Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
1 hr ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Drive (Blu-ray)
$31.99
1 hr ago
Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals

Old 02-13-2021, 10:38 PM   #4201
Power Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baguda View Post
Thanks, Dollar Colonel and Flamed Liquid, for the theories. I didn't even factor in the pandemic because I've never been scared to leave my house because of it (neither are the handful of other people I regularly talk to). In fact, I'd say that stores (Sam's Club, Costco, Target, Home Depot, Lowe's and Walmart) are far more crowded in my area now than before the pandemic. So a lot of people aren't scared.

However, I've heard many stories about people cowering in fear not leaving their houses for weeks or months and ordering all their food for takeout or delivery. So I suppose the pandemic may be the biggest reason why so much good stuff is still available at FV vs. many years ago nothing good and cheap remained below $4 at the Blockbuster or Hollywood Video liquidations I visited.

In 2019 and early 2020, when there were new Dollar Tree movie waves I usually had to compete with 1-2 other collectors waiting for the doors to open at 9 AM and we were fighting over Blurays like it was Black Friday. Since the pandemic started, that hasn't happened any more. In fact, I'm usually the only one checking movies. Of course the fact recent DT waves are mostly full of junk and few Blurays (at least in the western US) surely also contributes.

I guess it's all about timing. I'm so jelly of the screaming deals some of you are finding at FV. If there were FV near me, I would've been all over them. Tenet Bluray or 4K for $1.50? Most likely I'll have to pay $10 for the 4K when it finally goes on sale (a likely BB BF title).
It was the bluray for $1.50. But still thats a popular movie and very new.
They had about 20 4k titles for $3.50 too.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:46 AM   #4202

Jan 2020
Madison

Not for a lack of trying. Just picked anything I didn't already have that might be OK too. Lack of selection, quality, and sales left me with this purchase. Not complaining too loudly, just sort of jealous of some pickups the others here found. I got good packaging this time.
$43 with tax bought me the 19 titles below.

4K With Slipcovers

Blu-ray With Slipcovers

Blu-ray With Original Coverart

Last edited by 314carpenter; 02-18-2021 at 03:54 AM.
Thanks given by:
FlamedLiquid (02-18-2021), Jennifer Lawrence Fan (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 03:50 AM   #4203
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2017
Vacationland
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

I don't know what it is lately, but I have had several retailers generate shipping labels but never actually sending it. I'm still waiting on a Family Video order from Jan 1 ("shipped" 1/21") and their webform for help is nonresponsive.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:43 AM   #4204

Mar 2017
Texas

2 Fridays ago I was told the 21st was the last day. We had bad weather (so bad that my work actually canceled work for everyone for 5 straight days), so I wondered if they were open this past week and maybe would extend a couple of days. This weird week of work where they made me work Sunday for the first time ever confused me and I was thinking the 21st was today, Monday. Called first and it was off the hook. Thought they might be too busy, so I went on anyway. They were totally cleaned out and closed. I could see parts of shelves inside a massive 6 foot tall dumpster. Out of curiosity I wondered what was in there. Looks like they trashed any shelves no one wanted. Saw some of the empty rental cases. I didn't understand why they didn't let people get those for free when they bought something. I thought they might have planned to sell them in bundles. Don't know if they did or not. I remember Hasting's having tons of them and they did sell them in bundles, but I doubt they sold them all. FV didn't have any cases for sale 2 Fridays ago and I would figure they had to have quite a bit at that point.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:04 AM   #4205
Power Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdl797 View Post
2 Fridays ago I was told the 21st was the last day. We had bad weather (so bad that my work actually canceled work for everyone for 5 straight days), so I wondered if they were open this past week and maybe would extend a couple of days. This weird week of work where they made me work Sunday for the first time ever confused me and I was thinking the 21st was today, Monday. Called first and it was off the hook. Thought they might be too busy, so I went on anyway. They were totally cleaned out and closed. I could see parts of shelves inside a massive 6 foot tall dumpster. Out of curiosity I wondered what was in there. Looks like they trashed any shelves no one wanted. Saw some of the empty rental cases. I didn't understand why they didn't let people get those for free when they bought something. I thought they might have planned to sell them in bundles. Don't know if they did or not. I remember Hasting's having tons of them and they did sell them in bundles, but I doubt they sold them all. FV didn't have any cases for sale 2 Fridays ago and I would figure they had to have quite a bit at that point.
One of the stores I was at literally had a wall of just empty cases for free. Just because something is free doesnt mean it will get picked up. And rental cases are ugly.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:22 PM   #4206

Mar 2017
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamedLiquid View Post
One of the stores I was at literally had a wall of just empty cases for free. Just because something is free doesnt mean it will get picked up. And rental cases are ugly.
A case is a case and would keep my disc from being damaged, so I would take some for free.

The first week after they announced their closing I picked up The Irishman Criterion 2 DVD. I think it was $7 or 8.99 at that point. It was pretty much mint with the original case in great condition and the booklet - the movie had not been out long at that point. They had some of the blu-ray cases there, but they were checked out. I thought about waiting to try and get a BR copy, but there was no trace of The Irishman at all the following week. When the closure was announced they said a lot of people came and rented stuff knowing they wouldn't have to return. I don't really get it since they would not get the actual case and artwork.

I wonder what FV is doing with the movies that don't sell - trying to get FYE, Half Price Books or McKay's to buy them in cheap bulk? A short look around their website seems to only show New stock. I don't remember if I heard what happened to stuff left at Hasting's when it closed.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #4207
Power Member

Jan 2012

God I miss Hastings.
Thanks given by:
Doc Moonlight (03-06-2021), Dollar Colonel (03-06-2021), TwinCitiesBluFan (03-07-2021), wnicholas76 (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 07:06 PM   #4208

Feb 2019

I ordered Ingmar Bergman Cinema from them last week on sale for a few dollars more than what it would cost me at Barnes come July and it arrived today and had a very large and deep scratch on the front artwork. I emailed CS but I don't know what they can do as it's Out of Stock now and they shipped it in a box the same size that was was almost falling off when it arrived.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:43 PM   #4209
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Memphis, TN (for now...)

Quote:
God I miss Hastings.
Same. I also miss Suncoast and Media Play as well.
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (03-07-2021), FlamedLiquid (03-06-2021), TwinCitiesBluFan (03-07-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 09:36 PM   #4210
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2017
Vacationland
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Quote:
God I miss Hastings.
It was my gateway to buying physical media. I'd bought some DVDs occasionally, but GoHastings had great sales on blu-ray boxsets.
Thanks given by:
FlamedLiquid (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 10:32 PM   #4211
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011

Quote:
God I miss Hastings.
I'd never been to a store, but used to order from them online constantly. You could get DVDs for $1.96 shipped to home, which I have no idea how they could afford to do that.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:13 PM   #4212
Power Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorBlu View Post
I'd never been to a store, but used to order from them online constantly. You could get DVDs for $1.96 shipped to home, which I have no idea how they could afford to do that.
Same. No stores near me but loved shoppinv their used deals online.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:15 PM   #4213
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Maybe that was the price of media mail back then? I'm sure they got a discount for shipping so many packages. Media mail is still cheap but if we're going back a couple of years I'd imagine it were even cheaper.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:21 PM   #4214
Special Member

May 2013
Harrisonburg, VA (Shenandoah Valley)

Quote:
Apparently, they couldn't.
Thanks given by:
bigjim25 (03-07-2021), InuYashaCrusade (03-06-2021), judremy (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 03:06 AM   #4215
Power Member

Jan 2011

Hastings scratched the itch for an actual store but Media Play was the best.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (03-07-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #4216

Mar 2017
Texas

Quote:
I loved going to Hasting's, but I don't know that I bought that much used stuff because they kept it at a premium. I think that's why Dollar Tree having brand new movies for $1 made me go nuts and buy a ton because I was so conditioned to waiting for any kind of Buy 1 Get 1 sale. I also would wait for Blockbuster ex-rentals to be for sale for a while and they would gradually get to the cheaper price point and I could get some of the more art-y films that the average person would not buy. When I found out Big Lots had cheap DVDs (mid 2000's?) that was an eyeopener, too, because they would have new copies cheaper than Hasting's used copies.

There was a time when I would call around to Best Buy, Hasting's, Circuit City, maybe Target to see who had the best prices on new release Tuesday. Then they sometimes all had different exclusives, so you would also have to weigh which version you wanted. There was one guy who worked at Hasting's for probably 20 years and I called him many times asking him if they had something in stock and for how much.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals