Best iTunes Music Deals


Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Chicago: The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning (iTunes)
$6.99
5 hrs ago
Phil Collins: Love Songs (iTunes)
$6.99
5 hrs ago
Coldplay: X & Y (iTunes)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Coldplay: Mylo Xyloto (iTunes)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Bill Withers: Lean On Me: The Best of Bill Withers (iTunes)
$6.99
5 hrs ago
Pantera: The Best of Pantera: Far Beyond the Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits! (iTunes)
$6.99
5 hrs ago
Black Sabbath: Greatest Hits 1970-1978 (iTunes)
$6.99
5 hrs ago
Aretha Franklin: 30 Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99
5 hrs ago
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99
5 hrs ago
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99
5 hrs ago
The Goo Goo Dolls: Greatest Hits Volume One - The Singles (iTunes)
$6.99
5 hrs ago
Madonna: The Immaculate Collection (iTunes)
$6.99
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #1
Ray Jackson Ray Jackson is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Ray Jackson's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA
62
416
9
72
149
Default Most underrated hip hop album of the 90s?

I think most reasonable people can agree that the 1990s was the golden era for hip hop.

It's been mostly downhill ever since.

Ever since seeing Straight Outta Compton I've been listening to nothing but old NWA records and Ice Cube/Dr. Dre/Eazy E solo records. Two days ago I listened to The Predator for the first time in maybe 20 years.

It blew me away.

I think you could make a compelling argument that this was the best work of Cube's illustrious career.

...and what a career it's been.

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:18 PM   #2
Ray Jackson Ray Jackson is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Ray Jackson's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA
62
416
9
72
149
Default

Don't be scared homie.

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:26 AM   #3
bootsy bootsy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
bootsy's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
150
480
2
1
Default

YEah The Predator is one for sure. A great album as far as I'm concerned.

Common - Resurrection
Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
Pretty much any GangStarr and The Roots album in the 90s
Prince Paul - A Prince Among Thieves
MF Doom - Operation Doomsday
Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star
Black Sheep - A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - I Wish My Brother George Was Here
DJ Quik - Quik Is The Name
Nice & Smooth - Ain't A Damn Thing Changed
Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Live & Let Die
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & The Soul Brother
Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
Digable Planets - Blowout Comb
KRS-One - Return Of The Boom Bap
Casual - Fear Itself
Jeru The Damaja - The Sun Rises In The East
Goodie Mob - Soul Food
Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst

There are some more but those were ones I can think of off the top of my head.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jd_from_da_80s (02-23-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
Ray Jackson Ray Jackson is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Ray Jackson's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA
62
416
9
72
149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
YEah The Predator is one for sure. A great album as far as I'm concerned.

Common - Resurrection
Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
Pretty much any GangStarr and The Roots album in the 90s
Prince Paul - A Prince Among Thieves
MF Doom - Operation Doomsday
Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star
Black Sheep - A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - I Wish My Brother George Was Here
DJ Quik - Quik Is The Name
Nice & Smooth - Ain't A Damn Thing Changed
Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Live & Let Die
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & The Soul Brother
Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
Digable Planets - Blowout Comb
KRS-One - Return Of The Boom Bap
Casual - Fear Itself
Jeru The Damaja - The Sun Rises In The East
Goodie Mob - Soul Food
Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst

There are some more but those were ones I can think of off the top of my head.
I think you and I may be the only two real hip hop fans on this forum Bootsy.

...we're behind enemy lines.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bootsy (02-19-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 10:40 PM   #5
DragonOfTheBlackPool DragonOfTheBlackPool is offline
Power Member
 
DragonOfTheBlackPool's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
I don't know where you get underrated from, but this album was pretty big in the 90's (so was Kill At Will, Death Certificate, and Lethal Injection). A new Ice Cube album was a pretty big deal back then.

A few off the top of my head that have not been mentioned....

Ras Kass - Soul on Ice
Nine - Cloud Nine
Redman - Muddy Waters
House of Pain - Rise Again
Flatlinerz - U.S.A.
Funkdoobiest - Which Doobie U B
and the most underrated group of the 90's ..... The Alkaholiks. All of their albums are underrated IMO. Why they weren't more successful baffles me. 21 & Over and Coast 2 Coast are two of the best albums to come out during the 90's.

Last edited by DragonOfTheBlackPool; 02-18-2016 at 11:43 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:51 PM   #6
Ray Jackson Ray Jackson is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Ray Jackson's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA
62
416
9
72
149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
YEah The Predator is one for sure. A great album as far as I'm concerned.

Common - Resurrection
Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
Pretty much any GangStarr and The Roots album in the 90s
Prince Paul - A Prince Among Thieves
MF Doom - Operation Doomsday
Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star
Black Sheep - A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - I Wish My Brother George Was Here
DJ Quik - Quik Is The Name
Nice & Smooth - Ain't A Damn Thing Changed
Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Live & Let Die
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & The Soul Brother
Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
Digable Planets - Blowout Comb
KRS-One - Return Of The Boom Bap
Casual - Fear Itself
Jeru The Damaja - The Sun Rises In The East
Goodie Mob - Soul Food
Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst

There are some more but those were ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Man that Prince Paul CD is pretty expensive.

...yeah I still listen to CDs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:54 PM   #7
Ray Jackson Ray Jackson is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Ray Jackson's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA
62
416
9
72
149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOfTheBlackPool View Post
I don't know where you get underrated from, but this album was pretty big in the 90's (so was Kill At Will, Death Certificate, and Lethal Injection). A new Ice Cube album was a pretty big deal back then.

A few off the top of my head that have not been mentioned....

Ras Kass - Soul on Ice
Nine - Cloud Nine
Redman - Muddy Waters
House of Pain - Rise Again
Flatlinerz - U.S.A.
Funkdoobiest - Which Doobie U B
and the most underrated group of the 90's ..... The Alkaholiks. All of their albums are underrated IMO. Why they weren't more successful baffles me. 21 & Over and Coast 2 Coast are two of the best albums to come out during the 90's.
Underrated, under appreciated...whatever you want to call it.

I remember it being popular back in the day, but I don't think it gets the love it deserves 20+ years later.

I think it's better than Amerikkka's Most Wanted and Death Certificate.

I think it's as good as The Chronic...if not better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:27 AM   #8
DragonOfTheBlackPool DragonOfTheBlackPool is offline
Power Member
 
DragonOfTheBlackPool's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
Underrated, under appreciated...whatever you want to call it.

I remember it being popular back in the day, but I don't think it gets the love it deserves 20+ years later.

I think it's better than Amerikkka's Most Wanted and Death Certificate.

I think it's as good as The Chronic...if not better.
I agree.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:43 AM   #9
The Great Owl The Great Owl is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
The Great Owl's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
Georgia
370
5024
31
1
255
5
Default

OutKast - Aquemini

(except this stretches the meaning of "underrated")
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (02-19-2016), bootsy (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 01:22 AM   #10
Ray Jackson Ray Jackson is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Ray Jackson's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA
62
416
9
72
149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
OutKast - Aquemini

(except this stretches the meaning of "underrated")
One of the all-time greats for sure.

...it's in my top ten.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:48 AM   #11
bootsy bootsy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
bootsy's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
150
480
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOfTheBlackPool View Post
I don't know where you get underrated from, but this album was pretty big in the 90's (so was Kill At Will, Death Certificate, and Lethal Injection). A new Ice Cube album was a pretty big deal back then.

A few off the top of my head that have not been mentioned....

Ras Kass - Soul on Ice
Nine - Cloud Nine
Redman - Muddy Waters
House of Pain - Rise Again
Flatlinerz - U.S.A.
Funkdoobiest - Which Doobie U B
and the most underrated group of the 90's ..... The Alkaholiks. All of their albums are underrated IMO. Why they weren't more successful baffles me. 21 & Over and Coast 2 Coast are two of the best albums to come out during the 90's.
I think he means albums that aren't considered great or classic albums by an artist but should be. That Ice Cube album fits in that category. Most people mention Amerikkka's Most Wanted or Death Certificate as his great classic album but The Predator is right there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:49 AM   #12
bootsy bootsy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
bootsy's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
150
480
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
I think you and I may be the only two real hip hop fans on this forum Bootsy.

...we're behind enemy lines.
There are some others at least there used to be. We had plenty of hip-hop sections on this site but I think those people either aren't on here anymore or just kind of stopped posting about hip-hop unfortunately.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #13
Nuck Horris Nuck Horris is offline
Special Member
 
Nuck Horris's Avatar
 
Dec 2015
Valkenvania
18
924
487
126
21
Default

[Show spoiler]

^THE KING

I would've included:
Canibus - Can-i-bus
Shaq Fu: Da Return
Above the Rim Soundtrack
Friday Soundtrack
But I didn't see the videos up...

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #14
DragonOfTheBlackPool DragonOfTheBlackPool is offline
Power Member
 
DragonOfTheBlackPool's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck Horris View Post
[Show spoiler]

Chino XL Here to Save You All Full Album - YouTube ^THE KING
KRSONE Channel Live Station Identification Full Album - YouTube
Kurupt - Tha Streetz Iz a Mutha (Full Album) 1999 - YouTube
Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs (Full Album) 1999 HQ - YouTube
M.O.P. - TO THE DEATH (FULL ALBUM) - YouTube
Scarface The Untouchable - Full Album 1997 - YouTube
Lost Boyz - Legal Drug Money (Full Album) HQ - YouTube
Dr. Dooom - First Come, First Served (1999) [Full Album] - YouTube
Kool Keith - Sex Style (1997) [full album] - YouTube
KOOL KEITH-MATTHEW (FULL ALBUM) - YouTube
GZA - Liquid Swords (Full Album) - YouTube
Keith Murray - The Most Beautifullest Thing In This World [Full Album] - YouTube
Killah Priest - Heavy Mental - [Full Album 1998] - YouTube
PSYCHO REALM - PSYCHO REALM (1997) FULL ALBUM - YouTube
Muggs - Presents...The Soul Assassins (Chapter One) (complete) ripped by stellar - YouTube
PETE ROCK & C.L. SMOOTH-THE MAIN INGREDIENT (FULL ALBUM) - YouTube
CRAIG MACK-PROJECT: FUNK DA WORLD (FULL ALBUM) - YouTube
Funkdoobiest - Which Doobie U B? - Full Album - YouTube
Kool G Rap - 4, 5, 6 (Full album) - YouTube
Tha Dogg Pound- Dogg Food (Full Album) - YouTube
FU SCHNICKENS-NERVOUS BREAKDOWN (FULL ALBUM) - YouTube
Grand Puba - 2000 [ FULL ALBUM ] - YouTube
Kwest Tha Madd Lad - This Is My First Album (Full Album) - YouTube
SADAT X-WILD COWBOYS (WILD COWBOYS) - YouTube
Souls Of Mischief - 93 'til Infinity (1993) Full Album - YouTube
Company Flow | Funcrusher Plus | Full Album - YouTube
Organized Konfusion ‎– Stress: The Extinction Agenda (Full Album) - YouTube
Ras Kass - Soul On Ice [Full Album] - YouTube
La the Darkman - Heist Of The Century (full album) - YouTube
Das EFX " Hold It Down " ( Full Album) - YouTube
Inspectah Deck - Uncontrolled Substance - FULL ALBUM - YouTube
AZ - Doe Or Die (Full Album)1995 - YouTube
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous (Full Album-1080p-Full HD) - YouTube
Judgment Night - OST - YouTube
Murder Was The Case 1994 Soundtrack - YouTube

I would've included:
Canibus - Can-i-bus
Shaq Fu: Da Return
Above the Rim Soundtrack
Friday Soundtrack
But I didn't see the videos up...

A lot of great albums in there. All of Chino XL's albums are underrated.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Lacit170 (07-21-2016), Nuck Horris (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #15
Ray Jackson Ray Jackson is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Ray Jackson's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA
62
416
9
72
149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck Horris View Post
[Show spoiler]

Chino XL Here to Save You All Full Album - YouTube ^THE KING
KRSONE Channel Live Station Identification Full Album - YouTube
Kurupt - Tha Streetz Iz a Mutha (Full Album) 1999 - YouTube
Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs (Full Album) 1999 HQ - YouTube
M.O.P. - TO THE DEATH (FULL ALBUM) - YouTube
Scarface The Untouchable - Full Album 1997 - YouTube
Lost Boyz - Legal Drug Money (Full Album) HQ - YouTube
Dr. Dooom - First Come, First Served (1999) [Full Album] - YouTube
Kool Keith - Sex Style (1997) [full album] - YouTube
KOOL KEITH-MATTHEW (FULL ALBUM) - YouTube
GZA - Liquid Swords (Full Album) - YouTube
Keith Murray - The Most Beautifullest Thing In This World [Full Album] - YouTube
Killah Priest - Heavy Mental - [Full Album 1998] - YouTube
PSYCHO REALM - PSYCHO REALM (1997) FULL ALBUM - YouTube
Muggs - Presents...The Soul Assassins (Chapter One) (complete) ripped by stellar - YouTube
PETE ROCK & C.L. SMOOTH-THE MAIN INGREDIENT (FULL ALBUM) - YouTube
CRAIG MACK-PROJECT: FUNK DA WORLD (FULL ALBUM) - YouTube
Funkdoobiest - Which Doobie U B? - Full Album - YouTube
Kool G Rap - 4, 5, 6 (Full album) - YouTube
Tha Dogg Pound- Dogg Food (Full Album) - YouTube
FU SCHNICKENS-NERVOUS BREAKDOWN (FULL ALBUM) - YouTube
Grand Puba - 2000 [ FULL ALBUM ] - YouTube
Kwest Tha Madd Lad - This Is My First Album (Full Album) - YouTube
SADAT X-WILD COWBOYS (WILD COWBOYS) - YouTube
Souls Of Mischief - 93 'til Infinity (1993) Full Album - YouTube
Company Flow | Funcrusher Plus | Full Album - YouTube
Organized Konfusion ‎– Stress: The Extinction Agenda (Full Album) - YouTube
Ras Kass - Soul On Ice [Full Album] - YouTube
La the Darkman - Heist Of The Century (full album) - YouTube
Das EFX " Hold It Down " ( Full Album) - YouTube
Inspectah Deck - Uncontrolled Substance - FULL ALBUM - YouTube
AZ - Doe Or Die (Full Album)1995 - YouTube
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous (Full Album-1080p-Full HD) - YouTube
Judgment Night - OST - YouTube
Murder Was The Case 1994 Soundtrack - YouTube

I would've included:
Canibus - Can-i-bus
Shaq Fu: Da Return
Above the Rim Soundtrack
Friday Soundtrack
But I didn't see the videos up...

Some great music there bro.

But a warning to anyone clicking on the spoiler tag:

...it takes about two days to load.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bootsy (02-20-2016), Lacit170 (07-21-2016), Nuck Horris (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #16
Kenshiro 26 Kenshiro 26 is offline
Member
 
Oct 2010
In the Singularity of a Black Hole
59
59
Default

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #17
Kenshiro 26 Kenshiro 26 is offline
Member
 
Oct 2010
In the Singularity of a Black Hole
59
59
Default

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Malv1 (04-02-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #18
Nuck Horris Nuck Horris is offline
Special Member
 
Nuck Horris's Avatar
 
Dec 2015
Valkenvania
18
924
487
126
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
Some great music there bro.

But a warning to anyone clicking on the spoiler tag:

...it takes about two days to load.
It only takes me 5 seconds to load...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #19
Kenshiro 26 Kenshiro 26 is offline
Member
 
Oct 2010
In the Singularity of a Black Hole
59
59
Default

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #20
Nuck Horris Nuck Horris is offline
Special Member
 
Nuck Horris's Avatar
 
Dec 2015
Valkenvania
18
924
487
126
21
Default


Last edited by Nuck Horris; 02-20-2016 at 02:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:46 AM.