Best TV Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 11 is Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Arrow: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Flash: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Original Christmas Specials Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Supergirl: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.05

Anne of Green Gables (Blu-ray)
$29.08
17 hrs ago
Planet Earth II (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$24.93

Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

View Poll Results: Which HBO series would you like to see on Blu next?
Boardwalk Empire: Season 1 19 19.39%
The Wire: The Complete Series 39 39.80%
Carnivale: The Complete Series 19 19.39%
Sopranos: The Complete Series 24 24.49%
Sopranos: Season 2 7 7.14%
Entourage: Season 1 12 12.24%
Six Feet Under: The Complete Series 22 22.45%
Flight of the Conchords 7 7.14%
Oz: The Complete Series 17 17.35%
Sex and the City: The Complete Series 6 6.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #21
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

I hope they will release 'From The Earth To The Moon' in 2011 to mark the 50th anniversary of the first American (Alan Shepard) in space.

I'd also love to have a complete Blu-ray set of 'The Wire' (especially as they needlessly compromised the DVD quality of Season 4 by cramming four episodes per disc), but I'm wondering how likely it is to be released in 2011 - any views?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #22
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2007
Iowa

David Simon, creator of The Wire, shot the show in 4:3 because he wanted a gritty look for the show, so it wouldn't be much of an improvement on Blu-ray. I don't see The Wire coming to Blu-ray anytime soon (if ever).

I'd love to get the rest of The Sopranos on Blu-ray. It's a great show and I hate having seasons 1 and 6 on Blu-ray but having to keep the DVDs for the other seasons. The fact that it's been over a year since the first season was released and there's still no news on future seasons makes me think sales were poor and they might not release anymore seasons.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #23

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatediesel View Post
I'd love to get the rest of The Sopranos on Blu-ray. It's a great show and I hate having seasons 1 and 6 on Blu-ray but having to keep the DVDs for the other seasons. The fact that it's been over a year since the first season was released and there's still no news on future seasons makes me think sales were poor and they might not release anymore seasons.
Of course sales were poor, the pricing is ridiculous. Having said that, I still bought it, though.

Regardless, I can't imagine HBO not releasing seasons 2 - 5 eventually.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #24
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1965 View Post
I have CDO. It's like OCD except all of the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be..
Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2008

Carnivale!

And put a bunch of featurettes on there from the creators on the show. The writing, casting, direction, etc. Plus ones on the set design, because that thing was beautiful.

Also that 2 million dollar opening to the show which was a thing of beauty all on it's own.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

I would like the rest of the Sopranos individually as I have the second half of season 6.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #27
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesonfire View Post
Of course sales were poor, the pricing is ridiculous. Having said that, I still bought it, though.

Regardless, I can't imagine HBO not releasing seasons 2 - 5 eventually.
Prices were quite good considering the show got down to like 26 bucks for season 1(I paid 36 the day it came out)... Granted when six came out it was like 89-119 bucks (but that was around launch time).
Old 12-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Fort Worth, TX

I was just thinking about how the sales figures for Sopranos has to be pretty poor considering several factors:

1. The price is ludicrous. $59.99 for one season of 12 episodes is inexcusable, period.
2. Most fans of the show plunged for the DVDs and "The Complete Series" anyway. The blu probably appeals more to later adopters, plus add factor #1 into the mix and you have people being scared to make the purchase for the blu.
3. Add to both of those factors listed above that it's been a year since the first season was released on blu, and no announcements have been made to release the following seasons. Another contributing factor to poor sales. Without subsequent seasons to fill in the void people don't want to buy.

I think they should've gone the same route Universal did with BSG and release the complete series for people wanting to go ahead and take the plunge, and then rerelease each subsequent season at a set interval of 4 months.

The HBO Home Video rep who decided to release the series the way they have so far should be demoted/fired. Really poor method of attempting to boost sales if you ask me.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Plateau of Leng

Voted for Sopranos complete series, Oz, The Wire, and Carnivale. I would buy any of those complete series' on day 1 if HBO would just release them. I won't buy any Sopranos until the complete series is available. It's been over a year now since season1 released.

Imgae is really taking HBO to town on release. Every 3-4 months we get a new Twilight Zone season. Where's the love HBO?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #30
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

It's interesting that 'Sex And The City' has not attracted many votes so far. I never really understood why it got so much praise when it was being shown, and maybe the low vote shows that it hasn't really stood the test of time compared with several other HBO shows. Anyone agree?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #31

Mar 2009

I voted for everything except Sopranos: Season 2 (want the complete series), Entourage: Season 1 and Sex and the City: The Complete Series (not a fan of either show).

I love HBO, and I hope we hear about more 2011 Blu-Ray releases soon. I don't really care about what they put out next, just as long as everything I voted for eventually arrives.

My favorite HBO series (in order):
1. The Wire
2. Curb Your Enthusiasm
3. Deadwood
4. Sopranos & Six Feet Under
6. Flight of the Conchords
7. Carnivale
8. Boardwalk Empire & Rome
10. Treme
11. Oz
Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010
Austin

Boardwalk Empire is inevitable.

I want the complete series of Six Feet Under on blu.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #33

Jul 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison View Post
It's interesting that 'Sex And The City' has not attracted many votes so far. I never really understood why it got so much praise when it was being shown, and maybe the low vote shows that it hasn't really stood the test of time compared with several other HBO shows. Anyone agree?
Most likely because this forum (and the format) is skewed very heavily towards males. SATC is immensely popular.

I'm dying for HBO to release Sex and The City: Complete Collection on BD!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:29 AM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

This is tough because I love most of these shows but I voted for The Wire.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:52 AM   #35
Power Member

Feb 2008
socal

Sopranos needs a full release more than any other series. Nothing is even close to as epic besides band of brothers which we already have.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #36

Jan 2010

Not only was Carnivale an amazing show, but it was beautiful as well. I would LOVE a Blu-Ray set, and its only two seasons, so its not as big a task as trying to create a gigantic set like the Sopranos.

However, I don't see it happening anytime soon
Old 12-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Plateau of Leng

Quote:
Originally Posted by X12Celtics3 View Post
Not only was Carnivale an amazing show, but it was beautiful as well. I would LOVE a Blu-Ray set, and its only two seasons, so its not as big a task as trying to create a gigantic set like the Sopranos.

However, I don't see it happening anytime soon
I actually see that happening before the Sopranos complete series. Band of Brothers, Rome, The Pacific, Deadwood all came out before Sopranos (which surprised me) because they were smaller. It's easier for HBO to continue "market testing" with their smaller sets. So I hope we get news of it in 2011.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:33 PM   #38

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperAgent View Post
I actually see that happening before the Sopranos complete series. Band of Brothers, Rome, The Pacific, Deadwood all came out before Sopranos (which surprised me) because they were smaller. It's easier for HBO to continue "market testing" with their smaller sets. So I hope we get news of it in 2011.
I agree. I actually expect Carnivale to be the next major Blu-Ray announcement from HBO, outside of shows that are currently on the air.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 AM   #39
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperAgent View Post
I hope they continue. Deadwood has to have decent sales figures, at least in its first couple of months on the format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndam View Post
I agree. I actually expect Carnivale to be the next major Blu-Ray announcement from HBO, outside of shows that are currently on the air.
Not too sure about this. I don't expect Carnivale to be announced/released for quite sometime. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #40
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Any rumors yet for a date on Boardwalk Empire?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Tags
boardwalk empire, deadwood, hbo, sopranos, the wire