Best PC Game Deals

Best PC Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Civilization VI (PC)
$24.90
 
Fallout 76 (PC)
$37.04
 
Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void (PC)
$17.00
 
Stronghold Crusader II (PC)
$19.99
 
Destiny 2 (PC)
$249.99
 
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC)
$56.00
 
Starcraft II Battle Chest (PC)
$29.96
 
Diablo III (PC)
$19.96
 
Fallen Earth: Blood Sports (PC)
$7.29
 
Fallout 76 (PC)
$29.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > PC Gaming


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 05:47 AM   #1
Chrissaywer Chrissaywer is offline
Expert Member
 
Mar 2016
30
Default Pc gaming

I recently just got a gaming pc and was wanting to know do all games require steam to play them? If I can play my games without internet then I will most likely return my pc cause I can't stand needing the internet to play a game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:05 AM   #2
Nick The Slick Nick The Slick is offline
Expert Member
 
Nick The Slick's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Kentucky
27
111
2
Default

Check the replay I gave you in the other thread regarding Steam's offline mode. For this question however, no not all games require Steam. Steam is just one of many distribution platforms. There's also Origin, Uplay, GOG (Good Old Games - DRM free meaning exactly what you want. All games from this website can be played offline), and you can of course also buy boxed versions of games.

Like I said in the other thread I can't promise you there won'y be games that refuse to run offline though either due to built-in DRM, refusing to run unless it can check for updates, etc. I'm always connected to the Internet so it's never been something I've had to deal with.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:11 AM   #3
Chrissaywer Chrissaywer is offline
Expert Member
 
Mar 2016
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick The Slick View Post
Check the replay I gave you in the other thread regarding Steam's offline mode. For this question however, no not all games require Steam. Steam is just one of many distribution platforms. There's also Origin, Uplay, GOG (Good Old Games - DRM free meaning exactly what you want. All games from this website can be played offline), and you can of course also buy boxed versions of games.

Like I said in the other thread I can't promise you there won'y be games that refuse to run offline though either due to built-in DRM, refusing to run unless it can check for updates, etc. I'm always connected to the Internet so it's never been something I've had to deal with.
And all I hear is PC is the master race but not all games are guaranteed to play without Internet. Master race my a**. I'll just return my pc and stick to consoles it's to bad I was really excited to play Sid Meiers civilization 6.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
Nick The Slick Nick The Slick is offline
Expert Member
 
Nick The Slick's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Kentucky
27
111
2
Default

Sorry to hear that man, PC definitely isn't for everyone. It has its pitfalls, but for most of us the benefits far outweigh those negatives. I'm assuming you have data caps or something that make the Internet connection thing an issue? Otherwise I just don't see why people are so against it in this day and age where we're reaching a point that Internet is transitioning to being considered a utility instead of a luxury.

Also, when people refer to PC Master Race they're talking about the quality of gameplay, not what has to be done to run the game. Most people who claim PCMR don't really care what they have to do to make the game run, as long as it gives them the best quality, and not just resolution and frame rate which most people like to simplify it down to. Things like Ambient Occlusion, Anti-Aliasing, Texture and Shadow quality, rendering distance, and other Post FX settings are all going to be far superior on even a low-midrange PC than on console (except for the poor quality console ports that force low settings and hold the PC back...) Then there's the hundreds of other things a PC can do besides just gaming.

But I digress. Like I said PC definitely isn't for everyone. Some people just want to play the game, they want the convenience and instant gratification that only console can provide, and/or only care about the true purpose of the game - Entertainment (which some PC elitist tend to forget) and there's nothing wrong with that. But that won't stop me from trying to convince people to the dark side, or the third option - Why not both?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #5
Chrissaywer Chrissaywer is offline
Expert Member
 
Mar 2016
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick The Slick View Post
Sorry to hear that man, PC definitely isn't for everyone. It has its pitfalls, but for most of us the benefits far outweigh those negatives. I'm assuming you have data caps or something that make the Internet connection thing an issue? Otherwise I just don't see why people are so against it in this day and age where we're reaching a point that Internet is transitioning to being considered a utility instead of a luxury.

Also, when people refer to PC Master Race they're talking about the quality of gameplay, not what has to be done to run the game. Most people who claim PCMR don't really care what they have to do to make the game run, as long as it gives them the best quality, and not just resolution and frame rate which most people like to simplify it down to. Things like Ambient Occlusion, Anti-Aliasing, Texture and Shadow quality, rendering distance, and other Post FX settings are all going to be far superior on even a low-midrange PC than on console (except for the poor quality console ports that force low settings and hold the PC back...) Then there's the hundreds of other things a PC can do besides just gaming.

But I digress. Like I said PC definitely isn't for everyone. Some people just want to play the game, they want the convenience and instant gratification that only console can provide, and/or only care about the true purpose of the game - Entertainment (which some PC elitist tend to forget) and there's nothing wrong with that. But that won't stop me from trying to convince people to the dark side, or the third option - Why not both?
I don't have a data cap on internet. I have unlimited my problem is I live on family property and they are trying to sell it so if they sell then I have to move and I don't think I will be able to get internet again if I move. Cause the internet company had to come out here and run a whole new line and fiber cable it told them 3 months to get it done. It's crazy my mom just bought this pc for me for my birthday now I don't what I'm going to do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #6
Nick The Slick Nick The Slick is offline
Expert Member
 
Nick The Slick's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Kentucky
27
111
2
Default

Ah I see, that makes since now. Well from what I'm reading all Steam games should work fine in offline mode as long as you follow the steps to enable offline mode and ensure the games you want to play have been fully downloaded and ran at least once while online. Also check out GOG.com to see if it has any games you're interested in as all of the games on that site are 100% guaranteed to work offline. Unfortunately on the PC, games are much easier to pirate than on console so this always online DRM and the like are a necessary evil. No one ever said PC doesn't have its downsides (well, maybe the people in denial), otherwise consoles wouldn't even exist today. If you're not convinced it will work out hopefully your mom can still return the PC and get you a console instead.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:18 AM   #7
Chrissaywer Chrissaywer is offline
Expert Member
 
Mar 2016
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick The Slick View Post
Ah I see, that makes since now. Well from what I'm reading all Steam games should work fine in offline mode as long as you follow the steps to enable offline mode and ensure the games you want to play have been fully downloaded and ran at least once while online. Also check out GOG.com to see if it has any games you're interested in as all of the games on that site are 100% guaranteed to work offline. Unfortunately on the PC, games are much easier to pirate than on console so this always online DRM and the like are a necessary evil. No one ever said PC doesn't have its downsides (well, maybe the people in denial), otherwise consoles wouldn't even exist today. If you're not convinced it will work out hopefully your mom can still return the PC and get you a console instead.
I got all the consoles that are out. I just wanted to get into pc cause of games like Sid meiers civilization 6 and stuff. So aslong as the game is fully downloaded I can disconnect for the internet and play it? Yeah everyone I know that is a PC gamer has. Ever mentioned this issue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
Nick The Slick Nick The Slick is offline
Expert Member
 
Nick The Slick's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Kentucky
27
111
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissaywer View Post
I got all the consoles that are out. I just wanted to get into pc cause of games like Sid meiers civilization 6 and stuff. So aslong as the game is fully downloaded I can disconnect for the internet and play it? Yeah everyone I know that is a PC gamer has. Ever mentioned this issue.
Correct, and follow the other steps to enable Steam offline mode outlined here or here. Yea, people probably don't mention it because it's never been an issue for them, like me. I've just never been without Internet, save for maybe a day or two after moving, but I'm too busy with the move to even think about gaming .
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
Wingman1977 Wingman1977 is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Wingman1977's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The empire state
297
1070
23
Default

It's a real shame that you returned it. You're going to be missing out on the games running better, being way cheaper (thanks Origin/Steam/Uplay sales and key sites), mods, free multiplayer and all multiplayer games running on dedicated servers (if not all, at least most).
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:17 PM   #10
Chrissaywer Chrissaywer is offline
Expert Member
 
Mar 2016
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
It's a real shame that you returned it. You're going to be missing out on the games running better, being way cheaper (thanks Origin/Steam/Uplay sales and key sites), mods, free multiplayer and all multiplayer games running on dedicated servers (if not all, at least most).
I haven't returned it yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #11
Wingman1977 Wingman1977 is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Wingman1977's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The empire state
297
1070
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissaywer View Post
I haven't returned it yet.
Oh, good. KEEP IT!!!!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:06 PM   #12
Chrissaywer Chrissaywer is offline
Expert Member
 
Mar 2016
30
Default

What controller will work for the pc? I was going to get the Xbox controller adapter for it but don't know if it will work for all the games. And I'm not buying a monitor I'm hooking it up to my tv.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #13
Nick The Slick Nick The Slick is offline
Expert Member
 
Nick The Slick's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Kentucky
27
111
2
Default

The 360 and xbox one controllers work with their respective adapters, I believe the ps4 controller has an adapter now as well but imo the best experience will be with either of the xbox controllers. They will work with any game that supports controllers (fps's, most rpg's, racing games, etc.). Some genres just can't be played with controller though and don't support it like real time strategy games. Just look at the store page on steam for the game and look down the right side at the features and it will say full or partial controller support if it supports it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:50 AM   #14
Chrissaywer Chrissaywer is offline
Expert Member
 
Mar 2016
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick The Slick View Post
The 360 and xbox one controllers work with their respective adapters, I believe the ps4 controller has an adapter now as well but imo the best experience will be with either of the xbox controllers. They will work with any game that supports controllers (fps's, most rpg's, racing games, etc.). Some genres just can't be played with controller though and don't support it like real time strategy games. Just look at the store page on steam for the game and look down the right side at the features and it will say full or partial controller support if it supports it.
How's the steam controller is it worth buying?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:21 AM   #15
Nick The Slick Nick The Slick is offline
Expert Member
 
Nick The Slick's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Kentucky
27
111
2
Default

I've never personally used it and I hear mixed feelings about it. You'll have to check out reviews and user opinions and see what you think. I prefer just using my Xbox controller for RPGs, Action Adventure, and racing/driving games and use my keyboard and mouse for everything else.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #16
Chrissaywer Chrissaywer is offline
Expert Member
 
Mar 2016
30
Default

What are some games I should check out on PC? I'm already going to buy Sid Meiers Civilization 6. Thinking about buying GTA 5 to play with mods.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:33 AM   #17
Nick The Slick Nick The Slick is offline
Expert Member
 
Nick The Slick's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Kentucky
27
111
2
Default

Civ 6 is a great start. I'm not entirely sure I can recommend GTA 5 if you don't intend on playing online, as that's where most of the games value comes from (for me anyways). The single player is good, don't get me wrong, but once you're done with it it's kind of like "that's it?". If you want a game to mod to hell I'd recommend Skyrim, but that's not everyone's cup of tea and it can be frustrating to mod.

You've probably played some of these on console already but some suggestions I'd give are:
Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider
Metro series
The Witcher series
Doom
Cities: Skylines (this is hit or miss for people. Best city builder I've ever played and can be heavily modded as well)
Batman Arkham series
Homeworld, Stellaris and/or Sins of a Solar Empire are some good space strategy games since you're interested in Civ 6
The Anno series is another strategy/city builder type game. Very hit or miss this series and requires UPlay to play.
Far Cry series
Half-Life 1 and 2 are old at this point, but are probably the most recommended PC games ever
Mass Effect series
Assetto Corsa or Project Cars for racing sims (these are somewhat hardcore racing sims though, not your typical arcade style racing games)
Forza Horizon 3 is supposed to be good but you can only get it from the Microsoft store which is a can of worms I'm not willing to open
Sleeping Dogs is a really good GTA style game

I could go on and on here, and these are just games that I'm interested in. I'm sure there are a ton of great games that would be more suited to you that I probably wouldn't be interested in and vice-versa. I would say just start looking through Steam, start adding games you think you find interesting to your wishlist and Steam will start suggesting games and giving you a queue of similar games/games it thinks you'll like to also look through.

That's one of the great things about PC gaming, there is definitely no shortage of games, and with frequent sales and sites like cdkeys.com you can often get them for dirt cheap. There's literally thousands of Indie games and lesser known oddballs and diamonds in the rough that you kind of have to just happen upon. Then we can get into the world of emulators which opens up a crap ton of possibilities, but I won't get into that, especially since ethics can get dicey with that subject...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #18
KRW1 KRW1 is offline
Power Member
 
Oct 2012
45
Default

I play offline on mine all the time, because I've got a cheap ass USB wifi plug for it and it drops out from time to time. Doesn't make any difference, I can still play most games unless obviously, it's an online game like Elite Dangerous or something.

Speaking of Elite Dangerous, definitely consider giving that a go. It's one of the most engrossing games I've ever played and I don't really do anything on it apart from pootle around a bit but the beauty of it is you can play it however you like.

I thought about a Steam controller but read some not so good things about it, so stick with a standard Xbox controller and, so far, haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Also recommend CD Keys, had some excellent bargains from there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #19
Chrissaywer Chrissaywer is offline
Expert Member
 
Mar 2016
30
Default

So I got my desktop in and it wont show up on my TV. I swear PC gaming sucks. This is the one I bought
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-g11...?skuId=5614800

Last edited by Chrissaywer; 01-05-2017 at 10:16 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 PM   #20
KRW1 KRW1 is offline
Power Member
 
Oct 2012
45
Default

They are quirky, granted, but don't give up, it is worth it.

Are you using HDMI? I had a few problems getting mine recognised through my receiver but I got there in the end. It's more likely a TV issue than a PC issue - is there a gaming mode or something, or a particular input it wants you to use?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
zooropa56 (04-29-2017)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > PC Gaming


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:27 PM.