Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
1 day ago
Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
1 day ago
Old 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
9 hrs ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Candyman 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 day ago
Edge of Tomorrow 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
The Shawshank Redemption 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
12 hrs ago
No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
22 hrs ago
Halloween Kills 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Zack Snyder's Justice League 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 day ago
Wild Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 05-10-2022, 02:52 PM   #1

Aug 2015
Question Xbox One X vs PCM audio vs Soundbar

I have just bought a Sony HT-ZF9. It supports every format under the sun, including PCM 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1.

My Xbox One X is connected to the soundbar which is then connected to the TV via ARC (not eARC, in case that matters). When playing Blu-Rays the Xbox is set to pass the audio through directly to the soundbar.

All is good with one exception, Blu-Rays with PCM audio. I have various movies, usually from Arrow, that have lossless PCM audio tracks ranging from mono up to 5.1 and also my venerable old copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey which has a PCM 5.1 track.

Whenever I play such a track, the display on the soundbar is telling me it's receiving whatever output setting I choose for gaming audio. I assume the Xbox is decoding the Blu-Ray audio instead of passing it along like it's supposed to. The only exception to this is if I set the audio to Dolby Atmos, in which case the soundbar reports it is receiving a LPCM 7.1 track.

If I set the Xbox One to output PCM 7.1, what effect on the sound would this have? For example, if I watched a movie with a 1.0 track, would it just mix that in with six other silent channels or would it try to create some sort of artificial upmix that won't sound right?

I should note that the Xbox outputs PCM 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1 to the soundbar just fine from other sources - games etc. If the track is a Dolby or DTS one there's no issue.

Thank you in advance for any advice/help etc.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Tags
pcm, soundbar, xbox