Best Xbox 360 Game Deals

Best Xbox 360 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Payday 2 (Xbox 360)
$14.09

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (Xbox 360)
$38.10

Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection (Xbox 360)
$25.95

L.A. Noire (Xbox 360)
$19.93

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Bonus Edition (Xbox 360)
$13.95

Sonic Unleashed (Xbox 360)
$12.20

MotionSports: Play For Real (Xbox 360)
$19.76

Bakugan Battle Brawlers (Xbox 360)
$39.20
5 hrs ago
Fable: The Journey (Xbox 360)
$13.04

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Xbox 360)
$13.21

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (Xbox 360)
$61.50
8 hrs ago
NBA 2K9 (Xbox 360)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox 360

Old 10-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey
Angry Console Ads / Sales People. Love them, hate them or indifferent?

Personally, I am of the pursuation that they are sometimes good things. But I do not like the fact how all my prefrences are being used as marketing missiles.

I thought about downloading apps like Crackle and Popcorn Flix because they offer free movies and unusual content. Then I realized big brother would always be watching with me over my shoulder.

As a person who has refused cable services, I enjoy not having my phone ring with affiliate offers and not having to wade through tons of junk mail every day. My days are filled with enough nonsense and I simply do not want to be disturbed with ANY stupidity. If I want something, I will look for it. Period.

The powers that be may not like my anti-consumer sentiment, but at the end of the day I am still a private citizen and corporations do not dictate to me. Being in the market for a new car I have recently visited a number of dealers. All of them wanted my contact info. All they got was my first name. I was polite, but insistent. In the end, I walked out of every single one of them and NOT A SINGLE PHONE CALL has been able to disrupt my otherwise quiet evenings. Once I walk out, I am done with you. Calling me is only going to aggitate me.

I was going to do a poll, but not this time. I want to hear your vents. How you deal with advertisments and pushy sales people.

Final thought before you respond. I was a sales person for 1.5 years. Do not think I am looking down my nose at them. I simply know the dance and choose to sit it out.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007

I ignore them for the most part. I don't mind giving out certain info to the car dealers, they have a right to know I'm serious in my quest to buy a car/camper instead of kicking tires and I'm not interested in wasting time.

Mailings I don't want go into a paper grocery bag and ultimately wind up in the burn barrel and the ashes in the compost bin.

I screen every call, and anything that shows up on the caller ID I don't recognize goes to the machine and I call them back only if I care. If they do get me, I tell them "no thanks, please don't call back" and that generally works.

Ads on the 360 screen don't bother me, I glance at them quickly to see if there is anything I'm interested in, and if so I check it out--otherwise ignore.

In game ads are entirely different. In the case of the Obama ad in Burnout Paradise, it infuriated me. I play games to escape from the lunacy of the real world, not have them advertised to me while I'm trying to enjoy myself. I haven't played Burnout Paradise in a good long while, primarily because of that. I hate seeing real ads in games, and since I don't play any of the sports games I don't really have the opportunity to see them anywhere else.

To me, ads in games are like having commercials in the middle of watching a movie.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Limbo (Bakersfield, Ca.)
Thumbs up

I try to be polite to pushy sales people and decline what theyre pushing. I know a lot of the times they work on commission. But if they don't take the hint then I start pushing back. I rarely need to though.

I don't answer my phone unless I know who it is. My only phone is my cell phone and it really pissed me off when I started getting unsolicited calls.

I hardly get spam. Most spam I get is sent from Google that I labeled as spam which I probably can stop with some setting I'm too lazy to find or care.

I used to hate Xbox ads. A lot. I just got used to them. I don't mind the ones that remind me of LIVE sales .
Old 10-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
NYC

I find the quickest way out of any product pushing is to say you already have it.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
USA

At retail stores, sometimes I get attacked by one employee after another asking if I need help (I'm thinking it's a shoplifting-prevention thing) while other times they leave me alone.

At home, caller ID and a phone that has call block has been great. I don't recognize the number, I look them up online and almost all of the time there are tons of people complaining about these solicitors and scammers and alleged charities that keep 95% of the profits, so they get blocked. Unfortunately, my limit for blocked numbers has run out and I have to cycle through the old ones so I can block new numbers.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
At home, caller ID and a phone that has call block has been great. I don't recognize the number, I look them up online and almost all of the time there are tons of people complaining about these solicitors and scammers and alleged charities that keep 95% of the profits, so they get blocked. Unfortunately, my limit for blocked numbers has run out and I have to cycle through the old ones so I can block new numbers.
I have registered, and this DOES work when it finally goes into effect.
https://www.donotcall.gov/
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox 360