Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Chicago: The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning (iTunes)
$6.99

Phil Collins: Love Songs (iTunes)
$6.99

Coldplay: X & Y (iTunes)
$4.99

Coldplay: Mylo Xyloto (iTunes)
$4.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

Black Sabbath: Greatest Hits 1970-1978 (iTunes)
$6.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

Bill Withers: Lean On Me: The Best of Bill Withers (iTunes)
$6.99

Madonna: The Immaculate Collection (iTunes)
$6.99

Pantera: The Best of Pantera: Far Beyond the Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits! (iTunes)
$6.99

The Goo Goo Dolls: Greatest Hits Volume One - The Singles (iTunes)
$6.99

Aretha Franklin: 30 Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles

View Poll Results: Frank Zappa, genious?
Genious, nothing less 17 65.38%
Just can' stand him 4 15.38%
Somewhere in the middle 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
Canada #1!

I definitely understand how the incessant attempts at cheeky humor in Frank's music can be off-putting.

For Zappa fans who haven't heard Weird Al Yankovic's incredible and wonderful tribute to Frank Zappa:

A fine example of one musical genius paying his respects to another.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #22

Dec 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa

One of the things you can say about Frank Zappa which these days, you can say of very few people, is that he genuinely created his own Genré of music... His music was not pop, rock, jazz... it was just Frank Zappa... Sometimes okay, sometimes good, frequently grin-inducingly brilliant.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

I agree and would add that most everyone I know who like Zappa are musicians as he had a knack of making extremely complicated music sound so easy. I remember the first time I saw some of his music on sheets in high school, I was floored by what I saw, conventions weren't for him that's for sure.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #24

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I agree and would add that most everyone I know who like Zappa are musicians as he had a knack of making extremely complicated music sound so easy. I remember the first time I saw some of his music on sheets in high school, I was floored by what I saw, conventions weren't for him that's for sure.
I'm no muso, trust me, but I can appreciate the skill he had, even in the 'lighter' humorous stuff.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #25

Nov 2008
NW Indiana

I like a lot of his stuff and he is really creative, but it wasn't until I saw him live that I realized his genius. He was conducting and playing on the tour I saw. It really sunk in the next few days when I said to myself "wow, that truly was an incredible performance". I had a much higher appreciation of the man and his music after that show. Sometimes we can't see genius until it pokes us in the eye...and ears.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #26

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Meanie View Post
I like a lot of his stuff and he is really creative, but it wasn't until I saw him live that I realized his genius. He was conducting and playing on the tour I saw. It really sunk in the next few days when I said to myself "wow, that truly was an incredible performance". I had a much higher appreciation of the man and his music after that show. Sometimes we can't see genius until it pokes us in the eye...and ears.
You saw Frank live...? *I'm not worthy*

Seriously, it must have been quite something...
Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #27
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
Germany

I recently started listing to some of his stuff. Hot Rats is great. But he did so many records. What are his best albums? Which ones can you recommend for Zappa newcomers?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
I recently started listing to some of his stuff. Hot Rats is great. But he did so many records. What are his best albums? Which ones can you recommend for Zappa newcomers?
That is one tough question as he has well over 80 albums, if not more I believe. As was mentioned a few posts up, his live stuff is were he shines, taking is crew wherever he wanted. His "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore" series is fun as it is obviously live. Frank was the poster boy for jam-bands.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #29

Dec 2011

Quote:
In my opinion, and it is honestly just my own opinion, Overnite Sensation was his best studio album... For me, at any rate, its the CD I'll play in the car most often. Musically its faultless and lyrically I never get tired of it.

I also always loved Sheik Yerbouti and You Are What You Is...

I think thats another thing about Zappa... You'll get 20 answers and every one will be completely different.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #30
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLJhb View Post
In my opinion, and it is honestly just my own opinion, Overnite Sensation was his best studio album... For me, at any rate, its the CD I'll play in the car most often. Musically its faultless and lyrically I never get tired of it.

I think thats another thing about Zappa... You'll get 20 answers and every one will be completely different.
I listened to the previews of those two albums on iTunes... I like what I heard. I might buy those two albums today.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #31
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
Germany

Bough Over-Nite Sensation and I love it. Now on to Sheik Yerbouti
Old 06-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLJhb View Post

Quote:
I have to give credit where credit is due, Steve gave you at the least some top 5 studio albums in many many real fans lists. I also think his '73-'79 run was his most creative years in defining the "Zappa" trademark sound. As much as I love earlier stuff like Hot Rats or later like '84 "Them or Us".

It's all worth discovering, but let's face it, not many will have the time for his entire catalog if you're not a fan
Old 06-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Here's a concert from the master

Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #34

Dec 2011

Quote:
Awesome! Enjoy...
Old 06-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #35

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I have to give credit where credit is due, Steve gave you at the least some top 5 studio albums in many many real fans lists. I also think his '73-'79 run was his most creative years in defining the "Zappa" trademark sound. As much as I love earlier stuff like Hot Rats or later like '84 "Them or Us".

It's all worth discovering, but let's face it, not many will have the time for his entire catalog if you're not a fan
Thank you Sir... I am familiar with a lot of the live material, but I must confess I am more familiar with the studio albums, and as is often the case with Frank the 'mixed' albums like Tinseltown Rebellion... still have that on vinyl somewhere.

My brother has the entire YCDTOSA series... Cost him a small fortune over here.

My biggest regret is that he passed away before the DVD/HD/Blu Ray era... Yes there is live footage but not the kind we all wish we could have to treasure on BD sadly.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-
-
-
-

Early fan of Zappa/Mothers. Kind of lost me with 200 Motels, some of his other later albums caught my attention from time to time, but not like his early stuff. Of those, I would probably go with Weasels Ripped My Flesh as my favorite. Been quite a while since I've listened to anything of his really, but the same could be said for most of my music collection past several years.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
Canada #1!

Quote:
Awesome.

If you like those, be sure to check out:
- Apostrophe
- One Size Fits All
- Zoot Allures
- Joe's Garage
- Freak Out!
- Burnt Weenie Sandwich (warning - this album is almost all instrumental music, and not very "rock" sounding)

Last edited by mrr1; 08-30-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
Canada #1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm View Post
I would probably go with Weasels Ripped My Flesh as my favorite.
I love that album, too. A lot of it is very "jazzy" though, and is a challenging listen. It's great to listen to back-to-back with Burnt Weenie Sandwich.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:53 AM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2016
Quixote's Coop at Bucketheadland
Default Zappa Documentary - March 2, 2021

Old 02-28-2021, 06:18 AM   #40

Aug 2020

I do not think Frank Zappa was a genius. I know it. Outside of Flakes and Stinkfoot, his best composition was Muffin Man. But grading Frank Zappa songs against one another is like putting one or more of your favourite pixels from your favourite frame from your favourite film together and deciding which is the best.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles