Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Chicago: The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning (iTunes)
$6.99

J. Cole: KOD (iTunes)
$6.99

TOOL: Lateralus (iTunes)
$9.99

Peter Gabriel: So (iTunes)
$11.99

Peter Gabriel: So (iTunes)
$7.99

J. Cole: KOD (iTunes)
$6.99

Thomas Newman: In the Bedroom (iTunes)
$9.99

Ozzy Osbourne: The Ozzman Cometh (iTunes)
$6.99

Journey: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

Green Day: Greatest Hits: God's Favorite Band (iTunes)
$6.99

Spiritualized: And Nothing Hurt (iTunes)
$4.99

Michelle Williams: Journey To Freedom (iTunes)
$4.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Old 02-26-2021, 04:48 AM   #1

Mar 2011
Default Recording Vinyl to Digital - How Do We Remove "Rumble?"

Hello everyone,

I have finally recently gotten a new rig together for recording vinyl records to digital. My original setup was stolen and I finally have things back together. I make some beautiful recordings and use minimal software tinkering for the final result. I like to use ACID Pro for the recording. DAK's DePopper program does a great job, except one thing. I can't find a setting in the program that eliminates the "turntable rumble" that occurs in the level meters and is audible when turned up a bit.

Does anyone have a suggestion for software, or a setting in my existing programs, to remove the rumble?

Please let me know and thank you for reading!
Old 04-08-2021, 07:04 PM   #2

Jun 2016

I've used Izotope Ozone for unrelated issues. The multiband compressor also has a gate, you can use that to eliminate frequencies under 100Hz or so under a certain level. I'm actually just about to try out this technique myself for my own vinyl's!
Old 04-26-2021, 07:21 PM   #3
Special Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

I think Audacity has a filter which might help. I think you sample a "quiet" patch with the rumble present and one of the filters can map out that frequency through the rest of the recording.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2012

I purchased a DAK system a few years ago to convert my vinyl collection after watching a video that made the process look super simple. And apparently it is but I haven't been able to use it because it hasn't worked for me. The software seems to be "hung up" so nothing works like it's supposed to. Tried customer service and they recommended uninstalling the program and re-installing it - nothing. Their turntables are decent, though.

I understand Audacity is what most people use to convert their vinyl. Is this recommended for absolute beginners?
Old 05-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #5
Special Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema84 View Post
I purchased a DAK system a few years ago to convert my vinyl collection after watching a video that made the process look super simple. And apparently it is but I haven't been able to use it because it hasn't worked for me. The software seems to be "hung up" so nothing works like it's supposed to. Tried customer service and they recommended uninstalling the program and re-installing it - nothing. Their turntables are decent, though.

I understand Audacity is what most people use to convert their vinyl. Is this recommended for absolute beginners?
It definitely takes a little experimentation, but it's great once you get the hang of it. It's not that hard, plus there are a lot of filters (plug-ins) available which are pretty basic if you don't want to wade into the weeds. You can also do a deeper dive and view waveforms and edit very specific sections if you want to fine tune things. There are also a lot of people creating plug-ins / filters for it fairly regularly and a large community of users. I used to use Easy Media Creator because it was very simple, but if you really want to get into editing, Audacity is probably the most complete freeware out there and is kinda fun once you get your feet wet.

Last edited by quickdraw; 05-11-2021 at 05:02 PM. Reason: wrong software cited
Thanks given by:
Cinema84 (05-10-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Tags
music, recording, software, vinyl