Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
£29.99
 
The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
£4.48
 
Godard: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
£22.95
 
Saw: The Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
£42.49
 
Mission: Impossible - The 6-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
£23.18
 
Cruising (Blu-ray)
£14.99
 
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
£23.12
6 hrs ago
Stan & Ollie (Blu-ray)
£10.00
 
House M.D.: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£41.54
 
Melville: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
£34.00
 
Tchaikovsky: Casse Noisette (Blu-ray)
£25.20
 
Rossini: Ricciardo e Zoraide (Blu-ray)
£25.19
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #3961
Ste7en Ste7en is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
Ste7en's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
Durham, UK
93
2858
40
2
Default

I have to say, overall I'm pretty happy with the SEs. I love that new shot of the Falcon leaving Mos Eisley... and all those extra windows on Bespin.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
JimDiGriz (07-15-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #3962
calmblueocean81 calmblueocean81 is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
For me there's stuff I liked about the SEs and there's stuff in there I could have done without. I've said this lots of time already elsewhere: everybody has their own version of what the original trilogy should look like. Therefore I just don't understand why Disney don't allow fans to construct their own version through an editing tool package. It could be as simple as pick a scene from available versions and add it to a timeline to then process as a complete movie. Same goes for sound. It would negate all those endless fan versions that always have something wrong with them because no one person can agree on each scene. Let fans build their own version of the original trilogy.
I think most people are just extra keen to see the "original" versions of the first three movies on blu-ray. Almost every movie that has had directors cuts or various edits made to it would still have the original theatrical version of the movie available as well. Its bonkers that Lucas has been so dead set against making the original versions available. I know people like to say that Lucas created them, so he can do what he wants with them, but the original versions are important in their own right and its wrong to essentially wipe them from existence.

Maybe Disney will see fit to release them once the last part of their new trilogy comes out......
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #3963
pferreira pferreira is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmblueocean81 View Post
I think most people are just extra keen to see the "original" versions of the first three movies on blu-ray. Almost every movie that has had directors cuts or various edits made to it would still have the original theatrical version of the movie available as well. Its bonkers that Lucas has been so dead set against making the original versions available. I know people like to say that Lucas created them, so he can do what he wants with them, but the original versions are important in their own right and its wrong to essentially wipe them from existence.
My point is that there will always be some version people prefer. For instance I like some of the changes made for A New Hope but dislike others yet there are others that will feel differently. Releasing the original unaltered versions is good for some but it takes away some of the changes I felt were necessary. Is there even an original version of ANH? Lucas kept tinkering with that movie right into 1981 and beyond. I think Disney should give the consumer a choice to have their own personalised version from the available versions. Obviously if they did things this way then it would end up being a digital set rather than a disc based one but it could work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #3964
Yautja_Warrior Yautja_Warrior is offline
Senior Member
 
Yautja_Warrior's Avatar
 
Sep 2014
UK
4
458
2
Default

Disney would be crazy not to release the original Theatrical versions, they would sell a ton. The original versions definitely should be available for fans to buy.

Thankfully the excellent fan made Despecialized and 4k projects, do a fantastic job of preserving the Theatrical versions (as close as possible) on blu-ray / digital, until we can get an official release, if it ever happens.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #3965
oilers73 oilers73 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
oilers73's Avatar
 
May 2016
Point Loma, San Diego
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yautja_Warrior View Post
Disney would be crazy not to release the original Theatrical versions, they would sell a ton. The original versions definitely should be available for fans to buy.

Thankfully the excellent fan made Despecialized and 4k projects, do a fantastic job of preserving the Theatrical versions (as close as possible) on blu-ray / digital, until we can get an official release, if it ever happens.
Funny thing...while I was waiting for Fox/Lucas to come to their senses and release the original versions, I outgrew Star Wars. A friend brought over the "despecialized" versions about 3 years back, we watched Episode IV, and I realized I just didn't care any more. I went ahead and watched V and VI, and I remembered why I liked these movies as a little girl but had no desire to watch anything Star Wars-related again.

If the true versions had been released about 5 years ago or so, I would have bought them in a heartbeat. (For the record, I found the prequels to be mediocre at best. I have not watched any other Star Wars film.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #3966
Yautja_Warrior Yautja_Warrior is offline
Senior Member
 
Yautja_Warrior's Avatar
 
Sep 2014
UK
4
458
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers73 View Post
Funny thing...while I was waiting for Fox/Lucas to come to their senses and release the original versions, I outgrew Star Wars. A friend brought over the "despecialized" versions about 3 years back, we watched Episode IV, and I realized I just didn't care any more. I went ahead and watched V and VI, and I remembered why I liked these movies as a little girl but had no desire to watch anything Star Wars-related again.

If the true versions had been released about 5 years ago or so, I would have bought them in a heartbeat. (For the record, I found the prequels to be mediocre at best. I have not watched any other Star Wars film.)
Fair enough, I bet there are plenty of people that are sick of waiting at this point, it's been far too long, no thanks to George Lucas trying to erase them from history but having recently watched all 3 originals again, I remembered why I adore these movies all over again and would love to get official versions still.

But if it doesn't happen, at least I have these fantastic fan reconstructions, which are as good as the real thing and only cost me the price of a few blank blu-ray's, 3 cases and a bit of ink to print some covers.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
101 steel (07-13-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #3967
Blu Mooner Blu Mooner is offline
Member
 
Blu Mooner's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
5
135
Default

I actually still have all three of the original trilogy on VHS from the first UK home video releases.

Not sure how changed they are from the cinema versions, as I no longer have a VHS player to check!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #3968
rapta rapta is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
rapta's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Hants, UK
2496
1
6
Default

I found a copy of Return of the Jedi SE in Oxfam on DVD so bought that recently. I still don't have A New Hope but I'm glad to own hard copies of two of the three original theatrical versions (even if they're not as ideal as having them in HD). Fingers crossed something gets sorted out in the near future...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #3969
101 steel 101 steel is online now
Active Member
 
Oct 2015
Essex
Default

I have the old vhs in the loft somewhere. I have the DVDs that came as an extra on that set, but look terrible.
I also have a couple of different harmys editions, and they look great. Until something official comes out, they are the sets to have
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #3970
CrockettandTubbs CrockettandTubbs is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
CrockettandTubbs's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
UK
3
1671
Default

I've got these versions somewhere:

[Show spoiler]


Weren't the interviews by Leonard Maltin?

[Show spoiler]


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #3971
Agent Kay Agent Kay is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Agent Kay's Avatar
 
May 2018
57
57
Default

Yep taken from the laserdisc.
My Star Wars wide screen is missing the subtitles for the aliens
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #3972
allanp81 allanp81 is offline
Member
 
Jul 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post
I've got these versions somewhere:

[Show spoiler]


Weren't the interviews by Leonard Maltin?

[Show spoiler]


I have the non-widescreen versions of these, they look truly terrible! They do have the Leonard Maltin interviews though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #3973
TheHutt TheHutt is offline
Power Member
 
TheHutt's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post
I've got these versions somewhere:

[Show spoiler]
I remember chasing around Cologne, Germany, looking for a shop carrying the UK widescreen versions of those.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ZombieTwin2 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #3974
figrin_dan figrin_dan is offline
Special Member
 
figrin_dan's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
UK
4
590
114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
For me there's stuff I liked about the SEs and there's stuff in there I could have done without. I've said this lots of time already elsewhere: everybody has their own version of what the original trilogy should look like. Therefore I just don't understand why Disney don't allow fans to construct their own version through an editing tool package. It could be as simple as pick a scene from available versions and add it to a timeline to then process as a complete movie. Same goes for sound. It would negate all those endless fan versions that always have something wrong with them because no one person can agree on each scene. Let fans build their own version of the original trilogy.
They could just update Editdroid
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #3975
Blu Mooner Blu Mooner is offline
Member
 
Blu Mooner's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
5
135
Default

Just checked my copies and the Star Wars and Empire ones are part of the earlier 90's digitial remastered, widescreen special editons but the ROTJ version is from 1988 and seems to be original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Star Wars 1991 VHS.jpg (33.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg vhs-video-star-wars-the-empire-strikes-back-original-versions.jpg (55.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg video-roj-uk1.jpg (96.3 KB, 23 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:58 PM   #3976
pferreira pferreira is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yautja_Warrior View Post
Thankfully the excellent fan made Despecialized and 4k projects, do a fantastic job of preserving the Theatrical versions (as close as possible) on blu-ray / digital, until we can get an official release, if it ever happens.
Again the problem is there are things in that fan edit that I'm glad were fixed in the Special Edition. Being able to create out own version would be more ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post
I've got these versions somewhere:
Those were the 1995 releases, aka the 'get them before they're gone for good' releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Mooner View Post
Just checked my copies and the Star Wars and Empire ones are part of the earlier 90's digitial remastered, widescreen special editons but the ROTJ version is from 1988 and seems to be original.
I own the 1994 version of ESB:
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #3977
drush9999 drush9999 is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
drush9999's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England
1850
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post
I've got these versions somewhere:

[Show spoiler]


Weren't the interviews by Leonard Maltin?

[Show spoiler]


Early tapes of that version of Return of the Jedi missed Jabba's subtitles.

I still have the Executor tin set that came out at the same time somewhere.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:37 PM.