own which I purchase on disc and digitally.

See, two can play at that game. All in good fun my friend. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 06-28-2018 at 07:35 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul.R.S (07-16-2018)
Old 11-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #6
ERYTALI ERYTALI is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuffTX View Post
I just canceled my Netflix disc rental subscription yesterday. I had a 30 day free trial since I was a former customer and did one month paid at $14.99 for 2 discs at a time.

It’s a good service, but I just can’t justify the cost when I have a cable subscription with all of the movie channels, Netflix streaming, Hulu, Amazon Prime, as well as movies that I own that I haven’t watched. It’s just overkill.

Same deal when the XM Radio sales rep jiofi.local.html tplinklogin is it down called me last night wanting me to buy a subscription package before my free trial runs out. I have terrestrial radio, podcasts from my cell phone, Amazon Music, I Heart Radio, Pandora. It’s overkill.
On the topic of disc ownership, I own a pretty good library, but we're starting to see some titles not coming out on disc. For now, it seems to be mostly TV series mentioned above, but I worry about tomorrow and I mostly fear for film titles becoming streaming-only.

Last edited by ERYTALI; 11-08-2019 at 11:24 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
NotASpeckOfCereal NotASpeckOfCereal is offline
Power Member
 
NotASpeckOfCereal's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERYTALI View Post
On the topic of disc ownership, I own a pretty good library, but we're starting to see some titles not coming out on disc. For now, it seems to be mostly TV series mentioned above, but I worry about tomorrow and I mostly fear for film titles becoming streaming-only.
That's the big fear.

Ironic that you were responding to a user named filmbuffTX, who canceled Netflix disc service due to all the cable / channel subscriptions they have (including "movie channels").

But those channels just don't have all of the films that a true film buff would want access to. Netflix disc service is the only way I know to find certain films, other than the odd brick-and-mortar store rental-store hold-outs (not many of them left) that have large collections. Or buying the disc for your own collection, if you can find it (netflix has quite a few out of print titles).

Even the Netflix streaming service offering of film titles is píss poor, pales in comparison to dvd.com.

Then there's the crappy quality of streaming, which I guess isn't a deal-breaker for some people.

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
iambrians iambrians is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERYTALI View Post
On the topic of disc ownership, I own a pretty good library, but we're starting to see some titles not coming out on disc. For now, it seems to be mostly TV series mentioned above, but I worry about tomorrow and I mostly fear for film titles becoming streaming-only.
What's all with those links is this acc hacked or something?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:50 AM   #9
filmbuffTX filmbuffTX is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
filmbuffTX's Avatar
 
May 2015
115
5953
2221
1485
2
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
How the heck do you justify the absurd cost of a cable subscription with all the movie channels?
I follow sports and my local sports teams play their regular season games on a cable network. I also like to be able to watch the nationally televised games on TNT, ESPN, and NFL Network. I like to be able to watch series as they air and not have to wait 6 months to a year to watch them on disc or streaming. I DVR movies and series and watch them at my leisure. Many that aren't available on disc or streaming. I also watch a bit of cable news. There's a lot of good content on cable TV. I still watch movies 90% of the time on disc.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #10
MifuneFan MifuneFan is offline
Blu-ray King
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
14
956
69
Default

Wow, I just found out Netflix owns DVD.com. Their disc business is apparently still hugely profitable.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
NotASpeckOfCereal (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #11
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
140
841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Wow, I just found out Netflix owns DVD.com. Their disc business is apparently still hugely profitable.
It is kind of that just a few million disc renters makes them a large part of their profit as compared to > 100 million streamers.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
NotASpeckOfCereal (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #12
TripleHBK TripleHBK is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
TripleHBK's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE
52
145
3227
659
17
39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotASpeckOfCereal View Post
Hey all,

I'd like to start a thread about the future of Netflix disc rental. If this isn't the appropriate forum area, feel free to re-direct.

I am a Netflix subscriber of both disc and streaming. When I tell friends this, I actually get some questions about discs. "What do you mean, the actual DVDs?" I explain the disc thing saying "Yes, and blu-rays too", how Netflix was once disc only (it wasn't that long ago) and streaming used to be a free add-on, only later to be charged for and then become the main Netflix business model in the battle for original content, etc.

If the conversation goes further I explain the differences—such as the fidelity difference, which often gets me blank stares—but mostly I try to point out the availability problem:
  • Netflix streaming does not offer anything near the number of film titles they have on disc, much less all that is available today.
  • TV shows I am interested in, but don't subscribe to huge cable channel packages (Hulu. SyFy, USA, HBO, FX, etc.): I can just rent the season when it's available on disc, but that's starting to disappear now that they want you to pay for streaming.
So my main question to you for this thread is: will Netflix continue to have disc rental in the foreseeable future, or is the end already near?

If not Netflix, what other means do we have to keep physical media alive, because buying the discs?

On the topic of disc ownership, I own a pretty good library, but we're starting to see some titles not coming out on disc. For now, it seems to be mostly TV series mentioned above, but I worry about tomorrow and I mostly fear for film titles becoming streaming-only.

Discuss!

Chris
There was an article that was recently posted somewhere online that I read that has stated that the physical rental aspect of Netflix has been the only portion that has kept Netflix profitable in the last few years as they've pushed hard for the streaming aspect in several countries (including the US) but that as a whole it's actually been hemorrhaging money. Large sections of the country still utilize DSL with little to no options for speed increases available. It's great that New York and LA have 2gbps internet and Neflix streams at rates equivalent to a disc, but for much of the country that is either a) not available or b) too damn expensive to afford. The physical rental model may not have the luster of streaming to corporate America but it remains the most profitable aspect of that entire business. It won't be going anywhere for awhile.

Further proof of this can be found the by recent announcement that Red Box is going to start carrying WB titles day and date with their official release dates rather than making the machines wait for the 30-60 day release day window that formally was in effect.

I've said it before in the last month and I'll go on a limb and say it again now. Physical media/Streaming/and digital downloads have all sort of found their niche for the moment and we are at a point of equilibrium. All 3 have their markets, but physical media sales still far exceed either of the other delivery methods. As companies each look at their own services and as more and more fragmentation occurs, I would expect that physical media won't just survive, but could actually see a slight rebound in sales in the near future.

The era of the casual consumer having large collections may have passed, but the era of super consumers (ie most of us on this forum) is in full swing and clearly is successful given the sheer number of companies that continue to pop up to release titles.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dustin44 (06-29-2018), NotASpeckOfCereal (06-29-2018), Paul.R.S (07-16-2018), WillieMLF (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 06:01 PM   #13
taymo016 taymo016 is offline
Active Member
 
taymo016's Avatar
 
Jun 2014
-
-
-
13
Default

There was another recent article - http://https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/...ork-there.html

Internal projections see DVD.com lasting until 2025.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
NotASpeckOfCereal (06-29-2018), Paul.R.S (07-16-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:48 AM   #14
Paul.R.S Paul.R.S is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2008
Hollywood, California
69
250
48
1
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taymo016 View Post
There was another recent article - http://https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/...ork-there.html

Internal projections see DVD.com lasting until 2025.
Thanks for this.

The piece ends quoting a customer, Scalise, mentioning/boasting of his queue of "453 movies." Pshaw! I have five profiles with about that many queued discs in each of them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #15
The_Donster The_Donster is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The_Donster's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas
1
216
231
14
Default

I think for me Paul, it is that I don’t get compte towards my bill when they send me a DVD Paul I realize that the lesser known movies are going to be on DVD, but when it is a movie like Schindler’s List they need to upgrade to BD. Because we’re paying for a service we’re not getting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #16
meglos meglos is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2011
65
596
6
1
Default

Count me as a happy Netflix disc by mail customer. Even if it is streaming I'll still wait for the Blu-Ray by mail for the better picture and sound.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
NotASpeckOfCereal (06-29-2018), The_Donster (07-15-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 11:29 PM   #17
alchav21 alchav21 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglos View Post
Count me as a happy Netflix disc by mail customer. Even if it is streaming I'll still wait for the Blu-Ray by mail for the better picture and sound.
You must be hooked up Wireless with Low Bandwidth, because with enough Bandwidth and Consistency you should get Disc Quality!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:44 PM   #18
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4877
3901
1319
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
You must be hooked up Wireless with Low Bandwidth, because with enough Bandwidth and Consistency you should get Disc Quality!
Over here now spreading your false gospel, eh? New location, same misinformation.

Streaming in HD averages a bitrate of just 16 Mbps; a blu-ray disc averages around 25-27 Mbps.

Streaming in 4K averages a bitrate of 25 Mbps; a 4K disc averages a bitrate of 75-80 Mbps.

Both streaming levels only offer lossy audio. Both disc formats can offer lossless audio.

Streaming is much more compressed.

You can stream just fine over a wireless network, too. Most people do exactly that- including a CIO and software engineer that is a personal friend of mine- he streams with no issues over a wireless network. He has told me directly that you do not need to be hard wired in order to stream these anemic bitrates, which average just 25 Mbps for a 4K stream. A properly setup wireless network with even an ancient G standard router can support the streaming bitrates listed above. A N router does it with ease and a new AC router handles it with hands tied behind its back and blind folded.

Therefore, by all objective measures streaming has NOT matched disc quality. Maybe someday, but that someday is not today.

Last edited by Vilya; 06-28-2018 at 11:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:22 AM   #19
alchav21 alchav21 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Streaming in HD averages a bitrate of just 16 Mbps; a blu-ray disc averages around 25-27 Mbps.

Streaming in 4K averages a bitrate of 25 Mbps; a 4K disc averages a bitrate of 75-80 Mbps.

Both streaming levels only offer lossy audio. Both disc formats can offer lossless audio.

Streaming is much more compressed.

You can stream just fine over a wireless network, too. Most people do exactly that- including a CIO and software engineer that is a personal friend of mine- he streams with no issues over a wireless network. He has told me directly that you do not need to be hard wired in order to stream these anemic bitrates, which average just 25 Mbps for a 4K stream. A properly setup wireless network with even an ancient G standard router can support the streaming bitrates listed above. A N router does it with ease and a new AC router handles it with hands tied behind its back and blind folded.

Therefore, by all objective measures streaming has NOT matched disc quality. Maybe someday, but that someday is not today.
Hey Vilya, you know I'm Hard Wired with a Fiber Feed at a Consistent 75Mbps Symmetrical, and my Streaming HD and UHD are Fantastic. Your CIO Engineer must not know that much if he says Wireless is as good as Wired. I watch UHD Movies now on Vudu, and they have ATMOS and the Sound is Outstanding, granted my Sound is Optical Headphones, but that is all I need. Wireless is good enough, but Hard Wired will give you the same Consistent Bandwidth like your Players HDMI Cable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:50 AM   #20
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
552
4877
3901
1319
3
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Hey Vilya, you know I'm Hard Wired with a Fiber Feed at a Consistent 75Mbps Symmetrical, and my Streaming HD and UHD are Fantastic. Your CIO Engineer must not know that much if he says Wireless is as good as Wired. I watch UHD Movies now on Vudu, and they have ATMOS and the Sound is Outstanding, granted my Sound is Optical Headphones, but that is all I need. Wireless is good enough, but Hard Wired will give you the same Consistent Bandwidth like your Players HDMI Cable.
Once again your lack of reading comprehension is simply stunning.

My friend, the software engineer and CIO, knows more now than you could ever hope to in 100 life times. He said a properly setup wireless home network is more than adequate to stream movies. That is not the same thing, at all, as saying that a wired network equals a wireless one.

We already know that you are happy with highly compressed streamed video and lossy audio, played thru head phones at that. You never set the bar very high. Many of us have higher standards, thankfully.

Last edited by Vilya; 06-29-2018 at 12:36 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:04 AM.