Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
2 hrs ago
Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$40.00
22 hrs ago
Rambo: Last Blood (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 02-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #41
Power Member

Dec 2007

Oh great. It's just pdfs, pics and videos and music. General files. I figured it would be easy. I have an 8gb thumbdrive so this should be very easy then.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #42
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwikSand View Post
Oh great. It's just pdfs, pics and videos and music. General files. I figured it would be easy. I have an 8gb thumbdrive so this should be very easy then.
yup it'll work just fine
Old 02-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop View Post
yup it'll work just fine
+1

You may, however, experience that silly little thing that Macs do where it adds the "._" to the beginning of the files. I friggin' HATE that! Just watch out for that...although I suppose they won't show up on the Mac when you plug the flash drive into it, so never mind. Still a possible annoyance/source of confusion so I thought I'd point it out.

Last edited by brettallica; 02-25-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #44
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettallica View Post
+1

You may, however, experience that silly little thing that Macs to where it adds the "._" to the beginning of the files. I friggin' HATE that! Just watch out for that...although I suppose they won't show up on the Mac when you plug the flash drive into it, so never mind. Still a possible annoyance/source of confusion so I thought I'd point it out.
yeah that is pretty annoying, it only happens here and there thankfully tho.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 PM   #45
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Isla Nublar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettallica View Post
I've had some good success with Azureus, so I was a bit hasty in my rating of the Mac's abilities in that area. I will say that my PCs do a better job with torrents overall, though.
Azureus is now Vuze, right?, in which you can search for torrents within the actual program? I tried it once, but didn't like it.

I agree that there are far less Mac torrents out there, but that's to be expected, since there are fewer Mac things to make torrents of, but I've never come across a program that isn't torrented (not that I'm trying to download them... I'm just doing research )

I imagine the most torrented types of files are music and movies, and those obviously would work either way, since Macs have no problem with wmv or wma, or anything else.

There's a well known private site that has an insane amount of Mac-only stuff, and that stuff gets filtered into a public Mac-only site.

I'm not supporting downloading torrents at all. It's just an observation, because I thought maybe since Macs were less popular, and seemed more for artsy/creative people who are directly hurt by torrenting, that there'd be less of a torrent culture for it, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:31 AM   #46

Jan 2009

I use my desktop PC strictly for torrents. I use uTorrent on it, download 'backup files' that I need for my Mac, once they are downloaded, I put them onto my portable USB Flash Drive (8 GB), and put them onto my Mac. I do it that way cause I can have seeding on 24/7 on my desktop (PC - which I never use besides for torrents) after I get the files from private torrent site I'm on, which you need t keep a good ratio. That way I won't need to have my laptop running 24/7 causing it to overheat in order for it to seed. Although I still have Transmission installed on my Mac.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #47
Power Member

Dec 2007

Anybody using one of the keyboard skins? I wanna get one of those to keep this as clean and new for as long as possible and they look pretty sweet.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #48

Jan 2009

Quote:
Anybody using one of the keyboard skins? I wanna get one of those to keep this as clean and new for as long as possible and they look pretty sweet.
http://www.iskin.com/products_mac.tp...35608897252631
Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #49
Tattoo King

Apr 2008
Irvine, CA PSN ID WinterShrinkage

Quote:
I dont but my keyboard is way past saving...
Old 02-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #50
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Isla Nublar

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarejay View Post
I do it that way cause I can have seeding on 24/7 on my desktop (PC - which I never use besides for torrents) after I get the files from private torrent site I'm on, which you need t keep a good ratio. That way I won't need to have my laptop running 24/7 causing it to overheat in order for it to seed. Although I still have Transmission installed on my Mac.

Is it that famous site that starts with a D? Because they no longer ban people for low ratios.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #51

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by toefer View Post
Is it that famous site that starts with a D? Because they no longer ban people for low ratios.
I don't think I can say on here, I'll PM you.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:56 AM   #52
Power Member

Dec 2007

iskin is what I was looking at. I think I will go with one of those.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:30 AM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

Quote:
Azureus is now Vuze, right?, in which you can search for torrents within the actual program? I tried it once, but didn't like it.

I'm not supporting downloading torrents at all. It's just an observation, because I thought maybe since Macs were less popular, and seemed more for artsy/creative people who are directly hurt by torrenting, that there'd be less of a torrent culture for it, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.
Yes, it is now called Vuze. Force of habit for me to call it Azureus. The funny thing is the default download folder that Vuze creates after you install is still called "Azureus Downloads." I use it for my G4 iBook running OS X 10.5, and it works well for me. I never use the feature that allows you to search for torrents right in the GUI. Google (or that certain website that hosts torrents that starts with a D) is better for that.

I do not use Vuze very often in general, though, as my PC torrent software just seems to work better. Plus now with all the cracking down, you need to stay ahead of the game with IP-blocking software so the bad guys don't get you; they're merciless these days!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:48 AM   #54
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

For all you torrent people . . . not sure if you know, but they released uTorrent for Mac a few months ago. I tried Transmission and Azureus, but I still prefer uTorrent. Azureus has a lot of crap I never used that made it bog down, and Transmission gave me problems from time to time where it just wouldn't do anything. Now I just need Chrome and I can put my PC away forever! Although, the Mac software for my scanner/printer is garbage compared to the Windows version. Not really sure why they made it so different.

Edit: Looks like I skipped a page and missed the post about uTorrent. But still, I definitely recommend it.

Last edited by BStecke; 02-26-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:14 AM   #55
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Isla Nublar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStecke View Post
Edit: Looks like I skipped a page and missed the post about uTorrent. But still, I definitely recommend it.
Does uTorrent allow you to pick and choose out of a torrent file though? I vaguely remember that being my biggest problem with it. If there is a bunch of stuff crammed together in a torrent, and I only needed/wanted a single part of it, I remember not being able to de-select the other parts in uTorrent, and instead had to just download the entire thing.

Is that the case, or no?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:17 AM   #56
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
Does uTorrent allow you to pick and choose out of a torrent file though? I vaguely remember that being my biggest problem with it. If there is a bunch of stuff crammed together in a torrent, and I only needed/wanted a single part of it, I remember not being able to de-select the other parts in uTorrent, and instead had to just download the entire thing.

Is that the case, or no?
you can do that on almost any client. it just doesn't pop up before you start the download like utorrent

after you open the torrent..open it up..tell it not to download whatever you dont want lol
Old 02-26-2009, 03:18 AM   #57
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Isla Nublar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop View Post
you can do that on almost any client. it just doesn't pop up before you start the download like utorrent

after you open the torrent..open it up..tell it not to download whatever you dont want lol
Haha. I've been too spoiled by Transmission, which always asks first.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 AM   #58
Power Member

Dec 2007

Utorrent is awesome. Click on the file, in options choose show detailed info and then files. Pick what you want in there.

So I copied some songs to the mac with the usb drive and then back to copy a second batch of songs into the itunes folder and it's giving me errors saying I don't have permission and now the copy window has been stuck determining time for the last hour and I can't close it. Any ideas? I can't reboot the machine because it sas it's doing something, which is the copying but it's not copying anything.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:23 AM   #59
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
Utorrent is awesome. Click on the file, in options choose show detailed info and then files. Pick what you want in there.

So I copied some songs to the mac with the usb drive and then back to copy a second batch of songs into the itunes folder and it's giving me errors saying I don't have permission and now the copy window has been stuck determining time for the last hour and I can't close it. Any ideas? I can't reboot the machine because it sas it's doing something, which is the copying but it's not copying anything.
is there anything important on it? i'd just pull it out and put it back in
Old 02-26-2009, 03:26 AM   #60
Power Member

Dec 2007

I tried that. It was just songs. It mounts it fine yet those copying windows never go away whether it's in or out. And I can't force quit them either. I will have to just leave them minimized for now and eventually somehow shut the computer down.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat