Best PS5 Games Deals

Best PS5 Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Grand Theft Auto V (PS5)
$19.99

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (PS5)
$39.99

Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin (PS5)
$44.99

Elden Ring (PS5)
$49.94

Sniper: Ghost Warrior - Contracts 2 (PS5)
$19.99
1 day ago
Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach (PS5)
$33.03
17 hrs ago
Madden NFL 22 (PS5)
$24.99

WWE 2K22 (PS5)
$54.99

Doki Doki Literature Club Plus! (PS5)
$19.99
1 day ago
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (PS5)
$59.65

The King of Fighters XV (PS5)
$49.99

Just Dance 2021 (PS5)
$14.30
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

Old 04-28-2022, 12:14 AM   #1
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Default Games that do & do not support VRR

Decided to create this thread to discuss VRR on PS5 to avoid cluttering the System thread.

There are a bunch of games that are supported via Game Patch. These take full advantage of VRR.

Then there are those without Game Patched VRR support which can use VRR if you toggle the PS5 Setting to force VRR on PS5 Games.

Finally there are PS5 games that outright do not support VRR. These games will boot up with VRR disabled regardless of System Settings.

*Note - So far 0 PS4 games support VRR. Itís possible some games like Apex, Call of Duty Warzone, Rocket League may get a future patch due to popularity.

So with that out of the way, we can clarify what games do or do not support VRR & also find games that work with VRR without Game Patches.

Feel free to add/suggest games as well as discuss your findings.

óóóó

Fully Supported VRR Games,

Ratchet & Clank
Spider-Man Miles Morales
Spider-Man Remastered

Non-Patched VRR Games,

Death Stranding
Far Cry 6
Ghost of Tsushima
Grand Theft Auto V
LEGO Star Wars: Skywalker Saga
Returnal

Games with 0 VRR support,

Horizon Forbidden West
Gran Tursimo 7

Will edit this list as more titles are tested.

Last edited by Derb; 05-17-2022 at 03:11 PM.
Thanks given by:
Vincanws (05-07-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 12:36 AM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Testing these out on an LG C1 for context.

Figured Iíd share some findings regarding Spider-Man Miles. I think thatíll be one of the more popular titles people try out.

The game has 3 modes & each results in different performance metrics. From what I gathered, the higher the resolution, the lower your average FPS count will be.

Fidelity Mode targets 2160p & averages 38-42fps
Performance Mode targets 1800p & averages 55-63fps
Performance RT targets 1440p & averages 67-74fps

Kinda a shame to see Performance Mode dip into the mid & sometimes low 50ís.

Ratchet & Clank..

I only tested Performance Mode so far.

Game targets 1800p & averages 88-102fps
Old 04-28-2022, 01:42 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2013
Missouri

Anyone try out nioh collection? I really wanna know if VRR made these better since both could do 120fpps.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:48 AM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2011
USA

Interesting.

VRR I had to look up again.

Variable Refresh Rate or VRR, can help reduce screen tearing if the game software doesn't solve that issue apparently.
Quote:
On displays with a fixed refresh rate, a frame can only be shown on the screen at specific intervals, evenly spaced apart. If a new frame is not ready when that interval arrives, then the old frame is held on screen until the next interval (stutter) or a mixture of the old frame and the completed part of the new frame is shown (tearing). Conversely, if the frame is ready before the interval arrives, then it won't be shown until that interval arrives. A major purpose of variable refresh rates is the elimination of stutters and tearing by keeping refresh rates in sync with a varying frame rate from a video game. This makes display motion more smooth despite a varying frame rate.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:44 PM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

PlayStation Blog Edited their PS Blog page regarding VRR.

Specifically, they took out the VRR range. (40hz-120hz)
(Edit - VRR on PS5 System Settings under Screen & Video shows 48hz-120hz)

The reason is because PS5 apparently does not include LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) in the HDMI forum VRR spec.

What LFC does is double the Framerate anytime the game falls below the VRR range. Essentially tricking your TV into thinking it is within the VRR range.

Geez. Sony!

Ya couldn’t just pay the license fee for AMD & basically have 0 issues huh?

Only a System Software Update can fix this.

Last edited by Derb; 05-01-2022 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:28 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015

Deathloop got a patch.

https://twitter.com/deathloop/status...76003157155840
Thanks given by:
Derb (04-29-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 03:22 AM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Since Sony wonít support VRR on a System Level, Iím not gonna bother to update this thread.

Feel free to post older & newer games that have been patched.
Old 05-04-2022, 02:06 AM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Since Sony wonít support VRR on a System Level, Iím not gonna bother to update this thread.

Feel free to post older & newer games that have been patched.
Digital Foundry mention VRR today.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:12 AM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Sadly DF thinks VRR on PS5 is on a “System Level” when in fact it is not. The software dictates wether VRR is applied to the signal or not. It’s like pausing your favourite game or movie & turning on/off HDR. There is a signal change on the TV as you do this. When VRR kicks in, it only kicks in when it detects a supported game. The toggle that can be used to force VRR actually doesn’t do anything. Having this Setting on & loading up either Horizon or GT7 will tell the PS5 to boot up these games in FRL or fixed rate link. There isn’t any Native System Level VRR on PS5.

Also if you are an IGN fan. I got good news as they tested Spider-Man & apparently proved to me they know absolutely nothing. They tested Performance RT & Fidelity Mode. They did not test Performance Mode yet they claim Performance Mode in VRR would have a higher Framerate than Performance RT.
So more mis-information. As you can you clearly see in my 2nd post, Spider-Man struggles the most in Performance Mode because it is rendering a higher Native Resolution.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 02:01 PM   #10
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Sadly DF thinks VRR on PS5 is on a “System Level” when in fact it is not. The software dictates wether VRR is applied to the signal or not. It’s like pausing your favourite game or movie & turning on/off HDR. There is a signal change on the TV as you do this. When VRR kicks in, it only kicks in when it detects a supported game. The toggle that can be used to force VRR actually doesn’t do anything. Having this Setting on & loading up either Horizon or GT7 will tell the PS5 to boot up these games in FRL or fixed rate link. There isn’t any Native System Level VRR on PS5.

Also if you are an IGN fan. I got good news as they tested Spider-Man & apparently proved to me they know absolutely nothing. They tested Performance RT & Fidelity Mode. They did not test Performance Mode yet they claim Performance Mode in VRR would have a higher Framerate than Performance RT.
So more mis-information. As you can you clearly see in my 2nd post, Spider-Man struggles the most in Performance Mode because it is rendering a higher Native Resolution.
Thanks for the feedback on your experience with VRR. I don't know enough about it, but that's unfortunate if they're reporting inaccurate info since they should be experts in their field. Though that probably happens a lot in the world.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:47 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015

Of course you can not update if you want to, but I don't see what being on a system level matters. If it's on a game by game basis whether you get VRR or not, well isn't it useful to have a list of which games give you VRR? I thought that's what you were doing in this thread.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:02 AM   #12
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
Of course you can not update if you want to, but I don't see what being on a system level matters. If it's on a game by game basis whether you get VRR or not, well isn't it useful to have a list of which games give you VRR? I thought that's what you were doing in this thread.
Updated. As well as clarification to Non-Patched VRR Games.

Added Death Stranding. Game can now run smooth at an average of 58fps in Native 4K full screen mode. Cutscenes typically do not drop below 54fps.
Tested the mirror that DF likes to show off & yes even with VRR, the FPS drops to 48fps for a split second. So all around good news for fans of this game.

What Iíve found though is that if you do not have an OLED, but have a capable LCD you have to make a choice. HDR or VRR?
Old 05-13-2022, 04:32 AM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-

Finally got around to messing with this tonight by plugging my PS5 directly to my tv since my receiver is limited to 4K60 and no VRR passthrough. Used it to test the work of the wizards at Insomniac on Spider-Man and Ratchet and Clank. Swinging around the city I was getting mostly 80-105FPS on Spidey and running around in Ratchet the same general range.

I can honestly say that I cannot see a difference at all in frame rates north of 60. Also tried out the 40FPS modes and while it definitely is an improvement over 30 I kind of expected it to be a little smoother from the hype it got around the interwebs when launched.
Thanks given by:
Derb (05-13-2022), Steelmaker (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 06:14 AM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Finally got around to messing with this tonight by plugging my PS5 directly to my tv since my receiver is limited to 4K60 and no VRR passthrough. Used it to test the work of the wizards at Insomniac on Spider-Man and Ratchet and Clank. Swinging around the city I was getting mostly 80-105FPS on Spidey and running around in Ratchet the same general range.

I can honestly say that I cannot see a difference at all in frame rates north of 60. Also tried out the 40FPS modes and while it definitely is an improvement over 30 I kind of expected it to be a little smoother from the hype it got around the interwebs when launched.
Those patched insomniac games work good with VRR. Only downside really is if your display can do local dimming for HDR at the same time. Samsung has been working harder at this than Sony with regards to VRR LCD.

I do notice a higher Framerate than 60fps with VRR.

What I most notice is next to 0 input lag.
Smoother panning with 0 loss in picture quality.

Last game I tried unsupported btw was Death Stranding.

That game is now ďplayableĒ with VRR in Native 4K/60 Mode. The game never hits 60fps but now I never notice any obvious dips in Framerate at 52-58hz
Thanks given by:
Diesel (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 11:02 AM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:

You would if you played at 120fps for a long period of time and then went back to 60fps. Trust me, you'd notice it.

I agree with you regarding 40fps. Definitely better than 30fps but still not enough of an improvement to choose it over performance mode.

I still think the "sweet spot" for this gen is 1400p/60fps/RT. I would take this all day long as a standard. If devs can get the resolution higher and still maintain 60fps with RT, so be it. But 1400p looks great on my TV.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:51 AM   #16
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
You would if you played at 120fps for a long period of time and then went back to 60fps. Trust me, you'd notice it.

I agree with you regarding 40fps. Definitely better than 30fps but still not enough of an improvement to choose it over performance mode.

I still think the "sweet spot" for this gen is 1400p/60fps/RT. I would take this all day long as a standard. If devs can get the resolution higher and still maintain 60fps with RT, so be it. But 1400p looks great on my TV.
I may give it another go for longer once I upgrade to my new tv towards the end of the year/early next year depending on when my move is complete and see if it clicks.

1440p/60 is perfectly fine with me as well. Some of the upscaling techniques work pretty well and sometimes they don’t but I’d be happy if they stuck with whatever native resolution it takes to lock 60FPS with all or near all the graphical bells and whistles.

Last edited by Diesel; 05-14-2022 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-14-2022, 11:07 AM   #17
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
I may give it another go for longer once I upgrade to my new tv towards the end of the year/early next year depending on when my move is complete and see if it clicks.

1440p/60 is perfectly fine with me as well. Some of the upscaling techniques work pretty well and sometimes they donít but Iíd be happy if they stuck with every resolution it takes to lock 60FPS with all or near all the graphical bells and whistles.
Well whatever technique Insomniac is using for their Performance + RT mode, they need to share it with other Sony devs because its glorious. It looks fantastic and with VRR enabled, the framerate hovers between 90 and 100fps.
Thanks given by:
Diesel (05-14-2022), heyadol (Today)
Old 05-15-2022, 08:11 AM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Well whatever technique Insomniac is using for their Performance + RT mode, they need to share it with other Sony devs because its glorious. It looks fantastic and with VRR enabled, the framerate hovers between 90 and 100fps.
True.

The Framerate is actually higher in Performance RT than vanilla Performance Mode.

So kinda sucks for me. I get averages of 58-70.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5