Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Ozzy Osbourne: The Ozzman Cometh (iTunes)
$6.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: iTunes Originals: Red Hot Chili Peppers (iTunes)
$10.99

Sevendust: Black Out the Sun (iTunes)
$6.99

Vishal-Shekhar: Sultan (iTunes)
$3.99

Sevendust: Cold Day Memory (iTunes)
$6.99

Green Day: Greatest Hits: God's Favorite Band (iTunes)
$6.99

Sevendust: Chapter VII: Hope & Sorrow (iTunes)
$6.99

Sevendust: Kill the Flaw (iTunes)
$6.99

Spiritualized: And Nothing Hurt (iTunes)
$4.99

Piero Piccioni: I fratelli Karamazov (iTunes)
$7.99

Sevendust: Time Travelers & Bonfires (iTunes)
$6.99

Sevendust: Next (iTunes)
$6.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 05-10-2022, 10:54 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008
Wakanda
Default Soundbar Dolby atmos question

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-Q6...dDbGljaz10cnVl

I just got this soundbar and used the HDMI Arc setup. It says it is Dolby atmos capable but I donít get that with things that should. Is it because it doesnít have E-Arc input? If thatís the case how do I get Dolby atmos?
Old 05-12-2022, 05:57 AM   #2

Sep 2013
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeagles5039 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-Q6...dDbGljaz10cnVl

I just got this soundbar and used the HDMI Arc setup. It says it is Dolby atmos capable but I donít get that with things that should. Is it because it doesnít have E-Arc input? If thatís the case how do I get Dolby atmos?
Buy a tv that supports E Arc within the hdmi
Old 05-15-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008
The Diamond Capital of North Americaô

Hook up your 4K player to the hdmi input on the sound bar then your soundbar to the tv via the hdmi output. Make sure to use quality cables.

For your other sources, use the toslink out from the tv to the soundbar.

If you donít have the compatible rear speakers, I recommend getting them for a more immersive effect.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:56 AM   #4

Sep 2013
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
Hook up your 4K player to the hdmi input on the sound bar then your soundbar to the tv via the hdmi output. Make sure to use quality cables.

For your other sources, use the toslink out from the tv to the soundbar.

If you donít have the compatible rear speakers, I recommend getting them for a more immersive effect.
You mean he will get Atmos even without E -arc then?
Old 05-17-2022, 11:59 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008
The Diamond Capital of North Americaô

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinncent View Post
You mean he will get Atmos even without E -arc then?
Yes.
As long as whatever source he has going into that input on the soundbar has it, itíll do it.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:19 PM   #6

Sep 2013
Sweden

So E-Arc is not needed?
Old 05-17-2022, 04:18 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinncent View Post
So E-Arc is not needed?
Yes, eArc isn't needed for Dolby Atmos or DTS:X. I don't have the E Arc input connected on my sound system because I don't like it because it causes slight audio delays and complications periodically, when it switch sources automatically. I prefer to charge the source of the audio manually. But no, you don't need eArc for Dolby Atmos. If you don't have eArc on your system, you can still listen and enjoy Dolby Amos and DTS:X and other audio soundfields.

Last edited by slimdude; 05-19-2022 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:27 PM   #8

Sep 2013
Sweden

But why does it say e arc is needed thru hdmi to get atmos on some soundbars….. just like the thread starter said? I guess it would work for him otherwise?
Old 05-17-2022, 08:28 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

You need either ARC or eARC to get Atmos when you use streaming apps in the TV, but I believe the TV has to be compatible with Atmos too.

You don't need it for external devices if you plug the HDMI feed directly into the soundbar. If you plug the player directly into the TV, you can only get Atmos via eARC, not ARC.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (05-20-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 07:46 AM   #10

Sep 2013
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
You need either ARC or eARC to get Atmos when you use streaming apps in the TV, but I believe the TV has to be compatible with Atmos too.

You don't need it for external devices if you plug the HDMI feed directly into the soundbar. If you plug the player directly into the TV, you can only get Atmos via eARC, not ARC.
Ok thx

Last edited by vinncent; 05-18-2022 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:06 AM   #11

Nov 2017
Nott'm, UK

There's mainly two types of Atmos.

Streaming services and TV broadcasters utilise 'lossy' encoded Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos meta-data. Which can be passed from a TV to a decoder via regular HDMI ARC.

4K UHD Blu-ray discs utilise 'lossless' encoded Dolby TrueHD with Atmos meta-data. Which can be passed from a TV to a decoder via HDMI eARC.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:08 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tejas

I have a 2017 LG OLED C7, which is too old for eArc.

Would I still be able to enjoy Atmos with a newer soundbar? As things are right now, I get the Dolby Atmos flag thing on some things I watch using an Apple TV 4K. I haven’t used the TV apps in so long I forget if I can get Atmos through those as well.

Wondering if I get a new soundbar though (JBL 9.1 or Sonos is what I have my eyes on), can I still get Atmos without too much complication. I’m a dummy with audio and connections.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:18 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Gotham
Default Just Like Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
I have a 2017 LG OLED C7, which is too old for eArc.

Would I still be able to enjoy Atmos with a newer soundbar? As things are right now, I get the Dolby Atmos flag thing on some things I watch using an Apple TV 4K. I haven’t used the TV apps in so long I forget if I can get Atmos through those as well.

Wondering if I get a new soundbar though (JBL 9.1 or Sonos is what I have my eyes on), can I still get Atmos without too much complication. I’m a dummy with audio and connections.
Plan to move my C8 to the master bedroom, where it will be paired with an Apple TV 4K and Panasonic 820.

My media room (Denon 5.1.2 below in sig) will get a new OLED (likely a C2, perhaps a Sony), so my bedroom won't be the place to watch most UHD content, but rather streaming, Blu-ray, and the occasional UHD title.

Because I have the 820 and lack eARC with the C8, one option is to run the Audio Out from the Panasonic directly to a sound bar to capture lossless via an HDMI input, and use an optical connection from the C8 apps and/or Apple TV 4K as noted above.

Another option, and the one I selected, was to employ an HDMI 2.1 splitter.

Ordered a Sonos Beam (Gen 2; with the option to upgrade w/SW and surrounds at a later date), and an HDMI splitter, i.e., HD Fury Arcana, which channel C8 apps, Apple TV 4K and the Panasonic 820 just like an AVR.

The Sonos is backordered until mid-June, so I'm just waiting on that and the Sony reviews before the new OLED and bedroom set-up.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:41 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
Plan to move my C8 to the master bedroom, where it will be paired with an Apple TV 4K and Panasonic 820.

My media room (Denon 5.1.2 below in sig) will get a new OLED (likely a C2, perhaps a Sony), so my bedroom won't be the place to watch most UHD content, but rather streaming, Blu-ray, and the occasional UHD title.

Because I have the 820 and lack eARC with the C8, one option is to run the Audio Out from the Panasonic directly to a sound bar to capture lossless via an HDMI input, and use an optical connection from the C8 apps and/or Apple TV 4K as noted above.

Another option, and the one I selected, was to employ an HDMI 2.1 splitter.

Ordered a Sonos Beam (Gen 2; with the option to upgrade w/SW and surrounds at a later date), and an HDMI splitter, i.e., HD Fury Arcana, which channel C8 apps, Apple TV 4K and the Panasonic 820 just like an AVR.

The Sonos is backordered until mid-June, so I'm just waiting on that and the Sony reviews before the new OLED and bedroom set-up.
Thanks! Iíll have to save this for if and when I get a soundbar setup in my rental.

Forgot to ask, will an older LG 4k player be able to play Atmos 4k discs with my LG C7 and a new soundbar?
Old 05-18-2022, 03:48 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
...will an older LG 4k player be able to play Atmos 4k discs with my LG C7 and a new soundbar?
Is the C7 Atmos capable for on-board apps? Does the 970 have an 'audio out' HDMI port? If not, you would need an HDMI splitter as noted in my earlier post.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:58 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tejas

Quote:
Is the C7 Atmos capable for on-board apps? Does the 970 have an 'audio out' HDMI port? If not, you would need an HDMI splitter as noted in my earlier post.
Iíll have to look into both of those.

Thank you very much!
Thanks given by:
cgpublic (05-18-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 01:57 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tejas

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the LG built-in apps are atmos-capable. I can't test it now because I got new internet installed a couple of weeks ago and have just been using the Apple TV for all of my streaming needs. I haven't tried the built-in apps, but I tried this morning with no luck. I can't get my TV to connect to the network.

On the back of my LG 970 4k player though, I have:

1) HDMI 1 - out to TV
2) HDMI 2 - audio only
3) optical - audio out

Would any of those allow for atmos?

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2022, 02:17 PM   #18

Nov 2017
Nott'm, UK

Quote:
Is the C7 Atmos capable for on-board apps?
Yes.

Quote:
Does the 970 have an 'audio out' HDMI port?
Yes.
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 02:35 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Yes.

Yes.
So I "should" be able to get atmos with either the JBL 9.1 or Sonos setups (any other suggestions)?

I'm looking for a soundbar + sub that works well, plays "Atmos" and all the other movie formats (I see some don't play DTS). I'm in a rental right now and not 100% sure I will though. I may just wait it out and get a better 5.1 system once I'm in our longer-term home.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:57 PM   #20

Nov 2017
Nott'm, UK

Personally, I'm not a fan of sound bars and haven't kept up with their feature-sets!

However, when it comes to "all the other movie formats" you're fortunate that both of your LG devices not only offer in-built Atmos decoding and pass-through they also offer DTS decoding and pass-through (which their newer devices don't).
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (05-19-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion