Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Chicago: The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning (iTunes)
$6.99

J. Cole: KOD (iTunes)
$6.99

TOOL: Lateralus (iTunes)
$9.99

Peter Gabriel: So (iTunes)
$11.99

Peter Gabriel: So (iTunes)
$7.99

J. Cole: KOD (iTunes)
$6.99

Thomas Newman: In the Bedroom (iTunes)
$9.99

Ozzy Osbourne: The Ozzman Cometh (iTunes)
$6.99

Journey: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

Green Day: Greatest Hits: God's Favorite Band (iTunes)
$6.99

Spiritualized: And Nothing Hurt (iTunes)
$4.99

Michelle Williams: Journey To Freedom (iTunes)
$4.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 02-18-2009, 05:29 AM   #1

Sep 2007
Toronto
Default Best turntable under $1000

Upgraditis has got to me again and I need to spend some $$$
Years ago I retired my old Dual and now want to get something half decent. The stereo shop that I buy most of my stuff from only has a AT-PL120 Audio Technica, a old Thorens used and some other crap. I think there are better.

I live in Canada so any Canadian links are a bonus. I see that Technics are a favorite.

I "think" I want a turntable that I don't have to flip the belt for 33>45 and back. If there was something that comes without a cartridge that would be okay if you could recommend one and keep it under a grand.

EDIT: I also have a NAD phono preamp ... would it be better than the pre-amp in my Yammy?

Anyone?

Last edited by Jello; 02-18-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #2

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello View Post
Upgraditis has got to me again and I need to spend some $$$
Years ago I retired my old Dual and now want to get something half decent. The stereo shop that I buy most of my stuff from only has a AT-PL120 Audio Technica, a old Thorens used and some other crap. I think there are better.

I live in Canada so any Canadian links are a bonus. I see that Technics are a favorite.

I "think" I want a turntable that I don't have to flip the belt for 33>45 and back. If there was something that comes without a cartridge that would be okay if you could recommend one and keep it under a grand.

EDIT: I also have a NAD phono preamp ... would it be better than the pre-amp in my Yammy?

Anyone?
Try American Sound of Canada on Yonge St. in Richmond Hill. They are without a doubt the best source for turntables in the GTA.

I don't know where you got the idea that the Technics is a favourite. Certainly not from the turntable afficionados here. The Technics is a fave for the DJ crowd, but you can do better than that in your price range. I'd start looking at the Pro-ject and Rega line of turntables, which both offer TT's in the entry-level category. Check these sites for some info, but remember, the prices are quoted in U.S. $'s.

Acoustic Sounds
MusicDirect
ElusiveDisc
Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor

And yes, keep your NAD phono pre-amp, it is certainly better than the built-in phone stage of your receiver.

John
Old 02-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

I echo John's sentiments. The only thing I would add is that although the NAD phonostage is likely to be better than the one in your receiver, you will probably do well to upgrade it (the phonostage) after you get your turntable.

The current issue of TAS (The Absolute Sound) has reviews on some budget phonostages that will suit you well.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

If you're downtown you can also check out the Pro-Ject line at Bay Bloor Radio, but you won't get much in the way of demos out of them, they usually don't leave cartidges in.

I don't know what CDN list pricing is, but they had the Pro-Ject Xpression for $699 and the Pro-Ject Xperience for $999
Old 02-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #5

Jul 2007

Check this review and CDN pricing on the Pro-ject 1 Xpression from 6moons.com

With the added Pro-ject Speedbox, you'll have just what you're looking for!

John

Last edited by Johnny Vinyl; 02-19-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #6

Sep 2007
Toronto

Well I have changed my thoughts on the price range due to the fact that I want a turntable that will sound better than a cd. For cd's I have the ps3 and an Oppo. I am thinking $1k will sound good, but not better. How much would I need to spend to get that WOW this really does sound better than cd's? I am looking for the sweet spot and would love a $5k table but can't afford that.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

In my opinion the $1,000 mark will easily sound better than CD!
Old 03-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #8

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
In my opinion the $1,000 mark will easily sound better than CD!
+1. And by a longshot!

John
Old 03-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
+1. And by a longshot!

John
Normally, I would agree with that. However, with really high end CD players and my still coming High End TT (another brass plating issue; these guys doing the plating can't get things right ; everything else is waiting for shipment ) I will reserve my comments. But, I would expect with stellar LP pressings they will far exceed my CDs on my high end CD playback.

Rich
Old 03-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #10

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
Normally, I would agree with that. However, with really high end CD players and my still coming High End TT (another brass plating issue; these guys doing the plating can't get things right ; everything else is waiting for shipment ) I will reserve my comments. But, I would expect with stellar LP pressings they will far exceed my CDs on my high end CD playback.

Rich
Looks like we're both still playing the waiting game! I still have no word on my Marantz TT...oh well! I just keep buying more vinyl in anticipation!

John
Old 03-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Looks like we're both still playing the waiting game! I still have no word on my Marantz TT...oh well! I just keep buying more vinyl in anticipation!

John
Me too.

Rich
Old 03-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello View Post
Well I have changed my thoughts on the price range due to the fact that I want a turntable that will sound better than a cd. For cd's I have the ps3 and an Oppo. I am thinking $1k will sound good, but not better. How much would I need to spend to get that WOW this really does sound better than cd's? I am looking for the sweet spot and would love a $5k table but can't afford that.

Thank you all for your input.
The sky really is the limit. As others have said, almost any well set up turntable in the $1000 will be a CD player in the same price range. It's unrealistic to think that a $1k turntable will beat a state of the art CD player. Of course, a state of the art turntable will th epants of a CD player, so it's all good!

When you talk of a budget, do you mean just for the turntable (and maybe arm) specificallly, or does your total budget include an amount for a cartridge and phono stage too? The reason I ask is that you could easily spend $1k on a phonostage and another $1k on a cartridge. Pair those with a $1k to $2k turntable, and you'll have one hell of a system.

OTOH, if your budget is (say) $2k for the whole lot, you'll need to scale back your expectations a bit. But you'll still get great results.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC

Quote:

John
Blimey! I wonder what's taking them so long? You might have to start thinking about alternatives...
Old 03-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #14

Dec 2007

Right now, Im just using a Technics SL1200
When I get my first pay cheque at age 35, I will definitely invest in a proper audiophile turntable
Old 03-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #15

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
Blimey! I wonder what's taking them so long? You might have to start thinking about alternatives...
I'm somewhat surprised as well, as they are normally very quick with everything and I've always been pleased with their service. I suspect, because they don't carry the line, that they might be having a difficulty here and there in procuring one for me. I have a feeling it'll be here within the next 2 weeks as I can't see it taking too much longer.

In the meantime, CD's will have to suffice, but I am not happy about it!

John
Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC

Quote:
I'm somewhat surprised as well, as they are normally very quick with everything and I've always been pleased with their service. I suspect, because they don't carry the line, that they might be having a difficulty here and there in procuring one for me. I have a feeling it'll be here within the next 2 weeks as I can't see it taking too much longer.
Fingers crossed for you!

What other TT brands does your dealer carry? And how does not buying from an authorised dealer affect your warranty?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #17

Jul 2007

Quote:
Fingers crossed for you!

What other TT brands does your dealer carry? And how does not buying from an authorised dealer affect your warranty?
He basically only carries Pro-ject and Rega, and to be honest I am not a fan from an aesthetic point of view of their turntables. I know their higher-end tables are very good, but I would always want to upgrade to something else. That may sound somewhat strange, but its a factor for me.

Thanks for bringing up the warranty issue though. I will drop by tomorrow or early next week to get clarification. The Marantz comes with a 3-year warranty, which I think is really good, so I'd definately want to have access to that should I require it.

One piece of positive news though....the Marantz site now lists the TT at $2,000, which is $400 MORE than what I paid. Guess I bought it just in time. I'm glad I didn't just order it and leave it at that...I put down $1,000 and will pay the balance upon receipt. I also made it clear to them, that if I didn't like it for some reason I wasn't obligated to take it. They agreed.

John
Old 03-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC

Quote:
He basically only carries Pro-ject and Rega, and to be honest I am not a fan from an aesthetic point of view of their turntables. I know their higher-end tables are very good, but I would always want to upgrade to something else. That may sound somewhat strange, but its a factor for me.
Not strange! Aesthetics are an important part of the product-choosing process for me too.

Quote:
Thanks for bringing up the warranty issue though. I will drop by tomorrow or early next week to get clarification. The Marantz comes with a 3-year warranty, which I think is really good, so I'd definately want to have access to that should I require it.

One piece of positive news though....the Marantz site now lists the TT at $2,000, which is $400 MORE than what I paid. Guess I bought it just in time. I'm glad I didn't just order it and leave it at that...I put down $1,000 and will pay the balance upon receipt. I also made it clear to them, that if I didn't like it for some reason I wasn't obligated to take it. They agreed.

John
Good idea--and timing!

On a separate note, I'll answer the email you sent me in a bit. It deserves more attention than a quick forum post!
Old 03-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #19

Jul 2007

Quote:
On a separate note, I'll answer the email you sent me in a bit. It deserves more attention than a quick forum post!
Anytime you have time Rich! No hurries! And thanks!

John
Old 03-08-2009, 04:11 AM   #20

Sep 2007
Toronto

What do you guys think of this deal. Used
VPI Scout T/T with a modded Rega RB300 arm. Mods include: Expressimo 2 HEX-TREME locking end stub, upgraded lower locking nut, blue metal VTA adjuster, Expressimo Heavyweight, 2X-treme rewire by expressimo. Arm has every mod available from expressimmo. Cartridge is a Dynavector 10x5 with low hours.
One year old. What would it be worth?

Thoughts?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music