Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Romeo and Juliet (Blu-ray)
$21.50
9 hrs ago
12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
20 hrs ago
The Fisher King 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
17 hrs ago
Triangle of Sadness 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.54
1 day ago
Secret Admirer (Blu-ray)
$17.99
9 hrs ago
Jet Li Double Feature: The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
The Seventh Seal 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Westworld: Season Four 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

House of the Dragon: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.50
1 day ago
Halloween Ends 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99

The Lukas Moodysson Collection (Blu-ray)
$69.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 06-20-2021, 06:31 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi
Default Burning a "BD5"

I want to burn a disc containing a blu-ray grade mini movie about 15 minutes long.

Does anyone know if most authoring software will be able write something like that to a regular DVD-R? I've heard a little bit about BD5 and BD9 discs; DVDs using high definition video and lossless sound written with blu-ray codecs thus requiring blu-ray players to read.

Is that what the "AVCHD" option I see on multiAVCHD is?

I also might try to burn it as a data disc; most blu-ray players can play files off those too.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:18 AM   #2

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
I want to burn a disc containing a blu-ray grade mini movie about 15 minutes long.

Does anyone know if most authoring software will be able write something like that to a regular DVD-R? I've heard a little bit about BD5 and BD9 discs; DVDs using high definition video and lossless sound written with blu-ray codecs thus requiring blu-ray players to read.

Is that what the "AVCHD" option I see on multiAVCHD is?

I also might try to burn it as a data disc; most blu-ray players can play files off those too.
AVCHD is a term often used to describe a way to write Blu-ray content to DVD media. This content has to be shorter, or have reduced quality, in order to fit in the more limited space, which doesn't seem to be a problem in your case.

Support for AVCHD discs is spotty across players. No DVD players support it. Some Blu-ray players support it, some do not, mostly depending on manufacturer. Sony and Panasonic Blu-ray players usually support it, others usually do not, and there are always exceptions.

Getting a Blu-ray burner and BD-R media is clearly the solution with the broadest compatibility, but it has a price tag (not that bad IMO). Otherwise just making an MKV and playing it off a data disc (DVD-R or USB) may be adequate if your player supports it.
Thanks given by:
Musashi (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post
Getting a Blu-ray burner and BD-R media is clearly the solution with the broadest compatibility, but it has a price tag (not that bad IMO). Otherwise just making an MKV and playing it off a data disc (DVD-R or USB) may be adequate if your player supports it.
Indeed, but fear not: for I already have 2 blu-ray burners on 2 different PCs and have produced several discs. That said, BD-Rs are pricier than DVD-Rs, and I have lots of DVD-Rs standing by, so if I can get this mini-movie ready without using a BD-R that would be great.

Hrm..I've only ever tried an AVCHD format disc in a PS3. I think my LG 4k player might be able to handle it since it can read video off data discs, but perhaps we'll see.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:24 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
Richmond, VA

A BD-5 is a disc that has the specs of a blu-ray disc but fit on a dvd (either a single layer "BD5" or dual layer "BD9" disc). As long as the movie is authored properly, you can use a program such as imgburn and it'll play fine as a blu-ray disc in an actual blu-ray player.

You can get full movies in HD to fit on a dvd by lowering the bit-rate. In fact, most 1080p movies that are streamed typically will fit either a BD5 or BD9. An average 1080p movie with 6mbps encoding will average around 4-6GB in size.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software