Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Chicago: The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning (iTunes)
$6.99
10 hrs ago
Phil Collins: Love Songs (iTunes)
$6.99
10 hrs ago
Coldplay: X & Y (iTunes)
$4.99
10 hrs ago
Coldplay: Mylo Xyloto (iTunes)
$4.99
10 hrs ago
Bill Withers: Lean On Me: The Best of Bill Withers (iTunes)
$6.99
10 hrs ago
Pantera: The Best of Pantera: Far Beyond the Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits! (iTunes)
$6.99
10 hrs ago
Black Sabbath: Greatest Hits 1970-1978 (iTunes)
$6.99
10 hrs ago
Aretha Franklin: 30 Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99
10 hrs ago
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99
10 hrs ago
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99
10 hrs ago
The Goo Goo Dolls: Greatest Hits Volume One - The Singles (iTunes)
$6.99
10 hrs ago
Madonna: The Immaculate Collection (iTunes)
$6.99
10 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles

Old 02-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #1

Jun 2010
Default Punk rock music thread

Discuss. No discussion on poser punk (Greenday, Blink 182, etc) please. Fave bands, albums, shows? GO!!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Atlanta, GA

I like to skirt around the boundaries of punk rock. Do you even count these guys as punk? (they're probably either proto-punk or post-punk)

Gang of Four (fave album is Solid Gold)
Television (Marquee Moon... but check out Live at the Waldorf '78)
the Jam (All Mod Cons)
Modern Lovers (Modern Lovers)

EDIT: the MC5 - Kick Out the Jams is another good proto-punk album.

And of course, London Calling by the Clash. The only album to which I can compare this sprawling masterpiece is Exile on Main St. by the Rolling Stones.

The Talking Heads also have an early live album (Name of This Band is Talking Heads) that reveals them closer to their punk roots than, say, 1984's live album Stop Making Sense.

Television is absolutely ridiculous. The guitarist/vocalist Tom Verlaine has one of the most abrasive voices ever, but it totally fits within the context of the music. Then, he fires off these furious riffs and spirals off into long-winded free-form guitar solos (the antithesis of punk rock, right?) but still manages to retain the punk rock framework. At times, I wonder how Verlaine doesn't run out of notes to play. The only artist to which I can compare Tom Verlaine/Television is Neil Young (and I think it's a fitting one seeing as how Young is also one of the forerunners of punk).

Last edited by wilky61; 02-17-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #3

Feb 2008
MA

I use to listen to a lot of punk. I don't listen to it as much since now I prefer mostly post-punk stuff. Fugazi, a bit of The Butthole Surfers, Medicine, My Bloody Valentine, Jesus and the Mary Chain (yeah, mostly shoegaze).

My favorite Punk bands were The Anti-Nowhere League, Sham 69, Cockney Rejects and a bunch of others I forget at the moment, along with the standards like The Ramones and The Sex Pistols. I still listen to them from time to time, especially The Ramones, The Sex Pistols and The Anti-Nowhere League, but like I said, I mostly listen to shoegaze.

For proto-punk I like Iggy Pop and The New York Dolls. Mostly Iggy Pop, but The New York Dolls are fun to listen to from time to time.

Modern bands that try to play classic punk always sound off. I've heard a few bands like The Causalities, and I have to laugh. I remember an interview with Johnny Rotten of The Sex Pistols, and he was saying how all these modern bands that try to play classic punk sound like they don't understand punk (he also said he doesn't consider the Sex Pistols punk, but that's another thing entirely). He said all they do is just play fast, for example he mentioned "god save the queen" and when modern bands try to cover it they speed it up. He states what gave "god save the queen" the power, the oomph, was the tempo and speeding it up takes the power away. I have to agree, with both god save the queens tempo and most modern punk bands.

My username is my punk rock nickname. I use to play and write a lot of punk stuff on guitar (also wrote the bass and lyrics). A guy I knew who listened to punk said I played the most authentic punk he's heard since the 80's ended and all the originals hung up their guitars. He gave me the nick name "Lloyd Nasty" and said I was like the unofficial member of The Sex Pistols.

Anyway, I don't get how bands like green day could be considered punk. It always just sounded like pop rock to me. I don't see the punk influences. I guess it's because it's simplistic music. Ya know, they only use a hand full of power chords, and punk was known for only using a handful of power chords too. Just seems wrong for people to think this is all that makes punk rock punk rock.

Last edited by SammyB; 02-17-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Think punk is a pretty broad term and one persons favorites are gonna be another persons posers.... personally i used to like blink 182 pre dude ranch.

Obviously since they are in my avatar i am and always have been a fan of NOFX, one of my top 5 when it comes to any genre.

Some other favorites...

Bad religion
Face to Face
Decendents
Pennywise
Me first and the
No use for a name
Rise against, the older stuff before they started doing mainstream rock
Millencolin (havn't heard their last few albums)
Lagwagon
Offspring
Rancid

all that come to mind for now, i can't listen to the ramones, garage punk or any of that old british stuff, just doesn't do it for me

Of course all the california style reggae bands that combine punk, reggae and such as i was always a big sublime fan.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkmanly View Post
From a punk perspective, that's pretty much all I listen to.

Having an older brother with a record buying addiction meant 77-80 was a great time to listen to someone else's playlist!!
Well, in all honesty the only band i recognize on that list as for sure listening to is the clash, not bad but nothing i would sit down and jam, but i do think they meld well with soundtracks in movies. I definitely am more attracted to what in most cases would probably be labeled as pop punk. Not a genre i really keep up with anymore either, i only get new stuff from a small number of bands (mainly NOFX) and the rest i probably listen to more for nostalgic reasons, at least with my current listening habits. I am obviously a bit younger then you as well since i wasn't born until a few years after you were jamming those records
Old 02-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #6

Feb 2008
MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkmanly View Post
From a punk perspective, that's pretty much all I listen to.

Adam and the Ants (Dirk Wears White Sox era)
The Clash
The Undertones
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Stiff Little Fingers
UK Subs
The Stranglers
Angelic Upstarts
The Ruts
The Skids
The Damned

Having an older brother with a record buying addiction meant 77-80 was a great time to listen to someone else's playlist!!
I would call Sioxsie and the Banshees, and The Damned more post punk. Sioxsie and the Banshees are easily one of my favorite bands. The Damned had some good albums, but some I'd skip.

Never could get into The Clash. They sounded like they had too much 80's mainstream in them, and popular 80's music is something I can't stand.

Pretty good list though.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:40 AM   #7

Feb 2008
MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeyeyez View Post
Think punk is a pretty broad term and one persons favorites are gonna be another persons posers.... personally i used to like blink 182 pre dude ranch.

Obviously since they are in my avatar i am and always have been a fan of NOFX, one of my top 5 when it comes to any genre.

Some other favorites...

Bad religion
Face to Face
Decendents
Pennywise
Me first and the
No use for a name
Rise against, the older stuff before they started doing mainstream rock
Millencolin (havn't heard their last few albums)
Lagwagon
Offspring
Rancid

all that come to mind for now, i can't listen to the ramones, garage punk or any of that old british stuff, just doesn't do it for me

Of course all the california style reggae bands that combine punk, reggae and such as i was always a big sublime fan.
Punk a broad term... Don't know if I completely agree. I mean there's many styles... Oi!, Pogo, Hardcore, british, straight edge... But when you hear any of these you can tell they're part of the Punk genre. Then there's post punk genres. Siouxsie and the Banshees are considered goth, or goth punk (not to be confused with any metal band).

Pop Punk when you listen to it, then listen to The Ramones, or any of the original punk bands there's no sonic similarity. And lyrically Punk and pop punk are so different. I mean hardcore punk and the ramones were different, but they had that feel to them, raw and powerful. But my brother was into blink 182 and I remember a song about a fella with dysentery. I mean, pop punk always came across as juvenile to me, not just songs about bowel problems but even that green day ballad back in the 90's, sounded like it was written from the perspective of a teenager. When green day made their come back that's when I stopped listening to the radio. They were the catalyst.

(Another thing... Anyone else notice a lot of mainstream bands seem immature? Lyrically I mean. Back in the 90's I remember korn being big, and some of their songs. I mean, the singer was a grown man but complained about stuff that happened when he was a teenager. So many bands seem to write their lyrics for teenagers. Maybe it's just me. But it would make sense. Teens buy more albums than grown adults, so it makes sense from a business viewpoint. I always found it odd, and maybe a bit creepy whenever grown ups sing about love, or life, but sounds like the naive view a teenager has. Sorry for going off topic a bit, but noticed this when thinking of pop punk.)

A few bands you listed, Bad Religion, Pennywise, and I believe at one point atleast The Offspring, were/are signed to Epitaph. Epitaph was a good label for punk bands in the 80's, but around the early 90's they started getting big (not that big though) and signed a lot of crap. They really tried to cash in on the pop punk thing once green day and blink 182 got big, but remained small enough to never become a major power.

Bad Religion did have their day, but haven't done anything good for a long time. Same goes for the Decendents.

Offspring are what I would call a post punk band. Their early stuff was pretty good, but I haven't heard anything from them for a while.

Original Punk isn't for everyone, so I'm not surprised you don't like The Ramones or any of that "old British Stuff"... I'm 23 and don't consider 70's 80's Punk old. But then again I don't consider Dirty Harry old. I guess I only consider something old once it become irrelevant, and Punk still remains a big influence, at least in some of my favorite modern bands.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

I consider the term old pretty safe for music made 30-40 years ago . Doesn't mean its not good. To me punk is a teen genre of music though and always had been for the most part, its about teen angst, and such and a lot of that is emphasized lyrically in most punk whether its the styles i like or not. The difference is the generations that created it and the world that surrounds them, which is why "older" punk bands can have political, and some what profound lyrics, and these newer bands sing about gonorrhea and starbucks.

I also don't begrudge anyone for listening to the bands i listed as the industry itself also influences the music, blink for instance was a hell of a lot different pre travis. Does there old stuff ever see my ipod anymore hell no, but that doesn't change the fact that before they had to alter their sound to suit the labels they were influenced by those bands listed from the 70's-80's.

What i don't get is the offense some take to you call that punk, I mean i know i felt that way when i was younger, but isn't music meant to advance and evolve. Some what reminds me of the comments you see on tv shows or the like when someone says "im glad that got cancelled". It kind of leaves me with that why question rambling around my brain.

Just possibly these kids go to see a band like green day at a warped tour or something and branch from there back to the bands like misfits, bad religion and such to the bands you enjoy exploring all that punk has to offer. One of my favorite things about the genre, it has an endless amount of takes and styles. Garage, hardcore, skate, pop, post, proto, etc.... In the end we got a shit load of bands making their own way, creating their own labels from a movement that saw the music industry commercializing the "rock" of their time.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Ontario, Canada

Dropkick Murphys

Love Sublime as well but don't really consider them Punk.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #10

Dec 2010
London

The best punk music was the American hardcore from the 80s, stuff like Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Circle Jerks, Adolescents etc.

The 90s was also a great decade for punk and music in general.

My favourite band of all time is Bad Religion and my favouritr album of all time os the first DKs album.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

I used to listen to mostly punk in high school and college...

Bands that we listened to were

Decendents
Voodoo Glow Skulls (still a great listen for me, takes me back)
Assorted Jelly Beans
NOFX
The Clash
Skeletones (ska punk)

those are just ones that I remember off the top of my head.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Leaf Nation
Canada

I'm more of a "Hard Rock" fan but do have 3 "Punk" CD's in my collection and they're Great:

1. The Sex Pistols-"Never Mind the Bullocks" (1977)...Favourite song, "EMI".
2. The Ramones-"Ramones" (1976)...Favourite song, "Blitzkrieg Bop".
3. The Clash-"Combat Rock" (1982)...Favourite song, "Rock the Casbah".

Old 02-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #13

Oct 2008
Radville

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick nick View Post
the best punk music was the american hardcore from the 80s, stuff like dead kennedys, black flag, bad brains, circle jerks, adolescents etc.
^this.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep inside your fever-dream.

Best punk band of all time: The Ramones.

Here's a gratuitous self-promoting pic (me, Dee Dee, Joey back in the mid-80s):

Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Leaf Nation
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lugosi View Post
Best punk band of all time: The Ramones.

Here's a gratuitous self-promoting pic (me, Dee Dee, Joey back in the mid-80s):

Pic....Joey was Great.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #16

Oct 2008
Radville

I'd also add that my favorite current punk band is GALLOWS.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2008
The Island

Dead Kennedy's - "Plastic Surgery Disasters"

Buzzcocks - "Singles Going Steady"
Old 03-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #18
Banned

Jul 2010
Hudson Valley, NY

Yeah, Punk is a pretty broad genre. Some of my favorites are...

Adam and the Ants
The New York Dolls
The Ramones
The Plasmatics
The Clash
Old 03-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Seven seas

I really like the Ramones they are really the best at what they do which is punk music. Other bands I used to listen to and still do include:

MxPx
Adolescents
Strung Out
The Germs
Black Flag
The Dickies
Minor Threat
Social Distortion<< Their new album sounds great!!

However my favorite punk band of all time has to be The Misfits. Their music has really inspired so many musicians of the genre.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

Never saw this thread until now..

My all-time favorite band would have to be Bad Religion.. They've managed to combine timeless lyrics with kick-ass music.. They cannot be labelled "teen-angst" and I think their music will hold up for many, many years - at least for me! You can't say the same about another band I used to like a lot - The Offspring. They are irrelevant to me now but their album Ignition is still great.. NOFX are also up there as one of my favorites but I find Bad Religion more "powerful"..

Other favorites are Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, Descendents and I like some Rancid, Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly as well...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles