Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
23 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99
18 hrs ago
The Phantom of the Opera (Blu-ray)
$13.50
14 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Ultraman Zero Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$87.25
3 hrs ago
Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 05-26-2009, 03:59 AM   #1

Apr 2009
Talking The Official Emotiva Q&A thread

Manufacturer's Website: http://emotiva.com/

So here begins the journey for all those who have a question or seek information regarding EMOTIVA products. So please feel free to be addicted to all the EMO gear you want and speak without fear of any elitist snobs attacking you. This about having fun and being nice to one another; I hope you enjoy THE OFFICIAL EMOTIVA Q&A thread.

I personally own a UPA-7 and hopefully will receive a UMC-1 later this summer. My Emotiva UPA-7 has been a great step into separates for me and my journey has just begun. I really look forward to hearing from other EMOTIVA owners and those looking to begin their own journey into separates.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 07-20-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:04 AM   #2

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
So here begins the journey for all those who have a question or seek information regarding EMOTIVA products. So please feel free to be addicted to all the EMO gear you want and speak without fear of any elitist snobs attacking you. This about having fun and being nice to one another; I hope you enjoy THE OFFICIAL EMOTIVA Q&A thread.

I personally own a UPA-7 and hopefully will receive a UMC-1 later this summer. My Emotiva UPA-7 has been a great step into separates for me and my journey has just begun. I really look forward to hearing from other EMOTIVA owners and those looking to begin their own journey into separates.

YES

UPA-7 ~ UPA-2 HERE & LOVE theme !!

Old 05-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #3
Special Member

May 2009
Charlotte, NC

LOL funny thread.

I currently own 3 emotiva products (XPA-3, RPA-1, ERD-1's).

I have previously owned the LPA-1, LMC-1, DMC-1, RSP-1. I have also had the opportunity to hear every single amp emotiva has offered. Its all been fantastic gear. Don't let people scare you by saying it's cheap quality gear, as it is definately not.

I also work at an audio boutique and have been able to do some great comparisons, and by all means Emotiva is fantastic.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:57 AM   #4

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred7078 View Post
LOL funny thread.

I currently own 3 emotiva products (XPA-3, RPA-1, ERD-1's).

I have previously owned the LPA-1, LMC-1, DMC-1, RSP-1. I have also had the opportunity to hear every single amp emotiva has offered. Its all been fantastic gear. Don't let people scare you by saying it's cheap quality gear, as it is definately not.

I also work at an audio boutique and have been able to do some great comparisons, and by all means Emotiva is fantastic.
Please tell me what you think of the ERD-1 speakers !!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
South Dakota

I would like to know if the XMC-1 will have a phono input (so I wouldn't have to purchase a phono stage). I can't find the spec list for it.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jan 2009
San Francisco Bay Area

For a reasonable price, Emotiva makes great quality amp! My XPA-3 is one of my best audio investments! Cannot go wrong with any amp from Emotiva!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Another proud Emo owner here. Went to the UPA-7 from B&K, and couldn't be happier. I'll be trying out their 6.2 speakers some time this year along with the ERD-1's and the UMC-1. If their speakers are anything like their amps, I know they'll kick all kinds of tail!

Crazy and Bigred, those set-ups are rockin'!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009

Wow, its getting a little heated over at the "other" thread. I'm seriously considering 1 or 2 Emotiva's for my speaker/receiver upgrade later on. I will keep tabs on this thread.

The "other" thread has a bit of bad karma
Old 05-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

I'm very happy with my Emo! This is my first dive into seperates and I can tell you that I'm very happy with my choice. I can't say that I wouldn't be happy with something else, but, I don't have something else, I have an Emo; so with the Emo, I'm happy! I've got nothing but power, good clean power and plenty of reserves too. My 5 channel soundstage has opened up greatly thanks to that raw power. I am so happy with my Emo, that next month when the UMC-1 A/V pro is available, I'm gonna pick that up and the UPA-2 amp then I'm gonna move out my Onkyo 805 and go all Emo on Audio's ass! I love my Onkyo but it pales in comparisson to my Emo. Once I am Emo complete, I will re-do my gallery to reflect this. I will also do a post on my all Emo system and what I think of it. Again, I won't say it's the best because it's the only one I have and have had but I will say I am very happy with it and my descion to buy it. Not to mention the fact that it's at a very reasonable price relative to others.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Add me to the list of happy owners. I was previously running biamped LPA-1's, but after my spring speaker upgrade, I'm now running an XPA-2 for dedicated 2-channel plus one of my other LPA-1s for the center & surrounds. I'll be replacing the last LPA-1 with an XPA-5.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
Special Member

Apr 2008
CANADA
-

No questions, no answers but I am a proud XPA-3 owner. Even from Canada with a bad dollar, the price I paid during the sale was still worth it. Takes a load off my Yamaha and got my front 3 satisfied!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #12

Mar 2008
Canada
-
-

Seeing as how this is a Q&A thread, i'll throw out a couple of questions. (Complete noob questions at that)

What's the difference in the XPA-2 and the UPA-2? Either way, it would probably only be used to power the L&R speakers correct?

Assuming I never plan on going above 5.1 (for the forseeable future anyway), would the XPA-5 be the best fit for me?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by azereus View Post
Seeing as how this is a Q&A thread, i'll throw out a couple of questions. (Complete noob questions at that)

What's the difference in the XPA-2 and the UPA-2? Either way, it would probably only be used to power the L&R speakers correct?

Assuming I never plan on going above 5.1 (for the forseeable future anyway), would the XPA-5 be the best fit for me?

Thanks
first question, power, the XPA-2 is actually 300wpc @ 8ohms and 550wpc @ 4 ohms; I'd go with that, hands down.

second question the XPA-5 is 250wpc @ 8ohms and 440wpc @ 4ohms (both all channels driven) so, yes in my opinion this would give you lots of power and headroom in a 5.1 situation. I have one it drives 5 of my 7 channels and I love it. Next month I'll be using a UPA-2 to drive my 2 surround back channels.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #14

Mar 2008
Canada
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
first question, power, the XPA-2 is actually 300wpc @ 8ohms and 550wpc @ 4 ohms; I'd go with that, hands down.

second question the XPA-5 is 250wpc @ 8ohms and 440wpc @ 4ohms (both all channels driven) so, yes in my opinion this would give you lots of power and headroom in a 5.1 situation. I have one it drives 5 of my 7 channels and I love it. Next month I'll be using a UPA-2 to drive my 2 surround back channels.
hmm, isn't it funny how answers lead to more questions. (Try not to get frustrated, because I'm still fairly new with this stuff.)

I'm looking at upgrading speakers in the very near future to a proper set of floorstanding with a matching center. The L&R are 8ohm speakers but I've noticed that the center is 6ohm. The Emo's seem to list power ratings based on 8 or 4...what about 6?

Thanks again
Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #15
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
hmm, isn't it funny how answers lead to more questions. (Try not to get frustrated, because I'm still fairly new with this stuff.)

I'm looking at upgrading speakers in the very near future to a proper set of floorstanding with a matching center. The L&R are 8ohm speakers but I've noticed that the center is 6ohm. The Emo's seem to list power ratings based on 8 or 4...what about 6?

Thanks again
that 6ohm will be covered at the 8ohm rating. that is why if you check some amps and receivers, they are rated at 6 - 8 ohms or 4 ohms.
don't worry kid your covered. I am a little surprised, you say this is a "matching center" of a set. Most of the speaker "sets" sold by the makers are all the same ohm ratings either 8 or 4 but not a mixture. Not saying your not right, it just sounds odd!?!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #16

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

This will be A great thread For A lot of us !!
At first I had my UPA-7 on all 7 speakers , Then I added the UPA-2 to Bi-amp A set of speakers !
Now I have my 7 channel on my front L/R only . My 2 channel on my center & my front sound stage is incredible now .

MY TOYS !!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #17
Special Member

Apr 2008
CANADA
-

Quote:

Thanks again
I think you would get equal or more power than the 8 ohms I'm guessing since @ 4 ohms you get more power than 8 ohms so if your happy with the rating at 8 - the amp you choose is good to go!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #18

Mar 2008
Canada
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
that 6ohm will be covered at the 8ohm rating. that is why if you check some amps and receivers, they are rated at 6 - 8 ohms or 4 ohms.
don't worry kid your covered. I am a little surprised, you say this is a "matching center" of a set. Most of the speaker "sets" sold by the makers are all the same ohm ratings either 8 or 4 but not a mixture. Not saying your not right, it just sounds odd!?!
I could very well be wrong. Like i said, I'm still pretty new to all this and have never had "real" speakers beyond my current Polk bookshelf ones. If someone wants to check to make sure I'm not going crazy, the speakers I'm looking at are:

L&R: Axiom M60 http://www.axiomaudio.com/m60.html
C: Axiom VP150 http://www.axiomaudio.com/vp150.html
Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008

Quote:
I could very well be wrong. Like i said, I'm still pretty new to all this and have never had "real" speakers beyond my current Polk bookshelf ones. If someone wants to check to make sure I'm not going crazy, the speakers I'm looking at are:

L&R: Axiom M60 http://www.axiomaudio.com/m60.html
C: Axiom VP150 http://www.axiomaudio.com/vp150.html
I've used those before. Like solarrdadd said, you're covered kid.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #20

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

I'm curious ? Does anyone use something other than A regular RCA cable from the receiver (Pre-pro) to there amp !
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems