Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
23 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$38.49

Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$22.99
17 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak (Blu-ray)
$22.99
9 hrs ago
The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.99
23 hrs ago
Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Star Trek: Discovery - Season Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$62.99
23 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$179.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 04-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #1641
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Sorry for the late response, I haven't checked this thread in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzamorg View Post
If it's only going to be used for the Mac, but I do need it to work in a Windows computer just to get my stuff off of that computer and to put it onto this one. So what would you advise with that in mind? Thanks for your help.
It's like I said before, format the drive NTFS to plug into the Windows computer and get all the stuff you want off the computer, then plug it into the Mac and transfer all the files to the Mac's internal hard drive. Once you do that, reformat the external hard drive as HFS+ Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is the option in the drop-down when choosing a format. Then if you want, move the files back to the external hard drive to free up space on the internal hard drive (or just leave it, doesn't really matter).

So you'll end up formatting the external hard drive twice, because although FAT32 is universal, it's not a very good file system and is prone to failure from time to time.

If you're only connecting it to Windows once and then only on Mac after that, HFS+ is the way to go (after you do the other steps I mentioned above to transfer your files over).

Another option (if you don't plan on using the Windows computer anymore) is to just rip out the internal hard drive and use something like this to turn it into an external hard drive to move the files over:

But that is a bit advanced, so the swapping formats I originally said might be the best option.

Quote:
Another question (sorry!), is using your external for Time Machine worth it? I see you have to partition it for it to work.
I'll answer the time machine question first. Yes it's worth having a Time Machine backup. The countless times I've been working on a video project and accidentally deleted the HD version of something and had to do it over again... it was so much better once I bought an external drive to use as a dedicated Time Machine backup.

Edit: Almost forgot to answer the second part. To use Time Machine, the external hard drive must be formatted to HFS+, so if it's asking to format the drive for Time Machine, it's because it's in a different format. If you only have one external hard drive, I would suggest getting a second and turning it into a dedicated drive fro Time Machine. The backups will take up a lot of space, and you don't want to have to have old ones deleted until the last possible moment (in case you need something you deleted a month ago; the backup might not be there if Time Machine needed to make space for new backups).

Last edited by Scarface32; 04-10-2015 at 06:35 AM.
Thanks given by:
Pizzamorg (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #1642
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmpathdude View Post
What's the "others" storage in the memory storage of Mac? How do you get rid of it?
Your documents.

The Storage bar shows Movies, Apps, Audio, Photos, Backups, and Other. "Other" is simply anything that isn't a movie, app, photo, etc. So things like Keynote and Pages documents, Final Cut project files, etc.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:39 PM   #1643
Expert Member

Aug 2007
London

Quote:

Didn't think my macbook could get any prettier, then I got this gorgeous case.
i have the self same case for my 13" air, i love it, very sturdy.
Thanks given by:
Pizzamorg (04-10-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #1644
Power Member

Dec 2012
UK

So I am pretty sure the latest Yosemite update has taken a dent out of my MacBooks battery life. It's draining considerably quicker than before and I am now doing anything differently.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #1645
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010
California

Quote:

Love 12South products!
Thanks given by:
Pizzamorg (04-11-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #1646
Special Member

Mar 2009

Quote:

A good way to stop it from being stolen, too. When closed it looks like a real book!
Old 04-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #1647
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014

Like some dusty old encyclopaedia no one is interested in, haha.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:49 PM   #1648
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkavision View Post
Love 12South products!
In my opinion, Pad & Quill have better quality stuff than Twelve South.
Thanks given by:
wonkavision (06-09-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 09:47 PM   #1649
Special Member

Mar 2009

I've been using this software for several years, and it's fantastic! http://macpaw.com/cleanmymac
I've done a ton of research on these "cleaning" softwares, and this one really does the job(w/ zero risk/damage to your Mac). I was pretty good at manually cleaning out the cache, etc. on my own, but it still found 2gigs of junk.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:19 PM   #1650
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

If you've updated to the latest version of OS X and iOS, you'll be able to see this new symbol. ��

Edit: Not sure about anyone else, but the forums changed it on me. On other sites it shows up as the Vulcan hand sign, but on here all I see if a question mark in a black diamond.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #1651
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

About 24hrs left till we learn about the next new Mac OS X. Most just going to be a bug fixer update Apple has said.

Seems weird to get a whole new OS though to fix and tidy up the old OS. Should just keep updating Yosemite and release the new OS at a later time when they can give us more new features and everything. This seems more like a bug fix update than a whole new OS.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #1652
Banned

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
About 24hrs left till we learn about the next new Mac OS X. Most just going to be a bug fixer update Apple has said.

Seems weird to get a whole new OS though to fix and tidy up the old OS. Should just keep updating Yosemite and release the new OS at a later time when they can give us more new features and everything. This seems more like a bug fix update than a whole new OS.
I am still using mavericks. I wait a bit to upgrade as you hear about problems soon after and I really don't have the time or patience for it. If it is just a bug update and it's finally pretty stable, I will upgrade.

Not really adding anything to your comment.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:54 PM   #1653
Power Member

Dec 2012
UK

Anyone use this keyboard?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K2SY90...=IPYKEZSIUBQ4G

Thought about picking it up to use with my macbook.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:32 PM   #1654
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenexus6 View Post
Anyone use this keyboard?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K2SY90...=IPYKEZSIUBQ4G

Thought about picking it up to use with my macbook.
I just use the one that came with my iMac which I love.

That keyboard looks really cool though. Seems worth it if you really want a track pad.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #1655

Oct 2008
Las Vegas

anyone running 16gb of ram in there mac mini. i have a 11' mini with 8 gb I've read of very few people running 16gb ram
Old 10-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #1656
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014

Anyone here have a mac with an android device? Yesterday I woke up and the two simply decided to stop talking to one another, when it worked fine just the day before. Nothing has changed on either device, no updates or whathaveyou. I've restarted both devices, reinstalled software, tried different software, tried different cables and I just cannot get them to talk. It's weird because the device seems to recognise it's been plugged in because it charges but the mac doesn't seem to recognise the device, it isn't even listed in my system information. But if nothing has changed, why would the mac just suddenly stop recognising it? Has anyone else had this problem?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat