Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (DVD)
$33.74
1 day ago
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99

Land (DVD)
$17.96

The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

Godzilla vs. Kong (DVD)
$27.99
1 day ago
The Father (DVD)
$14.99
1 day ago
Vera: Set 10 (DVD)
$20.99

Atlantic Crossing (DVD)
$26.45
19 hrs ago
Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98

The Marksman (DVD)
$17.96

Fuller House: The Fifth and Final Season (DVD)
$17.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 11-12-2019, 12:03 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Spain Inspector Gadget: The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Castillan / English)

I was after the Megaset release, but that's out of print so I just figured I'd make do with this instead and it comes with the Castillan dub which is a nice bonus for me as I enjoy cartoon series/movies and anime series/movies dubbed in Castillan.

Release Date: December 5th, 2019
Disc Quant.: 11
Audio: Castillan, English
Subs: None

Amazon Link

Last edited by ps3bd_owner; 11-12-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Thanks given by:
Nailwraps (11-27-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Sadly, there's bad news.

A Spaniard customer has given his opinion and it's not good at all.

Quote:
1 - Los negativos utilizados son los Americanos de la Edición en DVD. De 2013, al menos para la 2ª Temporada.

2 - Errores de sonido en varios de capítulos en la version inglesa, sobre todo Gadget y Grupppler y El Increíble Gadget Menguante.

3 - Rotulación errónea de CASI TODOS los capítulos de la serie.

4 - Speed up de la cabecera francesa y de la final en las introdujo y en las outros para que cuadren con el máster.

5 - El capitulo “La Colección de monedas” conocido como “Gadget y las Serpientes” o “Snaking all over” viene en Audio latino escudándose en que no se ha podido encontrar el audio original en castellano.

6-Calidad de imagen deja mucho que desear.
So, here's basically what he said:

1) The video footage used for Season 1 was the U.S. one released in 2013. Except Season 2.

2) Various technical audio issues with the English dub, especially on episode 72 (Magic Gadget).

3) Labelling wrong on nearly all episodes.

4) Some sped-up issues.

5) Episode 57 (Snakin' All Over) features the Latin Spanish dub instead of the Castillan dub.

6) Picture quality leaves a lot to desire.

Oh, on another post he confirmed that the pilot episode features Don Adams as Inspector Gadget, unfortunately.

All in all, it sounds like a very disappointing release, but if I resell mine (got it for £16/$20) I think I'll get my money back and keep the physical extras.

I was really hoping this would be awesome.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
I was after the Megaset release, but that's out of print so I just figured I'd make do with this instead
The Mageset is still available. It's about $30 on Amazon right now from Amazon directly (as well as some 3rd party sellers). I actually just recently bought it and received it yesterday.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
The Mageset is still available. It's about $30 on Amazon right now from Amazon directly (as well as some 3rd party sellers). I actually just recently bought it and received it yesterday.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be buying that. However, I'd have hoped this wonderful series would be remastered in HD, but it hasn't happened.

There are so many IG DVD releases, but so little are actually complete and worthy of owning. Still, I've already paid and reserved the Spanish DVD release so I'll just wait to receive it. Hopefully the covers look neat.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

I do like the box art on that Spanish release a lot better than that of the Mega set.

It does stink when they don't put the proper time and care into these releases.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (12-10-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Received it today. In terms of packaging, it actually looks really nice, but the video/audio quality isn't at the same level according to the review I've read.

Photos of the Packaging.

The covers aren't reversible, but each one has a background although it can't be seen too clearly because of the type of cases used.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 04:43 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Packaging-wise, that set is a lot better than the US Megaset. It actually "feels" like Inspector Gadget, where as the Mega set art feels like it was put together by someone who had some stock images to work with, but isn't really familiar with the series. lol

I may have to customize something similar, but in English for the US discs.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

I've skimmed through various episodes with the English dub and have noticed that some are out of synch (or just slightly) on the OP, but the actual episode is synced. However, on the pilot episode it's out of synch all the way, unfortunately.

The picture quality is.. average. I've been hoping that a distributor would release a high quality or remastered the series, but neither seems to have happened so far.

Also, I have tried to find a DVD with the episode "Winter Olympics" with Gary Owens, but haven't had luck finding it anywhere and I wonder if it was even released on DVD at all. Yes, I can find the dub on YouTube although the audio quality is low so I was hoping to find it in better shape than that.

Moreover, Dynamo of Eternia, you're right. The artwork of the Megaset looks very displeasing and even somewhat amateurish for a semi-Collector's Edition of Inspector Gadget. The best thing about that release is really just the discs and its content, to be frank.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (12-14-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Here's a comparison of the Spanish versus the French DVD release. There's not really a lot of complete series' sets, just the Spanish (inc. ES & EN dubs), French (inc. FR dub only) and American (inc. EN dub only) boxsets are, the rest are all incomplete with a bunch of episodes at most.

Comparison 1 (02m40s)
[Show spoiler]

Comparison 2 (15m05s)
[Show spoiler]

Comparison 3 (20m20s)
[Show spoiler]

The reason that the French DVD screenshots are a tad smaller, is that they're from a backup video copy. Otherwise, it would be 720x576.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:51 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

As I have the U.S. releases (Megaset / Original Series) I compared the picture quality, but strange as it is, the Spanish set looks better (more crisp and detailed) even though the French set has a better color scheme.

I bought the Australian 25th Anniversary set so when I get the chance, I'll post a thread with the pros and cons of all these releases.

However, even though the Spanish release is "superior", it's still subpar. This series deserves to be remastered in high definition.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #11

Mar 2017
Texas

Is the US Megaset always supposed to come with the Christmas episode? The Amazon reviews have some people saying they got it and some say they didn't. I am thinking about buying it, but am wondering if there's something to look for to make sure I get a set with the Christmas episode.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:10 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdl797 View Post
Is the US Megaset always supposed to come with the Christmas episode? The Amazon reviews have some people saying they got it and some say they didn't. I am thinking about buying it, but am wondering if there's something to look for to make sure I get a set with the Christmas episode.
Yep, it does. Unfortunately, it's not remastered or anything, but the animation itself isn't very pleasing to look at (the main reason I've still not watched it).

By the way, if you'd want the alternative English dub for the pilot episode then you'll find it on the Australian set (by Magna Pacific).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies