Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Now: Seraph of the End: Vampire Rei… $24.00 (24% claimed)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Justice League 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
€15.00

Black Panther (Blu-ray)
€14.99

Ready Player One (Blu-ray)
€13.99

Rampage (Blu-ray)
€13.99

Passengers (Blu-ray)
€7.99

Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
€11.99

Justice League 4K (Blu-ray)
€14.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
€13.99

The Jungle Book (Blu-ray)
€11.99

Justice League (Blu-ray)
€10.99

It (Blu-ray)
€10.99

The Fox and the Hound (Blu-ray)
€12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France

Old 04-11-2017, 01:09 AM   #1

Jan 2012
Default Ulzana's Raid (1972) from Elephant Films

Big fan of Robert Aldrich and this film and I was very impressed with Elephant's release of "Night Passage" and was wondering if anybody knows anything about this release.
This thread on DVDClassik suggests that it contains both the US (the "Aldrich cut") and European (the "Lancaster cut") versions of the film:

http://www.dvdclassik.com/forum/view...p?f=22&t=37174

One poster says, "FUREUR APACHE chez Elephant est annoncé pour mars prochain. ca sera un combo, et il possèdera 2 montages, celui voulu par Lancaster et celui voulu par Aldrich", which, according to Google translate, is, "FUREUR APACHE at Elephant is announced for next March. It will be a combo, and it will have 2 assemblies, that wanted by Lancaster and that wanted by Aldrich."

A good discussion of the differences between the two cuts can be found here: http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15475&
Old 04-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #2
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

I too am a big admirer of this film and it would be interesting to see the two cuts.

But one question always arises with French BDs of English language films. Can anyone confirm whether the French subtitles are forced or optional when playing the English soundtrack?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
Expert Member

Jun 2013
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Big fan of Robert Aldrich and this film and I was very impressed with Elephant's release of "Night Passage" and was wondering if anybody knows anything about this release.
This thread on DVDClassik suggests that it contains both the US (the "Aldrich cut") and European (the "Lancaster cut") versions of the film:

http://www.dvdclassik.com/forum/view...p?f=22&t=37174

One poster says, "FUREUR APACHE chez Elephant est annoncé pour mars prochain. ca sera un combo, et il possèdera 2 montages, celui voulu par Lancaster et celui voulu par Aldrich", which, according to Google translate, is, "FUREUR APACHE at Elephant is announced for next March. It will be a combo, and it will have 2 assemblies, that wanted by Lancaster and that wanted by Aldrich."

A good discussion of the differences between the two cuts can be found here: http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15475&
Ha, my younger self is well-involved in that discussion on what was then DVD Maniacs!

I'll pick up this French edtion in a heartbeat if it is confirmed that the French subtitles can be removed.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
Expert Member

Jun 2013
London, UK

Apparently there's a German release coming in June too. I've been very close to buying the (single cut) Italian bluray of this over the last couple of months too.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
Banned

Sep 2010
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahams76 View Post
Ha, my younger self is well-involved in that discussion on what was then DVD Maniacs!

I'll pick up this French edtion in a heartbeat if it is confirmed that the French subtitles can be removed.
I bought the release, I'll try and check that tonight for both cuts.

Note that the Aldrich cut is on the BD-25 while the Lancaster cut only is on the DVD-9.
Thanks given by:
Mister Ed (04-12-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #6

May 2013
France

Hi

I've got this one in my collection and i confirmed that the subtitles can be removed while watching the film with the blu-ray disc (like almost Elephants Film release). Forget about the Lancaster's cut, like tenia said it's on DVD with no restauration of the vidéo part, that mean VHS quality rendering, it stings the eyes...

Last edited by dreamon-86; 04-12-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Thanks given by:
Bruce Morrison (04-12-2017), grahams76 (04-12-2017), Mister Ed (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #7

Jan 2012

^ Thanks for the answers, guys. Good news about the subs. And it's the Aldrich cut I want anyway!
How's the video quality? I thought "Night Passage" looked very good.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 04-12-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
Expert Member

Jun 2013
London, UK

Is the upcoming German release likely to have the Lancaster cut in better quality?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #9

May 2013
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
^ Thanks for the answers, guys. Good news about the subs. And it's the Aldrich cut I want anyway!
How's the video quality? I thought "Night Passage" looked very good.
Same here the 1080p/24Hz master looks very good even if its encoded on BD 25 instead a BD 50. Audio is in DTS-HD MA 2.0 Mono with excellent quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahams76 View Post
Is the upcoming German release likely to have the Lancaster cut in better quality?
I have no idea.
Thanks given by:
grahams76 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #10

May 2013
France

I found a review on dvdclassik.com, here the translation made by google :

Ulzana's Raid has never been entitled to a video transfer worthy of interest whatever the support. This new presentation on Blu ray support is the best published to date, but it is not completely convincing. The fault lies with the Universal studio, which does not make the effort to properly transfer its heritage with the most appropriate tools and methodology. The American majors Columbia, Warner and Fox restore in 4k about twenty titles each year when at the same time, Universal restores only a few. So the Fox proposes to the editors a magnificent 4k restoration of the emperor of the north, when Universal only proposes an HD master not very respectful of Ulzana's Raid. This situation is, to say the least, frustrating. This fact makes it easy to admit that this new HD transfer is nevertheless very much superior to the previous SD telecine used for the Universal dvd released in France in 2003. This Blu ray presents a rather hard image with a noticeable distortion of the contours, a 2K scan would probably have been more accurate from this point of view. The colorimetry is rather uneven, the exteriors are pleasant but the carnation of the faces is sometimes too red. In a positive point, the noise reducer has not been used as Universal is sometimes used, the grain is present although not always natural in appearance. The encoding is correct, the film is presented at its original cadence in 24 images / second and in format 1.85 (the dvd 2003 is in 1.77 format).

You can find the entire review in french here : http://www.dvdclassik.com/test/blu-r...elephant-films

Last edited by dreamon-86; 04-22-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Thanks given by:
Mister Ed (04-23-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #11

Apr 2010
London England

Subtitles are optional. Good looking transfer of this brutal western.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France