Best Xbox 360 Game Deals

Best Xbox 360 Game Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360)
$20.00

L.A. Noire (Xbox 360)
$19.93

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Bonus Edition (Xbox 360)
$13.95

Sonic Unleashed (Xbox 360)
$12.20

Payday 2 (Xbox 360)
$15.69

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (Xbox 360)
$16.98

Brutal Legend (Xbox 360)
$19.99

MotionSports: Play For Real (Xbox 360)
$13.97
1 hr ago
Bakugan Battle Brawlers (Xbox 360)
$20.01

Fable: The Journey (Xbox 360)
$8.48

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Xbox 360)
$13.20

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (Xbox 360)
$59.93

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox 360

Old 04-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Australia
Default XBox 360 Slim making a loud buzzing sound

Guys I bought a pre-owned slim XBox 360 today and whenever I play a certain game (Top Spin 4), the console makes a really loud, really annoying buzzing noise. The vent on the top is also extremely hot all the time and I tried putting the orignal Halo which is a original XBox game disc in it and the game froze. Other games seem to run ok, and even Top Spin 4 runs ok despite the loud buzzing sound. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with it? I do have a warranty but I'd just thought I'd ask here first to get some advice.

The Top Spin 4 game disc is in brand new perfect condition too..

Whenever I tap the top of the console regardless of when the 360 is turned on or turned off, it makes the same sort of buzzing noise that I'm hearing when its playing Top Spin 4.

Last edited by Blu-21; 04-04-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #2

Dec 2009

Your lazer is probably dirty or the tray rail needs to be cleaned. My fat xbox was like that and after I cleaned it and regreased the rail it was fine.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:36 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Australia

Looking inside the vent, yeah the fan and probably the whole interior of the machine looks dusty/dirty as hell, HOWEVER it seems that if I install the games onto my harddrive before actually playing them, the loud buzzing noise stops.

I'm not sure why it stops after the game has actually been installed, but it does... so far anyway.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #4

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
Looking inside the vent, yeah the fan and probably the whole interior of the machine looks dusty/dirty as hell, HOWEVER it seems that if I install the games onto my harddrive before actually playing them, the loud buzzing noise stops.

I'm not sure why it stops after the game has actually been installed, but it does... so far anyway.
It stops because it isn't reading the disc that much. It reads the disc upon start up of the game. Once it reads it once, it then reads it from the HDD.
I would at least blow it out if you can. That should help a little. I'm sure it needs to be cleaned though. Slim are pretty notorious for stopping. My Halo Reach one did and I took it apart cleaned it and still not working. If you have the know how they aren't to hard to take apart. The fat ones are easier though then the slims.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #5

Mar 2013
Australia

What your describing sounds normal. Most discs are quiet for the most part when playing them but you get the occasional disc that just spins loud for whatever reason. It being a new disc isnt uncommon. Just install it to the hardrive which is what you should do anyway. Less wear on your console, less heat generated, slightly better loading aswell.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeEntertainment View Post
What your describing sounds normal. Most discs are quiet for the most part when playing them but you get the occasional disc that just spins loud for whatever reason. It being a new disc isnt uncommon. Just install it to the hardrive which is what you should do anyway. Less wear on your console, less heat generated, slightly better loading aswell.
This is what happened with my earlier 360's and the advice a friend gave me. I'd definitely recommend downloading the game. Then once you are done you delete the game from your hard drive.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #7

Dec 2009

The problem they may encounter is that the laser will eventually die and then they won't be able to read the disc at all. I was lucky and all my console needed was a good breakdown and clean up. After that it is running great again.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:10 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
The problem they may encounter is that the laser will eventually die and then they won't be able to read the disc at all. I was lucky and all my console needed was a good breakdown and clean up. After that it is running great again.
If the laser dies anyway it's better just to buy a new xbox. It is a huge hassle to replace to replace the dvd drive if needed. Replacing just the laser is a lot easier but depends on your experience as to how tough it is to fix. I offered to repair a dvd drive one time for a friend and would not recommend it again to anyone.

Last edited by Sons Of Sparda; 04-07-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:03 AM   #9

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons Of Sparda View Post
If the laser dies anyway it's better just to buy a new xbox. It is a huge hassle to replace to replace the dvd drive if needed. Replacing just the laser is a lot easier but depends on your experience as to how tough it is to fix. I offered to repair a dvd drive one time for a friend and would not recommend it again to anyone.
Slim of Fat? Fat isn't too bad. The break down of a fat is easier imo then a slim.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:10 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
Pennsylvania

Quote:
Slim of Fat? Fat isn't too bad. The break down of a fat is easier imo then a slim.
It was a slim. I ended up having to replace the whole dvd drive. I would not do it again. They are so cheap anymore anyway that it's actually easier just to buy a new xbox 360. I still have my xbox 360 but do not play in much since I bought an Xbox One. I will eventually buy a PS4. I have no interest in the Wii U because of the lack of games for it.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
Pennsylvania

Quote:
If the system has enough dirt in it than that alone could be causing many problems the OP has mentioned. I would definitely recommend taking the system apart and giving it a very good cleaning because it really sounds as if it needs it badly.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #12

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons Of Sparda View Post
If the system has enough dirt in it than that alone could be causing many problems the OP has mentioned. I would definitely recommend taking the system apart and giving it a very good cleaning because it really sounds as if it needs it badly.
The least that can be done if OP doesn't want to take it apart is get a can of air and blow it out.
Just use a shop vac and set it to blow.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Australia

Thanks everyone. I do not want to risk voiding the warranty and I'm no expert when it comes to pulling things apart, so maybe buying a compressed can of air to blow out some of the dust/dirt would be the best thing to do.

The inside of my PC could use a clean too. Years and years full of clogged dust in there as well, haha.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #14

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
Thanks everyone. I do not want to risk voiding the warranty and I'm no expert when it comes to pulling things apart, so maybe buying a compressed can of air to blow out some of the dust/dirt would be the best thing to do.

The inside of my PC could use a clean too. Years and years full of clogged dust in there as well, haha.

If it is under warranty, I would call and let them know you have having problems. I would get the can of air first and clean it. If after that, you still hear that sound, I'm sure something is about to go about. If the rails get too dirty and clog when it pulls back it's going to get hung up. So the problem will keep getting worse and worse until it won't even read disc anymore. But yeah clean it and then try it.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:04 AM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

I thought I'd piggy back on this instead of creating another thread. Recently my living room 360 is either not loading up to Live or loading slowly to it. It took so long earlier today that I went upstairs and uploaded the new Batman Origins DLC to the one upstairs. By the time I got the one downstairs squared away it was too late to play. I have both of them set up wirelessly and have had no problems until recently. I also got the load buzzing noise briefly and just as quickly it stopped So any help would be appreciated. Really hope this doesn't mean it is going tits up.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #16

Dec 2009

imo your laser is probably dying. I had the same problem with the game taking forever to load and or just getting the disc unreadble in the middle of a MW3 game. After taking apart the 360 cleaning the laser lens, greasing the disc tray rails, and blowing out all the dust it is working great. I'm sure this isn't a long term solution but it seems to be fine now.

As far as the Xbox Live thing, in all honestly my buddy had the same issues and it is far better to be hardlined if you can be. My living room Xbox is wireless and you can tell the difference with the one that is hardlined in. Night and Day pretty much.

You can DL the games to the HDD but again that is a temp solution if you don't want to take apart the console. Soon or later it won't read disc so you'll either have to send it for $100+ or replace it yourself which isn't hard. I would try cleaning if first.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

I usually download the game I'm playing onto my hard drive and hardlining it isn't an option. I'd have to crawl under my house and I don't have a hazmat suit for that. Bummer if you are right about the laser. Ridiculous if that's the issue. It is maybe a couple of years old? I know my Gears console is older and seems to be doing fine. I'm crossing my fingers that it was an isolated incident. I've never taken apart a 360. Any suggestions on a video to watch on how to?
Old 04-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #18

Dec 2009

I slim went out on me because of the laser. It doesn't help I have hardwood floors and they were playing Kinect haha.
And yeah I hate crawling into crawl spaces. I have to redo the phone lines this summer and I'm not looking forward to it. lol

As far as videos, I looked them up on youtube and most are pretty good. I also checked out a few sites that had pictures on how to do it as well and had that open while I was doing it. I'll see if they are in my favorites and post them here if they are.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:35 AM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

I'm actually wondering if my wireless adapter might be bugging out on me? I'm doing a little testing to see where the problem lies here in a few minutes. But does anyone know if I can just replace it myself or would I have to send it in?
Old 04-24-2014, 01:58 AM   #20

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
I'm actually wondering if my wireless adapter might be bugging out on me? I'm doing a little testing to see where the problem lies here in a few minutes. But does anyone know if I can just replace it myself or would I have to send it in?
I believe you can replace them yourself. You have slim correct and not a E?

If you have a slim.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Xbox+360...placement/3210
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox 360