Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
16 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97
 
Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99
 
Spaceballs 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.49
11 hrs ago
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
 
Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Greenland (Blu-ray)
$14.96
6 hrs ago
Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Ip Man: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
 
Ultraman Zero Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 03-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default DAC's what are you using

I have a new DAC inbound - its the well reviewed Gustard X16 (MQA). I didn't buy it for MQA, but if I ever wanted to experience it - I've got the necessary hardware. I like how clean the Gustard measures and the cost.
So how many out there are sporting external dacs? If you are, what are you using? Chime in!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Badas (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 12:14 AM   #2
Badas Badas is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
Badas's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)
125
36
2468
17
11
10
Default

I'm using the yaggy.

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Americo (04-09-2021), prerich (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
I'm using the yaggy.

So you like the "World's Tree"

I'm digging this Gustard x16 myself.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:41 AM   #4
Badas Badas is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
Badas's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)
125
36
2468
17
11
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
So you like the "World's Tree"

I'm digging this Gustard x16 myself.
I haven't played around with DAC's for a while. I've been satisfied.
Worlds Tree uses the r2r chipset. I wonder what other new DAC's use r2r.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #5
KcMsterpce KcMsterpce is offline
Power Member
 
KcMsterpce's Avatar
 
May 2011
Belgium
64
557
Default

yeah the Yggy is a dream.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:07 PM   #6
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
I haven't played around with DAC's for a while. I've been satisfied.
Worlds Tree uses the r2r chipset. I wonder what other new DAC's use r2r.
I'm not sure what new DACs are using R/2R instead of Delta Sigma. I know the Ares uses R/2R and some MSB stuff as well. Dacs are weird pieces of gear, as it's the implementation that distinguishes them rather than the dac/chipset itself. The Yggy, uses the AK4113, but uses the R2R (dual resistors?) implementation scheme. My dac uses the new ES9068AS Dac but in a Delta Sigma design.
The Yggdrasil is a fine piece of work indeed (I'm a fan of discrete output stages), and not cheap at $2500! In the Gustard X16, I've found possibly the cleanest DAC I've heard. I will say that it's not forgiving at all. I used to use Chris Jones - Long After You're Gone for demo material. I used the HD version that was available - but what I didn't realize...it was transcripted from vinyl. When I listened through the Gustard, not only did I get the pluck and slides on the guitar strings that I came to expect, and the deep bass when it comes in.....I also heard for the first time the needle drop and a quite a few pops from the vinyl recording. If it was there, the Gustard presented it as is.
I'm loving this piece of gear, and I recently performed PS Audio setup for holographic imaging....it works, I think Dangeruss has performed it as well. Surprisingly - I only had to move my speakers 1.5 inches forward and rake (tilt) them back. I didn't need any toe-in (and that goes along with my speakers designers recommendations), and that was all I needed.
I'm a fan of what Schiit Audio is doing - the Modi is a monster world breaker of a dac....which goes further to prove its about the implementation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:05 AM   #7
frogmeat69 frogmeat69 is offline
Expert Member
 
frogmeat69's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
Western New York, U.S.A.
9
9
1438
86
371
8
Default

Lately I have been using the Topping D90 MQA paired with the A90 amp, great stack, plays nice with all of my headphones, and works great as a pre-amp for my desktop monitors.

Still have the RME ADI-2 DAC, but need to figure out why I keep having audio drop outs with it, driving me crazy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:11 AM   #8
Badas Badas is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
Badas's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)
125
36
2468
17
11
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I'm not sure what new DACs are using R/2R instead of Delta Sigma. I know the Ares uses R/2R and some MSB stuff as well. Dacs are weird pieces of gear, as it's the implementation that distinguishes them rather than the dac/chipset itself. The Yggy, uses the AK4113, but uses the R2R (dual resistors?) implementation scheme. My dac uses the new ES9068AS Dac but in a Delta Sigma design.
The Yggdrasil is a fine piece of work indeed (I'm a fan of discrete output stages), and not cheap at $2500! In the Gustard X16, I've found possibly the cleanest DAC I've heard. I will say that it's not forgiving at all. I used to use Chris Jones - Long After You're Gone for demo material. I used the HD version that was available - but what I didn't realize...it was transcripted from vinyl. When I listened through the Gustard, not only did I get the pluck and slides on the guitar strings that I came to expect, and the deep bass when it comes in.....I also heard for the first time the needle drop and a quite a few pops from the vinyl recording. If it was there, the Gustard presented it as is.
I'm loving this piece of gear, and I recently performed PS Audio setup for holographic imaging....it works, I think Dangeruss has performed it as well. Surprisingly - I only had to move my speakers 1.5 inches forward and rake (tilt) them back. I didn't need any toe-in (and that goes along with my speakers designers recommendations), and that was all I needed.
I'm a fan of what Schiit Audio is doing - the Modi is a monster world breaker of a dac....which goes further to prove its about the implementation.
I don't understand a lot technically but I respect you do. I admire it actually.
Yggy was basically installed and it was obvious it wasn't leaving. Best thing is no desire to change so in my opinion it was a bargin.

I like it when things like that happen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:17 AM   #9
Badas Badas is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
Badas's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)
125
36
2468
17
11
10
Default

Side discussion:

Has anyone had experience of using an Apple TV loaded up with iTunes music then using it as a music server controlled by an iPhone?

I'm toying with the idea as a music server.

Hard Drive loaded with music >> Apple TV >> Yggy >> Amps and headphones.
Iphone control of Apple TV.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:02 PM.