Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$38.49

Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak (Blu-ray)
$22.99
17 hrs ago
Star Trek: Discovery - Season Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Semi-Tough (Blu-ray)
$19.89
7 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$179.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 12-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #461
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaclennan View Post
It's part of HDCP, High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection. It only allows you to send the protected data (video and audio) along a protected path. That is a HDCP compliant computer/video card, cable, and TV.

Also, it only allows that data to be sent to one source. As you will allways have the laptop screen as a source, you can't send the data to another source (your TV for example). Now I don't own a laptop with Blu-ray capability and HDMI, but this is my take on it.

Why have HDMI if you can't use it? There must be a way to disable the laptop screen to set the TV as your only monitor. Then you should be able to watch your movie on the TV, assuming it is HDCP compliant. Don't worry about the cable being compliant, it most certainly is.

What model is your laptop?

EDIT: Looks like you've figured it out.
It's a VGNNW265F/B.

What I finally had to do was make the laptop detect the external display and once it did that I could select the proper screen resolution, but it was still showing a 'boxed' image on the TV. When I set it so that the TV was the only display in use, the laptop display went blank and the TV display went to the correct size and I could play the movie. It appears, however, that I can't run it through my receiver, or at least I haven't figured out how to yet.

Anyway, once I got that figured out, both HDMI cables worked and so did both movies I tried.

UPDATE: I did get it going through my receiver also finally, but I can only get it to play a stripped down DTS sound track. It's much better than my TV speakers, but I don't know how it would sound if it was DTS-HDMA. It doesn't really matter, though. Like I said before, this is not intended to be a blu-ray player for primary use. I have a PS3 for that. This is just a handy extra for traveling, etc.

Last edited by Steve; 12-11-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #462
Expert Member

Apr 2007
NW FL

have been using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium for about a week now and just wanted to add my praises...WOW having leaped from XP to 7 (never got Vista) I am just amazed!!!

I installed some more RAM this AM (now have 4 Gig with plan to upgrade to 8) and noticed that Windows 7 has a program called Windows Experience Index that rates your processor, Graphics (for AERO), Gaming Graphics, and Primary Hard Disk (disk data transfer rate); each component is rated on a scale of 1.0 to 7.9

overall I think my ratings are ok if I understood what I read which seems to say that any base score 4.0 or > should be sufficent to use most features of windows 7:

RAM=4.8; Graphics (AERO)=7.2; Gaming Graphics=7.2; Primary Hard DISK=5.5 (I am using an older HD and expected a lower score) and finally Processor=4.3 giving me a base score of 4.3 as it chooses your lowest score as your rank;

Should I be concerned at all about the processor getting the lowest score? (using a AMD ATHLON LE-1620 Processor (2.40 Ghz) on an ASUS M3A78-EM MOBO...

Everything seems to be working great and I hope I am worrying for no reason. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.....
Old 12-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #463
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
Home of N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys

Don't see many differences between Vista and W7 so far (except the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, and the "Libraries" which sort of seems silly). I'm sure as I get into it, I'll fine more.

Anyone use IE 8.0 64-bit? WTH is the difference?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #464
Special Member

Jan 2009
High Point, North Carolina

just installed this morning lovin it so far!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:55 PM   #465
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Mobile, AL

I just noticed a new feature that is really tiny but I like it. When you have a download going.... the explorer icon that is pinned to your taskbar will show the progress. That is so convenient!
Old 12-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #466
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2006
Let Me In!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinandtami View Post
I just noticed a new feature that is really tiny but I like it. When you have a download going.... the explorer icon that is pinned to your taskbar will show the progress. That is so convenient!
that was in the beta as well.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat