Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
18 hrs ago
Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$22.99
12 hrs ago
The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak (Blu-ray)
$22.99
4 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$38.49

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$62.99
18 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Star Trek: Discovery - Season Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Giant Robo (Blu-ray)
$49.49
11 hrs ago
Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$62.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #1

Jul 2008
Send a message via AIM to zoso0928
Default Subwoofer on tile floor?

Anyone else have their sub on a tile floor? and if so do you recomend outting a piece of carpet under it? TIA
Old 02-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso0928 View Post
Anyone else have their sub on a tile floor? and if so do you recomend outting a piece of carpet under it? TIA
Absolutely. Carpet, rug, riser, something, but the acoustics of a tile floor are not good.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
Special Member

Jan 2010

Would this be relevant to downward firing subs only though.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #4

Jul 2008
Send a message via AIM to zoso0928
Default Re:

Yes mine is a down fire so ok good.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesu View Post
The acoustics of a tile floor are going to be bad regardless if the sub is downward firing or not. It would be best to put the sub on some kind of riser, but the rest of the room itself will also need treatments.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #6

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesu View Post
Steve is right with what he said . Bass is non directional , so it does not matter weather it is down firing or front firing . Putting something between the sub & tile floor is Best .
Old 02-27-2010, 01:10 AM   #7

Nov 2009
FLooRI.D.A

My sub (Klipsch Sub-12) is on a terrazzo floor, just wondering if I'd benefit from a riser which everyone seems to be using now.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:32 AM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjGuinness View Post
My sub (Klipsch Sub-12) is on a terrazzo floor, just wondering if I'd benefit from a riser which everyone seems to be using now.
I wasn't so sold on the benefits of one until I built one and tried it out. It's definitely worth it. My house doesn't shake any more. Now I just get nice, clean bass. Even if you don't want to go to the trouble of building your own, you should at least check into the GRAMMA or Subdude.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:43 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
I don't use one, and never felt the need. I have the same sub.

I use circular non-skid feet I picked up at Home Depot, they work just fine.

Try putting a small carpet under it to see if there's any difference in sound - there probably won't be. With the massive port on the SUB-12, most of your output is from the port, anyway.

I have mine positioned parallel to a wall, with nothing behind the port for about eight feet. Prodigious, clean bass, but I can't push it that hard - the cabinet isn't that solid, a big downside to the SUB-12. You can feel it pulse, and that's lost and wasted energy.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:07 AM   #10

Nov 2009
FLooRI.D.A

True, but the problem isn't with sliding, it's with room vibration, it's a smaller room two closets that seems to suck up all the bass. As loud as the Sub 12 is, stick your head in the closet and it's 5 times louder, and it rattles the s*** out of everything in the closets till everything is falling off the shelves.

A riser seems like a easy enough DYI project, and it couldn't hurt to try. If I like the change it makes I might pick up a GRAMMA or Subdude.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:10 AM   #11

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
True, but the problem isn't with sliding, it's with room vibration, it's a smaller room two closets that seems to suck up all the bass. As loud as the Sub 12 is, stick your head in the closet and it's 5 times louder, and it rattles the s*** out of everything in the closets till everything is falling off the shelves.

A riser seems like a easy enough DYI project, and it couldn't hurt to try. If I like the change it makes I might pick up a GRAMMA or Subdude.
You are on the right path ~ cheap to make & it will help . Isolating the sub from the floor is A good thing .
Old 02-27-2010, 03:11 AM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Quote:

You don't even have to make a DIY riser to try it out. Use a small end table or something, shove some pillows under it, and give it a shot. In fact, this is how some people even make their risers. You don't have to do anything elaborate to test out the response.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:16 AM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:

I was getting some wicked rattles from all over my living room and kitchen with my MFW-15. I built the riser (pics of it are in my HT gallery if you want to see them) mainly hoping to isolate the sub in order to eliminate the rattles and it did. I also got a 3dB gain in output (as measured by my SPL meter) by simply putting it on the riser in exactly the same place it was all along, and the bass seems a little tighter now too. I'm a believer now and I highly recommend it. Putting a rug or something under your sub is NOT the same as building a true riser. For further reading you should check out Big Daddy's sticky thread DIY Subwoofer Risers.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:18 AM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers13 View Post
You don't even have to make a DIY riser to try it out. Use a small end table or something, shove some pillows under it, and give it a shot. In fact, this is how some people even make their risers. You don't have to do anything elaborate to test out the response.
Excellent suggestion.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:26 AM   #15

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

& I will add to what Steve said . I have 3 subs in my HT room witch is my Living room , Dining room & Kitchen in my condo . All 3 subs are on Risers & nothing Rattles . They are all DIY Subs & they get pushed hard .
Old 02-27-2010, 03:56 AM   #16

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso0928 View Post
Check out my floor....it is ceramic tile, but I have built risers AND added carpet underneath as well.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Colorado

Quote:
...As loud as the Sub 12 is, stick your head in the closet and it's 5 times louder, and it rattles the s*** out of everything in the closets till everything is falling off the shelves....
Does anyone think he should possibly move the sub, on a riser to help with vibration, into the closet?

If it sounds louder in the closet, move the sub in there and listen outside the closet.

Maybe???
or maybe I'm high??
Old 03-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCo_1806 View Post
Does anyone think he should possibly move the sub, on a riser to help with vibration, into the closet?

If it sounds louder in the closet, move the sub in there and listen outside the closet.

Maybe???
or maybe I'm high??
This is not going to give you good results. While it may be louder in the closet, I'm willing to bet alot of definition and clarity would be lost if he moved his sub in there.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This is not going to give you good results. While it may be louder in the closet, I'm willing to bet alot of definition and clarity would be lost if he moved his sub in there.
Good point, told you I might be high.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:27 AM   #20

Oct 2018

A subwoofer placed in the corner of a room may increase the subwoofer's output – causing the sub to sound louder. Try placing your subwoofer in a corner and see how it sounds. but it depend on your floor space, a corner might not be a viable option for your subwoofer if it's too far from your listening
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers