Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ultra Q: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04
2 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Who Saw Her Die? (Blu-ray)
$26.42
6 hrs ago
Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 06-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #1

Mar 2009
Daytona Beach, Fl
Default Sharp BD-HP22U Thread

Has anyone got this player yet, and had a chance to use it? It has only been out since May. MSRP on the HP22 is 299, but I,ve seen on the web as low as 219 already. HHGregg has it for 225 now. I almost bought one,but I can't find out much about it yet, too new I guess.
I have a Sharp BD-HP20U now. I am thinking about trying to peddle it at the pawn shop and get a new one. The Hp 20 decodes Dolby True, but not DTS MA, and it does not bitstream. When it works, the HP20 is absolutely beautiful, but it freezes erraticaly on both regular DVD's and Blu-Rays. The newest firmware did not help. I am not sure yet if the HP22 (or any other Sharp) is a good replacement. It appears that every one of this players seems to have it's own problems.

What I want is a player that:
plays the disc
Decodes Dolby True HD
Decodes DTS MA
Bitstreams Dolby True
Bitstreams DTS MA
PLAY THE DISC!

What I DON'T WANT the player to do:
Connect to the internet
Download music
Download ringtones
Play solitaire
brush my teeth
trim my hedge
flush my toilet
etc,etc,etc

Does such a player even exist?
Any Ideas?

Thanks
HERB

Last edited by crackinhedz; 12-02-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #2

Jul 2009
Thumbs up Sharp BDHP22u

I received this player as a gift about a month ago. I have been very satisfied so far with the performance. It has played every disc so far from the standard DVD to HD with no compatibility issues. Heavily scratched DVD's can be a problem.

In answer to your question on Playback:

Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS, DTS HD High Resolution, DTS HD Master Audio, DTS Master Audio Essential.

This player does have the BD Live option for internet connectivity, but is not required for playback. It does come with a USB Port for future updates as they become available.

Load times are very quick and with and Aquos TV, (I have the LC52D85U Model) it automatically links to the TV and switches to the correct input. It also switches the view mode to Dot by Dot for optimum picture.

I can feel comfortable recommending this player as it does have the newere 2.0 Profile and seems to perform very well with no playback issues.

Good luck whatever player you decide on.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #3

Mar 2009
Daytona Beach, Fl
Default Sharp BD- HP22U

Hi again,
Will this player send DD true HD and DTS MA in bitstream to my receiver?
HERB
Old 08-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #4

Jul 2009
USA Sharp BDHP22U

Hello:

According To the Instruction Manual

Dolby True HD: 7.1 Ch Via HDMI: PCM 7.1 and Bit Stream 7.1. (When Secondary Audio is set to on the Audio is ouput as 48kHZ (PCM) and output as PCM in Bitstream.

Digital Out: Dolby True HD: is 2 channel down mixed. and 5.1 ch in Bit stream and can be down miced or at as above at 48kHz.

5.1 ch via HDMI: Same as 7.1 in both PCM and Bitstream.

Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 Ch via HDMI: As above with True HD and the same with Digital Out.

DTS Master Audio:

7.1 via HDMI and Digital Out same as Dolby True HD

5.1 via HDMI: (192 kHz) When secondary audio is set to on the audio is output to 48kHz. When 5.1 ch (192 kHz) the audio ouput is downsampled to 96kHz.

5.1 in Digital out. PCM 2 ch and 5.1 in Bit Stream.

I believe your receiver's ouput capabilities will determine playback mode. For example my receiver is a 5.1 Digital and DTS and True 7.1 is downsized to the 5.1 format. Sound quality is excellent still!

I have experienced no problems to date with playback of my BDHP 22U. No updates needed thus far and as mentioned it is the newer profile player 2.0.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I will try and check back more often.

Also here is an excellent site for callibration for your Sharp 64 series. Scroll to tiger Dave Post. I have used these settings for my 85U series and the picture is excellent. I receive many compliments to the overall quality.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post11852269

Neil

Last edited by Image2i; 08-01-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #5

Mar 2009
Daytona Beach, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Image2i View Post
Hello:

According To the Instruction Manual

Dolby True HD: 7.1 Ch Via HDMI: PCM 7.1 and Bit Stream 7.1. (When Secondary Audio is set to on the Audio is ouput as 48kHZ (PCM) and output as PCM in Bitstream.

Digital Out: Dolby True HD: is 2 channel down mixed. and 5.1 ch in Bit stream and can be down miced or at as above at 48kHz.

5.1 ch via HDMI: Same as 7.1 in both PCM and Bitstream.

Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 Ch via HDMI: As above with True HD and the same with Digital Out.

DTS Master Audio:

7.1 via HDMI and Digital Out same as Dolby True HD

5.1 via HDMI: (192 kHz) When secondary audio is set to on the audio is output to 48kHz. When 5.1 ch (192 kHz) the audio ouput is downsampled to 96kHz.

5.1 in Digital out. PCM 2 ch and 5.1 in Bit Stream.

I believe your receiver's ouput capabilities will determine playback mode. For example my receiver is a 5.1 Digital and DTS and True 7.1 is downsized to the 5.1 format. Sound quality is excellent still!

I have experienced no problems to date with playback of my BDHP 22U. No updates needed thus far and as mentioned it is the newer profile player 2.0.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I will try and check back more often.

Also here is an excellent site for callibration for your Sharp 64 series. Scroll to tiger Dave Post. I have used these settings for my 85U series and the picture is excellent. I receive many compliments to the overall quality.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post11852269

Neil
Thank You very much for your reply!
You have given me more info in this one reply than I have been able to find anywhere else about this player. THANKS!
All I want to do is watch the movie, (reliably and without freezes), and MAYBE, a few extras on the disc. I don't really care about BD Live. I believe that some of the problems are caused by the Java code used in the programing for BD Live. Over time, as thousands of movies are produced, I don't see them being able to keep all the interactive stuff up to date anyway.

Thanks again. I think that this player might be a good replacement for the HP20. I hope we can keep this thread going for awhile, long enough to figure out the settings and problems anyhow.
HERB
Old 08-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #6

Jul 2009
Thumbs up Sharp BDHP22U

Hello:

Glad to offer whatever help I can. If you decide to go with the 22U series, try Amazon. I have found some very good pricing at the site on electronics with the Sharp Blu Ray Player among them.

Before ordering, you may want to see if the Aquos Link will work with your model TV. I have read where some said there was an issue with this. On mine, I find once set up properly between the DVD Player and TV, that this was not an issue for me. I do have it set to input 5 and it seems to work just fine. You can call Sharp direct on this and they can verify this for you. Also, settings on the DVD player can make a difference as well so take the time to go through the manual for setup. For example, the Aquos Link when set to yes will connect to the TV in Pure Mode with the images automatically adjusted to the proper image level.

I am hopeful that you have the same experience that I have had thus far with this player.

Neil
Old 08-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #7

Mar 2009
Daytona Beach, Fl

Hi,
This player is available here locally at HH Gregg. Last week anyway, it was advertised for $199.
My main concern was whether or not it bitstreams for decoding in the receiver. The Aquos advantage thing is less important to me. As I recall, it worked fine WHEN I had the player connected DIRECTLY to the TV via HDMI. NOW, I have the player connected through the receiver and I'm not sure if the Aquos Advantage function will work when connected this way. At any rate, I have it turned off in this configuration.

Herb
Old 08-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #8

Jul 2009
USA Sharp Aquos BDHP22U

Hello:

That is a very good buy. Amazon has it for $219 delivered. I am sure once you factor in sales tax it will be close to that. Still a very good deal. I think you will find this newer generation from Sharp a very good all around player. It is more streamlined than the 20U series and the 21U series a relative of mine owns. Half the size and weight. The Aquos Link is not necessary for playback, just convenient. I have a Bose Lifestyle V30 series and I originally had it hooked in through the media center, but I wanted to take advantage of the 1.3 HDMI with deep color and I hooked directly into Sharp Aquos myself. I run my Dish through the receiver. Picture and sound quality is fabulous with the Blu Ray Player as well as Dish as the HD Channels are broadcast in 5.1 Dolby Digital. Ball games come to life in that format. I think you will find some nice enhancements in the newere model Sharp.

Neil
Old 09-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #9

Mar 2009
Daytona Beach, Fl
Smile Bd Hp22u

Hi All,
Well,,,,I bought one from HH Gregg for $169 on Aug 24. So far, it works fine!
The main thing I wanted was the choice to send either PCM, or bitstream to my Yamaha 863 in both DD and DTS.
So far, so good. We'll see what happens.
Thanks to all who replied.
HERB
Old 09-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #10

Jul 2009

Hello Herb:

Congratulations on your recent purchase of the Sharp BDHP22U. I do not think you will be dissappointed in your choice. So far I have had mine over 3 months and no issues. By the way, you have one nice sounding home theatre set up. I hope you enjoy for many years to come.

My system:

Sharp LC52D85U
Sharp BDHP22U
Dish VIP 722 HD Receiver
Bose V30 Lifestyle Home Theatre System
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Last edited by Image2i; 09-07-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #11

Oct 2009
SAN JOSE CA

I own a BD-HP20U (Profile 1.0) and I have been so disappointed with it I am considering buying the 22U.
My main BD-HP20U reproaches are (compared to normal DVD player):
- too slow to turn on
- too slow to get to the main feature
- too many freezes with normal DVDs as well as Blue Ray DVDs
- bad up-conversion of normal DVDs (my regular Pioneer DVD player do way better)
All this despite a brand new updated firmware.

Somebody says here it is fast.
First, compare to what ?
Second, what is fast ? turning on the player ? getting to the main feature ?
I understood from other review the 22U can be faster provided some sacrifices with the consumption.
Basically the power consumption is 23W when playing but still 15W in the fast start mode.

What about the freezing situation ? Is it really solved ?

Also, and as much importantly to me, what about the up-conversion quality ?
I have hard time finding some information about the up-conversion quality of the 22U when playing normal DVDs.

Can somebody give his opinion ?

Of course, since I have a Sharp TV, I am incline to buy Sharp player.
But it is not necessarily a requirement.
I would prefer having a very good player and 2 remotes instead of only 1 remote and a player that is getting on my nerves.
That is why I would deeply appreciate comparisons with other brands.

Thanx.

Last edited by revetwelch; 10-08-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #12

Oct 2009
Default Dont Buy the Sharp HP22u

I bought the Sharp HP22u in May 2009. It worked great for about 3 weeks. Then blu rays started to not plaly and I got an invalid disc message. I tried putting a DVD in and then puting the Blu Ray in because of a thread I read on a message board. It actually worked some of the times the Blu Rays wouldnt play. Other times i would just waste an hour trying to get a disc to play. I have sent the unit in twice now and have spent hours on the phone with Sharp. They are telling me that there is nothing wrong with the unit. I tell them that the problem is intermitant and sometimes the player will work for a couple weeks then it starts acting up again. They refuse to send me another player or change out any pieces. So I guess it will be a nice $300 target for shooting practice now! Stay away from this unit and Sharp all together, cause if you have a problem you wont get it fixed!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #13

Sep 2009

I'm going through my own battle with the HP22U. I have had the player I purchased back to Sharp twice, both times the tech told me that there was nothing wrong with the player, and that the problem was with my television. I ended up talking with a different tech over the phone, and he said if I received problem-free (the problem with my HP22U is related to a "ripple" distortion effect) 1080P content from my xbox, then the problem is not related to the television, but to the player.

In any case, they finally told me that since I am an "Aquos Advantage" member, that I get free replacement. I'm suppose to be receiving a new replacement this week.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #14

Oct 2009
SAN JOSE CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post
In any case, they finally told me that since I am an "Aquos Advantage" member, that I get free replacement. I'm suppose to be receiving a new replacement this week.
Thanx for keeping this BD-HP22U thread alive.
Please, post back your feedback when you receive and test your replacement.
BTW, beside your "ripple" problem, what is your experience with this player regarding the concerns I described above ?

Last edited by revetwelch; 10-12-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #15

Oct 2009
SAN JOSE CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSE Home View Post
Stay away from this unit
Beside that, what do you recommend ?
What Blue-Ray player works well for you and why ?
Have you experience these long time loadings and playing ? these freezes ? these very bad regular DVDs up-conversion with other players ?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #16

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by revetwelch View Post
Thanx for keeping this BD-HP22U thread alive.
Please, post back your feedback when you receive and test your replacement.
BTW, beside your "ripple" problem, what is your experience with this player regarding the concerns I described above ?
I had (have) my own thread on my experiences that...well...noone responded to (no biggie).

The best way to describe the "ripple" distortion is to imagine dropping a stone into still water, and watching the ensuing waves. That is what I was seeing on the screen. These ripples would appear on the screen roughly twice a second. You could see these ripples far easier with bright scenes from a film, versus darker ones.

Last edited by bo130; 10-12-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #17

Jul 2009
Thumbs up Sharp BDHP 22U

I can only speak to my experiences so far. I have had the Sharp BBHP 22U since May and to date have had no issues with playback. You can set a quick start feature which will bypass the previews and get you to the menu start within about 20 or 30 seconds. From what I have read on line that is pretty quick compared to most other players out there. Additionally, this player has the 2.0 Profile which seems to have resolved many of the issues of earlier models. Is this a Sony, I can't answer that. What I can say is that this player links perfectly with my Aquos 52D85U TV and automatically switches to the input I have it set at (#5) and places it on the DOT to Dot setting. I have had no freezes at all.

As to DVD upconvert, picture quality to my eye seems enhanced. Older DVD's can appear a bit grainy, but newer releases look very good. Audio playback is very good ranging from Dolby Digital to DTS, True HD, and 7.1 and Dolby Digital Plus.

This player lacks some feature sets such such as memory playback. If you shut down the player, it will set back to the beginning of the DVD. It's a bit picky, but most DVD players had this feature in the past. You can book mark with Blu Ray, but that does not appear to be the case with standard DVD's.

The 22U does feature BD Live and is equipped with a 2 Gig USB Memory stick for additoinal BD Live Data Storage. For BD Video that includes secondary audio and video compatible with PIP can be played back with audio and video simultaneously in the corner of the screen.

For the money this is a decent value player coming in at around $170 which is about $50 to $100 less than most other players on the market.

Can I recommend this player? Yes, but as I said earlier this is based on my experiences thus far. So far I have over 20 Blu Ray titles and each one has played without issue or the need for any update.

Neil

Last edited by Image2i; 10-18-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:54 AM   #18

Sep 2009

For those of you who want an update:

Local repairmen came by my place the other day to actually see the problem that I am experiencing. They noticed the problem, but what was most significant - to them - was the wait time for a blue ray disc to actually load.

For me, I've had no frame of reference to make a judgment call about a blueray player's loadtime. Apparently, the HP22U's load time with a blueray movie is significantly worse than a PS3.

O.k., so they whisked away my television, with the intention of proving or disproving that it really is the television's fault.

Here's what I know:

The technicians at Sharp USA in Illinois said that they were unable to see the problem with the blue player that I had sent in. I doubt it was the same television model they had that I have in my house, anyway...

The same exact model of blueray player, shipped from the factory - but brand new - did the exact same problem on the same television in my house (that was just sent in).

Yet - the same television gives me problem-free content with 1080p XBox 360 output, and 1080i cable output. As a matter of fact, the only problem it gives me is with the HP22U.

So...

I am waiting to see if it is one of two things: Either that the television really is bad...

..or...

..the HP22U, is a flat out lemon, both in operational speed, and for the sheer fact that it cannot operate with a television that is of the same make - particularly with the vaunted "Aquos Link".

I'm eager to see what the results are.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:12 AM   #19
Power Member

Apr 2009
Twin Cities

Sears has this player for 129.99 I just bought one to replace my memorex from target that i returned because of faultiness
Old 12-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #20

Dec 2009

hhGregg has it for $119.00. I just bought 2 of them.

I have a question please. I also purchased a Sharp LC-52e77un televison. I am new to this "modern technology" so please bear with my question(s). The refresh rate of the television is 120Hz and it is rated at 1080p (I'm sure most of you already know all of this ). Here's my question:

The blu ray player came with an HDMI cable. The manual says it is a 19-pin standard connector (1080p 24Hz output). Does this 24 Hz output have anything to do with the 120Hz refresh rate? and if so, should I get a better HDMI CABLE?

Thanks
Mike
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders