Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Northman 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
Bram Stoker's Dracula 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
16 hrs ago
Raging Bull 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Everything Everywhere All At Once 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Elvis 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
4 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Motion Picture 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99
5 hrs ago
Okja 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Better Call Saul: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$31.98
1 day ago
Double Indemnity 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Virgin Suicides 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Shaft 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Devil in a Blue Dress 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 03-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #21

Dec 2010
North Palm Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post
Messed up as it is I stepped up to the JVC NX7 from the RS420 because I lost an aunt to Covid.. she left me a small inheritance, a good deal of which I used on that.

But home theater has always been important to me. Now more than ever, when theaters closed I didnít shed a tear. Still donít miss em much.
I don't miss going to the theatre as much as I expected I would. Will still go once things get back to somewhat normal, but will likely go only when a must see movie hits the big screen. With the advent of movies being released simultaneously at home via streaming, my home theatre is all I need otherwise.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:27 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Los Angeles

Covid didn't make me "care again" about my home theater, since it's been my primary obsession (in one form or another) since 1983 when I purchased my family's first VCR with money I'd saved from mowing lawns... but it did give me a whole lot more time to indulge!

In an instance of "perfect timing", I'd just started the previous November (of 2019) going through my library of physical media in chronological order, starting with Lumiere Bros shorts and my silents. I expected this odyssey to take a very long time, but lo and behold: with the shutdown, I got all the way up to 1981 and RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK by mid-November of last year. Then I got called away on a long-term gig in the UAE, and only just got back to my beloved home theater this past week. Gave my projector a big hug and started the chronology up again by re-watching RAIDERS.

Very grateful to have this obsession, which has provided me with such joyful escape over the years. I've been enjoying the hell outta my chronological journey -- and it's helped keep me (somewhat) sane.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (03-20-2021), gotmule (03-12-2021), SpazeBlue (03-12-2021), Steedeel (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 03:50 AM   #23
Special Member

Jan 2009

Great timing with building and moving in the new house so it’s been fun to upgrade the new space.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:02 PM   #24

Jul 2020

Added pretty much everything in my sig, except for the projector and screen.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (03-20-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 03:13 PM   #25
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

I have always cared and I always will.
Thanks given by:
SpazeBlue (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 03:16 PM   #26
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

I never stopped caring and so it did not really change much on my side but there have been a few people that were a lot more jealous.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (03-13-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 06:18 PM   #27
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007
BJ's Wholesale Club

I don't know how much Covid is to blame or credit but I recently spent a lot more time with my theater. Sometimes watching 3 movies in a day.

Sometimes cleaning components. Or checking wiring.

I have been quite addicted to Home Theater for the last 20 years. Started in 1999 when I got my first projector and I always learn new things.
Thanks given by:
gates70 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 06:37 PM   #28
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009
Canada

Always cared and wouldn't do without a HT, but I took the time to build a new room and get some new equipment...you can check out the build here https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=330138
Thanks given by:
bhampton (07-26-2021), jd31 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 12:32 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

I did some clean up behind the scenes. All my gear, including the projector is in another room behind the theatre. It was unfinished space and I finished, drywalled the ceiling and walls, built some shelves, reorganized my media. Haven't added any tech though, I'm pretty set and happy with what I have.

Beyond that two things happened during the pandemic:

1. We have watched more movies as a family than I thought humanly possible It has been amazing, we watched all 23 MCU movies in about a 6 week span, it feels like we've watched every family friendly movie franchise you could name, Back to The Future, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Twilight, Fast and the Furious, half of the James Bonds, it just goes on and on what we've watched. My girls are getting older now (14/16) and pre-pandemic their evenings were filled with all the things kids used to do, music lessons, dance, school, friends, we'd be lucky to get 1 night a week as a family... at the height of things we were watching movies every single night as a family, it was a real dream come true for me . As things slowly go back to normal things have slowed down, but I'll never forget these last 18 months or so, they've been amazing from that perspective.

2. The other big thing that happened during the pandemic was I dramatically decreased my physical media purchases.

Where I would 1 - 4 titles a month heading into the pandemic, I think I've bought 2 in total over the last 18 months. Combine the fact of very few new theatrical releases coming out and I'm down to pretty much nothing.

Streaming has gotten too good, with WB going day and date with their new titles I haven't bought any of their releases, just got HBO MAX instead. I don't like paying full price for my media and every time I want to pick something up in 4K I wait for it to drop in price and inevitably it shows up on one of the streaming services and I pass. Last two movies I thought I'd grab was Love and Monsters and Monster Hunters and both showed up on streaming before I saw a price drop on 4K so I just streamed them.

Last edited by roar; 07-28-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Thanks given by:
crutzulee (02-14-2022), gates70 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 10:45 PM   #30
Blu-ray Champion

May 2021
USA

Oh yeah definitely. Last year I finally got around to ordering a new receiver to replace my broken one from 8 years ago. Then around Black Friday I ordered my first 4K TV and started saving up for another one. But a couple months ago I decided to just spend that money on another home theater system since I was just watching UHD discs with TV speakers. Last week I finally finished my Atmos system with ceiling speakers.
Thanks given by:
SpazeBlue (07-29-2021)
Old 01-06-2022, 09:35 AM   #31

Jan 2022

Due to the coronavirus, I also bought myself a home theater. Lol. In reality, I rarely visit the cinema now. I bought myself a Netflix subscription and just enjoy watching.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:34 PM   #32

Oct 2014

I suppose I can admit covid had something to do with me getting back into my HT. I sorta want to lean more towards the next gen console(PS5), but it was both.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:58 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

I haven't upgraded anything but I have purchased more medial. CDs, LPs and movies. The local store that I go to each week has been shut down a couple of times due to restrictions. They've had curbside pickup only so I've been buying more to help them out because they're a small chain of small stores in Southwestern Ontario. I've been going there for years and we have a great relationship so I always support them as much as I can.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:28 PM   #34

Jun 2010

My main renovation was done pre CoViD, and while I did get a Sub during the pandemic, I don't think that was the reason. I also installed some Atmos ceiling speakers, and hope to get an Atmos enabled AVR in the next month or so, but I don't think it's related to the pandemic, just my natural slow progression...
Old 01-15-2022, 06:01 AM   #35
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

I just by HT equipment when I need to replace something. I haven't been buying as many BD's since I have most of the things I want now. I did stream more since I kept Prime, so I watched some new shows and rewatched some shows that don't have BD releases that I would have bought. I rarely have gone to cinema since I bought the HT about 2008.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:49 PM   #36
Special Member

Aug 2013
Texas

Last year we upgraded the living room TV to a LG CX 77. It's been a fantastic upgrade and my family watches more movies & TV shows together now.

As I saw my local Fry's Electronics store close permanently, and the blu-ray section of the local Best Buy shrink to almost nothing over the pandemic, I definitely value my physical media collection a lot more. I have quite a few limited editions and older out of print blu-rays & DVD's that can't be easily replaced.

Started watching some of my older DVD sets that I hadn't watched in several years like Aqua Teen, Harvey Birdman, Sealab, Futurama, Mr. Bean, Dukes of Hazard, etc. Those are great for a laugh and escape.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:36 AM   #37
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

I have always cared.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:33 PM   #38

Aug 2013

It didn't do much for my home theater -- I already wasn't going to the theater much before COVID, so stopping going altogether was a pretty minor change. But it did make me finally bite the bullet and finally assemble a decent backyard theater. The outdoor air, better distancing, etc seems a perfect match for COVID-safe gatherings.

Of course, I have to wait for the weather to improve now...
Old 02-08-2022, 02:20 AM   #39

Feb 2022

Covid had nothing to do with it. My neighbor started hosting outdoor movie nights, and it just went from there. I tried my hand at it, and ended up liking it so much that I put together an inside version that could get more use throughout they year.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:32 AM   #40

Apr 2009
Ajax, Ontario

Not really COVID related, but I replaced my Sony VPL-HW40 ES with a (factory refurb) Epson 5050 UBe. The Sony was getting dimmer, less contrast, even with a new aftermarket lamp. The difference is impressive, and of course includes 4K and HDR.

Less exciting, I'm waiting for delivery of a replacement driver for my SVS sub. It's an awful noise when they fail!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion