Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Chicago: The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning (iTunes)
$6.99

Phil Collins: Love Songs (iTunes)
$6.99

Coldplay: X & Y (iTunes)
$4.99

Coldplay: Mylo Xyloto (iTunes)
$4.99

Black Sabbath: Greatest Hits 1970-1978 (iTunes)
$6.99

Bill Withers: Lean On Me: The Best of Bill Withers (iTunes)
$6.99

Pantera: The Best of Pantera: Far Beyond the Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits! (iTunes)
$6.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

Madonna: The Immaculate Collection (iTunes)
$6.99

The Goo Goo Dolls: Greatest Hits Volume One - The Singles (iTunes)
$6.99

Slipknot: Antennas To Hell (iTunes)
$6.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Old 09-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Expert Member

Aug 2009
Posting Unpopular Opinions
Default What do you guys think of the Audio-Technica LP60 for a starter table?

Hey guys,

I am interested in getting into vinyl on the cheap, and stumbled across the Audio-Technica LP60 for $70.

I don't have a lot of funds to put toward a table as I have other priorities (audio and otherwise) that I have to focus on.

I dug up a site that sells an upgraded version of this table for $100. It can be found here.
http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATLP60.html

So, what do you guys think?

Is this table sufficient enough to get me "spinning the black circle" either upgraded or not?

I watched several review videos of this table on youtube and it seems fairly popular there, and I didn't see owners having complaints about it...

Just for a little idea of what I have for a record collection. It's nearly all garage sale/thrift store records that have been stored improperly.

I have only been into "hi-fi" for a few years (as opposed to just getting an HTIB setup). However, it is my love of audio and music that makes getting into vinyl so appealing to me.

As stated, my budget is tight, so I am just looking for something to play my old 25 cent records on, not necessarily trying to "best" CD quality right out of the gate. I am guessing it would take a big $$$ setup to do that anyway.

To be quite honest here, I find vinyl to be a little intimidating at this point. Everything from cleaning records, prepping them for proper storage, setting up the table, adjusting tracking force, anti-skate, etc. becomes a bit mind boggling and seems to be almost "ritualistic" in the manner in which it is all done. The ritual part, I am ok with, but it seems very complicated as well. I am unsure that I could get everything set up in an optimal manner, or even worse, ruin my table, cart, or LPs. Using the LP-60 would eliminate all of that.

My line of thinking is that ANY turntable is better than NO turntable, and I would at least be able to start listening, even if it wasn't necessarily with an "optimal" setup.

Then I could take my time, do some in depth reading/saving and buy a "real" table at a later date. Then the LP-60 could become my secondary table that I can use for cleaning records, or playing LPs that I fear may damage the cart/needle on my "real" table.

Additionally, I don't have a phono pre, nor a receiver that has one built in (using Yamaha RX-V667), so that is another item I can save on (and research more) while I use the LP-60s built in stage with my receiver.

Am I not approaching this very well, or with a good train of thought?

It's the romantic notion of giving love to these great old records and thrift store finds that is really appealing to us guys looking in from the outside, so to speak.

Perhaps I am just too married to the idea of jumping in "now" instead of having to wait. I get excited about gear, and sometimes make emotional purchases, instead of logical ones.

I posed this question in a vinyl section on a (much) smaller forum and didn't really get many replies, so I figured I would ask here, as this is arguably one of the largest forums on the internet.

Thanks,

-Dave
Old 09-17-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow

if you have some old records lying around and you wanna give them a spin i say go for it
Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Try to check it out your local Craigslist or Kijiji sometimes you can get some use TT in great shape and for cheap .
Old 09-17-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

people say that an audiophile is someone who has expensive and exotic gear, and may or may not love music.

However I say that an audiophile is anyone that loves music, its the music that matters, and our passion for it that makes us an audiophile.

It seems you love music, and if that is the unit that works in your budget, and will bring you pleasure playing music. Then buy it, enjoy your music. I dont have any personal experience with it, but I know people here have AT TT's.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #5

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

I say go for it as well. It gets you into the game and should be good enough to give you a decent feel for what vinyl can potentially sound like. If, after buying this and discovering that you like the format, then do your utmost to try and get a better table, as you'll want to explore better recordings. This table isn't good enough to enjoy those pressings and you could potentially damage them as well.

Keep us posted!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I have been doing more reading, and will continue to do more before I make my final decision.

I would rather get a nicer table, but I have had an avalanche of bad financial luck as of late, and this my be the only thing I can squeeze out for quite some time.

I will keep all of you updated, but so far, this is looking like it will be my new table.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Well gang, after much debate, and deliberation I finally decided to go ahead and order the Audio Technica AT-LP60.

Sure, it's not an "audiophile" grade turntable, but I think it is at least "listenable", and the user reviews on youtube all seem very positive.

If you watch all of them, you quickly realize that these guys aren't "audiophiles" by any means, and most of them have theirs hooked up to computer speakers and things like that. Also, there seems to be a lot of confusion among them regarding line level components, and what a phono-pre is vs. what a pre-amp is.

I have never made a youtube video before, but when I get this table in my system, I am seriously tempted to make a video that explains what a phono-pre is, and that is where the RIAA EQ curve is applied, as well as brings the low output of a phono cart up to a line level output. Then continue to explain that a line level component then needs to be sent to a pre-amp, then to an amplifier, and finally, to your speakers. There is a LOT of incorrect information floating around youtube in regards to this.

There also seems to be a general consensus that direct drive 'tables are better than belt drive...perhaps if you plan on "scratching"...:

Regardless, the table seems to be a good value, and I will have a decent phono-pre with the Emotiva XSP-1 pre-amp on the way. I am sure that will help the tables performance as well. If you are not familiar with the XSP-1, please go to the Emotiva site and check it out. The phono-preamp specs look really good IMO.

No, I don't expect it to best CD at this price point. However, I have continued looking at vinyl since first creating this thread and decided that the monetary investment to get a nice table, coupled with the steep prices that vinyl demands, will keep vinyl from becoming my main playback format.

In that light, I may as well just get something that "works" to spin my collection of $1.00 thrift store and garage sale records.

Thanks again to everyone for their input and advice.

-Dave

Last edited by painted_klown; 10-17-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow

hey man congrats on getting your first turn table and thanks for the update happy spinning and enjoy
Old 09-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2012
Georgia

I bought an Audio-Technica LP60 last week just to get into the game, and I'm quite enjoying it for my purposes.

I bought some Klipsch R-41 speakers with the built-in amp to enjoy with them, along for some Isoacoustics Iso-155 isolation stands for the speakers.

I figure that I'll probably be stepping up to an even better turntable in the next year or so, but the Klipsch speakers are probably forever, although I may get a Klipsch subwoofer with them at some point. For now, though, I just wanted to give a good, but not-too-expensive turntable a go just to see how I enjoy vinyl.

Over the years, I've accrued a few vinyls of my favorite albums, mainly for decorative purposes, so the Audio-Technica purchase was just to be able to play them at long last.
Thanks given by:
PS3_Kiwi (09-05-2020), Sarahroo (09-13-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #10
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I bought an Audio-Technica LP60 last week just to get into the game, and I'm quite enjoying it for my purposes.

I bought some Klipsch R-41 speakers with the built-in amp to enjoy with them, along for some Isoacoustics Iso-155 isolation stands for the speakers.

I figure that I'll probably be stepping up to an even better turntable in the next year or so, but the Klipsch speakers are probably forever, although I may get a Klipsch subwoofer with them at some point. For now, though, I just wanted to give a good, but not-too-expensive turntable a go just to see how I enjoy vinyl.

Over the years, I've accrued a few vinyls of my favorite albums, mainly for decorative purposes, so the Audio-Technica purchase was just to be able to play them at long last.
I decided to swap out my Audio Technica LP60X entry level turntable ($100) for an Audio Technica LP120X turntable ($250), since I wanted the ability to adjust the toning arm tracking and the ability to upgrade the stylus/cartridge in the future.

The LP60X was good, but a handful of my records skipped during certain sound passages and those same records don't skip on the new setup. The first record I played on this LP120X was ABC - The Lexicon of Love, because a couple of bass-heavy tracks on the second side used to skip on my LP60X. They played perfectly through without skipping.

The process of setting up the tracking weight and cartridge alignment was pretty intimidating to my caveman intellect, but everything worked out well. (The old LP60X is fully automatic with the toning arm already set up, but the LP120X is a fully manual turntable with a better counterweight, etc.)

The improvement in audio quality is notable. The old turntable sounded pretty great, but the new one has a lot more oomph because of the better stylus.

Thanks given by:
Coolcicada (12-31-2020), quickdraw (04-27-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 04:00 PM   #11
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Cleveland, GA
Send a message via ICQ to StalkerVette Send a message via Yahoo to StalkerVette

I have an AT-LP60 and it has been a great turntable, I highly recommend it as an entry level turntable. Later this year I may upgrade to a $400-600 range turntable. I'm doing the head spinning research now.

As I understand it, as good as the AT-LP60 sounds to me now, if I were to listen to it side by side with the next level turntable it would be like seeing a DVD next to a BR.
Thanks given by:
The Great Owl (01-16-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 07:52 PM   #12
Special Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

If you're looking to step up your game a little, I think Fluance has some great choices. Their most expensive rig is sub $500, but it also includes an acrylic platter ($120) and an excellent Ortophon 2M Blue cartridge, which alone retails for over $200. Their more expensive offerings don't offer a built-in preamp, but their lower cost tables ($200-$250) do offer them included. I have a mid-tier Fluance that has the Ortophon 2M red cartridge and it sounds amazing, plus with the walnut plinth, looks totally old school.

I've had a Sony DD table and it was great, but it was over 40 years old and was not the quietest around, but worked great at the time and was built like a tank. I also had a Denon 300 and it was terrible. Had speed issues and a hum (no ground wire either). The Fluance I bought has a servo-controlled, optical sensor motor which is found on more expensive tables and keeps the speed rock steady.
Thanks given by:
The Great Owl (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 01:15 AM   #13
Special Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I decided to swap out my Audio Technica LP60X entry level turntable ($100) for an Audio Technica LP120X turntable ($250), since I wanted the ability to adjust the toning arm tracking and the ability to upgrade the stylus/cartridge in the future.

The LP60X was good, but a handful of my records skipped during certain sound passages and those same records don't skip on the new setup. The first record I played on this LP120X was ABC - The Lexicon of Love, because a couple of bass-heavy tracks on the second side used to skip on my LP60X. They played perfectly through without skipping.

That Audio Technica LP120X is a solid choice and modeled after their classic DJ decks back in the day. Try experimenting with other mats too. A lot of vinyl enthusiasts swear by cork because of its isolation properties.

Kudos to choosing ABC as your stunt disk! I wore the crap out of my copy as well as their Millionaire release. I noticed the Clash London Calling on your desk too. By far my favorite Clash record EVER! If you have XTC’s Drums and Wires record laying around, that is also an excellent choice for checking out your new deck’s audio gymnastics. Congratulations on your new turntable GO!
Thanks given by:
Old 04-27-2021, 01:09 PM   #14
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
That Audio Technica LP120X is a solid choice and modeled after their classic DJ decks back in the day. Try experimenting with other mats too. A lot of vinyl enthusiasts swear by cork because of its isolation properties.

Kudos to choosing ABC as your stunt disk! I wore the crap out of my copy as well as their Millionaire release. I noticed the Clash London Calling on your desk too. By far my favorite Clash record EVER! If you have XTC’s Drums and Wires record laying around, that is also an excellent choice for checking out your new deck’s audio gymnastics. Congratulations on your new turntable GO!
Soon after buying the above AT LP120X, I replaced its default felt mat with a Hudson rubber mat. I noticed a sound improvement, but, best of all, the rubber mat has never lifted off the turntable with the record, as the old felt mat did.
Thanks given by:
quickdraw (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 01:18 PM   #15

Apr 2021
Beauharnois, Qc, Canada

I've one and also an LP-140. I use the LP-60 for 7" since it's an auto-return mechanism. It plays quite well.
Thanks given by:
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music