Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Chicago: The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning (iTunes)
$6.99

Phil Collins: Love Songs (iTunes)
$6.99

Coldplay: X & Y (iTunes)
$4.99

Coldplay: Mylo Xyloto (iTunes)
$4.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

Black Sabbath: Greatest Hits 1970-1978 (iTunes)
$6.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

Bill Withers: Lean On Me: The Best of Bill Withers (iTunes)
$6.99

Madonna: The Immaculate Collection (iTunes)
$6.99

Pantera: The Best of Pantera: Far Beyond the Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits! (iTunes)
$6.99

The Goo Goo Dolls: Greatest Hits Volume One - The Singles (iTunes)
$6.99

Aretha Franklin: 30 Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles

Old 12-09-2016, 12:28 AM   #1
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!
Default Your Discoveries

What are some songs or singers you have discovered recently? Actually, it doesn't even need to be recent. I am currently listening to Lana Del Rey and she has several good songs. I might have heard some of her stuff on the radio before, not knowing it was her, but I'm not sure.

Of course you can use this thread to suggest artists and songs for others to check out. I'm going to have to get better acquainted with Ray LaMontagne's music. I first heard his Jolene during the end credits of The Town and then I found one of his songs on the Bad Moms soundtrack. I had heard it maybe once or twice but didn't realize it was him. I'm looking forward to hearing more from him
Old 12-09-2016, 01:24 AM   #2
Power Member

Oct 2012
East Tennessee

My biggest musical discovery was made just over a year ago. The sad thing is that its a singer who isn't here anymore. October 6th of last year is when they went forward and on the day after when I saw the news about their going, I remembered them from back when I was still just a kid. Anyway, I went looking for what I remembered them singing. Well now I have just about every song that they put out there and I have not been able to stop listening to their sweet voice. I watch what I have found of them at the You Tube website as much as I can too.......If only I had discovered my late beautiful precious Billy Joe Royal sooner.......I would've asked him to marry me.

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

P.S. I would've been wife #4 for him. Why are there three divorces in his past? Well sadly with him being gone, that is a question that only them three ladies can answer. (Wondering what their problem with him was)
Old 12-09-2016, 06:40 AM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!

Ha, I thought you were going to talk about discovering James Otto I have not heard of Billy Joe Royal. I had to look him up and he kind of reminds me of...I kind of want to say Tom Cruise. It seems like there is someone else that he reminds me of but I'm not sure. I found on wiki that he did pass away on Oct 6th last year like you said but what did you mean by "they went forward" and "the news about their going". Who is they? Did someone else pass away the same day as Billy? And how did you discover his music just last year?

I discovered a few songs when I was in Ireland back in '13. I don't think I had heard Macklemore's Same Love or Lorde's Royals before that trip. I was hooked on Same Love right away but Royals took me awhile to get used to it. I think Mumford's I Will Wait was pretty big then and I just added it to my iTunes a couple weeks ago. My biggest discoveries were Galway Girl, Wagon Wheel and Bastille's Pompeii. I found WW and GG easily but searching for the wrong lyrics for Pompeii made things difficult It wasn't until I just happened to hear the song at Roundtable that I was able to track it down.

And then last year, on my vacation to Germany and Austria, I discovered Robin Schulz's (German DJ) Headlights and Birdy's Wings. I heard both songs on the radio in the rental car. I might have heard each song at least twice. I was able to remember just a few words to Headlight so I found it quickly using google but I was not able to remember the lyrics to Wings. I was back at the hotel in Leipzig and I was googling and checking the top 100 songs on iTunes and using YouTube. Finally I see the video for Wings on the sidebar and I gave it a click and that was it! It's fun to go on a trip somewhere and bring some music back with you.

Well my apologies for such a long post and thank you to anyone that actually took the time to read it
Old 12-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2012

The National. Love their sound and their lyrics.
Thanks given by:
civiclx (12-10-2016), kylec123 (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 01:46 AM   #5
Power Member

Oct 2012
East Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by civiclx View Post
Ha, I thought you were going to talk about discovering James Otto I have not heard of Billy Joe Royal. I had to look him up and he kind of reminds me of...I kind of want to say Tom Cruise. It seems like there is someone else that he reminds me of but I'm not sure. I found on wiki that he did pass away on Oct 6th last year like you said but what did you mean by "they went forward" and "the news about their going". Who is they? Did someone else pass away the same day as Billy? And how did you discover his music just last year?
I discovered James in 2008. The reason why I say "They went forward." is because I hate to say that they died when anyone does and no I don't know of anyone else going on October 6th last year. I knew a little of his material and after hearing it again, I went looking for the rest which is what I discovered. I just wish that I had found it sooner because in my opinion, I missed a lot.

God bless you and his family and James always!!!

Holly
Thanks given by:
civiclx (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 03:23 AM   #6
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!

I haven't heard of The National Jett. I'll have to check them out. I'm assuming it's a them

I got you Holly. There's some music that I wish I had discovered a little sooner. I don't know why it matters to me, but I kind of wish I had discovered Coldplay a little sooner than I did. The Scientist is the song that introduced me to them. They came out while I was in the Marines and I was pretty much just into hip hop at that time. My newest discovery was just today. Macklemore performed on the Ellen show and sang a wonderful song. Reminds me a lot of Same Love with the same kind of message. I'm not even sure the name of it and I don't really remember the lyrics so I'm going to google and see what I can come up with. It shouldn't be too hard to find at all. Actually, I just opened a tab for YouTube so I'll just use it to see if I can find the Macklemore song. lol yes I can't even finish a reply without checking other sites Ok, the song is called Wednesday Morning.

One of my Germany songs

Last edited by civiclx; 12-10-2016 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:34 AM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

I'm always discovering something.

One of my favorite artists is a dude named Klayton--his main act is Celldweller, which I've followed since 2003 or so. Recently, he's rereleased his older work, when he headed the band Circle of Dust. Most of that is new to my ears, and I can dig the sound of it.

Klayton's also spearheaded a new band (Scandroid) with an 80s New Wave sound with sci-fi lyrics that conveys its own narrative. I think it's a decent and accessible album, easy recommendation for anybody who wants this kind of sound or likes electronica. Includes a decent cover of Tears for Fears' "Shout" (around the 16 minute mark).

Last edited by Al_The_Strange; 12-10-2016 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:57 AM   #8
Special Member

Sep 2015
Texas

I found out about this Norwegian band called the Hedvig Mollestad Trio recently. Hedvig is a fantastic guitar player.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #9
Power Member

Dec 2015
TN, USA

Posting to say The National is one of my favorites. My favorite records are Boxer and High Violet.
Thanks given by:
Jett Rink (12-10-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 03:42 AM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!

I also recently discovered George Ezra. I have his Budapest in my iTunes and I'm thinking I must have gotten it when it was a free single of the week. I heard it the other day when messing with iTunes. I might have played it to check out songs I wasn't familiar with or maybe it was just the next song to come up. I had heard it once or twice before. With liking that song and the song Blame It On Me, I'm interested in checking out more of his work.
What about songs you have discovered after owning an album for a long time? Perhaps you are like me and only play the songs you are familiar with so some might have slipped under the radar.

Discovered this song from Mazzy Star the other day.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:37 AM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
California
Thumbs up

Made two discoveries I really liked this year, within the last couple of months. The first is Carpenter Brut, a French electronic artist. Strangely enough, I discovered him through Imgur of all places. This was the first piece of his I heard, and I loved it.

The second, more recently, is a duo named Muddy Magnolias, which is a blues/southern rock/country mix. Just released their first album this past October. I heard their song "Devil's Teeth" on SiriusXM's The Spectrum. This is a live version that I enjoy even more than the album cut. These ladies are amazing.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:09 AM   #12
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!

Going to have to come back and check out all these artists. Muddy Magnolias sounds like something I might like

I'm reading an article on MSN right now about entertainers that had the best and worst year. Most of the names I have heard before but I don't know anything about. Funny because I'm bouncing back and forth between sites and I paused at Andy Grammer (Bad year) and went to google to search some lyrics I heard, "gotta keep your head up" and it turns out, it's Andy Grammer.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:12 AM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!

Rather than email this article to myself so that I can come back to it, I'm just going to stick it here
http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/galle...nb7Kz#image=24
Old 12-14-2016, 02:39 AM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009

Recently picked up the House MD soundtrack. Maybe a little soft for my tastes, but I primarily wanted this song, which I think is a nice cover:

Also been digging the Bill & Ted soundtracks lately. Kinda knew one or two songs before, but only got the CDs within the last month or so. Today, I just couldn't stop listening to these two tracks. I think they'll be new favorites:

Old 12-15-2016, 03:40 AM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
Made two discoveries I really liked this year, within the last couple of months.

The second, more recently, is a duo named Muddy Magnolias, which is a blues/southern rock/country mix. Just released their first album this past October. I heard their song "Devil's Teeth" on SiriusXM's The Spectrum. This is a live version that I enjoy even more than the album cut. These ladies are amazing.
Ha, I'm at Starbucks right now and I finally pay attention to the song on the radio (was watching a YT video) and I go to google the lyrics "tell me what happened to this world, I just don't know anymore" and I find that it's Brother, What Happened? What a coincidence! You must know this song?
Old 12-30-2016, 12:17 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2016
Quixote's Coop at Bucketheadland
Default Stewart Lindsey: Spitballin'

A recent discovery for me. Former Eurythmics songwriter, arranger and guitarist Dave Stewart & Louisiana singer Thomas Lindsey.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:42 AM   #17
Special Member

Sep 2014
Brazil

Joy Division, for sure, is one of my biggest discoveries.
I knew Love Will Tear Us Apart from a few years ago (2012, I think) and remember I used to think it was a cool song, nothing more. I also read about Ian's death at that time, but didn't searched any other song.
A few months ago, I was watching House of Wax and then New Dawn Fades was playing on the ending credits, immediately I recognized that voice and said to myself: ''oh yeah, it's Joy Division, I saw their name on the soundtrack list''. I remember thinking ''holy f*ck, this song's really great''. Then I downloaded their albums and that was it, the beginning of my love story (hahaha) with Joy Division. Since then, they became my favorite band.
Also, New Dawn Fades is my favorite JD song.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Smile

While watching the Broadchurch series this hauntingly beautiful music inspired me to search out this fantastic young Icelandic composer lafur Arnalds. I've purchased everything he has done up to now!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDQ...HBzVA/featured
Thanks given by:
Jett Rink (04-29-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Since Channel 4's excellent Crazyhead used Kill Of The Night as its theme I've become a fan of Gin Wigmore, very distinctive voice with hints of Amy Winehouse and Bon Scott

Thanks given by:
IronWaffle (01-05-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 04:17 AM   #20
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009

I've recently become quite smitten with this track:

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles