Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
£29.99

The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
£4.48

Godard: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
£22.95

Saw: The Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
£42.49

Mission: Impossible - The 6-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
£23.18

Cruising (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
£23.12
6 hrs ago
Stan & Ollie (Blu-ray)
£10.00

House M.D.: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£41.54

Melville: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
£34.00

Tchaikovsky: Casse Noisette (Blu-ray)
£25.20

Rossini: Ricciardo e Zoraide (Blu-ray)
£25.19

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 07-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #3961
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2013
Durham, UK

I have to say, overall I'm pretty happy with the SEs. I love that new shot of the Falcon leaving Mos Eisley... and all those extra windows on Bespin.
Thanks given by:
JimDiGriz (07-15-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #3962

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
For me there's stuff I liked about the SEs and there's stuff in there I could have done without. I've said this lots of time already elsewhere: everybody has their own version of what the original trilogy should look like. Therefore I just don't understand why Disney don't allow fans to construct their own version through an editing tool package. It could be as simple as pick a scene from available versions and add it to a timeline to then process as a complete movie. Same goes for sound. It would negate all those endless fan versions that always have something wrong with them because no one person can agree on each scene. Let fans build their own version of the original trilogy.
I think most people are just extra keen to see the "original" versions of the first three movies on blu-ray. Almost every movie that has had directors cuts or various edits made to it would still have the original theatrical version of the movie available as well. Its bonkers that Lucas has been so dead set against making the original versions available. I know people like to say that Lucas created them, so he can do what he wants with them, but the original versions are important in their own right and its wrong to essentially wipe them from existence.

Maybe Disney will see fit to release them once the last part of their new trilogy comes out......
Old 07-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #3963

Nov 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmblueocean81 View Post
I think most people are just extra keen to see the "original" versions of the first three movies on blu-ray. Almost every movie that has had directors cuts or various edits made to it would still have the original theatrical version of the movie available as well. Its bonkers that Lucas has been so dead set against making the original versions available. I know people like to say that Lucas created them, so he can do what he wants with them, but the original versions are important in their own right and its wrong to essentially wipe them from existence.
My point is that there will always be some version people prefer. For instance I like some of the changes made for A New Hope but dislike others yet there are others that will feel differently. Releasing the original unaltered versions is good for some but it takes away some of the changes I felt were necessary. Is there even an original version of ANH? Lucas kept tinkering with that movie right into 1981 and beyond. I think Disney should give the consumer a choice to have their own personalised version from the available versions. Obviously if they did things this way then it would end up being a digital set rather than a disc based one but it could work.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #3964

Sep 2014
UK

Disney would be crazy not to release the original Theatrical versions, they would sell a ton. The original versions definitely should be available for fans to buy.

Thankfully the excellent fan made Despecialized and 4k projects, do a fantastic job of preserving the Theatrical versions (as close as possible) on blu-ray / digital, until we can get an official release, if it ever happens.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #3965
Blu-ray Guru

May 2016
Point Loma, San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yautja_Warrior View Post
Disney would be crazy not to release the original Theatrical versions, they would sell a ton. The original versions definitely should be available for fans to buy.

Thankfully the excellent fan made Despecialized and 4k projects, do a fantastic job of preserving the Theatrical versions (as close as possible) on blu-ray / digital, until we can get an official release, if it ever happens.
Funny thing...while I was waiting for Fox/Lucas to come to their senses and release the original versions, I outgrew Star Wars. A friend brought over the "despecialized" versions about 3 years back, we watched Episode IV, and I realized I just didn't care any more. I went ahead and watched V and VI, and I remembered why I liked these movies as a little girl but had no desire to watch anything Star Wars-related again.

If the true versions had been released about 5 years ago or so, I would have bought them in a heartbeat. (For the record, I found the prequels to be mediocre at best. I have not watched any other Star Wars film.)
Old 07-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #3966

Sep 2014
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers73 View Post
Funny thing...while I was waiting for Fox/Lucas to come to their senses and release the original versions, I outgrew Star Wars. A friend brought over the "despecialized" versions about 3 years back, we watched Episode IV, and I realized I just didn't care any more. I went ahead and watched V and VI, and I remembered why I liked these movies as a little girl but had no desire to watch anything Star Wars-related again.

If the true versions had been released about 5 years ago or so, I would have bought them in a heartbeat. (For the record, I found the prequels to be mediocre at best. I have not watched any other Star Wars film.)
Fair enough, I bet there are plenty of people that are sick of waiting at this point, it's been far too long, no thanks to George Lucas trying to erase them from history but having recently watched all 3 originals again, I remembered why I adore these movies all over again and would love to get official versions still.

But if it doesn't happen, at least I have these fantastic fan reconstructions, which are as good as the real thing and only cost me the price of a few blank blu-ray's, 3 cases and a bit of ink to print some covers.
Thanks given by:
101 steel (07-13-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #3967

Jun 2010

I actually still have all three of the original trilogy on VHS from the first UK home video releases.

Not sure how changed they are from the cinema versions, as I no longer have a VHS player to check!
Old 07-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #3968
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

I found a copy of Return of the Jedi SE in Oxfam on DVD so bought that recently. I still don't have A New Hope but I'm glad to own hard copies of two of the three original theatrical versions (even if they're not as ideal as having them in HD). Fingers crossed something gets sorted out in the near future...
Old 07-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #3969

Oct 2015
Essex

I have the old vhs in the loft somewhere. I have the DVDs that came as an extra on that set, but look terrible.
I also have a couple of different harmys editions, and they look great. Until something official comes out, they are the sets to have
Old 07-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #3970
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

I've got these versions somewhere:

[Show spoiler]

Weren't the interviews by Leonard Maltin?

[Show spoiler]

Old 07-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #3971
Blu-ray Knight

May 2018

Yep taken from the laserdisc.
My Star Wars wide screen is missing the subtitles for the aliens
Old 07-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #3972

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]

I have the non-widescreen versions of these, they look truly terrible! They do have the Leonard Maltin interviews though.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #3973
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:

[Show spoiler]
I remember chasing around Cologne, Germany, looking for a shop carrying the UK widescreen versions of those.
Thanks given by:
ZombieTwin2 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #3974
Special Member

Sep 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
For me there's stuff I liked about the SEs and there's stuff in there I could have done without. I've said this lots of time already elsewhere: everybody has their own version of what the original trilogy should look like. Therefore I just don't understand why Disney don't allow fans to construct their own version through an editing tool package. It could be as simple as pick a scene from available versions and add it to a timeline to then process as a complete movie. Same goes for sound. It would negate all those endless fan versions that always have something wrong with them because no one person can agree on each scene. Let fans build their own version of the original trilogy.
They could just update Editdroid
Old 07-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #3975

Jun 2010

Just checked my copies and the Star Wars and Empire ones are part of the earlier 90's digitial remastered, widescreen special editons but the ROTJ version is from 1988 and seems to be original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Star Wars 1991 VHS.jpg (33.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg vhs-video-star-wars-the-empire-strikes-back-original-versions.jpg (55.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg video-roj-uk1.jpg (96.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-19-2019, 11:58 PM   #3976

Nov 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yautja_Warrior View Post
Again the problem is there are things in that fan edit that I'm glad were fixed in the Special Edition. Being able to create out own version would be more ideal.

Quote:
Those were the 1995 releases, aka the 'get them before they're gone for good' releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Mooner View Post
Just checked my copies and the Star Wars and Empire ones are part of the earlier 90's digitial remastered, widescreen special editons but the ROTJ version is from 1988 and seems to be original.
I own the 1994 version of ESB:
Old 07-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #3977
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England

Quote:

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]

Early tapes of that version of Return of the Jedi missed Jabba's subtitles.

I still have the Executor tin set that came out at the same time somewhere.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland