Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
16 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Spaceballs 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.49
11 hrs ago
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Greenland (Blu-ray)
$14.96
6 hrs ago
Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ip Man: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Ultraman Zero Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 03-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #1

Dec 2007
Default DAC's what are you using

I have a new DAC inbound - its the well reviewed Gustard X16 (MQA). I didn't buy it for MQA, but if I ever wanted to experience it - I've got the necessary hardware. I like how clean the Gustard measures and the cost.
So how many out there are sporting external dacs? If you are, what are you using? Chime in!
Thanks given by:
Badas (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 12:14 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

I'm using the yaggy.

Thanks given by:
Americo (04-09-2021), prerich (04-07-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 06:03 PM   #3

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
I'm using the yaggy.

So you like the "World's Tree"

I'm digging this Gustard x16 myself.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:41 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
So you like the "World's Tree"

I'm digging this Gustard x16 myself.
I haven't played around with DAC's for a while. I've been satisfied.
Worlds Tree uses the r2r chipset. I wonder what other new DAC's use r2r.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #5
Power Member

May 2011
Belgium

yeah the Yggy is a dream.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:07 PM   #6

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
I haven't played around with DAC's for a while. I've been satisfied.
Worlds Tree uses the r2r chipset. I wonder what other new DAC's use r2r.
I'm not sure what new DACs are using R/2R instead of Delta Sigma. I know the Ares uses R/2R and some MSB stuff as well. Dacs are weird pieces of gear, as it's the implementation that distinguishes them rather than the dac/chipset itself. The Yggy, uses the AK4113, but uses the R2R (dual resistors?) implementation scheme. My dac uses the new ES9068AS Dac but in a Delta Sigma design.
The Yggdrasil is a fine piece of work indeed (I'm a fan of discrete output stages), and not cheap at $2500! In the Gustard X16, I've found possibly the cleanest DAC I've heard. I will say that it's not forgiving at all. I used to use Chris Jones - Long After You're Gone for demo material. I used the HD version that was available - but what I didn't realize...it was transcripted from vinyl. When I listened through the Gustard, not only did I get the pluck and slides on the guitar strings that I came to expect, and the deep bass when it comes in.....I also heard for the first time the needle drop and a quite a few pops from the vinyl recording. If it was there, the Gustard presented it as is.
I'm loving this piece of gear, and I recently performed PS Audio setup for holographic imaging....it works, I think Dangeruss has performed it as well. Surprisingly - I only had to move my speakers 1.5 inches forward and rake (tilt) them back. I didn't need any toe-in (and that goes along with my speakers designers recommendations), and that was all I needed.
I'm a fan of what Schiit Audio is doing - the Modi is a monster world breaker of a dac....which goes further to prove its about the implementation.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:05 AM   #7
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Western New York, U.S.A.

Lately I have been using the Topping D90 MQA paired with the A90 amp, great stack, plays nice with all of my headphones, and works great as a pre-amp for my desktop monitors.

Still have the RME ADI-2 DAC, but need to figure out why I keep having audio drop outs with it, driving me crazy.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:11 AM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I'm not sure what new DACs are using R/2R instead of Delta Sigma. I know the Ares uses R/2R and some MSB stuff as well. Dacs are weird pieces of gear, as it's the implementation that distinguishes them rather than the dac/chipset itself. The Yggy, uses the AK4113, but uses the R2R (dual resistors?) implementation scheme. My dac uses the new ES9068AS Dac but in a Delta Sigma design.
The Yggdrasil is a fine piece of work indeed (I'm a fan of discrete output stages), and not cheap at $2500! In the Gustard X16, I've found possibly the cleanest DAC I've heard. I will say that it's not forgiving at all. I used to use Chris Jones - Long After You're Gone for demo material. I used the HD version that was available - but what I didn't realize...it was transcripted from vinyl. When I listened through the Gustard, not only did I get the pluck and slides on the guitar strings that I came to expect, and the deep bass when it comes in.....I also heard for the first time the needle drop and a quite a few pops from the vinyl recording. If it was there, the Gustard presented it as is.
I'm loving this piece of gear, and I recently performed PS Audio setup for holographic imaging....it works, I think Dangeruss has performed it as well. Surprisingly - I only had to move my speakers 1.5 inches forward and rake (tilt) them back. I didn't need any toe-in (and that goes along with my speakers designers recommendations), and that was all I needed.
I'm a fan of what Schiit Audio is doing - the Modi is a monster world breaker of a dac....which goes further to prove its about the implementation.
I don't understand a lot technically but I respect you do. I admire it actually.
Yggy was basically installed and it was obvious it wasn't leaving. Best thing is no desire to change so in my opinion it was a bargin.

I like it when things like that happen.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:17 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008

Side discussion:

Has anyone had experience of using an Apple TV loaded up with iTunes music then using it as a music server controlled by an iPhone?

I'm toying with the idea as a music server.

Hard Drive loaded with music >> Apple TV >> Yggy >> Amps and headphones.
Iphone control of Apple TV.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio