Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Chicago: The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning (iTunes)
$6.99

Phil Collins: Love Songs (iTunes)
$6.99

Coldplay: X & Y (iTunes)
$4.99

Coldplay: Mylo Xyloto (iTunes)
$4.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

Black Sabbath: Greatest Hits 1970-1978 (iTunes)
$6.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

Bill Withers: Lean On Me: The Best of Bill Withers (iTunes)
$6.99

Madonna: The Immaculate Collection (iTunes)
$6.99

Pantera: The Best of Pantera: Far Beyond the Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits! (iTunes)
$6.99

The Goo Goo Dolls: Greatest Hits Volume One - The Singles (iTunes)
$6.99

Aretha Franklin: 30 Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:44 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
Maine
Default Folk Music

One genre I somehow missed!! Love Bob Dylan, and a lot of early blues artists are considered folk musicians, but I already have a blues mix (at some point I'll do a Vol. 2 of that). I think I'm going to be going for some of the lesser known artists, with a few biggies thrown in that I don't already have compilations or collections of. Here's my list

Alan Lomax Recordings Of Folk Artists
Ani Difranco
Anthology Of American Folk Music
Bert Jansch
Bill Morrissey
Billy Bragg
Bruce Cockburn
Buffy Sainte-Marie
Burl Ives
Colin Raymond
Carolina Chocolate Drops
Carter Family
Conor Oberst
Country Joe McDonald
Dave Alvin
Dave Van Ronk
David Olney
Doc Watson
Donal Hinley
Elizabeth Cotten
Fairport Convention
Fotheringay
Fred Neil
Gillian Welch
Greg Brown
Ian Tyson
Inside Llewyn Davis Soundtrack
Iron & Wine
Jackson C. Frank
Janis Ian
Jean Ritchie
Joan Baez
John Fahey
John Martyn
John Prine
John Renbourne
Joni Mitchell
Josh White
Josh Ritter
Judy Collins
Kate & Anna McGarrigle
Kate Wolf
Leo Kottle
Leonard Cohen
Loudon Wainwright III
Magna Carta
Marissa Nadler
Nanci Griffith
Odetta
Pete Seeger
Peter, Paul & Mary
Phil Ochs
Ralph McTell
Ramblin' Jack Elliot
Richie Havens
Ron Sexsmith
Roy Harper
Stan Rogers
Steeleye Span
Steve Earle
The Incredible String Band
The Kingston Trio
The Pentangle
Tim Buckley
Tom Paxton
Tom Rush
Tom Waits
Townes Van Zant
VA-American Epic
VA-Another Day-Celebrating The Music Of The Llewyn Davis Soundtrack
Woodie Guthrie

Last edited by bipbop13; 12-09-2017 at 03:30 AM.
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (08-13-2017), IronWaffle (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 01:09 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
Maine

well, thats what I came up with. Let me know if there are any glaring omissions. Some folk artists I have already made compilations of, so I'll let you know if you suggest one I've done that with.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Bella Hardy
Kathryn Tickell
Mike Harding - best known for comedy but a great singer, Bomber's Moon, The Accrington Pals, These Poor Hands, superb covers of The January Man and And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda. His show's well worth listening to http://www.mikehardingfolkshow.com/
Thanks given by:
bipbop13 (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRats View Post
Bella Hardy
Kathryn Tickell
Mike Harding - best known for comedy but a great singer, Bomber's Moon, The Accrington Pals, These Poor Hands, superb covers of The January Man and And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda. His show's well worth listening to http://www.mikehardingfolkshow.com/
Grabbing Mike Harding, Thanks!!! (No offense to the ladies, I'm just massively picky with female singers for some reason.)

edit.....guess I'm not. Couldn't find any through my regular channels.

Last edited by bipbop13; 04-14-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
Maine

bumping for any additional artists I might have overlooked
Old 05-29-2017, 01:04 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipbop13 View Post
bumping for any additional artists I might have overlooked
Thanks given by:
IronWaffle (05-29-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #7

Aug 2017

I love folk music
Old 08-13-2017, 05:16 AM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

You have most of the bigger folk artists listed if you don't branch out to folk rock or delve into the early 1960s acts.

The best place to start is Time-Life's The Folk Years box set. It has ten CDs of carefully selected folk from the 1950s and 1960s.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-fo...t-mw0000034622

The one name that jumps out as missing from your list is Burl Ives. He was a folk superstar in his heyday.
Thanks given by:
bipbop13 (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 04:31 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
You have most of the bigger folk artists listed if you don't branch out to folk rock or delve into the early 1960s acts.

The best place to start is Time-Life's The Folk Years box set. It has ten CDs of carefully selected folk from the 1950s and 1960s.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-fo...t-mw0000034622

The one name that jumps out as missing from your list is Burl Ives. He was a folk superstar in his heyday.
Thanks!
Old 11-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #10
Banned

Feb 2015
Frozen North

Old 11-30-2017, 01:22 AM   #11
Expert Member

Feb 2016
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Tom Paxton
Gillian Welch
Roger Manning (Anti-Folk)
Old 12-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
Maine

Came up with a few more, and got some of your suggestions. I've updated the list at the top. I'm tapped out, unless you have any more I'm missing.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #13
Special Member

Oct 2010
Columbia, MD

Just a few odds and ends come immediately to mind.

Josh Ritter. As a starting point, his album Hello Starling has, in my opinion, two masterpieces (Wings and Bone of Song). A fun song to stream might be Folk Bloodbath, a sort of revisionist tour of actual folk songs. I say actual since he, like most on this list, I'd classify as singer-songwriters rather than folk singers. The latter are more steeped in the actual traditional songbooks like the Child Ballads. But that's academic.

Kate Wolf is indispensable in my opinion. I'd start with alive in Austin or her two CD anthology (I forget the title since there have been two; the one with the whitish cover. While not particularly wry I'd put her in the Bill Morrissey and John Prine pool.

I'd also check out Steve Earle's Train a-Comin', especially if you're into Townes Van Zandt. Rarely is acoustic stuff like this so muscular. There's also his bluegrass album The Mountain.

Dave Alvin's Blackjack David and subsequent album of traditional folk songs (title eludes me) are personally essential.

Dave Olney is a hidden gem. Love's Been Linked to the Blues is a great little song and can be found on the Philo So Far complication along with Bill Morrissey's brilliant Birches. Also on their is Christine Lavin's sneakily clever Mysterious Woman. She's worth looking into. Fun and biting lyrics, thigh the studio albums are arguably over-produced so I'd sample the live stuff.

Kate & Anna McGarrigle also deserve a mention.

Nanci Griffith released two distinctly different but valuable primers: Other Voices, Other Rooms and Other Voices, Too. The list of guest artists is astonishing. The former is more consistent but the follow-up has its charms. Combined, these albums should lead anyone in this thread to new discoveries.

Likewise Rhino's three separate volumes of Troubadours of the Folk Era give a great extemporaneous tour of the Village in its time. Speaking of which, the more recent tributes Bleecker Street and The Village are worth mentioning. The latter features The Duhks doing a searing take on Dylan's It's Alright Ma. If that intrigues you then also seek out We Can't Make It Here by James McMurtry, son of novelist (Lonesome Dove) Larry McMurtry. For my money the best modern protest song.

Utah Phillips did a lot of "work songs" steeped in 20th century folk. His songs rarely work for me but he has an album of mostly stories worth seeking out. I forget the title. My favorite is very un-folkie: Ani DiFranco (who also belongs on this list) took many of his stories and pi loops, beats and bass behind them on the album The Past Didn't Go Anywhere. That line comes from the opening track, Bridges, which is a fine defense of Folk music in the modern era. I hold it, the tracks Korea and Anarchy as masterpieces of storytelling.

Carolina Chocolate Drops and First said Kit are worth cherry picking online.

While not an actual artist, the Inside Llewyn Davis album (and subsequent live double album Another Day, Another Time) are worthy footnotes as is the Mighty Wind soundtrack.

Fans of the Harry Smith Anthology may also wish to seek out a tribute album to that set. Since it's late and this is spontaneously tapped into a phone I can't research the name without risking this draft evaporating. It's more of an alt. Country thing, maybe. But worth it, as are the multiple volumes of Mermaid Avenue by Wilco, Billy Bragg and Natalie Merchant.

Mississippi John Hurt, a blues man from the 1920s but rediscovered in the early 1960s is my favorite acoustic blues man and did many songs from the Folk canon. His album Anthology also features a long lecture/interview with Pete "I was only trying to improve the sound quality when trying to unplug Bobby" Seeger.

A shoutout to the recent PBS series American Epic. Not strictly Folk but illustrative of the crossroads between Folk, blues, spirituals and country. In addition to the documentary and book, there's a soundtrack with vintage recordings and a companion album with contemporary artists recording vintage songs on equally vintage mono equipment live in the studio.

That's all the rambling I've got for now. Probably more than enough.
Thanks given by:
bipbop13 (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 01:11 AM   #14
Expert Member

Feb 2016
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Josh White

You've got Fairport Convention, but how about solo Richard Thompson?

Thanks given by:
bipbop13 (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 05:33 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
Maine

thanks for those suggestions. I do have Richard Thompson, but I'm trying to make a compilation from just his works. If I find I don't have enough, I'll put the songs I do have into my folk collection
Old 12-03-2017, 08:18 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
Maine

updated the OP with the latest suggestions I found. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2017, 03:12 AM   #17

Apr 2009
Ajax, Ontario

So many, because all you need to get started is - a voice - and usually a six-string. A few suggestions:

The Electric Muse anthology series. The original LP box set was never released on CD and is long OOP but there were CDs with similar names and selections. Finding this collection in the late 70's was like rediscovering my childhood.

Pentangle as an ensemble, and Bert Jansch and John Renbourn solo work.

Donovan - like Dylan, he started with acoustic guitar and harmonica before "going electric".

John Martyn, solo or with Beverly.

Al Stewart in the early days. Ralph McTell. Incredible String Band.

Jackson C. Frank.

Gordon Lightfoot! Stan Rogers, Garnet Rogers.

For a real treat, check out Woodsmoke and Oranges by Paul Siebel. This is available on CD. Fits a loose definition of folk, and a strict definition of outstanding.

Lately I've been listening to Lyle Lovett, Corin Raymond, Donal Hinely, Ron Sexsmith.

Folk with a Gaelic influence - an endless list, but try the Rankin Family from Cape Breton. As an example:
Damn, that video is blocked in Canada; might work in the US? It's a fantastic a capella performance.

Hope this helps.
Thanks given by:
bipbop13 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
Maine

Updated the OP with the new suggestions. I think I'm getting close to a full compliment of folk artists!
Old 12-09-2017, 01:31 AM   #19
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Josh Ritter fits when you consider the deluxe editions of his albums. The deluxe editions usually include acoustic versions of his albums, which are all electric for the official versions.

Early John Martyn is definitely folk, but he moves away from it later in his career.

The first two Leonard Cohen albums are often categorized as folk music, though he too largely abandons the category afterwards.

A big name missing is Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes. His early work is almost all sparse acoustic guitar and his singing.

Singer Marissa Nadler is often called gothic folk.

All of Iron & Wine's early albums are modern folk.
Thanks given by:
bipbop13 (12-09-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 06:45 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
Maine

any last stragglers? I've got all suggestions above, and thanks to all for putting them in.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles