Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
13 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Charlie's Angels: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.79

Upgrade (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$12.99
15 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.64

The Thing (Blu-ray)
$24.00

Leave No Trace (Blu-ray)
$9.99
15 hrs ago
Disobedience (Blu-ray)
$9.99
15 hrs ago
Glass (Blu-ray)
$12.99
17 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Old 04-20-2019, 05:41 AM   #5861

Mar 2010
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyHobo View Post
Other good news!

https://japantoday.com/category/ente...ime-production

Also I will add the new blu-ray to the OP once it gets entered into the forum database.

On a side note, the Suzuki exhibit website was updated. They're selling merch from spirited away like bath tokens. Very jealous...
Not so good news, Suzuki has said at the launch of the exhibit that Miyazaki's new film will be an additional 3 years more than the previous delayed release date.

Back to good news... NHK world's 10 years with Hayao Miyazaki documentary series part 3 airs tonight on NHK world channel, you can stream for free online or through the NHK world app live to watch if you don't have the channel and you can also watch the first 2 parts of the docu on the NHK world site. This docu honestly makes the kingdom of dreams and madness look poor, the insights of Miyazaki, his film making process, moods, his past and family are depths you won't have seen before. Tonight's episode is centered around his son making poppy hill as "sparks begin to fly" the first episode "ponyo is here" was about preproduction of Ponyo frustrations and process as he created the character, the second episode called "drawing what's real" centered around his family life and characters in Ponyo.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/o...hayaomiyazaki/
Thanks given by:
Dragon Ranger (04-25-2019), Strop (05-01-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #5862
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschain View Post
Not so good news, Suzuki has said at the launch of the exhibit that Miyazaki's new film will be an additional 3 years more than the previous delayed release date.

Back to good news... NHK world's 10 years with Hayao Miyazaki documentary series part 3 airs tonight on NHK world channel, you can stream for free online or through the NHK world app live to watch if you don't have the channel and you can also watch the first 2 parts of the docu on the NHK world site. This docu honestly makes the kingdom of dreams and madness look poor, the insights of Miyazaki, his film making process, moods, his past and family are depths you won't have seen before. Tonight's episode is centered around his son making poppy hill as "sparks begin to fly" the first episode "ponyo is here" was about preproduction of Ponyo frustrations and process as he created the character, the second episode called "drawing what's real" centered around his family life and characters in Ponyo.

Nice! Definitely going to check out that series! Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #5863

Mar 2010
Northern Ireland

Ok i translated that wrong, apparently Suzuki said that the storyboards for Miyazaki's new film are almost finished and hopefully the film will hopefully be out in 2022
Old 04-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #5864

May 2011

Quote:

Thanks Deschain for the heads up on the NHK series - what an absolute treat and the fact it's narrated in English is a huge bonus! I downloaded the app and it's certainly a keeper with the other content on there too. Have to say, even having been embraced and welcomed by Miyazaki 4 years ago when I cold called him (!) - he was a pure ass hat to Goro during the production of Earthsea. Sad to see. Very self centred and self absorbed but he does see this himself on reflection, and has moments where he considers the implications of his behaviour and relationship with his son. Nonetheless, as we already know, Miyazaki is a very unique individual for sure and one who's eventual passing in whoever knows how many years' time will resonate all over the globe. Let's just hope he manages to finish his new feature in time.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #5865
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Thank you for the link to that series; that's my viewing for the next few days sorted!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #5866

Mar 2010
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelgutheil View Post
Thanks Deschain for the heads up on the NHK series - what an absolute treat and the fact it's narrated in English is a huge bonus! I downloaded the app and it's certainly a keeper with the other content on there too. Have to say, even having been embraced and welcomed by Miyazaki 4 years ago when I cold called him (!) - he was a pure ass hat to Goro during the production of Earthsea. Sad to see. Very self centred and self absorbed but he does see this himself on reflection, and has moments where he considers the implications of his behaviour and relationship with his son. Nonetheless, as we already know, Miyazaki is a very unique individual for sure and one who's eventual passing in whoever knows how many years' time will resonate all over the globe. Let's just hope he manages to finish his new feature in time.
Hahaha il bet it made you think you're glad you caught him on a good day!
the thing about Miyazaki is he doesn't hold anyone else to a standard he won't live up to or hold himself to, he thinks everyone should be as committed as he is, in episode 3 he said something like "when you direct a film you've got to be prepared to work til your nose bleeds".

His assessment of Goro in episode 1 and 2 was brutal but honest and spot on, saying he looks at his work and sees his son is still a boy and anyone who's seen earthsea knows the film showed it, then in episode 1 & 2 you see Hayao's thought process and how much gravity he gives decisions, small movements and actions of characters in his films.

It's so tough for Goro, he really hung in there and walked the line of doing his own thing whilst still being able to take Hayao's advice when making Poppyhill and he proved himself with the film, I'd forgotten Goro did the storyboards, when you see him drawing in episode 3 it's clear that he has great art skill too. I can only guess that the biggest vaildation he's received in his animation career when Hayao sent the message to Goro after seeing Poppyhill "threaten me" to acknowledge that his film was a high standard and issuing the challenge for him to make a work to challenge Hayao's films. Goro's response of "don't die" was pretty hilarious!
Old 04-30-2019, 08:26 AM   #5867

May 2011

Quote:
Hahaha il bet it made you think you're glad you caught him on a good day!
the thing about Miyazaki is he doesn't hold anyone else to a standard he won't live up to or hold himself to, he thinks everyone should be as committed as he is, in episode 3 he said something like "when you direct a film you've got to be prepared to work til your nose bleeds".

His assessment of Goro in episode 1 and 2 was brutal but honest and spot on, saying he looks at his work and sees his son is still a boy and anyone who's seen earthsea knows the film showed it, then in episode 1 & 2 you see Hayao's thought process and how much gravity he gives decisions, small movements and actions of characters in his films.

It's so tough for Goro, he really hung in there and walked the line of doing his own thing whilst still being able to take Hayao's advice when making Poppyhill and he proved himself with the film, I'd forgotten Goro did the storyboards, when you see him drawing in episode 3 it's clear that he has great art skill too. I can only guess that the biggest vaildation he's received in his animation career when Hayao sent the message to Goro after seeing Poppyhill "threaten me" to acknowledge that his film was a high standard and issuing the challenge for him to make a work to challenge Hayao's films. Goro's response of "don't die" was pretty hilarious!
You're right; after watching episode 3 I can see his angle when it comes to his son. I guess his physical and literal distance he places between he and Goro is very strange, for us in the West at least, but as we all know, expectation on Japanese children to perform (even when fully grown) is immense.
Dang there's something about seeing Miyazaki cry that absolutely crushes me! As Deschain says, this series is very revealing compared to the Kingdom doc and shows Miyazaki displaying some quite scary behaviour - passionate no doubt - but when he shouts at his staff for stopping working after the 2011 tsunami and quake, I actually felt like I was being told off too! I adore his sentiments and small bubble in which he lives his life. No smart phone, no tablet and only using computers when leaning over a staffer's back to check the quality of their work. He seems remarkably healthy too for someone who's lived a very sentient lifestyle and has chain smoked since forever...the quality and purity of his life must override these glaring health factors; somehow. Compelling viewing and I can't wait for episode 4.

Last edited by joelgutheil; 04-30-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:57 PM   #5868

Aug 2014
Orlando

Any idea when episode 4 is going up?
Also anyone know if the recent Never Ending Man was cut from the same NHK footage? I think its the same guy filming.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #5869

Mar 2010
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghornett View Post
Any idea when episode 4 is going up?
Also anyone know if the recent Never Ending Man was cut from the same NHK footage? I think its the same guy filming.
Next episode is 20th May I think, so should be up maybe 21st or 22nd.
No, I'm pretty sure never ending man is a different time Period, 10 years with Miyazaki starts in late 2005, and never ending man starts in 2015 so maybe there's a small overlap?

They showed never ending man on NHK too but it wasn't the full Japanese NHK TV version which I watched when it was on YouTube for a short while, I'm assuming it's the longer version which has been released in America! As the NHK world version was only 50 mins.

I'm not sure if it's the same person filming, it does seem like the same format but 10 years with Miyazaki felt a lot more revealing. a quick look at the credits online should tell! But seeing as they were both shown on NHK it seems likely!

Can't wait to see the last episode!
Old 05-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #5870

Aug 2014
Orlando

Never Ending Man US cut was about an hour so maybe. Wonder just how much footage they have then!
Old 06-11-2019, 04:29 AM   #5871
Special Member

Apr 2013

Studio Ponoc will be releasing a new short for the Olympics.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/intervie...cy-175332.html
Old 06-11-2019, 08:02 AM   #5872

Mar 2010
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Tajomaru View Post
Studio Ponoc will be releasing a new short for the Olympics.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/intervie...cy-175332.html
I saw that yesterday and thought disappointing Japan took the cheap option. I don't think ghibli would have turned it down as they're always doing advert projects, but you'd think Miyazaki would get first refusal. Who knows maybe Miyazaki thinks new eara time for someone else to do it? Maybe too busy working on his own film and seems like he's found the ability not to over stretch himself. I'm sure Goro is too busy working on his new film also. End ramblings!
Old 06-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #5873
Expert Member

Jan 2011

There's a six hour forty minute documentary on the making of Princess Mononoke, it's only available from Japan, does anyone know if the DVD release has English subtitles?

Here it is on Amazon Japan -

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00005Q5C6/
Old 06-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #5874

Apr 2017

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/VWDZ-8016

Doesn't look like it.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:38 PM   #5875
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_d View Post
That's a great pity, thanks!
Old 06-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #5876
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
That's a great pity, thanks!
I have it, and no, it doesn't have subtitles except for a short segment on the third disc.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #5877
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Thanks for the additional confirmation.

I guess I'll need to learn Japanese!
Old 07-15-2019, 10:59 PM   #5878

Mar 2010
Northern Ireland

Has anyone preordered the new shorts bluray out this week?
If anyone gets it can they confirm if it's region locked? I think the listing says it's region locked and if it is I won't bother buying it.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:00 PM   #5879
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote:
Has anyone preordered the new shorts bluray out this week?
If anyone gets it can they confirm if it's region locked? I think the listing says it's region locked and if it is I won't bother buying it.
I have, and Amazon just charged my card, so hopefully I should have it in my hands on Friday and can check then if it's locked or not.
Thanks given by:
deschain (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 07:04 PM   #5880

Mar 2010
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Riot View Post
I have, and Amazon just charged my card, so hopefully I should have it in my hands on Friday and can check then if it's locked or not.
Thanks!! That’d be great, I’m jealous that America and Japan share a region this time.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia