Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
20 hrs ago
50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Man of Steel 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Charlie's Angels: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.79

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Thing (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Antz (Blu-ray)
$6.99

Brightburn (Blu-ray)
$19.99

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$12.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 12-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011
Default No 720p/1080i support over component cables?

I just ran into a major snag connecting my new 4k Onkyo receiver.

I have lots of devices filling up my HDMI ports so I was planning on connecting my cable box to the receiver via the old component connections (the 3 colored cables - red, green and blue) rather than it tying up an HDMI port, since my cable box only outputs 1080i or 720p or less, so why take up an extra HDMI port with it?

But, I just discovered my new 4k receiver only allows SD resolutions through component! I called Onkyo to confirm and they confirmed that component is restricted to 480i or 576 now due to copyright protection restrictions, and the industry wanting you to use HDMI. I'm stunned, because for years I've used my old Yamaha with the cable box sending 720p or 1080i without issue. Now this forces me to use another HDMI port for my lousy cable box.

Is this the same with other brands of new 4k receivers (Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Denon)? Oknyo told me none of their new receivers support HD resolutions through component now. I don't know if I should consider another brand that doesn't have this restriction, or if I'm screwed no matter what?

Why bother including component at all then if it's going to be so severely limited?

Can I thank my government and the studios for this limitation, or are other manufacturers still giving us the ability to use component as we see fit?

I did talk to Pioneer and they confirmed they also restrict component to Sd due to industry regulations now. I tried calling some other manufacturers to ask if they have those same restrictions but I can't get anybody else to answer any calls - I'm just stuck on hold "unusually high call volume blah blah blah".
Old 12-27-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Cable box HDMI straight to the TV?
Old 12-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Which Onkyo receiver?
Old 12-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

I'd probably use the HDMI if it's an issue, I think it's quite common now. MY AVR converts component video through the HDMI (which not all do), but only SD interlaced.

You can get AVR's with 6-7 HDMI inputs, hopefully that's enough!
Old 12-27-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
Which Onkyo receiver?
Onkyo TX-NR676.

Quote:
Cable box HDMI straight to the TV?
Yeah, that's the obvious solution. I only have 3 HDMI inputs on my LG TV, and I thought 2 were already taken up, but as it turns out, only 2 are taken up, and there's one port left open, so I can use the TV's HDMI port for my cable box, and I have it set to output the sound through my sound bar, so it works out. But now I'm maxed out for my HDMI connections on both the receiver and the TV.

If I could have used the component connection the way I have been for years on this new receiver, that would free up one HDMI port on the TV. Luckily I've got it worked out for now but it's frustrating to have connections limited like this.

I guess that's what happens when you have so many devices.

Last edited by mar3o; 12-27-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:24 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

The added benefit of going direct to the TV is independent picture settings. Going through the receiver, those devices have to share picture settings. So that's a plus!

If you end up needing more hdmi ports, just get a cheap hdmi switcher and use on the less popular devices.

What all do you have connected?
Old 12-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
The added benefit of going direct to the TV is independent picture settings. Going through the receiver, those devices have to share picture settings. So that's a plus!

If you end up needing more hdmi ports, just get a cheap hdmi switcher and use on the less popular devices.

What all do you have connected?
Well 3 disc players for starters (1 for region A/3D discs, 1 for region B only discs, and now my UHD player. Plus several streaming boxes.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
I just ran into a major snag connecting my new 4k Onkyo receiver.

I have lots of devices filling up my HDMI ports so I was planning on connecting my cable box to the receiver via the old component connections (the 3 colored cables - red, green and blue) rather than it tying up an HDMI port, since my cable box only outputs 1080i or 720p or less, so why take up an extra HDMI port with it?

But, I just discovered my new 4k receiver only allows SD resolutions through component! I called Onkyo to confirm and they confirmed that component is restricted to 480i or 576 now due to copyright protection restrictions, and the industry wanting you to use HDMI. I'm stunned, because for years I've used my old Yamaha with the cable box sending 720p or 1080i without issue. Now this forces me to use another HDMI port for my lousy cable box.

Is this the same with other brands of new 4k receivers (Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Denon)? Oknyo told me none of their new receivers support HD resolutions through component now. I don't know if I should consider another brand that doesn't have this restriction, or if I'm screwed no matter what?

Why bother including component at all then if it's going to be so severely limited?

Can I thank my government and the studios for this limitation, or are other manufacturers still giving us the ability to use component as we see fit?

I did talk to Pioneer and they confirmed they also restrict component to Sd due to industry regulations now. I tried calling some other manufacturers to ask if they have those same restrictions but I can't get anybody else to answer any calls - I'm just stuck on hold "unusually high call volume blah blah blah".
Have you thought about getting a HDMI Switcher? A switcher will give you extra HDMI input connections for your TV, and will eliminate the problem. These are the best switcher for this year:

https://www.bestreviews.guide/hdmi-s...&google_params

Last edited by slimdude; 12-27-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Wasn't sure if an HDMI switcher would degrade quality or affect copy protection. Are those switchers fully compliant with the latest requirements (HDCP2.2)? Do they affect video/audio quality?

For now I'm all set but it would be nice to know this could be an option later if needed.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Wasn't sure if an HDMI switcher would degrade quality or affect copy protection. Are those switchers fully compliant with the latest requirements (HDCP2.2)? Do they affect video/audio quality?

For now I'm all set but it would be nice to know this could be an option later if needed.
It shouldn't affect the A/V quality as long as it's compliant, and good HDMI cables are used. You don't have to get one, it's just suggestion, but here's one that has HDCP2.2, and one is Dolby Vision compatible :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JN7Q672

https://www.amazon.com/ROOFULL-Switc...F793HQ?ie=UTF8
Thanks given by:
mar3o (12-27-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

It's still baffling that they won't even allow 720p over component any more. Exactly how do they think that will have any impact whatsoever on their profits? Because I'm sure pirates copy stuff over 720p component in 2018.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
It's still baffling that they won't even allow 720p over component any more. Exactly how do they think that will have any impact whatsoever on their profits? Because I'm sure pirates copy stuff over 720p component in 2018.
I wouldn't get upset about it because, there's nothing you can do but to go with the flow. It is what it is.
Thanks given by:
mar3o (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 10:20 PM   #13
Expert Member

Jul 2018

What about using a Component to HDMI upscaler for your cable box (if it indeed only had composite/component out) to convert 720p/1080i in a 1080p format?

I agree 1000% on the HDMI switcher. If you can find a reliable one for a great price with 4k support and as many ports as you need, all the better for you.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:08 PM   #14
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Bear in mind that you don't always need a HDMI switcher that does everything, if your AVR has enough room for your HDDCP 2.2 equipment, you can plug your standard Blu-ray players, PS3, XBox consoles into a switcher without any issues.

But if you're looking for a switcher that does everything, read the reviews first, most advertise, HDR10, Dolby Vision an so on, but some don't always work in practice.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:58 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBlackKnight View Post
What about using a Component to HDMI upscaler for your cable box (if it indeed only had composite/component out) to convert 720p/1080i in a 1080p format?

I agree 1000% on the HDMI switcher. If you can find a reliable one for a great price with 4k support and as many ports as you need, all the better for you.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's pretty much the opposite of what I wanted. My cable box does have HDMI out. The point was it also has component, so if I use component I can keep another HDMI port free on my TV or receiver. Alas my receiver doesn't allow HD through composite, only SD.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #16
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapbonG View Post
[Show spoiler]
Bluray.com is the best!

oh you just know this post is gonna get deleted and the user gonna get banned!

will these folks never learn?!?

Last edited by crackinhedz; 12-29-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:57 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Best solution is get a region-free 3D player.

Next best solution is an HDMI switcher.

Last would be a component upscaler.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:01 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
will these folks never learn?!?
new spoiler.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 12:51 AM   #19
Expert Member

Jul 2018

Quote:
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's pretty much the opposite of what I wanted. My cable box does have HDMI out.
That part I didn't quite get in your original post, I had assumed your box only had analog out and were looking for an alternative to get the HD signal from component without only being restricted to 480i and so forth.

Yeah, if you say it does have HDMI out, then get an HDMI switcher that has alot of ports for your other non-4k devices and save the HDCP 2.2 HDMI outs for your 4k stuff.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:12 PM   #20
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

I think between a decent TV and AVR you should have more than enough inputs. But I'd always plug a UHD player into the TV if it has two HDMI outputs (the player), that way you can use the TV's picture options.

It just depends on what you want to use directly and what you always use with surround.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion