Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
17 hrs ago
50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Charlie's Angels: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.79

Man of Steel 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
Brightburn (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Thing (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Antz (Blu-ray)
$6.99

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$12.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International

Old 03-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #21
Contributor

Aug 2007
USA

US extras (that are in SD) are always 480 i/p. Many European releases from smaller distributors use 576 i/p. However, the major studios (Paramount, Warner, Fox, etc) usually use 480 i/p. Most US players will not output PAL SD and most TVs won't accept the PAL signal even if the player can output PAL SD. European TVs and Players can handle both PAL and NTSC extras.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Sherwood 5004 player:

Amelie (Australia), Lucky Luke (France), Bugsy Malone (UK) all play fine.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #23

Nov 2009
Seattle

I don't have an all region player, but I do have quite a few region free titles imported from Amazon in France and the UK. I've seen a couple sites specializing in region free players, but they seem expensive and from what I can tell simply feature a mod chip to hardware I can just as easily pick up at Best Buy. Was thinking that an easy solution would simply be to import a standalone player from Amazon UK, or Amazon France and run it through a voltage converter for 110 volts. My only real hesitation is that my television be able to accept a PAL signal. I have a region free SD DVD player that will play any region of regular DVD just fine, and I have a lot of them imported from all over the place. Am I wrong in thinking that most modern HD TV's should be able to accept a PAL signal without a converter just fine? Otherwise, if someone wouldn't mind throwing up a source for a legit blu-ray player that will play A, B, and C region blu's, that would be awesome as well!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #24
Power Member

Apr 2009
Richmond, VA

I live in the US and have found myself importing a lot of blu-rays from various countries, all of which are US MADE films!! It's annoying to have to go to other countries to buy US films.

Most of the imports I've purchased have been Region Free, though there are a few that have not been. If I can buy them cheap enough, I will purchase them, and burn them to a BD-R that's region-free. NO... I'm not condoning piracy.. these are only done with movies that I've already purchased and still own. Unfortunately my PS3 and two standalone Sony BD players are NOT region-free, so this is the only way I can watch movies like the Scream Trilogy, Solomon Kane, and a few others that I've purchased.

--Rick
Old 08-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #25

Sep 2009
Default I emailed the people at 2 Entertain in the UK re: the BBC movies

that they distribute. I was specifically asking about The Lost Prince and the upcoming August 23rd release of Little Dorrit. They told me that all 2 Entertain BBC Blu Rays are region free. I went ahead and ordered The Lost Prince and it looks beautiful in my Sony S550. But someone on Amazon said that Return to Cranford doesn't play in his player, so I don't know how accurate the response to my email is.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #26

Jul 2010
Default steelbooks

is it cheating if i buy normal dvd steelbooks and replace the discs with bluray ones.it works out a lot cheaper and if i keep the amaray cases. i can always put them back if i dont want to sell them i can build up a great collection of steelbooks for a fraction of the price.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #27

Jan 2011
Default Panasonic DMP-BD35 region hack?

Hi guys,

I've just experienced the same problem. I'm in Australia, and just received a Criterion Edition of The Thin Red Line on Blu-ray, and my Panny wouldn't play it.

My retailer is going to ask the geeks at his work for a hack, he's not 100% sure either?

Otherwise I've been advised that you can contact Panasonic and they can give you a code? But it will cost you.

Generally everyone reckons it is hard to do or near impossible at this stage.

ANyone anywhere have any answers or solutions please?

Regards
Old 01-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #28
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelWaltz View Post
Hi guys,

I've just experienced the same problem. I'm in Australia, and just received a Criterion Edition of The Thin Red Line on Blu-ray, and my Panny wouldn't play it.

My retailer is going to ask the geeks at his work for a hack, he's not 100% sure either?

Otherwise I've been advised that you can contact Panasonic and they can give you a code? But it will cost you.

Generally everyone reckons it is hard to do or near impossible at this stage.

ANyone anywhere have any answers or solutions please?

Regards
You'll need to get the player modded.

Until then, you can always check the movie profiles and this forum on blu-ray.com or the following site for to see if a specific title is region locked or not.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

I doubt Panasonic would be willing to give you a code, even for money, since it's against the BDA license. All mods are third-party solutions.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

I've just started importing from the UK for BDs. I had a few PAL DVDs floating around, but my old LG DVD player played them (thing still works after 5 years of wear and tear). My primary machine, a Panasonic DMP-BD65 is region A locked, and won't play PAL DVDs. However, I bought the cheap Seiki-BD660 specifically for Region B/PAL films. I'm hoping to start importing more if the exchange rate stays decent, the stupid Postal Issues straighten themselves out here in Canada, and if the prices are cheaper than the NA one.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #30

Jul 2011
England

I bought my region free player from eBay, has worked for all region A blu-rays I own so far. There are websites dedicated to this stuff where you can purchase modified players or the necessary modifications for your existing player
Old 10-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #31
Expert Member

Feb 2008
Missouri

I bought a LG BD550 code free multi-region player from Amazon.com about a month ago. I've only played a few region 2 blu's so far but it's played everything flawlessly and the audio and video quality has been awesome. Very easy to change regions for blu-ray and all DVDs will play with no changes in settings necessary.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #32
Special Member

Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
I will purchase them, and burn them to a BD-R that's region-free. NO... I'm not condoning piracy.. these are only done with movies that I've already purchased and still own. Unfortunately my PS3 and two standalone Sony BD players are NOT region-free, so this is the only way I can watch movies like the Scream Trilogy, Solomon Kane, and a few others that I've purchased.
Why not spend a few tenners on a region free player?
BD-R 50 discs are still very expensive and since you're not condoning piracy you had to buy either AnyDVD or DVDFab which cost around $150
You could have bought a nice region free player for that money.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #33

Feb 2013

Simply use our links when shopping
Old 03-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
California!

I have a few imported Blu-Ray. Currently have one on the way, worried it won't work tho. Could not find anywhere if it was free or locked - the back cover didn't say anything, but with my luck - it'll be locked.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #35

Jul 2010

As well as many of the Criterion titles the following Region A locked titles will play on a region B Panasonic BD30 player via various button combinations on the remote control to get the player to stop and not display the region coding screen message. The Mill Creek and Echo Bridge discs time out the region coding screen after a few seconds- then the movies can be accessed.

The Cell
15 Minutes
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
The Edge
Blood Simple
Apt Pupil
Sleepwalkers
Book of Blood
Blindness
They/Cursed
The Night Listener/Shadow of a Doubt
The Replacement Killers/Truth or Consequences N.M

Last edited by marblearch; 05-08-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #36
Expert Member

Sep 2010
Royal Wootton Bassett, UK

I have a few US imports that were listed as "Region Free" and so far all of them ha played on my Panasonic DMP BD-65. I have installed all 3 upgrades available from their website.

I also have a couple of Indian BDs that the seller swore were Region Free although the cover did not specify this. They played without any hitch too.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Question about Disney movies from the UK

on Zavvi alot of them are listed as Reegion B, whereas amazon UK often lists them as All regions.

I've been burned by Amazon UK before got sherlock series one and it ended up being only for 50 hz players.

I am currently looking at several disney movies like monster's inc, and Toy story trilogy. Zavvi says b whereas amazon uk says all or region free, just trying to get a handle, also wondering if it is the same for Marvel movies like Iron Man 3.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #38

Jul 2008
-
-
-
Default Region Free Bds

Hi,

There is a site - bluraylies.net or something like that , that is very reliable - AMZ.UK's product page is fairly unreliable.. Uhm, rule of thumb is tat if you cannot confirm that it is region free , then dont buy it - just yet..

For me, l went and got an oppo bdp80 which is region 'switchable' - solves this problem..

D
Old 06-18-2015, 02:46 AM   #39
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2013
South Bay CA

I've bought a few region B locked titles and got them to work fine on my region A only, player. I use the "top menu" workaround. Some of the most recent purchases of B locked movies that have worked are The Loved Ones (UK), Hours (Dutch), '71 (UK) and Australia (France digibook). Out of about 75 B locked titles I've bought, I'd say around 6 or 7 have not worked at all.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #40

May 2010
New Hampshire

I bought a kit to convert my Oppo 83 to region-free. I import a lot of discs from UK, Australia, Germany, etc. Several discs that are listed Region B will actually play on Region A players. I always test a disc on Region A just to see if it will work without having to switch the region. I always update the region compatibility of the disc on this site so others can decide if they want to import. Of course importing so many B-locked discs means I will always have to have a region-free player when purchasing a new player. If others on this site will update the region coding tabs for each movie then that will help when the retailers don't always have the accurate compatibility listed.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International