Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99
1 day ago
Heart of Dragon (Blu-ray)
$26.99
1 day ago
Halloween Ends 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
21 hrs ago
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Black Adam 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
22 hrs ago
The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Memoirs of a Geisha (Blu-ray)
$6.99
1 day ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

House of the Dragon: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.22
10 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.35
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 01-06-2022, 12:29 AM   #1

Jul 2010
Long Island, NY
Default Blu-Ray Drives: Quietest 5.25" Tray Models When Playing BD Movies

For my new "mid ("mini") tower pc build, I want to use a 5.25" BD drive to play BD movies via https://jriver.com/

Currently, I have free access to Panasonic SW-5584-C and Plextor PX-891SAF
BD drives.

Of course, with the tower several feet from my ears and with my surround sound system going I wouldn't expect much if any drive noise to be noticeable. However, have you used one or more specific models or brands of BD drives, which were found to consistently produce low mechanical or vibration noise when playing 1080p BD movies?

Conversely, which model drives have you found to generate very noticeable noise during BD movie playback?

Also do most BD drives get very warm when playing full length BD movies?

And/or have you noticed if your tower's case fans run any faster/noisier during BD movie playback?

Lastly, do you find that playing (never or rarely burning) BD movies more often on BD drives than playing them on your standalone BD player tends to shorten BD drive life?
Old 01-08-2022, 12:59 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010

You likely won't have any problems. Some drives will "thrash" and produce noise when reading a disc, but that's usually only during the initial reading. The Asian market has pro-grade drives that are said to have low-noise/low-vibration characteristics, which consumer drives don't have. Drives will get warm when reading a disc and there's no way around that, but it's unlikely the heat will be an issue, unless you are binge watching constantly or using an internal drive on a laptop/SFF desktop/AIO desktop. Drives will wear out when reading/burning discs, but burning is what makes the most wear/heat and pushes a drive to it's replacement date. As far as system cooling goes, it's really only an issue for video playback when you are using GPU shaders and such, to decode/process video, which doesn't happen for DVD/BD/UHD-BD playback, as doing that puts the GPU into a state equivalent to "gaming", which uses the GPU resources instead of the video decoding hardware built into the GPU.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software