Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$76.99
15 hrs ago
Betty Blue (Blu-ray)
$29.49
4 hrs ago
50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$62.99
5 hrs ago
Now, Voyager (Blu-ray)
$27.37
4 hrs ago
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74

All About Eve (Blu-ray)
$29.49
4 hrs ago
Cold War (Blu-ray)
$29.49
4 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.37
42 min ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC
Default TV version of 12 Angry Men

TV version of 12 Angry Men

I thought that the 1997 TV version of 12 Angry Men was every bit as good as the 1957 Henry Fonda fim.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012

Just came across this thread.

Friedkin was just on Joe Dante's podcat, The Movies that Made Me, and he said he had just remastered this film. No word on whether it'll be released via a specific label or not, or as to when it might be released, but I think it's safe to say it's coming!

https://t.co/rVZAjbuWaA
Thanks given by:
Socko (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
Special Member

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmodel View Post

Friedkin was just on Joe Dante's podcat, The Movies that Made Me, and he said he had just remastered this film. No word on whether it'll be released via a specific label or not, or as to when it might be released, but I think it's safe to say it's coming!

Good news
Old 01-13-2019, 03:38 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Thanks for the bump. I'm a big fan of the 1957 version of 12 Angry Men, but have never seen the 1997 TV version. However, I do have a strong interest in seeing this.

Was TAM '97 ever even available on a Region 1 DVD?! I just looked this up, and it was available on a German DVD - but can't find any evidence of a Region 1 version. In any case, any DVD of this is either HTF or OOP.

So, yes - hopefully we'll see this on Blu at some point soon.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:55 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

I mean it has a cast for days
Jack Lemmon, George C. Scott, Armin Mueller-Stahl, James Gandolfini, Mykelti Williamson, William Petersen, Courtney B. Vance, Ossie Davis

Last edited by Canada; 07-02-2019 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #6
Power Member

Feb 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmodel View Post

Safe to say the remaster will at least be used for streaming and television purposes. A disc is a whole other matter. We shall see!
Old 01-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Was TAM '97 ever even available on a Region 1 DVD?! I just looked this up, and it was available on a German DVD - but can't find any evidence of a Region 1 version. In any case, any DVD of this is either HTF or OOP.
I'm almost certain it was: otherwise I can't imagine how I would've seen it. VHS maybe, but I think I saw it some time after '97.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:05 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

I finally saw 12 Angry Men '97 & felt it was excellent. In some ways, I actually thought it was better than the original 1957 version. Excellent cast, and though it obviously bore some similarities the original - I didn't feel it was a straight re-make by any means.

Hopefully this will be released in high-def at some point.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #9

Dec 2009
South Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
TV version of 12 Angry Men

I thought that the 1997 TV version of 12 Angry Men was every bit as good as the 1957 Henry Fonda fim.
every bit as good?? um . . . no. For on thing, George C. Scott was too old for the role he played(as great as he was in it). His being old ruined a scene where his character was lectured about being respectful to old people. One juror threaten to lay him out if he ever disrespected the older juror ever again. It just doesn't work when his character is as old as George C. Scott at the time(he was basically as old as the older juror).
Old 07-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #10

Dec 2009
South Jersey

Quote:
I finally saw 12 Angry Men '97 & felt it was excellent. In some ways, I actually thought it was better than the original 1957 version. Excellent cast, and though it obviously bore some similarities the original - I didn't feel it was a straight re-make by any means.

Hopefully this will be released in high-def at some point.
better?!? *sigh*
Old 07-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar_bee View Post
I'm almost certain it was: otherwise I can't imagine how I would've seen it. VHS maybe, but I think I saw it some time after '97.
I'm relatively confident that it was never released in an official R1 DVD (though I would not be surprised to learn about bootlegs). It did play on cable a lot after the initial viewing, I've seen it two or three times that way over the years.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
every bit as good?? um . . . no. For on thing, George C. Scott was too old for the role he played(as great as he was in it). His being old ruined a scene where his character was lectured about being respectful to old people. One juror threaten to lay him out if he ever disrespected the older juror ever again. It just doesn't work when his character is as old as George C. Scott at the time(he was basically as old as the older juror).
I remember this scene, and I disagree that it didn't work due to GCS's age. He may have been playing younger than his actual age, and/or the other juror (who was lecturing the Scott character) thought he was younger than he was. People regularly & typically make mistakes about others ages - I have witnessed situations where people thought others were significantly older - or younger - than their actual ages.

The point of the scene was that someone was being disrespectful to someone else, and was lectured/berated as a result.

The tension in the room - coupled with the summer heat (I think someone mentioned something about the air conditioner not working) - was palpable. Very well-done.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

1/4 of the people in the room are older than George C. Scott, most especially the one being referred to as an "old man". Hume Cronyn and Ossie Davis are both a decade older than anybody else. Also the dialogue of the sequence is directly about Hume Cronyn as an old man identifying with the old man who testified at the trial. Now, if you want to say that the remake with Henry Fonda is better than the remake with Jack Lemmon, that's fine, but if the only reason you can cite is that somebody (I can't remember off-hand if it's Danza or Gandolfini) calls Hume Cronyn an old man, that's not much to hang the opinion on.
Thanks given by:
Gacivory (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #14
Special Member

Nov 2012

Great remake
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Tags
12 angry men, george c. scott, jack lemmon, james gandolfini, tv movie