Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
George Carlin Commemorative Collection (DVD)
$49.80

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (DVD)
$17.96

WKRP in Cincinnati: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.66
5 hrs ago
Ultraman Mebius: Complete Series + 4 Movies (DVD)
$22.99

Jazz (DVD)
$43.98
4 hrs ago
Father Stu (DVD)
$19.99

King Richard (DVD)
$9.99

Morbius (DVD)
$17.96

Fatherhood (DVD)
$17.96

Lucifer: The Complete Fifth Season (DVD)
$21.69

Northern Exposure: The Complete Series (DVD)
$34.51

Luca (DVD)
$10.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 06-23-2021, 11:13 PM   #121
Expert Member

Feb 2021

Edward Woodward and John Thaw drove Jaguars that were fun to drive.

Thanks given by:
cutback73 (06-27-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 11:44 PM   #122
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default Season three premiere "Blood and Wine"

Watched a couple of weekends ago, the feature-length third season premiere "Blood and Wine". Yes, there were occasionly some preposterous parts (both while watching it, and what I thought about after finishing watching it), but I've got to say, I thought this was brilliant. It was helped by the very good transfer (it was colourful, not faded and sharp at times), with only some short-lived scratchiness to the sound in the title sequence. I enjoyed the episode more on this second viewing (like with Hawaii Five-O and Mannix, watching the episodes again, but with fresh eyes, you see the episodes in a different or slightly different way, seeing things you missed the first time round and enjoying it more).

"Blood and Wine" had a larger scale with the story. At first I wondered where Edward Woodward was, because McCall doesn't appear straight away (had in my mind what I'd read before, that Telly Savalas was apparently brought in to help out Woodward (Savalas does appear in quite a lot of scenes). Woodward apparently had a body double in some of the two-part mini-series Codename: Kyril, because he was suffering from exhaustion (although I still haven't read anything concrete which says Edward Woodward went straight from finishing filming The Equalizer's second season to filming Codename: Kyril, then going back to the States to film the first four episodes of The Equalizer's third season in the months of May and June before the strike).

I liked how the story was written (in hindsight I liked how
[Show spoiler]McCall and Kostmayer's first appearances ended up having something to do with the grand storyline), including how McCall didn't realise or know that his latest case had something to do with what guest star Tom Atkins's FBI character had brought Telly Savalas's priest character into his case for (a terrorist called Alpha, played by guest star William Atherton,
in the first of his two appearances on the series (the second would be later on in the fourth and final season).
[Show spoiler]It was like they were working the same case from different directions.

The actress who played
[Show spoiler]the woman who Atherton's character was living with,
I'm sure I've seen her in something else.

There were plenty of details in "Blood and Wine" (you could say too much), which is why I said at the start of this mini-review/review "preposterous". However, you couldn't grumble about how much had been packed into this feature-length episode. McCall didn't appear straight away, but once he did, he had plenty to do (it reminded me of John Glen's directoral debut in the Bond film series, For Your Eyes Only, with how much Sir Roger Moore's Bond had to do. It was packed full of action scenes).

One of the reasons why I thought it was a bit preposterous, was when
[Show spoiler] they were racing from one location to another, Alpha slowing McCall down by leaving various types of explosives which needed to be stopped (outside the home of Tom Atkins's character's family home, and at the home of where Alpha was living with the woman).
But this is a small criticism, and didn't take away from how strong this season opener was.

As if there wasn't the big scale storyline, also mixed into it was
[Show spoiler]some kind of carnival or festival going on in New York City.

Basically, I loved this episode.

One other thing, actor Keith Szarabajka, as of this episode went from being a recurring guest star to getting an "Also Starring" credit.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (06-24-2021), cutback73 (06-27-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #123
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default Season three episode "In the Money"

Watched this past weekend, the season three episode "In the Money". For starters, the transfer while not as good as the one for "Blood and Wine", was an improvement on the previous episode "Suspicion of Innocence".

The story of this episode had a financial theme, with guest stars including John Heard, Dennis Boutsikaris and Ashley Crow. I thought John Heard appeared in an episode slightly later on in the third season, "Shadow Play". But I think I'm getting confuised with JT Walsh.

Some nice, varied locations away from the financial centre of the city (especially the riverside location where (I assume) one of McCall's properties was. I'd like to know which of the New York City bridges was seen in the background in one scene and which river it was,

There was one bit which seemed too similar to something in "Blood and Wine", where McCall's client (and this was certainly not the ideal introduction,
[Show spoiler]being found by McCall and Kostmayer washed up on the riverside).
In the season premiere,
[Show spoiler]McCall appears on the riverside after he and his client (in a car) are pushed into the water by a garbage truck.
But the scene was done different enough not to be identical to the scene in "Blood and Wine".

What pushed the episode up a notch was the last ten minutes. Before that I thought it was a good to very good episode, but I loved how McCall and co. trapped the culprit. Although in hindsight, part of the plan was very risky
[Show spoiler](when McCall's client sort-of fell backwards off the edge of the building. It didn't look very wide, the net used by Kostmayer and the funfair performer. One small misstep and she would have been dead (instead of the culprit being made to think that it was her on the ground).
And as I suffer with vertigo, in hindsight it was a difficult bit to watch, when McCall's client was teetering on the edge of the building's roof.

At times it can be hard to hear what someone is saying. I couldn't tell in the very last scene if McCall was telling the woman at the bar the same story he was telling Kostmayer along the riverside towards the beginning of the episode (which Kostmayer recognised as an anecdote about The Twilight Zone). There was a jazz-sounding song being played in the background in the same scene (called Chasing Rainbows?).
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (07-03-2021), cutback73 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 12:08 AM   #124

Jan 2020
USA

Gonna revisit this series over the 3 day weekend.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:51 PM   #125
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default Season three episode "Encounter in a Closed Room"

Watched this past weekend, three episodes from the third season, beginning with "Encounter in a Closed Room". While I didn't think it was a classic, it wasn't a disappointing episode either. I just found it a strange, odd episode (it was about (I think) a Soviet scientist who wanted to defect to the West).

Among the guest stars were Michael Moriarty (three years away from the original Law & Order starting in the States, although the pilot was filmed the year after this episode of The Equalizer was filmed) and Jamey Sheridan (just under fifteen years before Law & Order: Criminal Intent started in the States).

Debuting in this episode was a new, shorter version of the title sequence (around thirty seconds long). After this episode, the shorter title sequence would appear in alternate episodes (although the two-parter "Mission: McCall" was an exception to that rule). And for the first time since early on the second season, this episode began with a teaser.

The first time I saw this episode, I didn't know what to make of it. And having re-watched it, I still can't make up my mind. I don't know if this was the last of the five episodes (technically four) filmed before the very short-lived strike (and Edward Woodward's heart attack), but the big changes to come were in my mind.

I thought the ending was very good though. That was one of the high points.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (07-18-2021), cutback73 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 10:59 PM   #126
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default Season three two-parter "Mission: McCall" and episode "Shadow Play" (1 of 2)

First of all, I'm going to comment on the transfer of the two-parter "Mission: McCall", which I've watched in the past fortnight. To me, it looked 'zoomed-in', which was a bit distracting through the majority of the time.

Secondly, the way new character Harley Gage was written, he came across as goofy and like he was the object of ridicule (like jokes were being made at his expense (a good example being the end of the concluding part). Having seen the episode "Shadow Play" this past weekend (the episode which is straight after "Mission: McCall"), it's the complete opposite with Gage (like he is on the same level as McCall, Control and Kostmayer). In the back of my mind, I couldn't remember exactly how the character was written in "Mission: McCall", but I knew that in the subsequent episodes, things were more grounded. And in addition to that, Gage learns McCall's role and responsibility of being the Equalizer and the experiences of helping his clients who answer the newspaper ad.

The one thing I'd forgotten about, but which I'm liking, as it adds an additional layer to the show at this time, is Gage's unpredictability, while at the same time he is seen as being reliable and someone you want to have on your side.

I couldn't make my mind up whether I liked the two-parter "Mission: McCall". I don't think the casting of veteran actor Robert Mitchum as Dyson worked completely, compared to the casting of Telly Savalas in the feature-length "Blood and Wine". The first part I thought was better written.

There's one thing about it, never underestimate Control (referring to the scenes where
[Show spoiler]he was held captive by Kostmayer and Scott, and when Gage is having the conversation with Control outside the hearings in "Shadow Play".
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #127
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

The Equalizer revival series starts on Sky Witness (in the UK) next Tuesday night. I'll give it a chance and watch the first few episodes to see what it's like.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:56 PM   #128
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
The Equalizer revival series starts on Sky Witness (in the UK) next Tuesday night. I'll give it a chance and watch the first few episodes to see what it's like.
Following on from the above, quoted post, have watched the first two episodes of the revival series, and have decided I''m not watching it any further. I was going to give it a chance and watch three or four episodes, but after seeing the first two I'd had enough of it. I stayed with the Hawaii Five-0 and Magnum P.I. revivals, but the Equalizer revival I just didn't like what they were doing. It just felt like some of the modern-day cop/detective action drama series, but with the Equalizer name attached to it.

One of the things which really irritated me was when a fight scene started and they would start playing loud music (which wasn't my type of music). Some of the music today I can get used to, but the music tracks combined with the fast editing (where you can't tell what is going on) just irritated me. Some of the dialogue as well was terrible, and while I tried to like Queen Latifah, the smug look on her face at times I just didn't like.

And regarding Chris Noth, who I've liked in the original Law & Order and it's Criminal Intent spin-off, as well as the short-lived series Gone, I'm surprised he signed up to star in this series. He seemed to be playing a similar character to the one Robert Lansing played in the original series (McCall's closest colleague and friend), but with nowhere near as much depth.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:52 PM   #129

Aug 2020

This series looks interesting. I don't know how I missed it back in the 80s. As best I can tell, the only streaming option (USA) is NBC Peacock. The VEI DVDs (from what I've read in this thread) are not too good for the 2nd season and up - and don't have closed captions/subtitles which I like. I notice there is a UK set (Fabulous Films) which of course is region 2 (but I could get around that) - does anyone know if this set includes closed captions/subtitles, and is the video quality good for all four seasons?

I have used Peacock for Seaquest DSV but the commercials are too frequent and annoying. I might try a few episodes first there to see if I like it (I think I will). Argh - just noticed that season 1 isn't available on Peacock - strange - so that's out.

Thanks!

Last edited by 84lion; 04-30-2022 at 12:02 AM. Reason: new info
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 09:31 PM   #130
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84lion View Post
This series looks interesting. I don't know how I missed it back in the 80s. As best I can tell, the only streaming option (USA) is NBC Peacock. The VEI DVDs (from what I've read in this thread) are not too good for the 2nd season and up - and don't have closed captions/subtitles which I like. I notice there is a UK set (Fabulous Films) which of course is region 2 (but I could get around that) - does anyone know if this set includes closed captions/subtitles, and is the video quality good for all four seasons?

I have used Peacock for Seaquest DSV but the commercials are too frequent and annoying. I might try a few episodes first there to see if I like it (I think I will). Argh - just noticed that season 1 isn't available on Peacock - strange - so that's out.

Thanks!
Apologies for not replying sooner. I can't speak about whether there are closed captions/subtitles on Universal's UK DVD release of the first season and Fabulous Films UK's DVD release of the remaining three seasons (if I recall, Fabulous Films UK re-released the first season when they released a Complete Series DVD set).

On my re-watch of the series so far, they look like existing masters (ie. some episodes look better than others, but as a whole the first season has looked the best, but the second and third seasons have looked decent). I don't think any remastering has been done, but the music appears to be intact.

Am nearly a third through the third season on my re-watch, but from what I can remember from when I first watched the original The Equalizer on DVD, the fourth season had some episodes which had a slightly green look to them, but nothing which took away from the quality of the show.

I hope this has been of some help.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 07:33 AM   #131
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
San Antonio TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84lion View Post
I notice there is a UK set (Fabulous Films) which of course is region 2 (but I could get around that) - does anyone know if this set includes closed captions/subtitles, and is the video quality good for all four seasons?
I have the Fabulous Films UK set. No subtitles/CC.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (05-18-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies