Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Geostorm 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.29
20 hrs ago
The Diamond Wizard 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.61

Paranormal Activity: The Ultimate Chills Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.47

Monster Hunt (Blu-ray)
$15.23

Rampage 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.31

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.61

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 12-18-2022, 01:54 PM   #2961
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavanut View Post
There are occasional shots throughout Avatar 2 that are in 2-D. Just to give it a number, let's say 1% of the film is flat. These moments tend to be brief establishing shots that cover a wide field of view from a great distance with little or no foreground action or detail. Such scenes would have very little parallax anyway if shot using wide lenses and a normal interaxial of about 65 millimeters, so I find no fault whatsoever with this visual strategy of occasional selective 2-D.
Technically those shots are 3D and if you look closely there is a very subtle hint of depth. While yes this is realistic as this is how we see distant objects, it is NOT how we expect to see them when viewing a 3D movie. In real life, we will pretty much always have closer objects to us to give us perspective for the distance. When a shot is 100% distance, you don't have that, so it looks wrong compared to what we expect to see. I think it is a much better idea to separate the lenses further for shots like that, and when those shots are 100% cgi, there's no excuse not to do that. Heck, even Peter Jackson achieved noticeable depth in shots like that for The Hobbit, with native live action 3D.

It's been over a year since I watched the first movie in 3D but I don't recall the establishing shots looking that flat. Didn't that other post say that Cameron split shots in the first movie so that the foreground and backgrounds would be captured with different levels of separation, for better exaggeration of depth in the distance? If that's the case, it doesn't appear he did that this time.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies