Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Halloween 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$104.99

The Lost Boys 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
12 hrs ago
The Return of the Living Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Starship Troopers 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.55

Giant 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
15 hrs ago
Lost Highway 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Spider-Man: No Way Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Bullet Train 4K Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Heat 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

In Bruges 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Bullet Train 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Ultra HD Players, Hardware and News

Old 08-10-2022, 10:46 PM   #10741

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelkhan999 View Post
Is there a UB820 version in Japan with MGVC?
The UB820 was not released in Japan. The UB32 would be the closest, but without the HDR optimizer etc.
Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM   #10742
Special Member

Jan 2020

So, about the HDR optimizer. How should I go about setting it? I've had the set for a minute (2019 Samsung with local dimming). Should I set it to LED? I've had it set to middle/high luminance LCD since I got it. Looking at the specs for my set at https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q70-q70r-qled, it lists HDR brightness as:

HDR Real Scene Peak Brightness
747 cd/m
HDR Peak 2% Window
621 cd/m
HDR Peak 10% Window
775 cd/m
HDR Peak 25% Window
646 cd/m
HDR Peak 50% Window
471 cd/m
HDR Peak 100% Window
436 cd/m
HDR Sustained 2% Window
613 cd/m
HDR Sustained 10% Window
756 cd/m
HDR Sustained 25% Window
641 cd/m
HDR Sustained 50% Window
470 cd/m
HDR Sustained 100% Window
434 cd/m
HDR ABL

Should I move the setting to LED, leave it, or downgrade it to basic luminance so that the brightness of the disc (1000 nits?) isn't above the upper range of my set?
Old Yesterday, 05:12 AM   #10743
Expert Member

Jun 2016

Using HDR optimizer greatly improves the Samsung S95B QD-OLED with 4000 nit MaxMDL discs. The tone mapping with those discs is too dark compared to OLED tvs. No issue with 1000 nit MaxMDL discs. Others have noticed the same thing and it appears it does not track EOTF correctly with those discs, rolling off much faster than the 1000 nits discs. Turn HDR optimizer on, and set to OLED (1000) nits, and the image is much better.
Thanks given by:
biggquis (Yesterday), Geoff D (Yesterday), samuelkhan999 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #10744
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2014
Stockholm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Using HDR optimizer greatly improves the Samsung S95B QD-OLED with 4000 nit MaxMDL discs. The tone mapping with those discs is too dark compared to OLED tvs. No issue with 1000 nit MaxMDL discs. Others have noticed the same thing and it appears it does not track EOTF correctly with those discs, rolling off much faster than the 1000 nits discs. Turn HDR optimizer on, and set to OLED (1000) nits, and the image is much better.
It's just much brighter and if brightness is all you would care about then fine. But, it's very inaccurate. Just look at the menu bar itself; turn the optimizer ON and the menu bar goes hella bright with content mastered on 4000 nits. You don't get any of that on content mastered at 1000 nits. Shouldn't that be brighter as well? It's not even a minor change, it's massive. Only demonstrates what a cluster**** the HDR can be.
And what is this obession with turning everything super bright.. You'd think most people lived in the middle of the desert with skylight above their home theater rooms.
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #10745
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekky76 View Post
It's just much brighter and if brightness is all you would care about then fine. But, it's very inaccurate. Just look at the menu bar itself; turn the optimizer ON and the menu bar goes hella bright with content mastered on 4000 nits. You don't get any of that on content mastered at 1000 nits. Shouldn't that be brighter as well? It's not even a minor change, it's massive. Only demonstrates what a cluster**** the HDR can be.
And what is this obession with turning everything super bright.. You'd think most people lived in the middle of the desert with skylight above their home theater rooms.
HDR Optimizer doesn't brighten anything. It tonemaps DOWN to your TV capabilities, and it maintains the proper EOTF as much as possible.
Thanks given by:
rroeder (Yesterday), wxman2003 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #10746
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
In a van down by the river

All this talk about the Optimizer got me thinking. The majority of my discs are DV. Doesn’t even use the optimizer. I have been thinking of switching the setting from oled to mid/high lcd on the Panny. See if it does anything.

Last edited by Waboman; Yesterday at 11:12 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #10747
Expert Member

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekky76 View Post
With those 4000 MaxMDL discs, the S95B EOTF curve is wrong. It's starts rolling off around 250 nits, whereas with the 1000 MaxMDL discs, it follows the EOTF curve correctly all the way to 1000 nits before rolling off. The tv is not correctly tone mapping those 4000 nit MaxMDL discs.

As far as the toggle, when you turn HDR optimizer on with those discs, yes, it gets super bright for a few seconds, but then the tv correctly tone maps it as if it were a 1000 nit disc and looks fine. I thought the same thing you did until someone pointed it out. I paused a movie, turned HDR optimizer on, and it got super bright on the S95B for a a few seconds, and then you could gradually watch it correct itself as it tone mapped it to 1000 nits. Thus the best choice is to leave HDR optimizer always on with the S95B.

On my Sony A90J, I do not need to do that, because the A90J has a gradation preferred setting, and it reads those discs correctly and tone maps accordingly. That's what the S95B needs, but does not have.

And you can see on this RTINGS link below how poor the 4000 nit tone mapping is. Look how quickly it rolls off thus creating an image that is too dark. That's why HDR Optimizer needs to be on.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/1-8/graph#32382/13907

Last edited by wxman2003; Yesterday at 08:10 PM.
Old Today, 02:15 AM   #10748
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
All this talk about the Optimizer got me thinking. The majority of my discs are DV. Doesnt even use the optimizer. I have been thinking of switching the setting from oled to mid/high lcd on the Panny. See if it does anything.
It literally won't change a thing. OLED and mid/high LCD modes are both set to map >1000 nit content. Super High LCD is 1500 nits.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Ultra HD Players, Hardware and News

Tags
panasonic, ub820, ub9000, value electronics