Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
7 hrs ago
50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Charlie's Angels: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.79

Antz (Blu-ray)
$6.99
22 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$8.99
16 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Upgrade (Blu-ray)
$9.99

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Us (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Glass (Blu-ray)
$12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Old 04-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2014
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim_tales View Post
What are the Police Story transfers like? Upscales or true HD?
Upscales but they look ok
Old 04-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013
St. Albans, UK

Thanks I hope its true about the release of ABT
Old 04-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #23
Special Member

Mar 2010
Liverpool,UK

Quote:
What are the Police Story transfers like? Upscales or true HD?
these are all just ports of the HK Upscales.unless you like fancy packaging stick with the HKR discs
Old 04-27-2015, 06:55 PM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013
St. Albans, UK

Thanks
Old 04-29-2015, 05:46 AM   #25
Expert Member

Nov 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysam View Post
these are all just ports of the HK Upscales.unless you like fancy packaging stick with the HKR discs
But those covers...
Old 04-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

Depends on why you buy Blu Rays -- for the films or the sleeves?

If it's the sleeves have at it.

Everyone else is better off sticking with cheaper DVDs.

Almost anything sourced from Fortune Star is K-rap.

There's nothing else to say.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:26 AM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2014
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post

They're region free films like the Swordsman don't get a single region B release
Old 04-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #28

Jan 2013

Quote:

Fancy artwork and sleeves are still no way to justify the crapness of Fortune Star video quality. Ditch them and support and spread the word for Vicol instead. They have potential, hope they'll be able to acquire rights of other FS Golden Harvest titles one day.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #29

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huseyin View Post
They're region free films like the Swordsman don't get a single region B release
I'd stick with the old HKL dvd of Swordsman, think that one's perfect enough until a new true HD blu-ray pops up, if ever. And that UK HKL dvd also has a magnificent commentary track with Bey Logan, which are big thumbs up to me.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken81 View Post
Fancy artwork and sleeves are still no way to justify the crapness of Fortune Star video quality. Ditch them and support and spread the word for Vicol instead. They have potential, hope they'll be able to acquire rights of other FS Golden Harvest titles one day.

Yes, the FS upscales suck. But, for the most part, they still are an improvement over the old dvd`s that I have. However, the HKL releases were better than anything that we got here in the US, for the most part.

And, isn't Vicol just showing films theatrically? I would support them if they are going to release true HD theatrical prints with original soundtrack cleaned up on blu-ray. If they have no plans to release on blu then I am not sure how it will benefit all of us. I don't think that I am near where they are showing the films.

Quote:
I'd stick with the old HKL dvd of Swordsman, think that one's perfect enough until a new true HD blu-ray pops up, if ever. And that UK HKL dvd also has a magnificent commentary track with Bey Logan, which are big thumbs up to me.

Too bad those HKL are OOP. The extras on those are something else. Sadly, I never got a copy of Swordsman on dvd.
Anyways, though, a lot of these older dvd releases are no longer available unless eBay or illegal download, etc. Loved Bey`s commentaries on the DD releases.

Right now, if people want true HD then they should check out some of these Jackie Chan Japanese Extreme Edition blu-rays that were just released. Not a great improvement over the upscales but they are from the theatrical prints. Of course, no English subs. Only a couple of them have the English dub.
Thanks given by:
Huseyin (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013
St. Albans, UK

Who are Vicol? I havent heard of them
Old 04-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2014
London, UK

I don't know why they get so much stick?? If there was a better alternative which was easily available fair enough but if there isn't just enjoy what you get. I personally don't mind them. And I love these titles
Old 04-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #33

Jan 2013

Quote:
Who are Vicol? I havent heard of them
Check the other threads here on newly released blu-rays of Rich & Famous, Stephen Chow movies, etc.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #34

Feb 2012
Lithuania, Kaunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huseyin View Post
I don't know why they get so much stick?? If there was a better alternative which was easily available fair enough but if there isn't just enjoy what you get. I personally don't mind them.
If you do not care about the video/audio presentation and you're simply happy by having a nice shiny packaging on your shelf then more power to you, but please don't start this "why is everyone so unhappy with Fortune Star releases, they are pretty good" nonsense here. Most of the FS bluray releases have video quality which even compared to the standards of year 2005 DVD quality isn't THAT good, and most of them are simply that - standard def (DVD) upscales with some red-ish tint applied to them making the skintones look like the actors just came out of the steam bath or sauna. The lack of original audio tracks do not help either as the their 7.1 upmixes with new audio effects sound pretty bad too. Better alternative is either getting a previously released DVD and not supporting shit product or simply waiting for a better Bluray release. I don't even want to comment on "enjoy what you get" part...
Thanks given by:
Markgway (04-30-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #35
Power Member

Dec 2009
United States

Ditto, that.

They look like DVDs that have been fed through some kind of video equivalent of Photoshop Paint - in other words, AWFUL.

Some people think they're better than the DVDs - I disagree. I think they're actually worse, because it drives me nuts looking at a hi-def medium encoded with a lo-def source and makes me angry because the people involved in mastering them seemingly don't give a !(@*# about the quality of their own product.

Why the passion? Because I love these films and I want to see them properly remastered and looking great and Fortune Star's blu-rays have failed so badly at this that I won't even consider buying them anymore.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #36
Expert Member

Nov 2009

Have to agree with the last two posts, they are poor and more importantly conning the public into thinking they are getting HD versions when they are not and dont get me started on the 7.1 remix crap.
I will support Vicol, have ordered God of Gamblers and hopefully there other releases will be true HD as well. The more people buy FS upscales the more they will continue to release them.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:59 PM   #37
Expert Member

Nov 2013
-

Quote:

I buy for the films, definitely. Yet at the same time, for favorite films of mine (like Police Story), I love to get editions that have good looking artwork.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2014
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
I buy for the films, definitely. Yet at the same time, for favorite films of mine (like Police Story), I love to get editions that have good looking artwork.
That's what I trying to get at. I love these films I would have several versions of these films because I grew up watching them. If you want the highest standard of picture that isn't my concern but I just love these movies. That's all. I don't expect you all to understand.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:01 AM   #39
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Ditch them and support and spread the word for Vicol instead. They have potential, hope they'll be able to acquire rights of other FS Golden Harvest titles one day.
I can't support them until they include original audio tracks.
The fact that they're using proper HD actually makes them more frustrating.
At least I know the FS crap is entirely crap from the outset.

Quote:
I believe that the R3 DVD (it's either IVL or Joy Sales -- can't remember which?) is the best available (with an SD remaster and original mono).
Old 04-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #40
Expert Member

Nov 2009

Would prefer mono but will put up with 5.1 remix if it only includes the original sound and not anything extra added.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia