Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Chicago: The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning (iTunes)
$6.99
1 day ago
Phil Collins: Love Songs (iTunes)
$6.99
1 day ago
Coldplay: X & Y (iTunes)
$4.99
1 day ago
Coldplay: Mylo Xyloto (iTunes)
$4.99
1 day ago
Bill Withers: Lean On Me: The Best of Bill Withers (iTunes)
$6.99
1 day ago
Pantera: The Best of Pantera: Far Beyond the Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits! (iTunes)
$6.99
1 day ago
Black Sabbath: Greatest Hits 1970-1978 (iTunes)
$6.99
1 day ago
Aretha Franklin: 30 Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99
1 day ago
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99
1 day ago
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99
1 day ago
The Goo Goo Dolls: Greatest Hits Volume One - The Singles (iTunes)
$6.99
1 day ago
Madonna: The Immaculate Collection (iTunes)
$6.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles

Old 06-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #1

Oct 2010
Rhode Island
Default Do you still buy music or do you now stream it?

Ever since I can remember I have purchased physical albums or digital albums from my favorite artists on iTunes. However, with the rise in Spotify and Apple Music, it has become much more convenient (and cheaper) to stream music.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
The Great Indoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Ever since I can remember I have purchased physical albums or digital albums from my favorite artists on iTunes. However, with the rise in Spotify and Apple Music, it has become much more convenient (and cheaper) to stream music.
I'm the only person I know who still buys CDs.
Thanks given by:
bipbop13 (06-28-2019), djzero (07-11-2019), dublinbluray108 (07-04-2019), miller_time22 (06-30-2019), rafaelsalguero (08-09-2019), Scarriere (06-29-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

I still buy CD's. I still prefer the sound of an actual CD.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

I buy quite a bit of music. Probably buy more MP3 albums more than physical these days, but I will get physical releases for favorite bands, special editions of certain albums, and anything I want that's never been released as MP3s (often including imported music--usually British, German, or Japanese--plus rare or OOP albums).

Most of my MP3 purchases have been on Amazon, and I appreciate that it keep track of all my purchases since 2003. However, I have bought from iTunes for very specific music (such as Korean music and certain soundtracks). I will buy video game scores from the PSN or Steam if they're available. Nowadays, I'll also buy from Bandcamp, or directly from an artist's site or label (most especially Klayton's label (FiXT), which supports some of my favorite acts (Celldweller, Blue Stahli, oodles of other metal, EDM, and retrowave bands), but I've also bought stuff from Leah's and Rob Dougan's project sites). Bonus music, B-sides, and instrumental versions will entice me to one service or another.

I would never consider music streaming as a viable replacement for owning music, especially since so much of my collection can't actually be streamed. I also can't stream everywhere. I will make up Spotify playlists to share, to game with, or to chill with, but that's it--I'm more inclined to take my MP3s and move them to a device or stick to be played. As for CDs, I will play them at the office or in my reading area.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (06-29-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2012

I still buy CDs. I love box sets. The books and the packaging might be a space killer but I will always choose stuff over streaming or digital downloads. I mostly listen to classic rock and most of my favorite albums have huge deluxe box sets. I can't imagine not having the physical copies of Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series releases and just having the files on a hard drive.

Because I enjoy packaging for music I never understood those who like to mock others (especially on this site) who collect slipcovers. We like what we like.
Thanks given by:
banthafett (06-27-2019), djzero (07-11-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #6

Oct 2012
-
-
-

I still buy CDs, cassettes, and vinyl.

Will never buy digital.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #7
Power Member

Oct 2012
East Tennessee

I do both.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Old 06-28-2019, 12:28 AM   #8

Jun 2019

There are still a lot of individual songs that I buy digitally but I have a great deal of physical buying once I get my record player in action. For that alone I wish I still lived in Hollywood, Amoeba Music is a sight for eyes..... oh wait it's being relocated... never mind, **** Hollywood.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:32 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

I buy digital but only when it's downloads. I buy vinyl, FLAC downloads, Blu-ray (audio) and SACD as well as occasionally CDs and DVD-As for out of print stuff.

I only buy vinyl when it's specifically mastered for vinyl like the Beatles in Mono sets, too many major label releases these days the vinyl gets the exact same slammed mastering as the digital media and I'm not paying 2x for music that will only be enjoyable in the car where aggressive dynamic range compression isn't as bothersome.

Usually these days when I'm buying physical media, it's from an audiophile label that I know is providing fully dynamic masterings like MFSL, Analog Spark, Analogue Productions, etc.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:28 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014
Maine

CD's. I have ZERO streaming services....(oops, it's included with my amazon prime, but I don't use it.) I still make my own personal best of's for the (MANY) bands I like.
Thanks given by:
staxus (07-21-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 01:26 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2015
Karloffornia!!

Don't have any streaming services. I actually just went vinyl not too long ago. Really enjoying that.
Thanks given by:
staxus (07-21-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

I do both.
I buy albums from iTunes and stream Sirius at home.
I could stream and download from Applemusic, but I prefer to buy albums, supporting them, from Artists that give me so much pleasure.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2009
Off-World Colonies

I still buy it. Not very often, admittedly, but if there's a new album I'm particularly excited about - or if there's a reissue of one of my favourites - then I'll purchase it.

I do stream a lot, though, courtesy of the missus' Spotify account.

Last edited by dallywhitty; 06-29-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:22 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Chicago, IL

All of it. I buy CDs, vinyl, digital downloads and stream. My wife and I have a family account for Pandora Premium. I've had Amazon and Spotify in the past. I only buy FLAC for downloads.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:19 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Dry County

I don't stream or download music if I can help it. I always buy cds and vinyl whenever possible. I just bought the 30th anniversary deluxe edition of the b-52's Cosmic Thing that came out Friday. I would've bought a vinyl version but they don't have one for this edition. however I do have it on vinyl already so I'm good. I also got Rufus Wainwright's self debut on CD (the store didn't have the vinyl in stock). I also like to do my music shopping at record stores. There's nothing better.
Thanks given by:
miller_time22 (07-01-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #16
Banned

Jun 2018

Buy !
Old 07-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #17
Special Member

Aug 2015
Европа

I buy vinyl and cassettes.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #18
Expert Member

Feb 2010

I will sometimes check out a new artist on Apple Music, but I only buy music on CDs and vinyl. Hell, I even chose my new car (purchased a month ago) mostly because it still had a CD player in it. Only a few manufacturers are equipping their cars with one, so my choices became somewhat slim.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:09 AM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2013
The Ocean State
-
-
-

I'm not into any form of streaming. I've never been a big fan of mp3s or CDs either. CDs are fine when left in the house, but any time I've left them in the car, they inevitably seem to suffer case damage and occasionally scratches. The latter being the same reason I've also never liked DVDs all that much. They are often a shipping nightmare. As far as digital, I don't mind FLAC and APE files, but my preferred format for music is vinyl. I started collecting it again a few years back, and have spent a considerable amount of time tracking down sealed copies of much of my favorite music, in the case of whatever has not been rereleased. There are still some things I want that I have been unable to find sealed thus far or have never had a vinyl release, but overall, I'm reasonably happy with my collection at this point.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Dry County

Check out https://www.discogs.com/. They have every release known to man and you can see if what you're looking for has or had a vinyl release. If it did there is often one for sale on their marketplace for a fairly reasonable price.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles