Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$51.29
11 hrs ago
Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$42.74
8 hrs ago
Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.99
22 hrs ago
The Bourne Classified Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Charley Varrick (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 06-01-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Canada
Default Active Studio Speakers For HT

I'm thinking of changing out my front speakers for some Mackie HR-824 active studio speakers. I have used them for recording and are extremely flat sounding with a huge sweet spot, + the built in amp will save me money of getting a separate amp. I have a pair of Behringer 2031A and have used them as fronts and they sounded great almost better than the Paradigms I'm using now and with my HT room almost finished i'm looking to change things up a bit.

Just want some opinions if anyone uses them for HT or has in the past.

Pros and cons with active speakers

Thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch9 View Post
I'm thinking of changing out my front speakers for some Mackie HR-824 active studio speakers. I have used them for recording and are extremely flat sounding with a huge sweet spot, + the built in amp will save me money of getting a separate amp. I have a pair of Behringer 2031A and have used them as fronts and they sounded great almost better than the Paradigms I'm using now and with my HT room almost finished i'm looking to change things up a bit.

Just want some opinions if anyone uses them for HT or has in the past.

Pros and cons with active speakers

Thanks
The only Pro gear I ever used in my home theater is an external crossover network. As a general rule Pro gear are noisy and have poor distortion levels compared to home audio. Some of their amps have very noisy fans. Their subs are large and loud, but don't have the low frequency extension.

Powered speakers are like powered subwoofers. They need to be plugged into the wall and you are pretty much at the mercy of the built-in amp inside the speaker. Those amps are not as refined as home audio amps.

You can also try active speakers from Audio Engine.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:18 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")™

Twitch9,

I'm surprised that you would give up those gorgeous Paradigms for something else, but I also do understand where you are coming from.

Right along Big Daddy's post above, I would have to agree. Now, you mention they are STUDIO monitors, so I would imagine that their S/N ratio is higher, but overall, pro amplifiers and speakers do tend to give up a bit of refinement in trade for maximum SPL efficiency and durability.

I used to always run "separates" back when I was young and just on my own (my professional DJ gear was also my "home stereo"). I made a lot of apartment neighbors weary in those days.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Canada

Thanks for the imput, now i've listened to Mackie Hr-824 in a studio and HT environment and i can tell you that the amps are nothing but spectacular on those speakers and like i said they are extremely flat response. I have also read that many mixing studios that produce the audio for movies use them as a reference speaker along with the M&K speakers. I guess the only way to decide is rent a pair from my local music store and test them out, i was playing around with my Behringer active speakers last night and really liked the way they sounded so i'm really on the fence with this one.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch9 View Post
Thanks for the imput, now i've listened to Mackie Hr-824 in a studio and HT environment and i can tell you that the amps are nothing but spectacular on those speakers and like i said they are extremely flat response. I have also read that many mixing studios that produce the audio for movies use them as a reference speaker along with the M&K speakers. I guess the only way to decide is rent a pair from my local music store and test them out, i was playing around with my Behringer active speakers last night and really liked the way they sounded so i'm really on the fence with this one.
I've used the M&K S-150P's in a 5.1 set up back in the day. They were fantastic speakers, and it was nice having the amp built in. The downside, each speaker has to be plugged in. Luckily, at the time, I had outlets close to where the speakers needed to be.

IMO, you have an outstanding setup as is.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
Special Member

May 2009
Charlotte, NC

Hmm i personally don't think that would be the route to take. If you are wanting to upgrade you should perhaps look into the Paradigm studio reference line. IMO the pro speakers wont give you the dynamic abilities that your paradigms have.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #7

Nov 2008
Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
The only Pro gear I ever used in my home theater is an external crossover network. As a general rule Pro gear are noisy and have poor distortion levels compared to home audio. Some of their amps have very noisy fans. Their subs are large and loud, but don't have the low frequency extension.

Powered speakers are like powered subwoofers. They need to be plugged into the wall and you are pretty much at the mercy of the built-in amp inside the speaker. Those amps are not as refined as home audio amps.

You can also try active speakers from Audio Engine.
Genelec speakers are very good

http://www.genelec.com/ Rember Meridian digital speakers not bookshelf but some of the best speakers in the world
Old 06-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Special Member

May 2009
Charlotte, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcro 1 View Post
Genelec speakers are very good

http://www.genelec.com/ Rember Meridian digital speakers not bookshelf but some of the best speakers in the world
This is also very true, good point Halcro
Old 06-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #9

Nov 2007

mackies are great options tho, just remember that they do have a great reputation as monitors (ive always seen a distinction between them and bookshelves based on what they'll be functioning as)...

look more into it, im sure its an interesting read at any point.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Power Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Thought I would resurrect this thread from the dead as I just purchased two demo unit HR624 MK2 demos for 65% off of retail. I'm listening to them right now while watching BBC Life with David Attenborough. My overall impressions that are despite being flat they are very smooth and articulate compared to my Pioneers that I had previously. Some people have wrote elsewhere online about the boominess they encounter running them full range but I have not heard this as my receiver does the crossover work limiting their output to above 80hz. I have not played with the acoustic space settings yet, or the high frequency boost as they sounded nice at the factory defaults. My logic was that the two Mackies running front left and right would reduce some of the work load on my receiver allowing the other channels to be driven with more headroom for the time being. Eventually I want to be moving to an all separates setup or more active Mackies as they would be timbre matched and sound great to me for the money. If anyone has any questions on them I would be happy to try to answer.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
Power Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Well not sure if anyone cares.

... but anyway.. I found two clearence model Mackie 824 MK2's and I moved one of my Mackie 624's to the center as a replacemnt for my old Bose VCS-10 center channel speaker (yeah Bose.. laugh it up). Wow, what a difference! I never thought that the Bose was that bad. It had a descent mid high presence that at least always seemed good for vocal replication in soundtracks, but the Mackie blows it out of the water. The smoothness and articulation between the three up front now is night and day. Just had to share that.

Overall, I still think an active studio monitor can be a great value if you can get them AC power and a line level signal.

I'm debating if I should start a new thread on discussing various active speakers including Genelac, Dynaudio, Tannoy, Mackie etc?? Or should I just keep it all here? Any thoughts or am I totally alone on this one?
Old 08-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #12

Aug 2019

I'm trying to find information everywhere to no avail. But I'm probably not the only one to try this...

I plan to connect my BD (Sony S-1700) player to active speakers (not yet bought).
I'd be using a coax SPDIF connection.
I understand this cannot possibly pass TrueHD or DTS surround signals, nor process any kind of surround signal anyway. But...

1) What happens? Can the speakers' DAC handle (i.e. downmix) a multichannel signal from the BD's optical out? Or does the BD magically detect and send a stereo PCM downmix from the start?

2) What with sampling rates? Some speakers' DAC are rated at 192kHz (e.g. Behringer MS20), others 48kHz (Edifier 1280). What if the latter is fed a 96/192 signal? Couldn't find a clear answer anywhere!

Thanks!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers