Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
NCIS: The Sixteenth Season (DVD)
$34.99
4 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (DVD)
$17.99

NCIS: New Orleans: The Fifth Season (DVD)
$32.73

Hardcastle and McCormick: The Complete Series (DVD)
$32.17

The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air: The Complete Series (DVD)
$51.27

Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends: The Complete Series (DVD)
$32.17

Descendants / Descendants 2 (DVD)
$8.90

The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (DVD)
$34.53

The Bionic Woman: The Complete Series (DVD)
$21.27

Men in Black: International (DVD)
$19.99

The A-Team: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$39.23

Saved by the Bell: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$28.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 06-12-2019, 03:19 AM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

1) They cost pennies to produce. If I were to buy blank DVDs, it costs me about 40-cents (CDN) each and that's for a brand name with inkjet printable tops. The slipcovers and inserts are likely also pennies each since they can afford to give them away for free with even bootleg movies.
2) The way the industry is moving, even bootleggers are moving from physical media, so they likely don't want the stock or inventory back. Even seven years ago, when I visited China looking for DVDs and Blu-rays, my local colleagues were raising an eyebrow at me saying that no one buys discs anymore.
At the time, everything was moving digital. You bring a SSD drive or HDD and give the bootleggers a list of all the movies you want. You are charged 1 Chinese yuan per GIG OF DATA.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #22

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
1) They cost pennies to produce. If I were to buy blank DVDs, it costs me about 40-cents (CDN) each and that's for a brand name with inkjet printable tops. The slipcovers and inserts are likely also pennies each since they can afford to give them away for free with even bootleg movies.
2) The way the industry is moving, even bootleggers are moving from physical media, so they likely don't want the stock or inventory back. Even seven years ago, when I visited China looking for DVDs and Blu-rays, my local colleagues were raising an eyebrow at me saying that no one buys discs anymore.
At the time, everything was moving digital. You bring a SSD drive or HDD and give the bootleggers a list of all the movies you want. You are charged 1 Chinese yuan per GIG OF DATA.
Agreed. In the past when I bought older sports games, a few weeks later I'd get a package in the mail with a bunch of replicated DVD's. However, my latest purchases are all being delivery via the cloud for easy download. It's great. I realize many have downloaded from torrent sites for years. However, I much prefer downloading from personal cloud space, which is very cheap to maintain these days.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #23

Jun 2018
SW-Central IN

Dark Shadows Coffin sets - the only safe assumption for these sets from Ebay are that they are pirated --- even the Numbered sets have been pirated. I have also heard that Amazon used sets being fakes as well.

Two years ago I bought from ebay Game of Thrones seasons 1-6 (dvd) and they were obvious fakes - burned dvds, smeared disc art, box art slightly off - I had to fight the Seller throughout the ebay process to return the blasted things.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:03 AM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country

About 90% of Disney discs on ebay are fake. Lion King Platinum is a good example, they fake it slipcover and all; and it's really hard to tell apart from the real one. The original has a gatefold and the barcode is covered (from what I remember, I'm not getting up to check mine). The fake is the opposite, no gatefold and a cutout barcode. One is also shiny and the other is matte. I remember another thread where this was pointed out. Really the only way to be sure anymore is to have a DMR slip.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #25

May 2019
Georgetown, TX

I often see examples of anime bootlegs at Half Price Books.
Usually they have Chinese lettering on the back, have kinda obvious inferior packaging, and are usually region free.
In the past I would try to alert a worker at the store in question, but it was often a moot point cause less than a week later, it was back on the shelf.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

May 2016
Point Loma, San Diego

Bootleg, or counterfeit? There's a difference.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #27

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers73 View Post
Bootleg, or counterfeit? There's a difference.
You are right. What I've been primarily referencing found on ebay and Amazon marketplace are counterfeits, not bootlegs. Good catch.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:57 AM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post
You are right. What I've been primarily referencing found on ebay and Amazon marketplace are counterfeits, not bootlegs. Good catch.
Yup, this is a counterfeit:

and this is a bootleg:

Moo...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Tags
bootlegs, dvds, ebay