Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Space Jam 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
4 hrs ago
Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99
21 hrs ago
Center Stage (Blu-ray)
$29.99
4 hrs ago
The Rocketeer (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$73.43
1 day ago
Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Wonder Woman 1984 4K / Wonder Woman 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.49
8 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Old 04-21-2009, 03:16 AM   #41
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ

I must agree with John here, based on my own limited experiences listening to separate amplifiers and my own web-based research. The simple premise being, simply having the same wattage and Amp class does not mean they were all constructed the same.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:21 AM   #42

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyG View Post
I'm not a fan of Emotiva at all, but it's got to beat using the amp in your AVR. It's nice to see people are experimenting though! They might have an Emo now, but who knows, in a few years they'll be running McIntosh, you gotta start somewhere.
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000
Old 04-21-2009, 03:34 AM   #43

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJxiv1215 View Post
I must agree with John here, based on my own limited experiences listening to separate amplifiers and my own web-based research. The simple premise being, simply having the same wattage and Amp class does not mean they were all constructed the same.
Thank you JJ!

Not to say that Emotiva doesn't provide a fantastic bang for the buck, but over 20 years...will it sound and reproduce like a SimAudio or a McIntosh or an Audio Reseach or a Krell? I think not.

John
Old 04-21-2009, 03:37 AM   #44
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
Thank you JJ!

Not to say that Emotiva doesn't provide a fantastic bang for the buck, but over 20 years...will it sound and reproduce like a SimAudio or a McIntosh or an Audio Reseach or a Krell? I think not.

John
Just curious, have you heard Emotiva?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:41 AM   #45

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
Just curious, have you heard Emotiva?
Yes I have. A friend of mine purchased their 3-channel amp last year and it does sound good. Just wondering if it'll stand the test of time.

John

PS...regardless....I wouldn't buy one personally.

Last edited by Johnny Vinyl; 04-21-2009 at 03:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:45 AM   #46
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

Quote:
Yes I have. A friend of mine purchased their 3-channel amp last year and it does sound good. Just wondering if it'll stand the test of time.

John
So Emotiva loses SQ and and good sonic reproduction over time where the others don't? I am just wondering?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:48 AM   #47
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

Quote:

PS...regardless....I wouldn't buy one personally.
Why?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:49 AM   #48
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannix136 View Post
How do you justify YOUR overinflated opinions?
That post was made long before Acoustic Audio subwoofers became popular. Let's not get testy here.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:50 AM   #49
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ

Quote:
So Emotiva loses SQ and and good sonic reproduction over time where the others don't? I am just wondering?
No, that's not what he's saying, Jason. Emotiva hasn't been around for long enough for anybody to prove this with any sort of actual "science" or facts. But what he is implying is that amplifiers from other manufacturers have withstood the test of time due to the construction methods and materials used in their chassis - sounding the same (or very close to) as they did from the day they were made. But, what he is unaware of is if Emotiva amplifiers will end up the same as well.

I am planning on going with an UPA-7 or XPA-3 over the summer, or a used Rotel 1075 or 993 if the prices are right. But then again, I have much more brand research to continue before doing this. An amplifier is a purchase that should last you decades, since, well, "power is power."
Old 04-21-2009, 03:53 AM   #50

Jul 2007

Quote:
I'm saying I have more faith in the other companies because their equipment has stood the test of time. Give it at least another 10 years and I might consider Emotiva as a possible alternative, provided their older models hold up then. Until such time, I will not jump on the Emotiva bandwagon that so many seem to do. It's a personal choice, nothing more.

John
Old 04-21-2009, 03:55 AM   #51
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJxiv1215 View Post
No, that's not what he's saying, Jason. Emotiva hasn't been around for long enough for anybody to prove this with any sort of actual "science" or facts. But what he is implying is that amplifiers from other manufacturers have withstood the test of time due to the construction methods and materials used in their chassis - sounding the same (or very close to) as they did from the day they were made. But, what he is unaware of is if Emotiva amplifiers will end up the same as well.

I am planning on going with an UPA-7 or XPA-3 over the summer, or a used Rotel 1075 or 993 if the prices are right. But then again, I have much more brand research to continue before doing this. An amplifier is a purchase that should last you decades, since, well, "power is power."
Quote:
I'm saying I have more faith in the other companies because their equipment has stood the test of time. Give it at least another 10 years and I might consider Emotiva as a possible alternative, provided their older models hold up then. Until such time, I will not jump on the Emotiva bandwagon that so many seem to do. It's a personal choice, nothing more.

John
Gotcha! Faith in any product is earned, and I can respect that!
Old 04-21-2009, 04:25 AM   #52

Apr 2009

Quote:
And how would you propose that I prove it? By what? Stats?

John

I thought you would have some articles to point me to, tests that prove you can hear a difference in amp "A" vs amp "B" in double blind test.

The test of time, well they do have a 5 year warrenty and when most other only offer a one year. Besides if you really think about it, the EMO amps still cost less to replace if they failed to last 30 years. If my cheap (free) DVD player lasted 7 years I doubt the EMO will fail in the next 15-20 years. These days I don't see many people keeping the gear they buy that long to begin with.

I really do think an EMOTIVA thread shoud be started so people will stop being annoyned by EMO questions all over the board.

I get it EMO hasn't earned your respect yet............
Old 04-21-2009, 04:26 AM   #53

Apr 2009

Quote:
And how would you propose that I prove it? By what? Stats?

John

I thought you would have some articles to point me to, tests that prove you can hear a difference in amp "A" vs amp "B" in double blind test.

The test of time, well they do have a 5 year warrenty and when most other only offer a one year. Besides if you really think about it, the EMO amps still cost less to replace if they failed to last 30 years. If my cheap (free) DVD player lasted 7 years I doubt the EMO will fail in the next 15-20 years. These days I don't see many people keeping the gear they buy that long to begin with.

I really do think an EMOTIVA thread shoud be started so people will stop being annoyned by EMO questions all over the board.

I get it EMO hasn't earned your respect yet............ Maybe one day it will........
Old 04-21-2009, 04:32 AM   #54

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

WOW !!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #55
Special Member

Jan 2007
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
The test of time, well they do have a 5 year warrenty and when most other only offer a one year.
Nonsense. Rotel and Classe amps have a 5 year warranty. Bryston has a 20 year warranty. Most quality companies have more than a 1 year warranty on their products, let's cut the malarkey. 2 to 5 years is industry standard for hifi gear.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:33 AM   #56

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by btf1980 View Post
Nonsense. Rotel and Classe amps have a 5 year warranty. Bryston has a 20 year warranty. Most quality companies have more than a 1 year warranty on their products, let's cut the malarkey. 2 to 5 years is industry standard for hifi gear.
SO waht you mean is what I said............. So yes please lets cut the malarkey. I did not mention any other company by name but you are quick snap at me. 2-5 year is a standard, funny most things I read and have read say different but I am sure I need to read more. You get all upset for nothing and then post something basicly simiular to what I said to begin with.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #57
Special Member

Jan 2007
NYC

Quote:
Why spend more than you have to for a great amp like the Emotiva. Seems silly to me that people are so stuck on the idea of name brands and are willing to shell out 3-4 times as much dinero for the same thing only because it has a name brand/badge.

Emotiva brings something to customers that is not made available by the big name brands, affordable, high quality amps. You can compare cars, but I can point out a few articles where a Corvette out perfomed a Ferrai in a shootout. You can speak of fancy cars compared to a Hyundai but when it comes down to it that Hyundai Geneis is kicking some butt for a whole lot less. Not only that, it has a better warrenty and reliabilty than a Mercedes, BMW............

People no longer need to be rich or snoobs to own seperates, all in thanks to Emotiva. SO I WILL tell anyone looking for a great amp for little money to head over to EMOTIVA. I may not have been around the world of A/V gear for the past 30 years but I like history. Tech has come along way from 30 years ago. I'm sure things were very different 10-15 years ago, but a lot has changed. Emotiva is a direct result of the changes taking place in the A/V world. They could have marketed like all the big boys but they chose to keep cost down. Would you say they were no good if they cost 3K each?

SS amps of the same class and specs will sound the same. Tube amps are a different beast all together.

People can hate on EMO for having a fan fair but maybe it's just EMO envy since some have spent so much more for so much less. I think there needs to be a single thread for EMOTIVA related discusions like they have over at AVS called EMOTIVA EMOTIONS.

You have very valid points, but lost me with the ferrari and vette/hyundai comparison. Poor choice for an example. I once read an article that talked about a GTO outperforming a Bentley Azure. But to that I say, so what? It depends on what parameters you use to define "outperform". Despite the fact that the cars aren't even in the same class, it's silly to compare them. If going from 0 to 60 in a faster time is your gauge, then congrats the GTO will "outperform" the Azure. So? Does it make it a better car? Handling, maneuverability, comfort, resale value & how it depreciates etc Those are real life gauges.

I always laugh when I see Hyundai Genesis commercials. Hyundai has come a long way, but it ain't no beemer or benz. After 5 years of owning a Hyundai, go back to your car dealer for a trade in and see how much he quotes you. You'll get a quick lesson in uber depreciation. Might have been cheaper to go with the pre-owned BMW in the long run.

In general, when I see articles about so and so product, slaying a tried and true product, I always pause and take notice. The fact that they need to constantly remind you of how they are better buy should tell you something. People in the know would have figured it out already.

For the record, I have never heard an Emotiva product, but I'm sure they are just fine.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #58
Special Member

Jan 2007
NYC

Quote:
SO waht you mean is what I said............. So yes please lets cut the malarkey. I did not mention any other company by name but you are quick snap at me. 2-5 year is a standard, funny most things I read and have read say different but I am sure I need to read more. You get all upset for nothing and then post something basicly simiular to what I said to begin with.
I'm not mad at you. You said most companies have a one year warranty. That's not true. It's 2 to 5 on average, some like Bryston offer 20 years. That was my point. You were pointing out that Emotiva has a 5 year warranty, as if that in of itself is exceptional or outside of the norm. It's not.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
SS amps of the same class and specs will sound the same.
I am sorry, but I would have to disagree with that.Though they may spec out about the same, they may well sound different. No I do not have any articles to direct you toward, and many say to the contrary. However, with good listening skills you may well be able to hear the differences. And no, the differences will in all likelihood will not be as noticeable as speakers in the same price range and class.

Rich
Old 04-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #60

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
I am sorry, but I would have to disagree with that.Though they may spec out about the same, they may well sound different. No I do not have any articles to direct you toward, and many say to the contrary. However, with good listening skills you may well be able to hear the differences. And no, the differences will in all likelihood will not be as noticeable as speakers in the same price range and class.

Rich
Very well said Rich!

Whether it is Emotiva or McIntosh, I do not buy based on specs. I do take them into consideration when planning a purchase as I want to get a general feel for the standards by which the product is measured. Same applies to product reviews. They are a guideline for consideration and nothing more.

Factors such as product/manufacturer reliability, warranty, standards of service, aesthetics (yes, aesthetics) and most of all a listening test or two or even more are my main considerations for purchasing any piece of equipment.

Specs be damned.....it's only my ears that matter.

John
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems