Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$76.99
15 hrs ago
Betty Blue (Blu-ray)
$29.49
4 hrs ago
50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$62.99
4 hrs ago
Now, Voyager (Blu-ray)
$27.37
4 hrs ago
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74

All About Eve (Blu-ray)
$29.49
4 hrs ago
Cold War (Blu-ray)
$29.49
4 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Man of Steel 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 06-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #41

Nov 2011
Las Vegas

Going to have submit mine in pieces since I'm mostly only viewing this from work...

To borrow from the previous post, two things to mention:

The Accountant - There were an extra 6-8 people in my house in various places in the open area where my system is when I watched this movie. I literally watched all of them duck when that rifle went off. Amazing.

Battle Los Angeles - I haven't watched this movie on my rig since before I had tower speakers and a bigger sub, but I did watch it when I had front LR with 8" woofers and small surrounds with 4" ones and a single SB2000 sub. A friend watched it with me and grinned the whole time. Meanwhile, I was amazed, but frowned the whole time waiting on my neighbors to come tell me I had to dismantle my HT, ha. Such an active mix, gunshots and effects from every corner of the room. A real "you are in the middle of the action" type of mix that makes you wonder why every movie with such content isn't mixed so well.

Now to think of my 5.....
Thanks given by:
gotmule (06-28-2018), seadaddy (02-21-2019)
Old 06-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #42
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Any MCU titles worth mentioning?
Winter Soldier had a great track that I recall, and as someone else said, even GoG Vol.1 was not too bad
Old 06-28-2018, 08:10 PM   #43

Nov 2011
Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
Winter Soldier had a great track that I recall, and as someone else said, even GoG Vol.1 was not too bad
I only remember the first Thor standing out audio-wise for me...
Old 06-28-2018, 11:49 PM   #44

Feb 2010

Quote:
Within the MCU, I would have to throw in:

Incredible Hulk

Thor

Winter Soldier

Guardians of the Galaxy

Dr Strange

Spider-Man Homecoming
Old 06-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #45
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmule View Post

Incredible Hulk

Thor

Winter Soldier

Guardians of the Galaxy

Dr Strange

Spider-Man Homecoming
The best one (although Sony) to me remains Amazing Spider-Man 2 in Dolby Atmos...Amazing!
Old 06-30-2018, 12:27 AM   #46

Feb 2010

Quote:
The best one (although Sony) to me remains Amazing Spider-Man 2 in Dolby Atmos...Amazing!
I have not double dipped on that one yet, but might have to check it out once there is a good deal on the 4K.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #47
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
I have not double dipped on that one yet, but might have to check it out once there is a good deal on the 4K.
It is really remarkable, from the score to the overhead effects, everything is top notch and perfectly balanced LFE
Thanks given by:
Starkscream (07-01-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #48

Feb 2010

Quote:
It is really remarkable, from the score to the overhead effects, everything is top notch and perfectly balanced LFE
The reviewer on this site commented that it could have used more weight to the bottom end. What was your experience?
Old 07-01-2018, 03:50 AM   #49
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkscream View Post
Going to have submit mine in pieces since I'm mostly only viewing this from work...

To borrow from the previous post, two things to mention:

The Accountant - There were an extra 6-8 people in my house in various places in the open area where my system is when I watched this movie. I literally watched all of them duck when that rifle went off. Amazing.

Battle Los Angeles - I haven't watched this movie on my rig since before I had tower speakers and a bigger sub, but I did watch it when I had front LR with 8" woofers and small surrounds with 4" ones and a single SB2000 sub. A friend watched it with me and grinned the whole time. Meanwhile, I was amazed, but frowned the whole time waiting on my neighbors to come tell me I had to dismantle my HT, ha. Such an active mix, gunshots and effects from every corner of the room. A real "you are in the middle of the action" type of mix that makes you wonder why every movie with such content isn't mixed so well.

Now to think of my 5.....
the rifle blasts AND the finale with all the guns blaring away was ridiculously loud.

as to 'Battle' - I saw this in an ETX auditorium before it got changed over to a Dolby Cinema venue, but good lord, I've never heard bass have so many octaves, the ultra low literally rumbled the floors.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #50

Nov 2011
Las Vegas

Quote:
My first UHD disc purchase...and I still haven't watched it. Thanks for the motivation.
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (07-02-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #51

Nov 2011
Las Vegas

Quote:

Incredible Hulk
Going to buy the UHD disc for this for the enhanced audio...
Old 07-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #52

Feb 2010

Quote:
Going to buy the UHD disc for this for the enhanced audio...
I used to use the original 5.1 mix to dial in my system on occasion, so I had to check out DTS-X on the UHD. I wouldnt say it is the best use of overheads but the overall mix is still very strong.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:34 PM   #53

Nov 2011
Las Vegas

Quote:
I used to use the original 5.1 mix to dial in my system on occasion, so I had to check out DTS-X on the UHD. I wouldnt say it is the best use of overheads but the overall mix is still very strong.
Would you say it's an upgrade at all?
Old 07-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #54

Feb 2010

Quote:
Would you say it's an upgrade at all?
I have not done any A/B comparisons to the original, but if I had to guess, I would say that it is one of the movies where there ran it through an up mixer and coded it as DTS-X maybe adding in a couple of scenes worth of effects. It didnít seem like they created a new mix for the entire movie. I donít think it is worth double dipping since the original sounded great, but if you donít own the original, then it might be worth it. I came across the same thing with the UHD copy of Source Code where there wasnít a lot going on overhead that an up mixer couldnít accomplish.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #55
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
The reviewer on this site commented that it could have used more weight to the bottom end. What was your experience?
I thought it was very well balanced
Old 07-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
Los Angeles, CA

I watched Incredible Hulk 4K yesterday and was really impressed by the DTS-X track.

Wish all the MCU 4K discs were as impressive.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #57
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee View Post
I watched Incredible Hulk 4K yesterday and was really impressed by the DTS-X track.

Wish all the MCU 4K discs were as impressive.
I just can't watch the Hulk without Mark Ruffalo playing the role
Old 07-02-2018, 11:53 PM   #58

Feb 2010

Some of the early reviews are coming in saying that A Quiet Place has amazing audio and is a reference quality Atmos mix. Easily a first day buy for me.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:05 AM   #59
Special Member

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

Geez, this is so difficult. Only 5?!
Don't know if I could put these in a priority order, but:

Rambo (2008) - This 7.1 audio mix is astounding. The sound of rain pelting during the nighttime rescue sequence is stellar. So, too, is the LFE and ambient jungle sounds during the final 25 minutes. When the sniper mercenary fires a shot in the air to attract the soldiers, it's just really fun hearing that echo. The titular .50 cal sequence, too... watching the movie up TO that point is like an ever-increasing countdown to "The Spectacular".

Blade Runner 2049 - Da bass. OMG. It's not just bass, though. It's also the soundtrack, the subtle additions between overheads and directionality, even in seemingly innocuous moments. That scene when K's almost abducted, and the drone strike occurs... sexy.

The Revenant - With this taking place almost entirely outside, and the camera is often spinning around slowly with a lot of "things" happening around the characters, there is plenty opportunity to shift audio cues across the speakers WITH the camera. What is also really wonderful is how "natural" everything sounds. Screaming voices, gunshots, arrows whizzing through the air, ricochets and flowing water... all of these effects have a natural, tactile audio texture. Not only that, the mix isn't overblown with spectacle, and the acoustics boast one of the most immersive and realistic representations of outdoor sound that I've come across. There's an unspoken sense of expansiveness and natural decay with transient voices, and trickling water, or percussive feedback from feet stomping on a wooden boat, etc... it is so realistic sounding that explaining the accuracy is harder to define verbally (or in text) than by merely listening to it while In The Moment.
I don't really like this movie, but the video/audio presentation is stellar.

Dunkirk - This is an amazing 5.1 track, once again playing it more "natural" instead of overtly "boastful". I was watching it with a friend of mine, and when the bomber flies over Tom Hardy's plane, my buddy just went "Oh my god. The sound, it's so GOOD." This is another great audio track that isn't trying to blow you out of your seat, but instead has a kind of finesse that goes understated most of the time, with bursts of insanity when the moment calls for it (such as when the ship is hit with torpedoes).

Tomb Raider - That sea storm bit... ohh myyy! Made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck! This is another great looking and sounding movie that would be fun to show off to your friends, if they don't know what great audio is about.

There are so many other great titles, though. I could make a list of 30-40 movies that have "reference" level, but for different reasons. Basically, some are great because of the finesse; others are great because they are boastful and just plain in-your-face.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #60

Nov 2011
Las Vegas

Quote:
I just can't watch the Hulk without Mark Ruffalo playing the role
I don't think I mind Ruffalo as Banner, but I don't like the design of the Hulk himself Avengers forward. I much preferred the visual power of the 2008 movie design.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion