Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
J. Cole: KOD (iTunes)
$6.99
11 hrs ago
J. Cole: KOD (iTunes)
$6.99
11 hrs ago
Peter Gabriel: So (iTunes)
$11.99
3 hrs ago
Chicago: The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning (iTunes)
$6.99

TOOL: Lateralus (iTunes)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Peter Gabriel: So (iTunes)
$7.99
3 hrs ago
Bob Dylan: Blonde On Blonde (iTunes)
$7.99
3 hrs ago
Phil Collins: Love Songs (iTunes)
$6.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

Black Sabbath: Greatest Hits 1970-1978 (iTunes)
$6.99

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits (iTunes)
$6.99

Madonna: The Immaculate Collection (iTunes)
$6.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Old 05-04-2009, 05:56 AM   #1
Special Member

Feb 2008
Default Can anyone that still uses Vinyl help me?

i'm new to the world of vinyl. my friend's had one for some time and it's time for me to finally buy my first record player. i was curious if anyone can point me in the right direction. i'm looking for a good but affordable turntable for beginners.

this is what i'm leaning towards:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX300U...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

also i don't have a stereo, the only system i have set up is through my computer speakers. its a nice one. but can i hook up my record player through my computer system and play it through my speakers? again i am a noob sorry if these are stupid questions.

any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #2

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Hi Steve,

Some of us never left the world of vinyl and most likely never will. With the resurgence of the format now taking place, this is a very exciting time for us and newcomers alike. Guys like richteer (Rich), naturephoto1 (Rich) and myself have almost 100 years of collecting and listening to vinyl combined. I guess the three of us could be considered Blu-ray.com's most vocal vinyl proponants, but there are others as well.

To answer your question about the Sony you pointed to, yes it can be connected to your computer as it is a USB table. However, all TT's can be connected to a computer. I had mine hooked up years ago to a 2-Channel Amplifier connected to my PC. I used it only for transferring some of my vinyl to digital.

Although I would personally not recommend the TT you are looking at or any others that are USB based or in this price range, it may for now be your best choice. If you were looking to get into 2-Channel audio somewhere down the road, I'd suggest upping the ante and buying something like the Pro-Ject Debut III. Can you up your budget?

Regardless of what you decide, welcome to the world of vinyl and if you have any questions, please ask and come back to this forum section for interesting reads and information.

John
Old 05-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #3

Mar 2008
N.S.

Yes we who love vinyl love it alot. I've had Technics over the years and the DJ's in the club I ran used them so here's a link that may help.
http://www.axemusic.com/search.asp?s...ics+turntables
Old 05-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Some websites that have turntables that you may wish to consider are the following:

http://www.musicdirect.com/
http://www.needledoctor.com/
http://www.elusivedisc.com/
http://store.acousticsounds.com/

Rich
Old 05-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Hi Steve,

I Second John's recommendation to avoid the Sony and go for the Pro-Ject Devut III USB if your budget permits (stretch it as far as you can!). But a better route would be to eschew a USB interface altogether and get yourself a cheap phono stage. Plug the output of that into your computer's line in, and you should be set to go. Not only will the sound quality likely be better, but should you get bitten by the vinyl bug, you won't have to start over again.

Have fun!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Special Member

Feb 2008

thanks guys for all your help. i am very excited to begin my journey with vinyl. unfortunately for now the Pro-Ject Devut III is a bit out of my price range although i'm sure its the best of the best like you guys say. i was trying to find something under or around $150 that would be the best TT for beginners. would you guys have any recommendations instead of the Sony?
Old 05-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

I would seriously recommend putting off your jump into vinyl for another few months until you can hit the $350 mark...or see if you can get a Rega P1, Pro-Ject Debut III, etc., used on Audiogon closer to your budget.

I would stay away from those entry-level Sony, Denon, etc., tables, not worth your investment if you're serious about critical listening.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
I would seriously recommend putting off your jump into vinyl for another few months until you can hit the $350 mark...or see if you can get a Rega P1, Pro-Ject Debut III, etc., used on Audiogon closer to your budget.

I would stay away from those entry-level Sony, Denon, etc., tables, not worth your investment if you're serious about critical listening.
You will be thankful that you follow Steve's (dobyblue's) suggestion in the long haul. Wait a little longer then to make your purchase. If you purchase too low a priced turntable, you will be wasting your money and not reap the benefits of the sound of a true turntable. By the way, the Pro-ject Debut III is no where near the best turntable, but it is a good budget item.

Rich
Old 05-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #9
Special Member

Feb 2008

well i just wanted to get a cheap TT to start with so i can learn the ropes of a TT before i buy a more expensive one with no experience. (i know they can be fragile items)

the Sony listed above isn't gonna last 10 years or so but i just want to learn the basics. plus i have a $70 amazon giftcard to use still so it won't cost me much out of my pocket that is why i was looking for a TT around $150

i appreciate all the advice guys and i'm looking forward to talking with you guys more once i start my record collection.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_99101 View Post
well i just wanted to get a cheap TT to start with so i can learn the ropes of a TT before i buy a more expensive one with no experience. (i know they can be fragile items)

the Sony listed above isn't gonna last 10 years or so but i just want to learn the basics. plus i have a $70 amazon giftcard to use still so it won't cost me much out of my pocket that is why i was looking for a TT around $150

i appreciate all the advice guys and i'm looking forward to talking with you guys more once i start my record collection.
That Pro-Ject is a cheap entry-level TT!

You could use your $70 giftcard toward a phono preamp.
I know it might sound a bit snooty to suggest that a $350 TT is an entry-level table, but honestly when you HEAR one compared to those sub $150 tables you'll know exactly why you're being recommended to follow this path...then when you hear a $1,000 table compared to a $350 table you'll start drooling again.

Unlike digital, I have found that the benefits of analog seem to have a constant curve the more you put in it in performance:$ ratio unlike digital.

Last edited by dobyblue; 05-04-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
Special Member

Feb 2008

trust me i would definetly get the TT you guys recommended in a heartbeat if i had the money to drop on it. i'm not getting the hours i need at work so i can't just drop $300 on a TT at the moment, i was gonna get the Sony cause it would only be $40 out of my pocket (plus the giftcard) and then in a few years upgrade to a really good TT.

i only have a computer system with one subwoofer and 2 speakers, that is what i am planning to use to play my TT on anyway so i don't think it would be a huge difference at the moment (at least thats what i'm figuring i could be wrong though)

Last edited by steve_99101; 05-04-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
That Pro-Ject is a cheap entry-level TT!

You could use your $70 giftcard toward a phono preamp.
I know it might sound a bit snooty to suggest that a $350 TT is an entry-level table, but honestly when you HEAR one compared to those sub $150 tables you'll know exactly why you're being recommended to follow this path...then when you hear a $1,000 table compared to a $350 table you'll start drooling again.

Unlike digital, I have found that the benefits of analog seem to have a constant curve the more you put in it in performance:$ ratio unlike digital.
Yep, the Pro-Ject Debut III is on my list of wants. I have a functioning cheap Pioneer that is connected in the basement. I want a better quality one for the living area.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #13
Special Member

Sep 2007

Are there any reputable places near you that sell used equipment?

Also don't forget some cleaner and a brush.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
Yep, the Pro-Ject Debut III is on my list of wants. I have a functioning cheap Pioneer that is connected in the basement. I want a better quality one for the living area.
Your vinyl records will be happier with a better tonearm and cartridge as well. You can use better and frequently better tracking forces that will cause less chance of mis-tracking and lower wear of the vinyl.

rich
Old 05-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
Special Member

Feb 2008

i went with this Turntable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005T3XH

it was cheaper than the same one with the USB. i've read pretty good reviews for this for the price it is. $20 out of my pocket, let's hope it does the job for now.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #16
Special Member

Feb 2008

could someone help me out and send me a link or tell me where you purchase cleaning supplies for your records? how frequently should you clean them? also which protective sleeves do you buy? sorry again i'm new to vinyl
Old 05-05-2009, 02:27 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

www.sleevetown.com is a good place for sleeves and cleaning supplies.

I use the Disckeeper 2.0 anti-static inner sleeves and 2.5ml outer sleeves. Every record I buy gets a clean and then immediately goes into a new sleeve. Once they get a good clean all you really need for the next 20~30 plays should be a carbon fibre brush - it's the initial cleaning that's most important, then how you handle your records after that is how long they stay clean.

They have the MOFI stylus brush for $9, give your stylus a gentle clean in between each play. You should see if you have a local guy around for now with a record cleaning machine as well. They usually charge $1/LP which for the interim would be good until you can afford to pick up your own cleaning machine. I've had great experiences to date with the GEM Dandy which is $149, then up from that you could look at the VPI 16.4 which I think is around $500 from the best deals.

The Pro-Ject "Brush It" carbon fibre anti-static record brush usually sells for around $20 and it's well put together. Check the pro-ject site to find your local dealer and pick one up, definitely one of the most important tools.

Last edited by dobyblue; 05-05-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:46 AM   #18
Special Member

Feb 2008

awesome! thanks for the link. that site has it all. so for starters i really just need some sleeves for my future record purchases and a "brush" to clean my records so they don't get worn out. i think i'm gonna hold off on the liquid cleaner, how often do you need to use that on your records?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:01 AM   #19
Special Member

Jul 2008

I also use www.sleevetown.com as a resource for vinyl care. I use the Mobile Fidelity Record Brush on this page. I like it because it does a great job, has replaceable pads, and the pads can be kept clean and unharmed with careful use of canned air. I dry brush each side with it prior to every play.

I also use their polylined paper record sleeves on this page. First thing I do when I get a new record is replace the inner sleeve with one of those (unless it's already in an anti-static sleeve of some kind).

For stylus cleaning, I use the ultra-inexpensive Mr. Clean Magic Eraser available at your local Target/Wal-mart/etc. Do a google search for "magic eraser + stylus cleaning" and you can read all about it. Essentially, you just needle drop onto a small square of Magic Eraser just like you would onto Zerodust. Make sure you get the original Magic Eraser that does not have any cleansing chemicals. It's not the best possible stylus cleaning method, but at just a few dollars, it's by far the best value in stylus cleaning and comes close to Zerodust in performance, according to most accounts. Like any other turntable maintenance, you just need to use care and handle everything very delicately.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:53 AM   #20
Special Member

Feb 2008

thanks to everyone above, you've been very helpful and i appreciate it. i'm really diggin this. so far i have:

-Turntable with Dust Cover
-Carbon-Fiber Record Cleaner Brush
-My First record (Metallica - Death Magnetic)

i still need to order some outer plastic sleeves for the jacket. i think thats all i need for now. anything else i'm missing?? sorry i'm still a newbie
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music