Best iTunes Music Deals


Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Chicago: The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Phil Collins: Love Songs (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Coldplay: X & Y (iTunes)
$4.99
 
Coldplay: Mylo Xyloto (iTunes)
$4.99
 
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Black Sabbath: Greatest Hits 1970-1978 (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Bill Withers: Lean On Me: The Best of Bill Withers (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Madonna: The Immaculate Collection (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Pantera: The Best of Pantera: Far Beyond the Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits! (iTunes)
$6.99
 
The Goo Goo Dolls: Greatest Hits Volume One - The Singles (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Aretha Franklin: 30 Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles

View Poll Results: Frank Zappa, genious?
Genious, nothing less 17 65.38%
Just can' stand him 4 15.38%
Somewhere in the middle 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #21
mrr1 mrr1 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2011
Canada #1!
153
1
Default

I definitely understand how the incessant attempts at cheeky humor in Frank's music can be off-putting.


For Zappa fans who haven't heard Weird Al Yankovic's incredible and wonderful tribute to Frank Zappa:





A fine example of one musical genius paying his respects to another.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #22
SteveLJhb SteveLJhb is offline
Member
 
SteveLJhb's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
5
171
224
Default

One of the things you can say about Frank Zappa which these days, you can say of very few people, is that he genuinely created his own Genré of music... His music was not pop, rock, jazz... it was just Frank Zappa... Sometimes okay, sometimes good, frequently grin-inducingly brilliant.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #23
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
570
1
6
158
Default

I agree and would add that most everyone I know who like Zappa are musicians as he had a knack of making extremely complicated music sound so easy. I remember the first time I saw some of his music on sheets in high school, I was floored by what I saw, conventions weren't for him that's for sure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #24
SteveLJhb SteveLJhb is offline
Member
 
SteveLJhb's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
5
171
224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I agree and would add that most everyone I know who like Zappa are musicians as he had a knack of making extremely complicated music sound so easy. I remember the first time I saw some of his music on sheets in high school, I was floored by what I saw, conventions weren't for him that's for sure.
I'm no muso, trust me, but I can appreciate the skill he had, even in the 'lighter' humorous stuff.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #25
Blu-Meanie Blu-Meanie is offline
Active Member
 
Blu-Meanie's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
NW Indiana
1
Default

I like a lot of his stuff and he is really creative, but it wasn't until I saw him live that I realized his genius. He was conducting and playing on the tour I saw. It really sunk in the next few days when I said to myself "wow, that truly was an incredible performance". I had a much higher appreciation of the man and his music after that show. Sometimes we can't see genius until it pokes us in the eye...and ears.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #26
SteveLJhb SteveLJhb is offline
Member
 
SteveLJhb's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
5
171
224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Meanie View Post
I like a lot of his stuff and he is really creative, but it wasn't until I saw him live that I realized his genius. He was conducting and playing on the tour I saw. It really sunk in the next few days when I said to myself "wow, that truly was an incredible performance". I had a much higher appreciation of the man and his music after that show. Sometimes we can't see genius until it pokes us in the eye...and ears.
You saw Frank live...? *I'm not worthy*

Seriously, it must have been quite something...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #27
BladeRunner2007 BladeRunner2007 is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
BladeRunner2007's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Germany
2
878
3
Default

I recently started listing to some of his stuff. Hot Rats is great. But he did so many records. What are his best albums? Which ones can you recommend for Zappa newcomers?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #28
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
570
1
6
158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
I recently started listing to some of his stuff. Hot Rats is great. But he did so many records. What are his best albums? Which ones can you recommend for Zappa newcomers?
That is one tough question as he has well over 80 albums, if not more I believe. As was mentioned a few posts up, his live stuff is were he shines, taking is crew wherever he wanted. His "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore" series is fun as it is obviously live. Frank was the poster boy for jam-bands.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #29
SteveLJhb SteveLJhb is offline
Member
 
SteveLJhb's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
5
171
224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
I recently started listing to some of his stuff. Hot Rats is great. But he did so many records. What are his best albums? Which ones can you recommend for Zappa newcomers?
In my opinion, and it is honestly just my own opinion, Overnite Sensation was his best studio album... For me, at any rate, its the CD I'll play in the car most often. Musically its faultless and lyrically I never get tired of it.

I also always loved Sheik Yerbouti and You Are What You Is...

I think thats another thing about Zappa... You'll get 20 answers and every one will be completely different.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #30
BladeRunner2007 BladeRunner2007 is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
BladeRunner2007's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Germany
2
878
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLJhb View Post
In my opinion, and it is honestly just my own opinion, Overnite Sensation was his best studio album... For me, at any rate, its the CD I'll play in the car most often. Musically its faultless and lyrically I never get tired of it.

I also always loved Sheik Yerbouti and You Are What You Is...

I think thats another thing about Zappa... You'll get 20 answers and every one will be completely different.
I listened to the previews of those two albums on iTunes... I like what I heard. I might buy those two albums today.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #31
BladeRunner2007 BladeRunner2007 is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
BladeRunner2007's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Germany
2
878
3
Default

Bough Over-Nite Sensation and I love it. Now on to Sheik Yerbouti
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #32
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
570
1
6
158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLJhb View Post
In my opinion, and it is honestly just my own opinion, Overnite Sensation was his best studio album... For me, at any rate, its the CD I'll play in the car most often. Musically its faultless and lyrically I never get tired of it.

I also always loved Sheik Yerbouti and You Are What You Is...

I think thats another thing about Zappa... You'll get 20 answers and every one will be completely different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
Bough Over-Nite Sensation and I love it. Now on to Sheik Yerbouti
I have to give credit where credit is due, Steve gave you at the least some top 5 studio albums in many many real fans lists. I also think his '73-'79 run was his most creative years in defining the "Zappa" trademark sound. As much as I love earlier stuff like Hot Rats or later like '84 "Them or Us".

It's all worth discovering, but let's face it, not many will have the time for his entire catalog if you're not a fan
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #33
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
570
1
6
158
Default

Here's a concert from the master

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #34
SteveLJhb SteveLJhb is offline
Member
 
SteveLJhb's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
5
171
224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
Bough Over-Nite Sensation and I love it. Now on to Sheik Yerbouti
Awesome! Enjoy...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #35
SteveLJhb SteveLJhb is offline
Member
 
SteveLJhb's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
5
171
224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I have to give credit where credit is due, Steve gave you at the least some top 5 studio albums in many many real fans lists. I also think his '73-'79 run was his most creative years in defining the "Zappa" trademark sound. As much as I love earlier stuff like Hot Rats or later like '84 "Them or Us".

It's all worth discovering, but let's face it, not many will have the time for his entire catalog if you're not a fan
Thank you Sir... I am familiar with a lot of the live material, but I must confess I am more familiar with the studio albums, and as is often the case with Frank the 'mixed' albums like Tinseltown Rebellion... still have that on vinyl somewhere.

My brother has the entire YCDTOSA series... Cost him a small fortune over here.

My biggest regret is that he passed away before the DVD/HD/Blu Ray era... Yes there is live footage but not the kind we all wish we could have to treasure on BD sadly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #36
fdm fdm is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
fdm's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-
-
-
-
2
3
Default

Early fan of Zappa/Mothers. Kind of lost me with 200 Motels, some of his other later albums caught my attention from time to time, but not like his early stuff. Of those, I would probably go with Weasels Ripped My Flesh as my favorite. Been quite a while since I've listened to anything of his really, but the same could be said for most of my music collection past several years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #37
mrr1 mrr1 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2011
Canada #1!
153
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
Bough Over-Nite Sensation and I love it. Now on to Sheik Yerbouti
Awesome.


If you like those, be sure to check out:
- Apostrophe
- One Size Fits All
- Zoot Allures
- Joe's Garage
- Freak Out!
- Burnt Weenie Sandwich (warning - this album is almost all instrumental music, and not very "rock" sounding)

Last edited by mrr1; 08-30-2013 at 10:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #38
mrr1 mrr1 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2011
Canada #1!
153
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm View Post
I would probably go with Weasels Ripped My Flesh as my favorite.
I love that album, too. A lot of it is very "jazzy" though, and is a challenging listen. It's great to listen to back-to-back with Burnt Weenie Sandwich.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:53 AM   #39
BucketheadPikes BucketheadPikes is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
BucketheadPikes's Avatar
 
Oct 2016
Quixote's Coop at Bucketheadland
1
Default Zappa Documentary - March 2, 2021

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:18 AM   #40
Kronisk Kronisk is offline
Junior Member
 
Aug 2020
Default

I do not think Frank Zappa was a genius. I know it. Outside of Flakes and Stinkfoot, his best composition was Muffin Man. But grading Frank Zappa songs against one another is like putting one or more of your favourite pixels from your favourite frame from your favourite film together and deciding which is the best.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:50 PM.