Best iTunes Music Deals


Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Chicago: The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Phil Collins: Love Songs (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Coldplay: X & Y (iTunes)
$4.99
 
Coldplay: Mylo Xyloto (iTunes)
$4.99
 
Black Sabbath: Greatest Hits 1970-1978 (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Bill Withers: Lean On Me: The Best of Bill Withers (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Pantera: The Best of Pantera: Far Beyond the Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits! (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Madonna: The Immaculate Collection (iTunes)
$6.99
 
The Goo Goo Dolls: Greatest Hits Volume One - The Singles (iTunes)
$6.99
 
Slipknot: Antennas To Hell (iTunes)
$6.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #21
Scarriere Scarriere is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
Scarriere's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™
60
108
677
20
1
Default

His music isn't to my taste, but I wouldn't question his genius.
We watched This Is It last year and that routine he performed for his dancers gave me goose-bumps.
He definitely knows how to perform!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #22
Johnny Vinyl Johnny Vinyl is offline
Moderator
 
Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
19
205
7
3
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
I don't think so. As much as I love Stevie, MJ's body of work is just as great. Number 1 albums, number 1 songs, Grammy Awards, timeless music. I don't know how you come to this conclusion. Please explain
Michael Jackson Discography
Stevie Wonder Discography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Eyes View Post
I think you are both wrong. If the truth be told Ray Charles was more talented than either of them!
I would sure put him on an equal footing, but Ray was Blues and Country (yes). So it's like comparing apples to oranges.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #23
Angel Eyes Angel Eyes is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2012
Out in the fields around Maltlicky, Texas
4
463
8
1
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Michael Jackson Discography
Stevie Wonder Discography



I would sure put him on an equal footing, but Ray was Blues and Country (yes). So it's like comparing apples to oranges.
Johnny it was meant as kinda a joke. I love Stevie Wonder, well at least up until about 1981 or so. But his 5 album run starting with 1972's Music of the Mind thru 1976's Songs in the Leys of Life will never be matched again I dont think. 5 Albums that are that great in a 5 year stretch I have only seen one other time and that was Rubber Soul thru Abbey Road.

But back to Michael he was the ultimate entertainer on Stage and in Video with (imho) 2 great Albums (Off the Wall and Thriller) and one really good album (Bad). His output suffered much in the way Elvis's did but instead of putting too much product out too fast MJ put out too little.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #24
Hi-Def Steve Hi-Def Steve is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Hi-Def Steve's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
Pasadena, CA
86
154
7
1
127
Default

Michael Jackson got me into music period. Off The Wall would be my favorite album of his. Billie Jean would be my favorite song.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #25
Johnny Vinyl Johnny Vinyl is offline
Moderator
 
Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
19
205
7
3
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Eyes View Post
Johnny it was meant as kinda a joke. I love Stevie Wonder, well at least up until about 1981 or so. But his 5 album run starting with 1972's Music of the Mind thru 1976's Songs in the Leys of Life will never be matched again I dont think. 5 Albums that are that great in a 5 year stretch I have only seen one other time and that was Rubber Soul thru Abbey Road.

But back to Michael he was the ultimate entertainer on Stage and in Video with (imho) 2 great Albums (Off the Wall and Thriller) and one really good album (Bad). His output suffered much in the way Elvis's did but instead of putting too much product out too fast MJ put out too little.
Absolutely!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #26
AlexKx AlexKx is offline
Active Member
 
Jan 2005
Default

Wow I love Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley but let's make one thing clear there is nothing similar about them and "how their lives ended". There's plenty to critisize Michael Jackson with but the reason he died was because of Dr. Conrad Murray and the reason he started doing the twisted behavior of being put under was because of Dr. Arnold Cline in the year 1996. Of course Dr. Arnold Cline has NO CHARGES press against him because supposedly no one could figure out to do so. You can see this guy with Michael getting pictures on the set of the making of the short promotional film (music video) for the song "Stranger In Moscow". By the time Michael passed Dr. Cline was all haggard looking and nasty (and he wasn't that old...and looks relatively good (per se, eh) in the behind the scenes clip). So obviously he had been doing stuff to himself as well. I would imagine one thing would have been pot as he apparently was open about the use of that as he would celebrate it with paraphanalia on a shirt he wore once.

Elvis on the other hand took LOADS of meds for little to no good reasons. Michael of course had his burns on the back of his head so he needed some sort or sorts of pain killers since 1984. Of course the haters since then and all the way up until now did NOTHING but make fun of him to no end for this and completely leave the fact out when they want to say he was like these other druggy loosers. Who knows what the hell the truth is with Michael Jackson in his personal life but he is one of the main reasons why I never did drugs or drank or smoked. That aspect of him was excersized as far back as 1984 when he ran the campaign with Nancy Reagan about encouraging people to not drink and drive. He allowed her to use the song "Beat It" for that.

With all of that said...and there's plenty more...I LOVE "Invincible", "HIStory: Past, Present, And Future - BOOK I", "Michael", and "Immortal".

I also saw him in real life at the funeral for James Brown two years before he died. It is a looong story but as a fan it was fascinating and mindblowing. Especially since he quit touring the U.S. back in 1989.

Last edited by AlexKx; 09-01-2012 at 03:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #27
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
570
1
6
158
Default

Michael Jackson was surrounded by people who failed him. If he did have this addiction to painkillers and others, people around him should of helped. He's been living in a fantasy world since a young child. You need good people to keep you straight in such a crazy life.

Not particularly a fan, but hey who's old enough to not like MJ.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
Johnny Vinyl Johnny Vinyl is offline
Moderator
 
Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
19
205
7
3
8
Default

Lets keep the conversation to the music folks...Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #29
Villiam Hayes Villiam Hayes is offline
Banned
 
Dec 2011
Norn Iron
15
437
5
20
Default

There have been many charity singles down the years but the one that still stand's out for me is We Are The World,what a super record,co-written by M.J. with a star studded ensemble which helped raise lot's of money for a good cause.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #30
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
570
1
6
158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Lets keep the conversation to the music folks...Thanks!
Yea sorry about that, I guess I just feel bad for the man.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #31
Villiam Hayes Villiam Hayes is offline
Banned
 
Dec 2011
Norn Iron
15
437
5
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Yea sorry about that, I guess I just feel bad for the man.
Well it's a breath of fresh air to hear from someone who is "not particularly a fan"
say something constructive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #32
Angel Eyes Angel Eyes is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2012
Out in the fields around Maltlicky, Texas
4
463
8
1
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKx View Post
Wow I love Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley but let's make one thing clear there is nothing similar about them and "how their lives ended". There's plenty to critisize Michael Jackson with but the reason he died was because of Dr. Conrad Murray and the reason he started doing the twisted behavior of being put under was because of Dr. Arnold Cline in the year 1996. Of course Dr. Arnold Cline has NO CHARGES press against him because supposedly no one could figure out to do so. You can see this guy with Michael getting pictures on the set of the making of the short promotional film (music video) for the song "Stranger In Moscow". By the time Michael passed Dr. Cline was all haggard looking and nasty (and he wasn't that old...and looks relatively good (per se, eh) in the behind the scenes clip). So obviously he had been doing stuff to himself as well. I would imagine one thing would have been pot as he apparently was open about the use of that as he would celebrate it with paraphanalia on a shirt he wore once.

Elvis on the other hand took LOADS of meds for little to no good reasons. Michael of course had his burns on the back of his head so he needed some sort or sorts of pain killers since 1984. Of course the haters since then and all the way up until now did NOTHING but make fun of him to no end for this and completely leave the fact out when they want to say he was like these other druggy loosers. Who knows what the hell the truth is with Michael Jackson in his personal life but he is one of the main reasons why I never did drugs or drank or smoked. That aspect of him was excersized as far back as 1984 when he ran the campaign with Nancy Reagan about encouraging people to not drink and drive. He allowed her to use the song "Beat It" for that.
With all of that said...and there's plenty more...I LOVE "Invincible", "HIStory: Past, Present, And Future - BOOK I", "Michael", and "Immortal".

I also saw him in real life at the funeral for James Brown two years before he died. It is a looong story but as a fan it was fascinating and mindblowing. Especially since he quit touring the U.S. back in 1989.
I disagree. Michael got hooked on drugs in 1984 ( the pain meds for the burns)You can blame all the doctors you want but he became a junkie just like Elvis. Elvis got hooked on speed (Bennies) in the Army to stay awake on watch in Germany (if they didnt they would fall asleep and get frostbite. And then Dr. Nick got him anything he wanted later......please don't excuse Michael's or any other entertainers behavior and put it off on the doctors. It was his choice to do those drugs and if it wasn't those two doctors it would have been someone else. I was a teenager of the late 70's and early 80's and Elvis was my hero and the reason I got into collecting LP's but I will not make excuses for him. Lisa Marie said it not long after Michael died that he told her (way back in 95) he was afraid he would end up like her dad. Also to sum up about people not helping them I like what Red & Sonny West said about Elvis. "How can you save a man from himself?" People did try and help Michael I am sure but in the end it was up to Michael. Sorry but I had to clairfy on Elvis.....

I think it's fantastic that the message you got from the "Don't do drugs program in the 80's" worked for you. If it reached one person then it was a success no?

Back to his music, is there anyone else here that thinks "Off The Wall" was his best album?

Last edited by Angel Eyes; 09-01-2012 at 07:00 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #33
Villiam Hayes Villiam Hayes is offline
Banned
 
Dec 2011
Norn Iron
15
437
5
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr1 View Post
I always hated his music.
Personal opinion of course but I always find it hard to believe that a real fan of music can hate all of anyone's records.
I would be pretty sure that most music fans worldwide could pick their favourite M.J. tune,whether from Off The Wall,Thriller,Bad,Dangerous,whatever.
I know I could from anyone living or dead at least some song's that I appreciate.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #34
bootsy bootsy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
bootsy's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
150
480
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
I know about Stevie and Michael's discography. Not sure why that was necessary. Anyway Stevie's body of work and Michael's body of work in terms of quality which is what I thought you meant are pretty much equal footing. Stevie putting out more albums doesn't make him better than MJ that's why you aren't making much sense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #35
bootsy bootsy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
bootsy's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
150
480
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Eyes View Post
Johnny it was meant as kinda a joke. I love Stevie Wonder, well at least up until about 1981 or so. But his 5 album run starting with 1972's Music of the Mind thru 1976's Songs in the Leys of Life will never be matched again I dont think. 5 Albums that are that great in a 5 year stretch I have only seen one other time and that was Rubber Soul thru Abbey Road.

But back to Michael he was the ultimate entertainer on Stage and in Video with (imho) 2 great Albums (Off the Wall and Thriller) and one really good album (Bad). His output suffered much in the way Elvis's did but instead of putting too much product out too fast MJ put out too little.
Bad is a great album IMO and Dangerous is a good album. Like I said above MJ didn't put out as many albums as a solo artist but what he did from Off The Wall to Dangerous is very good to great in terms of quality. You also have to factor in his work with the Jacksons/Jackson 5 as well. At least I am.

Last edited by bootsy; 09-01-2012 at 08:37 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #36
bootsy bootsy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
bootsy's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
150
480
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Eyes View Post

Back to his music, is there anyone else here that thinks "Off The Wall" was his best album?
You could make a strong argument that it is. This is sort of like which of Nolan's Batman Trilogy is his best. I say Batman Begins even though most are going to say TDK. I always feel like Off The Wall/Batman Begins are like that litle secret that fans know what really may be the best work but not the most popular. It's like Off THe Wall = Batman Begins, Thriller = TDK, Bad = TDKR. Sorry if you aren't a Batman fan you won't like what I just did but I see similarities in how people perceive those albums and those movies.

I personally feel Off The Wall is the most great but maybe could have been a song shorter whereas Thriller was just right in terms of length and quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #37
Villiam Hayes Villiam Hayes is offline
Banned
 
Dec 2011
Norn Iron
15
437
5
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
Bad is a great album too and Dangerous is a good album. Like I said above MJ didn't put out as many albums as a solo artist but what he did from Off The Wall to Dangerous is very good to great in terms of quality. You also have to factor in his work with the Jacksons/Jackson 5 as well. At least I am.
There are some classic tunes in amongst the J5 era,a couple of my faves are Music and me and Who's Lovin' you,a track that Smokey Robinson later jokingly stated "someone came up to me and said I didn't know you done Michael Jackson songs"
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #38
Angel Eyes Angel Eyes is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2012
Out in the fields around Maltlicky, Texas
4
463
8
1
7
Default

There are those who actually prefer the Jackson 5 era and you can count me as one of them. They were from 1970-1975 simply a great group. I am not so sure that leaving Mowtown was the right thing to do or not, maybe for the $ it was but things started to go downhill some.

Last edited by Angel Eyes; 09-01-2012 at 08:59 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #39
Villiam Hayes Villiam Hayes is offline
Banned
 
Dec 2011
Norn Iron
15
437
5
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Eyes View Post
There are those who actually prefer the Jackson 5 era and you can count me as one of them. They were from 1970-1975 simply a great group. I am not so sure that leaving Mowtown was the right thing to do or not, maybe for the $ it was but things started to go downhill some.
True but at that stage Michael had long become the shining light and was the only person in the group the world really wanted to see.
Their record sales had started slipping before they left motown,they were no longer the cute young boyband but mainly young men.
They moved I'm sure for money and left Jermaine behind but the band as a whole was really finished....Michael as a solo artist and the superb first album wasn't long away.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #40
Moviefan2k4 Moviefan2k4 is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Moviefan2k4's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX
304
3
2
Default

Well, I stopped by my local Half-Price Books today, and picked these up.



"Moonwalk" is a 3rd-edition copy from 1988, and "Magic and the Madness" is the expanded edition from 2010.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:38 AM.