Best Nintendo 3DS Game Deals

Best Nintendo 3DS Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Etrian Odyssey Nexus (3DS)
$29.99
14 hrs ago
Sushi Striker: The Way of the Sushido (3DS)
$13.40

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
$28.99

Fire Emblem Warriors (3DS)
$20.99

Pokťmon Ultra Moon (3DS)
$30.99

Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond The Myth (3DS)
$29.96
15 hrs ago
The Alliance Alive Launch Edition (3DS)
$25.99

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux (3DS)
$27.00

Warioware Gold (3DS)
$32.84

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey (3DS)
$32.84

Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn (3DS)
$31.49

Jake Hunter: Ghost of the Dusk (3DS)
$21.47

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo 3DS

Old 06-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #21
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I have bought and played every main pokemon game since Red and Blue. I'd dread to think how many hours I've put in to them. I know I had upwards of 350 hours in Blue and another 300-400 in to Silver and Gold, after that I stopped counting. But more recently I've only been putting in about 40 hours, and that's because the whole Gotta catch em all concept died.

In the first two generations, it was more than possible to get a complete pokedex without much trouble, but these days there are now crossing the 800 pokemon mark.I'd like to see that poke rap...

It's just gotten silly now, so I mostly just play for the fun of it and nostalgia. 17 years of habit is hard to break.
To be fair, legendary Pokemon are easier than ever to catch on games like ORAS and with all the internet/Gamestop distributions going on. I'm pretty sure I could get a full Pokedex towards the end of the year if I really wanted to do it without much hassle. The problem I see with the series is that they always go one step forward and two steps back. Gameplay-wise, the series has made lots of improvement and now we're seeing a more competent graphics engine in action. But the beat 8 gyms in a linear form, then the elite four, and then the champion format has to go. Stories in Pokemon games are the epitome of bland, boring, and predictable. And the argument that they're meant for children is moot when games like Mass Effect, Telltale Games, and even Zelda are the standard by which kids will judge these games. This isnít 1998 anymore.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #22
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniros View Post
To be fair, legendary Pokemon are easier than ever to catch on games like ORAS and with all the internet/Gamestop distributions going on. I'm pretty sure I could get a full Pokedex towards the end of the year if I really wanted to do it without much hassle. The problem I see with the series is that they always go one step forward and two steps back. Gameplay-wise, the series has made lots of improvement and now we're seeing a more competent graphics engine in action. But the beat 8 gyms in a linear form, then the elite four, and then the champion format has to go. Stories in Pokemon games are the epitome of bland, boring, and predictable. And the argument that they're meant for children is moot when games like Mass Effect, Telltale Games, and even Zelda are the standard by which kids will judge these games. This isnít 1998 anymore.
I agree, the stories are rubbish, I couldn't even tell you what they were about half the time. But I think the trouble there lies with the games target audience which is the younger child of reading age, so I feel it's kept pretty simple for that reason which is a shame.

I wish there was a game targeted at the more mature players.

They did a mini anime series not too long ago that was brutal compared to the main series

I love that when squirtel uses bite he literally tries to bite charmanders face off whilst charmander is screaming in pain....

This was also a little more mature than most pokemon related stuff

If we could get a game with a bit of a darker more serious tone I'd be happy.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #23
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Looks like Europe are getting steelbooks again. I love the inside art, should go nicely with ORAS steelbooks.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:51 AM   #24
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Ok, so this might have just got real interesting...

Seems a leak that cane out of China gained some credibility with the announcement of the new pokemon Salandit.

The original leak says that there are NO traditional Pokemon Gyms in Sun and Moon and NO Pokemon League either.

The aim of this game is to create one yourself. Once you do an Elite Four appear and they are the leaders of the four Islands of the Alola region.

Here's the full translation and the final evolutions of the starter pokemon.
  • There will be no traditional Gyms and no Pokťmon League in Alola. Your goal is to actually create one. After you do, an Elite 4 will appear which are the leaders of each island
  • The final starter evolutions will be an Archer, a Wrestler and a Siren
  • The diamond stones will be collectible throughout the region and act similarly to Mega Stones but not exactly
  • New Pokťmon based on a dolphin, sea cucumber, snowman, mushroom and a rugby monkey are there
  • Rockruffís evolution is a Werewolf
  • Mashadow, another copyrighted Pokťmon name, has a very unique type combo

If this turns out to be true then I am more excited for this pokemon game than I have been in a very long time.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #25
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

The steelbooks are available for for order in the US!

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Sun-M...c0648bfb10e96b
Old 07-14-2016, 01:19 AM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2015
Austin, TX

If those rumors turn out to be true I might actually pick this up
Old 07-14-2016, 02:15 AM   #27
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
The steelbooks are available for for order in the US!

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Sun-M...c0648bfb10e96b
Too bad you have to buy both games to get it.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #28
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightslicesofpie View Post
If those rumors turn out to be true I might actually pick this up
I'll be picking it up anyway, but if they are true then I will be very excited to finally get a new experience in a mainline pokemon game after 20 years!

The fact that we have not seen a single hint at a gym yet is quite strange. So maybe it is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
Too bad you have to buy both games to get it.
I was just looking back over my collection and I have actually got every single version of the main pokemon games released in the UK, all still with their boxes. I hadn't really realised that before.

I used to get both so that I could get all the version exclusive pokemon and I would trade them with myself over two gameboys

It's odd though that for me everything after Gen 3 is really rather forgettable. But this game so far seems to be the biggest leap in terms of graphics and art direction in the series, what with the world having actual scale to buildings and pokemon.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:40 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2015
Austin, TX

Went ahead and preordered Moon! Not sure if I'll play at release (since FFXV will be out a couple weeks before, dunno if I'll be done with it by the time this comes out) but I figured I might as well get the Amazon Prime 20% off with preorder.

Also preordered the collector's edition strategy guide. Got fond memories as a kid playin with my Gameboy with the guide open, checking the maps for items and trainer locations and what level I needed to be to get which abilities...gonna be a nice nostalgic playthrough with this ~
Old 08-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #30
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Wow, new trailer had loads of new features. No gyms confirmed but you now have island trials to complete, and there are new forms of classic pokemon. Vulpix Alola form fit example is now a. Ice type!

Last edited by Mavrick; 08-01-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:51 PM   #31
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

It looks like the leaked art for the starter solutions is legit. If you look closely the sketch looks identical to the character revealed in today's trailer, i hope all the leaks were true

Old 08-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #32
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

It seems that we might finally be getting rid of HMs!

These new Poke Rides can be called on at any time, so far we have seen Fly, Surf and Rock Smash, it will be awesome not having to waste move slots on HMs, and adding the 5th move is pretty awesome too. This is the biggest refresh to the Pokemon series in quite some time.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

I'm thinking of getting Moon when it comes out. The footage and news has sold me pretty well, I think. It looks like they're playing around with the formula and changing things up a bit, which makes it interesting.

I actually really haven't played a Pokemon game since the GBA titles. I've bought a couple since then, but never really got to playing them (like most games I've bought in the past years, lol). But I feel like this is the one.

Though there are so many Pokemon and so many variables now, it seems kinda overwhelming to get into. Haha.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #34
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post
I'm thinking of getting Moon when it comes out. The footage and news has sold me pretty well, I think. It looks like they're playing around with the formula and changing things up a bit, which makes it interesting.

I actually really haven't played a Pokemon game since the GBA titles. I've bought a couple since then, but never really got to playing them (like most games I've bought in the past years, lol). But I feel like this is the one.

Though there are so many Pokemon and so many variables now, it seems kinda overwhelming to get into. Haha.

That's why they dropped the Gotta Catch 'em all tag, too many pokemon now. You don't get all the pokemon in any one game though so it's not that overwhelming, there will probably be around 70 new ones in Sun and Moon as well as a few of the old favourites to bulk up the numbers.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:38 PM   #35
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Alola Raichu looks awesome

Old 09-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #36
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011

might be a dumb question....I have a young son who loves watching Indigo League on Netflix. All of my knowledge about pokemon comes just from watching with him. I somehow got through my teens/20s/and half of my 30s without learning a thing about this franchise.

Did they ever make a game where you play as Ash and the other main characters?
Old 09-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #37
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by West E View Post
might be a dumb question....I have a young son who loves watching Indigo League on Netflix. All of my knowledge about pokemon comes just from watching with him. I somehow got through my teens/20s/and half of my 30s without learning a thing about this franchise.

Did they ever make a game where you play as Ash and the other main characters?
The closest they came to it was Pokemon Yellow on the Gameboy. You can get it on the 3DS now along with Red and Blue.
Thanks given by:
West E (09-08-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 10:55 PM   #38
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Thought you'd be interested Mav. Collectors vault strategy guide.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/09/2...-on-amazon-uk/
Thanks given by:
Mavrick (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 11:27 PM   #39
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
Thought you'd be interested Mav. Collectors vault strategy guide.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/09/2...-on-amazon-uk/
£100.09p lol Why the 9p?

I would love to own that but I need to save for NX
Old 10-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2015
Austin, TX

The demo was pretty short and slight but I had fun with it. I love the look of the game and the upgrades to the battles (showing type, status effects, effective/not effective moves, etc.). Excited to get the full game in a month and transfer my Ash-Greninja and all the extra items ~
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo 3DS